Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Awwww... He canceled it four hours ago. I guess someone pointed out that he was a loving idiot.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Only Shallow posted:

Can vouch for this seller. Our replacement came in today.

The swap was easy. The Twin Fami is one of the nicest things to work on since it's a Famicom board, the drive, and a lot of empty space.

Attempted Twin Famicom disk repairs day 2:

gently caress it. Buying a replacement drive.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

And surprise Zanac on the unlabeled side 2 of Ice Hockey!

The best surprise.

Ambitious Spider posted:

talk of the best horizontal shooter, and not one mention of Lightening Force?

For shame

I know TFIV/LF is awesome but this was about a previous generation of very well known classic arcade horizontal shooters, not just "best horizontal shooter" in general :). Gradius, R-Type, Darius are shooters almost every retro gamer is familiar with in one way or anther.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Hey neo geo dudes, I bought my neo geo multicart for 65 bucks plus shipping. I'll post the site when I'm at my pc. Shipping was about 30 bucks but it was 2 days to get to Canada from Hong Kong.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Random Stranger posted:

Awwww... He canceled it four hours ago. I guess someone pointed out that he was a loving idiot.

How do I get a refund?!?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Bing the Noize posted:

:supaburn: To all the budding Neo idiots out there Jamma Boards is selling 161 in 1's for $99 + shipping right now

drat me and my lack of money. That and a converter for my AES would be a great addition.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Whenever I see people with pictures like this as their avatars I always have to stop and realize, that he believes this is the best picture of him that exists, and he may well be right.

Edit: He couldn't find a picture where he was smiling? Or maybe didn't have heavily gelled frosted tips?

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 12, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I... I think he is smiling.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
That's unfortunate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heran Bago posted:

It's the meth.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

quote:

Hey guys im Michael Mcdonald and i have been so infactuated with rpg games especially the lufia series after taito and neverland went bankrupt all lufia fans lost hope for any more lufia games well ive been thinking about it for a long time and am going to make a sequal to the game i hope to release it on ps vita and steam if i put the time and effort thats needed into this project this could all come true
_____________/

That's some sentence.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I can't help but imagine he's in one of those PBS documentaries where they catch up with the professor and he's out in the middle of a windy field, trying to shout over the wind.

Except this time, its really bright in his moms basement and there's a bunch of fans going, and behind the cameraman there's a methlab.

:allears:

edit: Honestly, I'd like to see Lufia revisited, because I loved the poo poo out of those games when I was a kid, and I still load it up on an emulator on occassion, but boy did that guy do a poor job of selling me on it.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 12, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just bit the bullet on the 161-in-1. Depending on how I like it, I might have Samurai Shodown 1-3 (legit) MVS carts to unload to some any goons who are interested. :thumb:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Heran Bago posted:

Lamprey smile.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

RZA Encryption posted:

quote:

Hey guys im Michael Mcdonald
_____________/

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Just bit the bullet on the 161-in-1. Depending on how I like it, I might have Samurai Shodown 1-3 (legit) MVS carts to unload to some any goons who are interested. :thumb:

All I remember about those games is the green guy with claws (obviously the best guy) and VICTOLY!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Agrias120 posted:

SamSho 2 is all you need anyway.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Has anyone done the component mod on an SNES? is there a descent walkthrough for the various chips? All I can find is threads full of people arguing. I have 3 SNES's and access to a few more, so whatever one mods the easiest I'm pretty sure I have it or can get it.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Rod, the trick with the component mod is that you're looking for early-model SNES' that use a particular encoder chip; the one labeled S-ENC, the other encoders such as S-RGB do not have Component output.

As for wiring it up, I've noticed alot of people seem to consistently disagree with eachother, I'll have a peruse of the datasheet if I find a translated one.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

RodShaft posted:

Has anyone done the component mod on an SNES? is there a descent walkthrough for the various chips? All I can find is threads full of people arguing. I have 3 SNES's and access to a few more, so whatever one mods the easiest I'm pretty sure I have it or can get it.

Only the early composite/svideo encoders are compatible so don't look for a 1chip.

Do you have a CRT that is standard-def only that both has component jacks and doesn't take RGB? If not, it's not really worth bothering with. If your CRT supports HD signals then it most likely has the same signal problems as LCDs and plasmas do.

The levels are a bit weak coming out of the S-ENC so you need to amp the Y-B and Y-R lines. Y itself can just be taken from the Y S-video pin on the AV connector.

The novelty of having it working is cool but you'd get the same results without having to modify the system by using an RGB to YPbPr transcoder. Unless you have a model 2, but then it doesn't do native component anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Heran Bago posted:

Attempted Twin Famicom disk repairs day 2:

gently caress it. Buying a replacement drive.

Hey missed replying to you yesterday but I have realigned the head before and this is what I remember from it

The easiest way was to turn the gears and watch the head move outwards. Once it hits the furthest spot it will then slam back into the closest spot in the drive. It's a crapshoot and takes a few hours to do but this is the process:

1) Turn belt so the head is all the way out
2) Turn belt so it goes back to the most-inner portion, stop the second it goes in and does not go back out. This takes a few times of turning the belt to figure out the process but you want it to be as close to the drive as possible
3) Get out your drive key and loosen the spindle head so you can turn it without causing the belt to turn
4) You want to align it like this picture

5) Repeat steps for the next 5 hours until it finally works

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I just want to say that any private owner and rental establishment that puts stickers on labels and/or writes on the label should be shot into the motherfucking sun.

