Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Grrl Anachronism posted:

:confused: 'This is not true.'
:downs: 'I DECIDE WHAT TRUTH IS'

Not only has that joke been around for at least 60 years, but they really managed to find a terrible way of retelling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Any time someone says "I'm just sayin'" what they mean is "I'm about to say something that any reasonable person knows is a stupid thing, but I will not allow you to challenge me on it, for I am 'just sayin' it"

I don't get this. A joke can just be a joke, why turn a joke into STDH.txt? Does it make it funnier to some people?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Deep dude.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I dunno man, what is facebook for if not inspirational quotes that you insist vaguely apply to your life

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
*lights a cigarette**Blows smoke* I was in the friendzone once. I thought I'd be there forever. *blows smoke* Even posted a blog about it between maudlin masturbation seshs... *Blows smoke* But one day... *blows smoke* ...I got out. *blows smoke*

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

While Lawrence of Arabia was talking about the Arab revolt to overthrow the Ottoman Empire and restore their nation, land and spirit, this douche is talking about... His car dashboard?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This is a pretty small thing but drat it's annoying. I'm in a Facebook group where everyone speaks Breton. The title is in Breton, 99.99% of the posts are in Breton, it should be pretty clear that Breton is the normal language there. However, this lady decides she wants to come in and demand that everyone stop the conversation they're having and translate everything into French for her. This is about 30 posts into a conversation about immersion schools. I just cannot comprehend what would make her think that everyone would just drop what they're doing and translate 30 posts just because she asks :psyduck:

The image isn't really exciting or even necessary but here it is anyway.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know I was going to post someone from my facebook while catching up on this thread, but then I saw he was already posted. :staredog:
Two people knowing "left handed and oppressed" just seems so strange.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's this woman I know. She's nice and conscientious, cares about the environment, supports Idle No More, and is a vegan. These things are fine!

But literally once a day, my news feed fills up with at least a half dozen posts from sites like Natural News and Collective Evolution. Some of it's run of the mill antiGMO stuff, some is crazy conspiracy stuff!

There's also a weird bit of hypocrisy I can't find to show off with some casual looking where she condemns the drinking of cow's milk (veganism) but supports people who fight to drink raw milk (raw foodie).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

lenoon posted:

While Lawrence of Arabia was talking about the Arab revolt to overthrow the Ottoman Empire and restore their nation, land and spirit, this douche is talking about... His car dashboard?

I assume he just meant Mercedes ownership. I'm not super familiar with Mercedes but I believe that's the dash and wheel from about a 2012 C250. So it's probably a little above $20k which is pretty average for a car. That's fitting, right? As revolutions go the Arabs were pretty average. I mean they didn't get even get a musical like Les Miserables.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just had a friend tell me to "man up" and call black people negroes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Jesus Christ.

So another friend just posted about car damage with a normal human reaction that doesn't involve murder but the 'suck it up you wanker' reply is just :psyduck:. Is there a full moon today or something? Are not allowed to have basic empathy anymore?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know if I'm the idiot here because I don't know anything about trading card games or the person who responded with the gigantic wall of text as if I'd personally slighted him by saying TCGs are expensive as hell.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

Just had a friend tell me to "man up" and call black people negroes.

Were you trying to make a racist opinion of yours the least racist it could be?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus Christ.

So another friend just posted about car damage with a normal human reaction that doesn't involve murder but the 'suck it up you wanker' reply is just :psyduck:. Is there a full moon today or something? Are not allowed to have basic empathy anymore?

Did you post the wrong picture? All I'm seeing is a guy posting a "calm down and you'll eventually get over it" message a bit too smugly. Hell, the OP is being just as much of an idiot as that guy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Had this pop up:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MizPiz posted:

Were you trying to make a racist opinion of yours the least racist it could be?

No, commenting about the Redskins. I'm blue.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Shannonmcn posted:

This guy just moved here, he's not being an idiot. This is adorable :3:

The last few days must have been a real eye-opener for him :allears:

Seen this one in a few places:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Murder sounds like a reasonable response to a vehicle break in.

my first thought was that he was somehow threatening that his space marines collection would avenge the theft

beechesbecrazy
Oct 16, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

"I've never met any actual homophobic people"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
This just randomly came up as one of my banner adds, I clicked it out of curiosity and laughed way harder at this than I should have (emphasis mine)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/other-community/male-friends-wanted-open-age-to-44/1038501352

quote:

Hi i'm a good guy, im not gay, im happily engaged, with a family, im looking for some male friends, NO ASIANS or CHINEESe people, only australians thanks, cant understand them, no affance!

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

What the gently caress does this even mean? Is there a WPA-style program in which workers roll watermelons into lakes? With cats? Is there some racist dimension to the watermelon? Or is it just the most obtuse way this guy could think of saying, "Government is DUMB!"?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

budgieinspector posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean? Is there a WPA-style program in which workers roll watermelons into lakes? With cats? Is there some racist dimension to the watermelon? Or is it just the most obtuse way this guy could think of saying, "Government is DUMB!"?

