Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Minsky posted:

Is there any way to add some sort of subtle procedural noise to these creations?

All these shots of people's creations look great, but they all look a bit out of place. They sort of look like computer models that were dropped into this organic landscape because they all have perfectly smooth walls with perfectly sharp corners.

With the world consisting of voxels, it seems like this should be possible.

People, being new at the game, and the game also being new/alpha opt for simple building. That's why.
I think most of the constructions here are just people posting their own work.

There's a few quirks with the more advanced tools like smooth and line; but people also aren't using them to their fullest potential. The line tool is kind of broken right now.
You can make 'noise' on walls by adding random voxels to surfaces and smoothing them down.

crazystray posted:

Has there been any word on how/if this game will interact with EQN? All I've gathered is that they may use some peoples designs and buildings in EQN, but I really want there to be a more tangible connection. It seems like it would be awesome if the Landmark islands were actual islands you could travel to in EQN and potentially use as your home. I'm also wondering if Landmark is planned to be more than just a building game, with adventuring and survival, etc...?

EQNL is like a testing grounds for EQN and also its own game. As features are implemented in the internal builds of EQN, they'll be tested and featured on a large scale in EQNL.
The lead dev said alpha's current state is "60% complete". He mentioned stuff like combat, PvP, player made quests, player made scripting, etc.
I don't know how much of EQNL will actually interact with EQN though.

Also, my current WIP:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
My house, I pretty much used the whole plot in all dimensions.

One half of my maze. I tried to hide it so people will be surprised when they accidentally find themselves in it. This level is built into the buildings foundation.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 11, 2014

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I really enjoy looking at people's creations!

I love the mazes and stuff. Someone should make a treasure chest and put it in the center of a maze or at the end of a jumping puzzle. I'm guessing it's not possible to pick up stuff on someone else's claim? If that became something you could toggle on individual items or piles, then the owner of a maze/jumping puzzle would be able to drop a prize into the chest. Like, a couple gems or a pile of resources or something, just to have a fun little payoff for the first person to get to the end. :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That spiral staircase is awesome. Good job!

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

grrarg posted:

Man, gently caress sapphire. Cobalt nodes with it are way too rare. Now I see why Munion made a Tradesman's Sifter. It is much faster to get sapphires from sifting stone into cotton gem bags.

Its hard to find a Tradesman sifter, can someone pinpoint Munion's Sifter or another Tradesman's shifter location for me? I've got 50 sapphire after about 3 hours of harvesting.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE

Logic posted:

Its hard to find a Tradesman sifter, can someone pinpoint Munion's Sifter or another Tradesman's shifter location for me? I've got 50 sapphire after about 3 hours of harvesting.

This is the one that I've been using: Public Crafting Workstations

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

ZLogic posted:

This is the one that I've been using: Public Crafting Workstations

Awesome, thank you.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Remb posted:

People, being new at the game, and the game also being new/alpha opt for simple building. That's why.
I think most of the constructions here are just people posting their own work.

There's a few quirks with the more advanced tools like smooth and line; but people also aren't using them to their fullest potential. The line tool is kind of broken right now.
You can make 'noise' on walls by adding random voxels to surfaces and smoothing them down.

Right, I didn't mean to disparage anyone's work. The noise brush you describe is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
They're shutting down the servers in ten minutes. Downtime is supposed to be "minimal" which could mean anywhere from a few minutes to a day. Don't forget to template your poo poo.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Do any of you own "Cliffside Retreat" on Pingu? I fell into a hole in it and I can't get out t:mad:>

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

fireWARKs posted:

Do any of you own "Cliffside Retreat" on Pingu? I fell into a hole in it and I can't get out t:mad:>

Not I.

Esc and then return to safety doesn't work for you?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

joebob posted:

Not I.

Esc and then return to safety doesn't work for you?

It's "evacuate to safety" now and it doesn't do anything for me :( When it used to be "return to ground" it worked fine... I wonder why they changed it?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So I've been bugged since Friday. I deleted my character to try to fix my messed up claim, and the claim never went away. Stuck waiting for the devs to fix things.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

fireWARKs posted:

If you're talking about this place...

Sorry. :blush:

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Tyberius posted:

If you're talking about this place...

