Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Daimo posted:

If you want to pay $100 more for a bigger screen Samsung have got you covered.

Or try the LG G pad GPE.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to wait and see what the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 software is like before making a decision. Apparently, they may be moving toward a more "clean" Android OS now that Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo (source). Otherwise, Retina iPad mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Derek Dominoe posted:

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to wait and see what the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 software is like before making a decision. Apparently, they may be moving toward a more "clean" Android OS now that Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo (source). Otherwise, Retina iPad mini.

That just says Samsung will stop making S-Mail and S-Voice and S-Dialer and use Google's apps, nothing about it not being horrible neon green and purple Touchwiz garbage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

That just says Samsung will stop making S-Mail and S-Voice and S-Dialer and use Google's apps, nothing about it not being horrible neon green and purple Touchwiz garbage.
They could be fakes, but screenshots show a new card-based (and iOS 7 "inspired") interface.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That doesn't look awful. Not enough to make me buy a Samsung tablet, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2014

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

This part of the article made it sound like their whole custom UI may go away.

quote:

That means Samsung will consider changing or getting rid of its new Magazine UX interface that sits on top of Android, as well as highlight Google's apps for movies, music, and other services, instead of pushing its own, Recode said.

Regardless, it sounds like this won't happen until layer this year. I'll try to find a model to browse this weekend to assess the UI. The other sticking point is that the LTE models won't come out until later this quarter, and I haven't received confirmation of reliable WiFi in the ORs where I'll be most of the time.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I'm considering picking something up for reading comics on. On one hand, it would be really great to be able to get regular comics because buying them from a store is much more expensive and takes up a lot of space...currently, I just have to wait until the trade paperbacks come out, which means I don't get to read a comic for months. On the other hand, I don't really want to spend upwards of $500NZD just for reading comics.

I had a Nexus 7, and it was -okay- for reading comics, but a little too small - I don't have the best vision, so I'd have to pinch and zoom to read some text, and it was just a bit annoying. Something larger than 7 inches would be ideal.

Is there anything out there that wouldn't be a total waste of money since it's only being used for reading comics, or should I just suck it up and keep with the trade paperbacks?

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Worth getting the Ipad air over the ipad 4 with retina? I heard apple had to recalls some of the ipad airs due to first generation problems..

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

n4lrah posted:

Worth getting the Ipad air over the ipad 4 with retina? I heard apple had to recalls some of the ipad airs due to first generation problems..

I would say so. Twice as fast and super light.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

n4lrah posted:

I don't see any mention of an iPad Air recall after several searches. Are you sure you didn't see a MacBook Air recall?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

I don't see any mention of an iPad Air recall after several searches. Are you sure you didn't see a MacBook Air recall?

I couldn't find any either. If there's an iPad Air recall it'd be plastered all over the news

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

A friend is asking me what Android tablet he should buy. I don't really follow Android tablets anymore so I thought I'd ask here. He wants something that has an sd card slot and that isn't an Apple device. What do I recommend to him?

edit: nvm, I think I'll recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro line?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm looking for a tablet with high resolution display to read e-books and a pressure sensitive stylus for sketching and drawing. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 is one option. The option seems to be an iPad Mini Retina with a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus. Does anyone know how do those two compare to each other?

Edit: The more I read, it seems like the iPad Mini Retina would be a better fit, but it looks like that particular stylus isn't compatible with the iPad Mini Retina. Any suggestions?

This looks pretty sweet: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/yufu-the-stylus-perfected-pressure-sensitive-fine

fookolt fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 14, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The retina mini has Bluetooth 4/Low Energy same as the Air. Are you sure that stylus you liked just doesn't have an old unupdated product page?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

kiwid posted:

A friend is asking me what Android tablet he should buy. I don't really follow Android tablets anymore so I thought I'd ask here. He wants something that has an sd card slot and that isn't an Apple device. What do I recommend to him?

edit: nvm, I think I'll recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro line?

I went to Best Buy to try the Tab Pro myself yesterday. I was going to decide between the iPad Mini Retina and the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I was a bit concerned about the "unique" UI advertised in the latter (Magazine UX). My fears were overblown..it's just one screen with unique widgets kind of like live tiles. You can remove them, and the other screens are already like native Android by default.

After holding them myself, I ended up getting the 10.1 instead of the 8.4. It's just way easier to work in 2 windows simultaneously with the extra screen space. I'm only 24 hours into life with the GTP, but I love it.

None of this is to knock the iPad...it's solid in every respect, and if you're already into the Apple ecosystem or need 4G capability right now, go for it. (The GTP models with LTE are not out yet.)

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

eddiewalker posted:

The retina mini has Bluetooth 4/Low Energy same as the Air. Are you sure that stylus you liked just doesn't have an old unupdated product page?

Good point, but this is what I've come across with my Googling:

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16395

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I are looking at a tablet for the family. It would be primarily used for movies, general browsing, music and apps/games for my toddler daughters. We already have IPhones so we are leaning towards an apple product (but are not married to the idea) so what is the best tablet to be looking at?

