Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

alnilam posted:

Are these rechargeables old? They could have been cycled enough that they suck now. Cycling -> degradation. The Ti-89 needs more power than, say, a TV remote, so the same batteries may work in other things but not a Ti-89.

I had had older rechargeables in there, but went and bought a new pack, both due to your thinking and also because my charger doesn't like some of my rechargeables, so that wasn't it; I guess it really just did need that extra .8 V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Geokinesis posted:

Those ingredients are awful.

I know HFCS is popular in the US because it is cheaper but I've noticed more and more UK foods replacing sugar with it? Is this due to it becoming cheaper to produce/import to the UK? Or just because a lot of multinationals have a strong US base.

I don't think anybody prefers the taste of HFCS to regular sugar, so it's almost certainly a cost thing.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

The Door Frame posted:

Where's a good place to get lingerie?

For yourself, brick and mortar store? I love Intimacy. Pricey, but personal and you'll get what makes you feel awesome. Online I buy from Her Room sometimes. For practical stuff, I hit the outlets a lot. For someone else, get a gift certificate or don't do that. Buying lingerie for someone else says "I expect you to wear this for my pleasure" and that's pretty creepy. But if a girl wants it, make shopping a date and you both get what you want.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You mean I only need to eat 10 pop tarts for 100% of my RDA?

That's awesome!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

tuyop posted:

You mean I only need to eat 10 pop tarts for 100% of my RDA?

That's awesome!

Actually taking the nutritional panel as a guide, 10 pop tarts would pretty much give you everything you need except calcium and Vitamin C. Which kind of shows you how those things are useful as a guide but not a definite meal-planning tool.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I just yanked this icicle that was hanging from the bottom of my vinyled house:

There's a bunch more that are sticking to the stone foundation that's holding up the house. It looks like melting peanut butter.

Is this concerning? Why is it all brown like that?

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 12, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Needs a bigger image so we can really see it I think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the water that's forming that icicle running over something iron? The water looks rusty to me from that pic.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What happens to older TV shows once their syndicated life ends? Do studios have salesmen try to get TV stations to carry them?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is the water that's forming that icicle running over something iron? The water looks rusty to me from that pic.

There's no iron. It's a wooden house, with plaster (I think) over it, and then vinyl on top of that. Definitely weird.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Needs a bigger image so we can really see it I think.

Sorry, I timg'd it.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

There's no iron. It's a wooden house, with plaster (I think) over it, and then vinyl on top of that. Definitely weird.

Sorry, I timg'd it.

Brown icicles sometimes form off of wood. As far as I know, it's usually a combination of dust/dirt (that easily collects in the grooves of wood), and the natural decomposition process of wood when it comes in contact with water. You have to figure, the water gets inside the texture of the wood and then expands -- effectively scrubbing it. If you took a wet washcloth to a old rear end wooden beam it would probably come off brown too.

Plus, you can see that the brown is most saturated in the tips. So it's definitely just floating particles. If you want to find out more, melt it in a bowl and let it sit for a while. You may end up with clean water with dirt settled at the bottom.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nvm, stupid SALR

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a way to quote someone's quote?

quote:

If you were to quote me for example this entire sentence would be gone

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a way to quote someone's quote?

Alan Smithee posted:

if you quote me this will be gone

everyone posted:

use sparingly because nested quotes are bad

you just have to add it manually.

edit: you can even nest linked posts if you add the post ID in the quote tags but I dunno why you would want to.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Door Frame posted:

Where's a good place to get lingerie?