Sorry. :blush:

Nope! Your build looks pretty sweet, though :3:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

fireWARKs posted:

Nope! Your build looks pretty sweet, though :3:

so did you get out? I could come bring you a grapple.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I am on the fence for buying the $60 alpha access.

What would you guys say are reasons to buy and not to buy?

Edit:

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz Processor, GTX 460, 12GB RAM. Anyone with similar specs running this game? I don't mind medium settings, low is fine depending how terrible it looks.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Did they forget to put Tourmaline into the game or am I just lost and incredibly unlucky?

edit: I found one! :toot:

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 12, 2014

Huttan
May 15, 2013
Tourmaline should be easy to spot in desert areas. If you can catch me online, I have lots of gems of various types you can have. Not enough Sapphire though, that one is real hard to get.

http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Tourmaline_%28material%29

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Obscurity posted:

Edit:

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz Processor, GTX 460, 12GB RAM. Anyone with similar specs running this game? I don't mind medium settings, low is fine depending how terrible it looks.

If you don't mind being in a legitimate alpha, that is to say it's very buggy with little content, and you want to take an active part in helping determine the game's future, then definitely buy in I say.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Edit:

Do you have $60 to burn?
Theres very little content right now. You can build poo poo and run around spanking trees. Thats about it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Well, in regards to having little content..I pulled this from a stream just now:

quote:

12:34 omeeddariani: we'll post out the roadmap today/tomorrow - so that should have a water update.

He is a member of SOE/EQNL team that stopped by to chat in a Twitch stream.

I guess I'll base my buy in on how soon worthwhile features will be showing up.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Obscurity posted:

Well, in regards to having little content..I pulled this from a stream just now:

He is a member of SOE/EQNL team that stopped by to chat in a Twitch stream.

I guess I'll base my buy in on how soon worthwhile features will be showing up.
Omeed isn't *just* a member of the EQNL team.
He's the BEST member of the team.

He has his own in-game emote (/onod) that comes from one of their livecasts where there was some discussion of the Iksar not wearing clothes - and therefore being 'naked Iksar'...or something. (Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxZXszcM_s

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 12, 2014

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Somehow I found myself buying this game today after a brief read of the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to lose a lot of time to this.

Small problem right now though...I can't find a place to put a claim down. No matter where I try it is always red. I've travelled to a bunch of different zones, and even though I see people with claims that are very close together it won't let me place a claim anywhere, even if I have lots of room around me. Am I doing something wrong?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

InternetJunky posted:

Somehow I found myself buying this game today after a brief read of the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to lose a lot of time to this.

Small problem right now though...I can't find a place to put a claim down. No matter where I try it is always red. I've travelled to a bunch of different zones, and even though I see people with claims that are very close together it won't let me place a claim anywhere, even if I have lots of room around me. Am I doing something wrong?

Every claim has a 'buffer zone' around it that's multiple times larger than the claim itself. So you need to place quite some distance (either vertically or horizontally) from any existing claim.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
Most of the claim spots are taken, except for the edges. Try less populated islands and servers. You can angle your claim vision and look around for nearby non-red patches, but it has to be pretty far from any other claims.

You're supposed to eventually be able to permit people to build near you, but I'm not sure if that's what's happening with nearby claims.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

quote:

Topaz is a Tier 2 gem and can be found on the surface in Tier 2 areas

Tier 2 areas? Is this why I haven't found any in my almost three hour search now?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Phosphia posted:

Tier 2 areas? Is this why I haven't found any in my almost three hour search now?

Each tier area can have gems up to 2 tiers higher, so tier 2 gems can be found in both tier 1 and tier 2 islands - but they will be more common in tier 2. In my experience, the chances of higher tier stuff spawning seems to increase as you get further away from the center of the island as well.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Vulpes posted:

Each tier area can have gems up to 2 tiers higher, so tier 2 gems can be found in both tier 1 and tier 2 islands - but they will be more common in tier 2. In my experience, the chances of higher tier stuff spawning seems to increase as you get further away from the center of the island as well.

How do I get to a tier 2 area?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Phosphia posted:

How do I get to a tier 2 area?

Click on the crystal in the middle of the nexus spires.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Vulpes posted:

Click on the crystal in the middle of the nexus spires.