Also, if you mention an IPad, I have a question. Since we already have apple IDs, if we get an IPad will we have to repurchase the apps we have bought or can we just download it to the iPad?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I are looking at a tablet for the family. It would be primarily used for movies, general browsing, music and apps/games for my toddler daughters. We already have IPhones so we are leaning towards an apple product (but are not married to the idea) so what is the best tablet to be looking at?

Also, if you mention an IPad, I have a question. Since we already have apple IDs, if we get an IPad will we have to repurchase the apps we have bought or can we just download it to the iPad?

A Nexus 7 wouldn't be bad just because it's "cheap" so if it gets broken you aren't out a lot of cash. However, you could probably find a tough case for an iPad to make it "toddler proof". If you do buy an iPad any apps you bought on your AppleID will be downloaded. Note sometimes apps will have separate iPad and iPhone only versions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If it's mainly for your kids, a cheap Kindle Fire may work. Prime + Freetime Unlimited is hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kin_dp_ftu?docId=1000863021

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Do browser extensions work on the Nexus 10? I've got a Nexus 5 phone and don't see any options there to install things like Adblock etc.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Loten posted:

Do browser extensions work on the Nexus 10? I've got a Nexus 5 phone and don't see any options there to install things like Adblock etc.

Only in Firefox.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adaway says what?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

I'm going to purchase a tablet for someone who wants one to read comics and manga. I think she'll use it for other stuff like internet browsing too.

I was thinking the Nexus 10? Has anyone else here had experience with reading comics and stuff on tablets? Some of my googling says that the Nexus is better versus Ipads because of manga/comic reader app availability and compatibility.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Nexus 10 is over a year old at this point and there's not even been any rumors of a replacement mild unsourced rumors of a replacement coming sometime. An iPad Air is a better option at this point. There's plenty of comics readers on iOS for both legitimate and illegitimate needs.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

The Nexus 10 is over a year old at this point and there's not even been any rumors of a replacement. An iPad Air is a better option at this point. There's plenty of comics readers on iOS for both legitimate and illegitimate needs.

They just announced HTC will be producing the new Nexus 10. Source.

Dunno about release date...probably not until the end of this year.

VVV You guys sure will look silly when my uncle who works at the Nexus 10 2 plant mails me an advanced prototype of the new tablet. (That site looked way more legit at a glance on my phone.)

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 18, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

That's not an announcement

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lmao the source quoted isn't actually a source and just bullshit rumor mongering.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The Nest team was hired for its industrial design experience and will be heavily involved in the new nexus line, hence the delay.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's the cheapest option if all I want to do is play chess apps, and "maybe" read a little? No multimedia. Although a SIM-card slot would be cool, but not necessary.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

power botton posted:

The Nest team was hired for its industrial design experience and will be heavily involved in the new nexus line, hence the delay.

I truly hope there's something to that, but its just speculation right?

Its really not good to have no worthy 10" android tablet on sale for 6 months, which is what it'll be. N10 hasn't been available on Google Play (uk anyway) for ages.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

What's the cheapest option if all I want to do is play chess apps, and "maybe" read a little? No multimedia. Although a SIM-card slot would be cool, but not necessary.

You mean a micro SD slot right? If so, one of the Nook HD's would be perfect and cheap.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend me a used tablet for around 100$?

I need one for working out. I'll be doing it in my home and would enjoy the hated task of exercising if I had one.

Requirments:
Windows or android platform
Wifi internet access.
Able to watch youtube and streaming services like Twitch.

Wanted but not required:
Bluetooth for headphones.
It would be nice to play Hearthstone: http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/27/how-to-play-hearthstone-on-your-tablet-right-now/

I figure that there are older or used tablets that would fit this bill for around 100$. Not sure where to look for one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Go to a gym and lift weights. You're not going to push yourself if you're just going to veg out on a recumbent bike or something equally lame.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

power botton posted:

This excites me. I have a Nest and Nest Protect and they're very well thought out products. Expensive, yes, but if you can find them for cheap then they're amazing.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

1st AD posted:

Go to a gym and lift weights. You're not going to push yourself if you're just going to veg out on a recumbent bike or something equally lame.

Listen to this man. Get a workout partner, not a tablet.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Not going to happen, would rather do 30 minutes of cardio a day than nothing.

Gym buddies and pushing self can come after I'm comfortable walking long distances.

I understand you are trying to help, but this is what I need right now.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
You could probably find a used 2012 N7 for $100. But, maybe you should just look for a cheap used laptop on Craiglist or something?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sero Pro refurbs are going for $89 on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834738002

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

You mean a micro SD slot right? If so, one of the Nook HD's would be perfect and cheap.

Aha it's just a micro SD slot? I'm talking about the interface for your cellphone card. BTW the Nook is not available in my part of Europe. (google tells me only US & GB)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In that case, I guess a Nexus 7 LTE? Sharp screen, plenty fast for chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

This looks perfect, thank you. Ordered.