Kind of depends on what you are looking for, but the classic standby is Victoria's Secret. Kind of expensive IIRC, and I can't speak to the quality. (I don't buy lingerie and my wife doesn't wear it)

For less expensive stuff, if you're just looking for a basic selection, you can try the Intimates department of your average department store (JC Penny, Kohls, Boston Store, Macy's, etc.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Star Wars came out, was it actually celebrated for it's good writing? Or did it just look really cool? I'm arguing with friends, and he said the following movies were popular for their superb writing:

Terminator 2
Aliens
the Star Trek series

Am I wrong that these have always been kind of dumb and poorly written? Could someone who was alive / an adult when these came out give me a good idea of what the general public believed about these movies / series?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Uh, definitely not. T2 was a technical achievement, not much more. Perhaps they were praised for their writing within your friends sci-fi circles, but those are definitely not known as shining examples of writing.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Turtlicious posted:

When Star Wars came out, was it actually celebrated for it's good writing? Or did it just look really cool? I'm arguing with friends, and he said the following movies were popular for their superb writing:

Terminator 2
Aliens
the Star Trek series

Am I wrong that these have always been kind of dumb and poorly written? Could someone who was alive / an adult when these came out give me a good idea of what the general public believed about these movies / series?

You could try the General Movie Questions thread in CD, there are some insanely smart movie dudes in there who will give you what you want plus a lot more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871728

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Terminator 2
Aliens
the Star Trek series

T2 was a total spectacle, everyone knew the writing was mediocre. Aliens similarly, though it is better written in general, it's not amazing or anything. Star Trek TOS was actually pretty ambitious and progressive for the time, but it was not well liked during the original run, and didn't have a significant following until syndication.

EDIT: Star Wars was very popular in its day, so much so it invented the blockbusters type movie. Special effects were a big part, but it also has a well paced, classic narrative. The writing in terms of lines was solid, but it's the structure and aesthetics that really stand out.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2014

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a gas can in my shed that's about a quarter full, but I can't remember what octane gas I have in it (probably 87, but I can't say for sure). Does that matter when I go to fill it up? If the weather goes to poo poo I'll be using it in a generator.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Turtlicious posted:

When Star Wars came out, was it actually celebrated for it's good writing? Or did it just look really cool?

Both. Here's a look at reviews from when those movies were released:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/originaltrilogyreception2.html

Here are some original reviews:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/star-wars/10430039/Star-Wars-the-Telegraphs-original-1977-review.html
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-1977
http://variety.com/1977/film/reviews/star-wars-3-1200424073/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As long as what you're using it in can take 87, it's fine to mix octanes. If you mix 87 and 92, it'll just average to something like 89.

One thing that might be a concern, though, is whether the gas is so old that it's broken down. Which wouldn't be a tragedy and would probably work fine, just wouldn't be super healthy for your generator. How long as it been in there?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

jackpot posted:

I've got a gas can in my shed that's about a quarter full, but I can't remember what octane gas I have in it (probably 87, but I can't say for sure). Does that matter when I go to fill it up? If the weather goes to poo poo I'll be using it in a generator.

Doesn't matter as long as the generator takes gas and not diesel. However, if the gas is more than a few months old, it'll be bad for the engine and you'll want to get fresh gas.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

alnilam posted:

One thing that might be a concern, though, is whether the gas is so old that it's broken down. Which wouldn't be a tragedy and would probably work fine, just wouldn't be super healthy for your generator. How long as it been in there?
The gas in the can's been there probably a little less than a year; last time I used it in the lawnmower it worked fine, but that was a at least three months ago. Will the gas station have a place where I can dispose of my old gas?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hoobajoo posted:

EDIT: Star Wars was very popular in its day, so much so it invented the blockbusters type movie. Special effects were a big part, but it also has a well paced, classic narrative. The writing in terms of lines was solid, but it's the structure and aesthetics that really stand out.

Like an awful lot of what Lucas did, it's classic because he copied someone else:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Fortress

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Did something happen to youtube or adblock in the last few days that would cause me to get ads before almost every video when I used to get hardly any?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

spog posted:

Like an awful lot of what Lucas did, it's classic because he copied someone else:

To be fair, it is a very, very old story formula.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

spog posted:

Please list all the things he copied from that movie.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Lorde's song "Team" is on the radio every 15 minutes, so I can't help but hear it often. Does anyone else think the line "we're on the same team" in the chorus sounds more like "we're only 17"?