Oh, would I want to move my claim to that area then? Mine is currently on the edge of the first one.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ZLogic posted:

Most of the claim spots are taken, except for the edges. Try less populated islands and servers. You can angle your claim vision and look around for nearby non-red patches, but it has to be pretty far from any other claims.

You're supposed to eventually be able to permit people to build near you, but I'm not sure if that's what's happening with nearby claims.
Thanks for the answer. I managed to finally find a spot after checking lots and lots of zones.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Phosphia posted:

Oh, would I want to move my claim to that area then? Mine is currently on the edge of the first one.
Not any moreso than you want to sell your house or move apartments so that you live right next to where you work. Just like life, it's easier in Landmark to find a nice neighborhood and commute to 'work'.

The central crystal lets you go to different Islands ('neighborhoods') to visit (or mine, etc. as the case may be.)

Also, the "appears on other tiers" thing works both ways. I've seen plenty of Silver and Topaz on Serenity/Pingo, which is a T3 Island.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Also, the "appears on other tiers" thing works both ways. I've seen plenty of Silver and Topaz on Serenity/Pingo, which is a T3 Island.

Each tier can spawn resources +1/-1 tier. So Tier 1 gets 1-2, Tier 2 gets 1-3, Tier 3 gets 2-4. And Tier 5 resources are currently unavailable.

There's some reference tables here: http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Gathering

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
SoE is live on Twitch right now if you want to take a look. They just started about 15 mins ago.

http://www.twitch.tv/eqnlandmark

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

G Prestige posted:

SoE is live on Twitch right now if you want to take a look. They just started about 15 mins ago.

http://www.twitch.tv/eqnlandmark

BURLED WOOD!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
PLASTER and SANDSTONE!!

My design will work now!

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Sandstone textures already existed under Alabaster, but I never tried using them. Did they not work?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New patch notes!

•Procedural props will no longer spawn on your claim. If they previously did, they will be removed and free you up to manipulate your claim appropriately!
• Fixed an exploit that would allow people to place props on other people’s claims and have them be “immune” to manipulation by the claim owner.
• Added 8 new props! Their recipes can be found on the Copper Reinforced Saw Table, the Tin Trimmed Work Bench and the Rubicite Trimmed Work Bench.
• Add 12 new materials to use when building! Sand, Stucco, Plaster and 9 different Sandstones are now usable in game!
• Fixed an issue with a tree that has been harvested would still be visible for a few seconds after the destruction happened.
• Fixed an issue that made the quantity arrows on the crafting or stack splitting windows difficult to click.
• Fixed an issue where your selected server could change while sitting on the character select screen.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when placing a claim.
• Fixed the “white box” issue when dragging items from window to window in the UI.
• Fixed an issue where the game settings window was too small by default and cutting off some of the sliders and options.
• Fixed a bug when strafing while running that could cause issues.
• The Trade window has gotten a facelift.
• Fixed an issue that could cause a template (or a paste) to come in to the world with the wrong rotation than the preview showed.
• Fixed a bug where the chat window wouldn’t auto-scroll to the bottom as things happened around you or chat came in.
• Fixed an issue on laptops with the intro movie being choppy.
• F1 should now open the start menu.
• ‘U’ should now properly open claim management.
• Fixed a problem with the Explorer and Trailblazer flag recipes showing up incorrectly.
• Fixed an issue where the inventory window would be behave differently if you closed it with escape versus closing it with the ‘I’ key.
• Changed the default screenshot folder from being EQNext to being EQNLandmark.
• Chat should now be colored appropriately for different types of messages.
• Fixed an issue that could cause some of the controls (rotate, scale, move) to stay in the world after you finished using different building tools or prop manipulation tools.
• Evac To Safety should work reliably now.
• Added stats to the upper left corner (with the framerate) to help diagnose issues some people are having with lag.
• We now stop a trade from going through if it would result in either player losing items. You now have to have enough open space in your inventory for the incoming items.
• You can now drop items on the tabs in the inventory to move them between your main and your collection inventory.
• Icons on the hotbar of items that you’ve consumed or moved to your void vault will now be inactive instead of disappearing.
• You should now only see the health bars of trees you’re currently harvesting.
• Added item quantity to the drag icon as you drag and drop stacks between windows.
• Adjust lighting so that it is consistent between islands and more consistent as the day progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Is the update still going on? The launcher crashes as soon as it starts updating.

e: It's updating!

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread