Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

daggerdragon posted:

Anybody want* a famous movie fish from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? You can feed him carrots!

* You'll need more than a goldfish bowl for this one...

My LFS had a pair of Pacus they rescued in a 300 gallon tank for a long while until someone adopted them. Even in the 300 it didn't seem that they had nearly the room they needed. I really wish I didn't see babies for sale so often, they aren't typical pets in any sense of the word really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bait and Swatch posted:

My LFS had a pair of Pacus they rescued in a 300 gallon tank for a long while until someone adopted them. Even in the 300 it didn't seem that they had nearly the room they needed. I really wish I didn't see babies for sale so often, they aren't typical pets in any sense of the word really.

I used to work at a petstore and they would sell them as "piranhas" to all the idiots who wanted carnivorous fish.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy more until it's impossible for them to all hide.

Yeah, now I have 12 and they own the tank. If an aquatic invertebrate can strut that's what they do now.

I sometimes stick my finger in the tank now and sometimes they land and pick at it, if the Betta gets tired of attacking it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 10, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snagged a very lightly used Fluval FX5 for $100 today off of Craigslist. Can't have too much filtration on a cichlid tank.

Also picked up a few new mbuna this weekend. I've had a metriaclima greshakei in an isolation tank for a while now, as he was way too dominant in the main tank. I picked up a few new mature males (pseudotrohpheus crabro and melanochromis auratus) in hopes that it will spread out the aggression enough that I can reintroduce the greshakei. So far so good, but I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on things.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Goldmund posted:

Snagged a very lightly used Fluval FX5 for $100 today off of Craigslist.
So jealous. Around here there are incredible deals on full tank setups, but trying to buy just a filter on craigslist is pointless. Beat to hell filters go for like 20 dollars less than retail, missing parts and media.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Here's the updated picture of my tank with the background:

Luckily it didn't float at all, and I think it looks really good. I've gotten it cycled, though that supposedly wasn't necessary since I went with the Walstad method. Right now it's just some cardinal tetras, a hybrid molly and an endler in there that I brought over from another tank. I'll add some more tetras shortly, and then bide my time and let the plants grow for awhile before adding in cockatoo cichlids.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9e0_1392157342

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Soon, my fish will greet me at the door when I get home.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you gave a betta mobility, it'd be pretty much like having an indoors cat or dog. Feed me. Feed me. Feed me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh.. our betta Dante is on his last days. He's older and has been getting more lethargic, losing color, appetite and just sinks to the bottom motionless most of the time unless he comes up for air and it is a rush to the top for a breath then sinks and lays their sometimes sideways. He props himself up on a leaf when he can but for the most part he just lays there.

As much as I hate to do it I may have to euthanize him because I simply cannot see him like this and he will wither and die of starvation soon. :(

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Ugh.. our betta Dante is on his last days. He's older and has been getting more lethargic, losing color, appetite and just sinks to the bottom motionless most of the time unless he comes up for air and it is a rush to the top for a breath then sinks and lays their sometimes sideways. He props himself up on a leaf when he can but for the most part he just lays there.

As much as I hate to do it I may have to euthanize him because I simply cannot see him like this and he will wither and die of starvation soon. :(

One of my white mountain minnows is looking pretty ropey.
I think it might have some kind of jaw/mouth issue as it can't seem to close its mouth fully and is really thin and pale. I have a feeling it might have something wedged in its mouth but I can't see anything and they're too tiny to manhandle. :(

e: After finding my smallest tweezers I said "gently caress it" and netted him out. Managed to carefully pull a pus-encrusted lump of moss out of his mouth :barf: but it looks like it's caused an infection. I've put some salt in the tank and raised the temp a little bit, will have to wait and see.

Extra Smooth Balls fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes, am usually the last person to buy from a chain store, but Petsmart has a monthly special with albino bichirs. Under $5. Sadly the stores are only getting 1 or 2 each, so I need to hit as many as I can. Funny thing, the employee kept trying to explain that the standard brown 'dinosaur eels' were more expensive because they are a different species. No, dude. But thanks for the $4 fish!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bichirs get pretty huge don't they? What are you going to do with all of them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:stare: How many birchirs are going to end up in goldfish bowls?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: How many birchirs are going to end up in goldfish bowls?

Good: bichirs are atmospheric breathers, similar to bettas and lungfish: without access to open air they will suffocate.

Bad: bichirs get way too large and produce a lot of waste and jump like loving flying fish.