Basically there was this quote falsely attributed to the President of Finland and it got turned into a bit of a meme with more zanier things being "the opposite of what America does".

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Every time I see or hear the word "bankster" my eyes glaze over and I stop paying attention to whatever the person has to say.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Shuu posted:

I never expected to see a real life like dis if u cri evry time, but...

HOW DOES HE HAVE SO MUCH CUM?

LOL! Of course he done did not cheat on her she's a classy lady who only brings up how much cum her boyfriend produces when someone accuses him of cheating

NotAnArtist posted:

Do you figure she has the ability to say all that in a single breath because I do.

Yes.

Bored has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Feb 13, 2014

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Never mind the out of nowhere hate for Planned Parenthood. Forget the dig on the Boy Scouts, that's forgivable. The most shocking thing about this post is that more than one person thought that image was real. This hastily made joke image was probably made by someone who was actually high.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

Well, it is pretty lovely that in order to get financial assistance you have to first burn through your savings, leaving you with nothing in case of emergencies.

Social assistance is literally emergency funding to support yourself while you search for a job. You have to prove you're searching for income and you have to attend job training seminars. If you legitimately need welfare, you don't "burn through your savings". There's a threshold amount of money or income where you're eligible if you fall below it, hence why the couple in that first post was complaining about how they "make too much" for welfare.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MizPiz posted:

Did you post the wrong picture? All I'm seeing is a guy posting a "calm down and you'll eventually get over it" message a bit too smugly. Hell, the OP is being just as much of an idiot as that guy.

No. What you are seeing is a jackass who is telling someone who had an annoying thing happen that he doesn't have a right to feel annoyed because he has his needs met and his family isn't all dead. The OP and the jackass are both aware that he will get over it and there is no need to tell the op he is an ungrateful sack of poo poo, which is pretty much what he implied. I'm pretty sure the OP is capable of being annoyed while still being glad that his life doesn't suck.

Sorry for being all bitchy about it, but the "Well, there are people who have it lots worse stop being such a entitled twat" reaction is really irritating. It's about as annoying to me as the "Because you guys are making fun of a famous person being stupid, you are incapable of noticing this lovely political thing that is going on." Humans are capable of being concerned about and aware of more than two things at the same time. Anyone who hops in to comment about the original poster not mentioning, for example, starving children in Africa at the same time that he/she is saying that they are currently frustrated about something that is important in their own (the OP's) life is only doing so to prove their moral superiority.

Since we don't see what other annoyances are happening in the original poster's life because he doesn't feel the need to list them all doesn't mean that he hasn't had a crappy year so far. He's not living the life of the people who don't have a roof over their heads or any kind of social support network. He's living his life. He didn't suggest murder was an appropriate reaction to having his car broken into.

Sorry, again, for being a killjoy in a funny thread but I have a serious problem with people telling other people they are not allowed to sometimes be concerned about themselves.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Social assistance is literally emergency funding to support yourself while you search for a job. You have to prove you're searching for income and you have to attend job training seminars. If you legitimately need welfare, you don't "burn through your savings". There's a threshold amount of money or income where you're eligible if you fall below it, hence why the couple in that first post was complaining about how they "make too much" for welfare.

WIC is not only for when you are looking for a job, it's also for people who don't make enough.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/wic-income-eligibility-guidelines-2013-2014

If you don't earn more than 36k a year for a 3 person family, then your income makes you eligible for WIC.

I've never heard of them taking in to account whether you have some money in savings or not, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did. I'd kind of agree with the other poster that if they do, then it seems to encourage spending your money instead of trying to be frugal and putting some away. But I imagine you'd also want a limit somewhere(should someone with 30k in a bank account be getting WIC?)

The other requirements don't seem to say anything about having money in a bank account though.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/wic-eligibility-requirements

Apogee15 has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sticklefifer posted:

So when you said this:

sticklefifer posted:

It was always fun when someone would come in, the case workers would inform them that they had to provide bank statements (and usually 3 months of bank records) and they'd either protest about it or say they'd bring it in and then never do it. If you have a bunch of money in savings you can afford to pay your rent, chucklefucks.

What were you talking about? Because it really sounds like you're saying that people who have savings should spend them before getting financial assistance.

Hobo Lumpkins
Jan 28, 2014

Sometimes I wish I could take all my skin off and writhe about.

Shuu posted:

I never expected to see a real life like dis if u cri evry time, but...

HOW DOES HE HAVE SO MUCH CUM?

That was so loving painful to read, I have a headache now.
I just..... I don't.... what the gently caress is wrong with people?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

So when you said this:

What were you talking about? Because it really sounds like you're saying that people who have savings should spend them before getting financial assistance.