Was going to buy Shining Wisdom at a local place until I saw the disc with its giant loving SAM'S VIDEO sticker on it with what looks to be yet another sticker underneath that. I don't want to mess with that for fear of loving up the label further. :smith:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

I just want to say that any private owner and rental establishment that puts stickers on labels and/or writes on the label should be shot into the motherfucking sun.

Was going to buy Shining Wisdom at a local place until I saw the disc with its giant loving SAM'S VIDEO sticker on it with what looks to be yet another sticker underneath that. I don't want to mess with that for fear of loving up the label further. :smith:

Bunch of savages in this town. I know how you feel man, I once got some sticker off a copy of Last Action Hero without messing up the label but I wouldn't have even tried on any other game. I figured if I destroyed the label oh well it's Last Action Hero.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RodShaft posted:

I'd like to know this as well. There's so many arguments as to whether or not resistors are needed and all sorts of other oddities; no one can seem to decide on exactly what is needed for this mod.

Also it's only available on a single one of the SNES motherboard revisions (out of like 9 of them). Just being an older SNES is not enough from what I know.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

parasyte posted:

The novelty of having it working is cool but you'd get the same results without having to modify the system by using an RGB to YPbPr transcoder. Unless you have a model 2, but then it doesn't do native component anyway.

Yeah, I'll second this. Just get one of those SCART-to-YUV / SCART-to-component transcoder black boxes. Tracking down the right model of SNES and then doing the mod is just going to be more hassle than it's worth.

Actually, now that I have my Sony medical display monitor and am running raw RGB out my SNES and Genesis on it, I'd be willing to sell you my old transcoder for a decent price as I no longer need it. PM me if you're interested and we can discuss it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

I feel lucky everyday I'm reminded that there's a local shop that opened up around here where they deliberately dull their stickers and only put one on at a time and not on any cartridge label and will actually remove the sticker as you buy it. :unsmith:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

manpurse posted:

Hey neo geo dudes, I bought my neo geo multicart for 65 bucks plus shipping. I'll post the site when I'm at my pc. Shipping was about 30 bucks but it was 2 days to get to Canada from Hong Kong.

Which one did you get/from where? I found a ton on aliexpress couple days ago, I was gonna get mine from there cause I gotta have my waku :smugmrgw:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Guess what came today!*

My Recca repro cart!

*I would also have accepted "you did". :gizz:

Edit: Hooooooooooly poo poo this game. There is no :stare: big enough.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 13, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Edit: Hooooooooooly poo poo this game. There is no :stare: big enough.

You bought a repro cart of a game you hadn't played. Way to roll them dice, son! I like to play a really old NES game like Star Soldier and then switch to Recca and just marvel at the difference.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 13, 2014

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Bing the Noize posted:

Which one did you get/from where? I found a ton on aliexpress couple days ago, I was gonna get mine from there cause I gotta have my waku :smugmrgw:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/400143

Really, really good store, I was surprised.

Way better than Ebay.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

McCracAttack posted:

You bought a repo cart of a game you hadn't played. Way to roll them dice, son! I like to play a really old NES game like Star Soldier and then switch to Recca and just marvel at the difference.

I poured myself a beer, sat down to play and couldn't tear myself away long enough to take a sip. Like the only reason I'm not playing right this minute is I need a break because I think it gave me PTSD. :sbahj:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

manpurse posted:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/400143

Really, really good store, I was surprised.

Way better than Ebay.

Cool. They're not the ones selling the multicart I was gonna get but good to know someone had a good experience buying multicarts from Aliexpress!

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Bing the Noize posted:

Cool. They're not the ones selling the multicart I was gonna get but good to know someone had a good experience buying multicarts from Aliexpress!

Which one are you looking at getting?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bing the Noize posted:

Excellentcom comes fairly well regarded on other forums, but I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for their shipping time. They've got a much better selection than jammaboards, though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

manpurse posted:

Which one are you looking at getting?

138 in 1 aka the only one that has Waku Waku 7 :buddy:

Also check out this sick nasty TV stand I got for free. Looks 10000x better than that godawful coffee stand I was using

Only thing that sucks about it is that it can't accommodate a fully assembled tower of power and there's no room for anything else.

edit: Ah gently caress I knew i was forgetting something. No idea where the Saturn's going. Not too worried about the impending MVS/supergun rig because that's gonna end up living inside a candy cab.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2014

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
You could try emailing the guys.

They seem to have a ton of crap not listed on their storefront.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

parasyte posted:

Only the early composite/svideo encoders are compatible so don't look for a 1chip.

Do you have a CRT that is standard-def only that both has component jacks and doesn't take RGB? If not, it's not really worth bothering with. If your CRT supports HD signals then it most likely has the same signal problems as LCDs and plasmas do.

The levels are a bit weak coming out of the S-ENC so you need to amp the Y-B and Y-R lines. Y itself can just be taken from the Y S-video pin on the AV connector.

I have access to a dozen hdtv's if it works on one it'll be worth it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone know a Famicom Everdrive N8 seller in Europe other than NeoTienda? The "China Edition" would be fine I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Heran Bago posted:

Does anyone know a Famicom Everdrive N8 seller in Europe other than NeoTienda? The "China Edition" would be fine I think.

Ukraine's not good enough?

Also gently caress they didn't have any more 138 in 1's and had to refund my money. I'm so :dawkins101:

• Locked thread