I have a 55 and a 90 for them long term. Right now I only have two, and the senegals, from what I've read, are the most common and don't get as massive and aggressive as some of the others.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry, wasnt aimed at you. More the fact that they're being sold for $4 and grow huge.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Most CB Senegals will top out around 9-10", and the albino Senegals will usually only hit 7-8". So both are pretty small as far as Bichirs go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Desert Bus posted:

Most CB Senegals will top out around 9-10", and the albino Senegals will usually only hit 7-8". So both are pretty small as far as Bichirs go.

It's official. Just did a total tank inspection right before changing the water. My rear end in a top hat angels most likely killed all four of the amano shrimp. Havent had a spotting in 5 days and there just isnt that many places for all four to hide in a 20gallon.

loving $17 snack.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LingcodKilla posted:

It's official. Just did a total tank inspection right before changing the water. My rear end in a top hat angels most likely killed all four of the amano shrimp. Havent had a spotting in 5 days and there just isnt that many places for all four to hide in a 20gallon.

loving $17 snack.

Check around on your floor. Amano's are almost as bad as crayfish and the filter feeding shrimp when it comes to escaping. They love their algae and if they're not used to going after fish food, they'll seek it out even if it means leaving the tank. Granted, the thought of Angels eating them is just as likely.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

loving $17 snack.

Back when I had guppies I bought what I thought was a harmless little ghost shrimp, I lost three fish before I caught the little bastard actively hunting them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too bad. Like five minutes ago I saw a particularly large amano get into a stare down with my betta before basically brushing him aside.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Too bad. Like five minutes ago I saw a particularly large amano get into a stare down with my betta before basically brushing him aside.

I've been really tempted to get some micro crabs as they're freaking adorable.

In other news my minnow survived the night and seems a lot perkier this morning, even going after food although his jaw still seems a bit hosed up so I'm not sure he managed to eat anything.

Fish are tough as hell.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

In other news my minnow survived the night and seems a lot perkier this morning, even going after food although his jaw still seems a bit hosed up so I'm not sure he managed to eat anything.

Fish are tough as hell.

Good to hear.. I ended up euthanizing my betta yesterday afternoon. It was not a good day for me.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Good to hear.. I ended up euthanizing my betta yesterday afternoon. It was not a good day for me.

Sorry to hear that, bettas are awesome. :(

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

I've been really tempted to get some micro crabs as they're freaking adorable.

Fish are tough as hell.

Depending on how hosed up his jaw is, he could be around for a while. I have a giant danio that hasn't been able to close his mouth right for 6+ months now after a horrible infection. Seems happy enough despite looking like a huge goober all the time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat some of these are pretty.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eifert Posting posted:

A lady who has raised some champion bettas occasionally sells some at the fish store I go to in Tucson. They are some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these beautiful cuttings I had to throw away because none of my friends have aquariums. Go to the T&T Korea thread and yell at them.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Eifert Posting posted:

Look at all these beautiful cuttings I had to throw away because none of my friends have aquariums. Go to the T&T Korea thread and yell at them.

I trade my cuttings in at the local fish shop for more plants. Got 2 crypts out of 3 handfuls of frogbit and I'll have another 3 handfuls in a month or two.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Eifert Posting posted:

Something about the juxtaposition of the fast-paced dance music and the surly-faced bettas at the beginning of this video made me laugh out loud at my desk.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

A lady who has raised some champion bettas occasionally sells some at the fish store I go to in Tucson. They are some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen.

Stayc F of AZ Bettaheads? Yes, her bettas are insane!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Cowslips Warren posted:

Stayc F of AZ Bettaheads? Yes, her bettas are insane!

Yeah. She sells to Arizona Nature Aquatics ( https://m.facebook.com/pages/Arizon...ics.com%2F&_rdr)

It's an amazing store, probably the best I've ever had the chance to go to.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 15, 2014

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The freshwater bristleworms are back in my tank, the fluke poison didn't harm them, I was tricked!

I will try and catch one at some stage, as they are breeding and I worry my shrimp are doomed.

Check out this little blighter, a Weather loach, a pest in Aus, 2 of them found their way into my backyard pond, I've added them into my aquaponics system with the Koi carp.

Oop got one, it's small and the head is not very visible.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 17, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So yesterday I noticed my Firemouth was not looking his usual self and actually appeared to be partially paralyzed (from the "waist" down, if that makes sense). So I tested the water and my ammonia was .5 mg/L and Nitrate was 20 mg/L. I immediately did a 30% water change. Spread out over the rest of last night I did 2 more 10% water changes. This morning ammonia was down to .15 but nitrate was holding steady at 20 and may have actually gone up a little. So this morning I did another 10% changed my carbon out for Fluval Zero-Carb and picked up some Seachem Prime which I triple-dosed.