I've read the lyrics while listening to it on YouTube and there's just no loving way she says what the lyrics indicate. Am I crazy?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

spog posted:

I mean, yes, but he also sat with Campbell's Monomyth out in front of him, and treated it as a checklist. I'm not casting any value judgment on Lucas, I think we can all agree he's a bit of a hack, but the movie itself had a great structure and pace with groundbreaking effects.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Baldbeard posted:

Lorde's song "Team" is on the radio every 15 minutes, so I can't help but hear it often. Does anyone else think the line "we're on the same team" in the chorus sounds more like "we're only 17"?

I've read the lyrics while listening to it on YouTube and there's just no loving way she says what the lyrics indicate. Am I crazy?

The lyrics are "we're on each other's team," which does sound more like "only 17" but I can hear the real words pretty clearly.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
My colleague just gave me a riddle. It's probably not even a very good riddle, but it's really bugging me:

"(you can’t have six of these in a certain sport)
+
(a man does this to another man, but in the interest of seducing a woman);

(A certain Seeger recommended you do this three times)
+
(this has four legs and a head but can’t move)"

Apparently the solution to the riddle indicates the name of a restaurant (Korean, I think) where I'm to meet him for dinner. I'm pretty sure the answer to the last part is "table" (or perhaps "bed"), and I'm sure someone who knows anything about sports or the Seegers could figure out parts one or three . . . any takers?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

jackpot posted:

The gas in the can's been there probably a little less than a year; last time I used it in the lawnmower it worked fine, but that was a at least three months ago. Will the gas station have a place where I can dispose of my old gas?

Top it off with fresh gas and it should work fine for any small engine, since the fresh gas will dilute the old stuff.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Basketball, but also a ton of other sports have 5 players in play at one time.

Could be referring to being a wingman? Also the name of a basketball position.

Singer Pete Seegar wrote the song "Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is a Season)"

Google seems to like table for the last.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You get kicked out of the game when you have 6 fouls in the NBA, so foul/fouls.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Actie posted:

My colleague just gave me a riddle. It's probably not even a very good riddle, but it's really bugging me:

+

+

Apparently the solution to the riddle indicates the name of a restaurant (Korean, I think) where I'm to meet him for dinner. I'm pretty sure the answer to the last part is "table" (or perhaps "bed"), and I'm sure someone who knows anything about sports or the Seegers could figure out parts one or three . . . any takers?

Fouls (in basketball) makes the most sense, although something like interior offensive line (football) could also fit but seems awkward given the context
+
Wingman?

So the first part may be something involving birds/wings or something.

Turn
+
Table

So the second part seems to involve DJing or something.

Edit: Assuming you are in New York, I'm guessing he wants to meet you at Turntable Mad for Chicken.

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 12, 2014

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

What happens to older TV shows once their syndicated life ends? Do studios have salesmen try to get TV stations to carry them?

From what I remember in old media courses, there are a couple of trade shows where local networks and studios basically meet and pitch/sell/buy. There are also a number of brokers and trade associations that deal in it. It's made more interesting because you syndicate in each local market (obviously) and thus the rates are different. There's a lot of variability in terms of what will be successful and how much you can charge for syndicated series in Boise vs. Los Angeles.

Put differently: I'm struggling to think of any sizeable industry where there aren't salesmen or deal brokers. I guarantee people are hustling to get the "best" show available to a local station in that station's budget.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Actie posted:

+

+

Just log onto yelp and look for "Turn Table" nearby.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Douche4Sale posted:

Fouls (in basketball) makes the most sense, although something like interior offensive line (football) could also fit but seems awkward given the context
+
Wingman?

So the first part may be something involving birds/wings or something.

Turn
+
Table

So the second part seems to involve DJing or something.

Edit: Assuming you are in New York, I'm guessing he wants to meet you at Turntable Mad for Chicken.

We're at three out of four! I don't know which three, but I presume "wingman" is the odd man out . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Actie posted:

We're at three out of four! I don't know which three, but I presume "wingman" is the odd man out . . .

Foul can be poultry/chicken and the verb for wingman would be wing, I guess? I think he's referring to a place you know.