That's the point of most welfare. If you can afford to pay rent right now then you don't qualify. If you have enough money saved up to support yourself right now you don't qualify.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

So when you said this:

Not sure where you're getting that I said anyone should do anything with their money. Just that there's a threshold for assets and they take all of that into account. If you have savings and/or assets you could potentially sell, you're not as hard up for assistance as someone who's desperate and really needs it. It's set up like a last resort, not a sustainable income. Their goal is to have people on it for as little time as possible while they look for a better situation.

The people I was referring to in the second quote would literally have thousands to tens of thousands in the bank with maybe a few hundred in expenses per month and apply anyway because they don't want to work, unaware that their bank records would be checked. I mean, when you're looking into getting monthly government checks, good luck explaining why that monthly charge to Blizzard Entertainment is necessary. Those are the types of people who willingly perpetuate the stereotype some people have posted in their Facebook screenshots that all welfare recipients abuse the system :byodood: BECAUSE OBAMA.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Bored posted:

Sorry, again, for being a killjoy in a funny thread but I have a serious problem with people telling other people they are not allowed to sometimes be concerned about themselves.
Not to mention that repairing a keyed car is actually far more expensive than you'd think. I've had two cars now and both were keyed by some little rear end in a top hat who probably did it on a whim (one happened just a month ago, in fact) but it'd cost me at least £200-300 to get the panel repaired and repainted professionally, especially if you have a patented car colour. Some scratches don't look too bad but actually go right through the paintwork and can't just be repaired by a quick touch up and polish.

So, yeah, you have a right to be annoyed when some poo poo decides to damage your car and you either have to just live with an ugly scratch you'll see every time you go to your car or shell out a stupid amount of money to get it fixed. The guy telling him to get over it when all he did was express that it was a lovely thing that happened to him is a prick.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Serene Dragon posted:

Not to mention that repairing a keyed car is actually far more expensive than you'd think. I've had two cars now and both were keyed by some little rear end in a top hat who probably did it on a whim (one happened just a month ago, in fact) but it'd cost me at least £200-300 to get the panel repaired and repainted professionally, especially if you have a patented car colour. Some scratches don't look too bad but actually go right through the paintwork and can't just be repaired by a quick touch up and polish.

So, yeah, you have a right to be annoyed when some poo poo decides to damage your car and you either have to just live with an ugly scratch you'll see every time you go to your car or shell out a stupid amount of money to get it fixed. The guy telling him to get over it when all he did was express that it was a lovely thing that happened to him is a prick.

I felt that it was more in response to the OP saying he had a lovely year so far, and I interpreted it as the guy saying "buck up, it WILL get better!" I don't read it as being condescending or telling him he can't feel lovely, but saying to keep pushing because things will turn around. I mean the comment has 1 "Like" at that time, maybe it was from the guy whose car got keyed.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Racism will go away if we just close our eyes, plug our ears and go "la la la". Black people who are advocating for recognition of their role in history are the ones making racism worse. Why can't everyone just stop talking about race? Look at how Morgan Freeman, a well-spoken black guy, totally agrees with me in this excerpt from an unattributed interview.

At least someone posted that Abraham Lincoln meme.

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

Closing your eyes won't make it go away, however I hate that literally the only time we ever, ever hear about any black person in history is during black history month. Black history IS american history and needs to be integrated much more into our education. It's completely forgotten after its special month which doesn't help in the least and kind of makes me feel like the history isn't good enough to be recognized every day as real american history.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Alpacalips Now posted:

Racism will go away if we just close our eyes, plug our ears and go "la la la". Black people who are advocating for recognition of their role in history are the ones making racism worse. Why can't everyone just stop talking about race? Look at how Morgan Freeman, a well-spoken black guy, totally agrees with me in this excerpt from an unattributed interview.

At least someone posted that Abraham Lincoln meme.
Except Morgan Freeman actually said that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

When I, an Irish person, think of American history it goes:

Cool stuff about native people
Genocide of native people
Slavery
WWII
MLK had a dream
9/11

And that's it. Something something George Washington (likes to chop wood, thanks Fairly Odd Parents, and is also in Sleepy Hollow) and Abraham Lincoln (I'm on a penny!). John Handcock (lol) means a signature (also from an episode of Fairly Odd Parents).

How close am I to passing High School history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shannonmcn posted:

When I, an Irish person, think of American history it goes:

Cool stuff about native people
Genocide of native people
Slavery
WWII
MLK had a dream
9/11

And that's it. Something something George Washington (likes to chop wood, thanks Fairly Odd Parents, and is also in Sleepy Hollow) and Abraham Lincoln (I'm on a penny!). John Handcock (lol) means a signature (also from an episode of Fairly Odd Parents).

How close am I to passing High School history?
Pretty close, though you missed the part where Teddy Roosevelt killed everyone in Cuba with a magic whip while riding a moose. Analogously, I read 'Angela's Ashes', so I know all there is to know about Ireland.

• Locked thread