The firemouth looks little better this morning. His tail fin looking less limp, although he is still mostly swimming with his pectoral fins. I hope he makes it. :ohdear:

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Dantu posted:

So yesterday I noticed my Firemouth was not looking his usual self and actually appeared to be partially paralyzed (from the "waist" down, if that makes sense). So I tested the water and my ammonia was .5 mg/L and Nitrate was 20 mg/L. I immediately did a 30% water change. Spread out over the rest of last night I did 2 more 10% water changes. This morning ammonia was down to .15 but nitrate was holding steady at 20 and may have actually gone up a little. So this morning I did another 10% changed my carbon out for Fluval Zero-Carb and picked up some Seachem Prime which I triple-dosed.

The firemouth looks little better this morning. His tail fin looking less limp, although he is still mostly swimming with his pectoral fins. I hope he makes it. :ohdear:

Your water parameters are still pretty good. Curious about what may have made that tiny ammonia 'spike' but a lot of commercial kits will give false readings of up to 0.25, and depending on your water source, nitrates may already be 10-20 ppm out of the tap. The nitrates are not too outrageous for the type of fish you have. I personally am not convinced his condition is related to water quality. Does he have any other tank mates?

Unrelated: I'm a fool for peacock bass, picked up a sickly baby for $8 for some TLC. Maybe one day I'll save up and actually get some NICE ones. :V

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fusillade posted:

Your water parameters are still pretty good. Curious about what may have made that tiny ammonia 'spike' but a lot of commercial kits will give false readings of up to 0.25, and depending on your water source, nitrates may already be 10-20 ppm out of the tap. The nitrates are not too outrageous for the type of fish you have. I personally am not convinced his condition is related to water quality. Does he have any other tank mates?

Unrelated: I'm a fool for peacock bass, picked up a sickly baby for $8 for some TLC. Maybe one day I'll save up and actually get some NICE ones. :V

It's a 55g with that firemouth and one adult oscar. I originally had two firemouths but lost the other about 2 years ago. At the time I thought it was swim-bladder disease. Same symptoms. This time around I did some googling and nitrate/ammonia poisoning seemed to fit the bill. Last time I moved the fish to a quarantine tank and treated with epsom salts and tried to feed him frozen peas, but he died with 24 hours of being separated.

As for the spike, I did find a clump of uneaten food sticks tangled in the plants. I have some fake plants in there, that typically end up floating at the surface, thanks to the oscar, no matter how well I try to block them in with rocks.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Dantu posted:

It's a 55g with that firemouth and one adult oscar. I originally had two firemouths but lost the other about 2 years ago. At the time I thought it was swim-bladder disease. Same symptoms. This time around I did some googling and nitrate/ammonia poisoning seemed to fit the bill. Last time I moved the fish to a quarantine tank and treated with epsom salts and tried to feed him frozen peas, but he died with 24 hours of being separated.

As for the spike, I did find a clump of uneaten food sticks tangled in the plants. I have some fake plants in there, that typically end up floating at the surface, thanks to the oscar, no matter how well I try to block them in with rocks.

Could it have been injured by the Oscar? I had a jack dempsey that was slammed into a piece of driftwood by an adult tiger oscar. He seemed to have a spine injury afterwards and died in quarantine a week later.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

Could it have been injured by the Oscar? I had a jack dempsey that was slammed into a piece of driftwood by an adult tiger oscar. He seemed to have a spine injury afterwards and died in quarantine a week later.

Possible. Every now and then the oscar attacks the heater and sometimes works himself into a frenzy where he darts around the tank afterwards. Like most oscars, he's kind of a weirdo. He went through a phase where he nipped at and chased the firemouth at one point too, but that was a few months ago and only lasted a few days. I was worried that he might go after the firemouth in his weakened state but he hasn't.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 18, 2014

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Back when I had guppies I bought what I thought was a harmless little ghost shrimp, I lost three fish before I caught the little bastard actively hunting them.

Was it really a ghost shrimp?
I have a tank with nothing but guppies and ghost shrimp (and a bunch of loving snails) and as far as I can tell, they leave each other alone although the guppies will eat the snail eggs. Although I haven't seen any new fry in awhile, so maybe the shrimp are eating them?
The guppies are basically baby factories, and for awhile I was feeding the less colorful fry to my monster goldfish just to control the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Macro shrimp often do get mixed up as ghost shrimp. Pretty aggressive and opportunistic feeders that'll grab anything in sight that isnt fast enough.