Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I am amused this is probably a reference to a Looney Tunes gag from the episode Fresh Hare. (As well as a couple other episodes.) The thing is, it's Bugs Bunny who somehow goes around the tree like that, while Elmer Fudd ends up crashing into the tree afterwards. So in Glenn's mind Obama/Bugs Bunny is the bad guy.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Pander posted:

No kidding. OBAMA BYPASSES LOWEST RATED CONGRESS EVER. How is that not a 'good' thing?

But people like their own district's congressman. This is what I've heard from a Republican, which means this is without a doubt the official GOP rebuttal to how much people can't stand their favorite pet branch of gov't.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

fade5 posted:

I am amused this is probably a reference to a Looney Tunes gag from the episode Fresh Hare. (As well as a couple other episodes.) The thing is, it's Bugs Bunny who somehow goes around the tree like that, while Elmer Fudd ends up crashing into the tree afterwards. So in Glenn's mind Obama/Bugs Bunny is the bad guy.:v:

Or, since the artist works in the medium of single-panel gag cartoons, it's probably a reference to this:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rorus Raz posted:

Obama delayed the roll-out of a part of a law. It's...almost like Obama is the one that determines the way a law is carried out. I mean, it's as if he's part of some kind of...group or should I say branch that...what's the word I'm looking for...executes the law or something.

More like executes America. Welcome to the Republican party.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I hope you all know that 80% of you will be Republicans in ten years because this thread will have utterly smashed your sense of logic and proportion.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Haven't watched this yet but the preview screencap tells me all I need to know

https://medium.com/the-nib/d62966cb4a51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54pKiqy7H0

quote:

This week on our super serious punditry show we have our first guest, J.J. McCullough, to discuss his comics False Idols: Boomer Icons And Their Crimes and The White Man’s Burden. Then we get into a microscopic discussion about obit cartoons and Shirley Temple. Not to be missed!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

agarjogger posted:

I hope you all know that 80% of you will be Republicans in ten years because this thread will have utterly smashed your sense of logic and proportion.

No that's the pictures thread.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

agarjogger posted:

But people like their own district's congressman. This is what I've heard from a Republican, which means this is without a doubt the official GOP rebuttal to how much people can't stand their favorite pet branch of gov't.
People like their own congressman and Senators and hate all those other fuckers. This is why the congress approval rating is low (it's historically low now but Congress always has the lowest approval rating of the three branches) but incumbency remains high. It's more or less a fact, not just a thing A Republican Said.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I like how the numbers go up every time.

This is amazing.

Uh...A Good Cartoon? C'mon, Glenn, you're better than this. Where's the ridiculous trolling?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do those job approval of Congress polls ever follow-up with "do you approve of the job your own congressman and senators are doing?" so we can compare the numbers?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Yeah, todays performers are complete floozies, unlike the irreproachable stars of the past.

Wikipedia posted:

Based on Temple's many screen successes, Zanuck increased budgets and production values for her films. In 1937, John Ford was hired to direct the sepia-toned Wee Willie Winkie (Temple's own favorite) and an A-list cast was signed that included Victor McLaglen, C. Aubrey Smith, and Cesar Romero. The film was a critical and commercial hit but British writer and critic Graham Greene muddied the waters in October 1937 when he wrote in a British magazine that Temple was a "complete totsy" and accused her of being too nubile for a nine-year-old:

quote:

Her admirers—middle-aged men and clergymen—respond to her dubious coquetry, to the sight of her well-shaped and desirable little body, packed with enormous vitality, only because the safety curtain of story and dialogue drops between their intelligence and their desire.

Oh wait, people have been saying the same bullshit about the 'loose morals' of the entertainment industry since time immemorial.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

pd187 posted:

Or, since the artist works in the medium of single-panel gag cartoons, it's probably a reference to this:

Glenn McCoy is pretty huge into animation and classic cartoons IIRC, a Bugs Bunny reference is pretty likely. Actually I think that ski gag pops up in a lot of different contexts, it's more or less a part of the public consciousness now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

cafel posted:

Yeah, todays performers are complete floozies, unlike the irreproachable stars of the past.

Oh wait, people have been saying the same bullshit about the 'loose morals' of the entertainment industry since time immemorial.
[/quote]

:stare:

That reviewer is projecting something hard :pedo:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Happy Mallentine's day thread! I had an extra Mallentine so h-here, you can have it. I-It's not like a l-like you or anything!

Also, I'd like to point out that Mallard Fillmore did this exact same joke on this exact same day last year:

Feb 12 2013:

and here's an edit I did last year for that one:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

:stare:

That reviewer is projecting something hard :pedo:

Graham Greene slept with pretty much anything in a skirt and reputedly had a thing for young Italian boys as well. So he may well have been capable of finding young Shirley Temple erotic.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

D.N. Nation posted:

But that guy is SUCH a fruity loser, unlike the real man's man of

It's almost as if these types are so uncomfortable in their heteronormative masculinity that they project like crazy.

Allie looks like an infinitely more punchable Rob Corddry. I do not say that in a tough guy sense. I would never punch anyone in the face, because it's wrong. However, much like Silvio Berlusconi was smashed in the face by a tiny replica house of worship, Allie being punched in the face would cause me to nod and go, "Yes. Of course that happened."

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I don't think I "get" Eric Allie the way everyone else seems to. Almost every strip he does is about the MAINSTREAM MEDIA!!! and his art style is pretty much the same as other conservative artists like TenNapel and Barry and possibly the Ren and Stimpy guy - sharp angles, Saturday morning cartoon styled coloring, and that weird sense of potty humor (Furious....DIAPER) that belies deep-seated sexual frustration (Allie not so much as the others but still.) He just doesn't rack up mileage on my Fuckyoumeter like the McCoys and Lester do.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Webguy posted:

Miley Cyrus, etc.

Surely this is the comic where it makes the LEAST sense to make her still a child since it's about how she went on to achieve things in her later life after getting out of show business?

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Is Miley Cyrus wearing cheese?

A Packers Fan Cartoon.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I fully expect a horrifying traced portrait [of Shirley Temple] from Wise.

GREETINGS

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So did anyone decide to mock the other cartoonists by having a grown-up Shirley Temple talking to St. Peter, who's confused because he was expecting a little girl? I figured there would be at least one smart-rear end cartoonist that would do something like that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lycus posted:

So did anyone decide to mock the other cartoonists by having a grown-up Shirley Temple talking to St. Peter, who's confused because he was expecting a little girl? I figured there would be at least one smart-rear end cartoonist that would do something like that.

Still a chance for Bennett, Bors and Horsey (my money) to try.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wait what movie was she bitten by a vampire in?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ARRRGH dammit Wise I didn't actually want you to do it!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Shirley Temple of Blood was filmed long after her star had faded.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You never watched "Curly Top" to the end, did you

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
On the good ship Demeter.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ATTN: Entire loving World

Re: Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple has not been a child for over 65 years.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mighty Stalker posted:

and here's an edit I did last year for that one:

I must have missed this last year, so let me applaud it now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ATTN: Entire loving World

Re: Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple has not been a child for over 65 years.

And Anakin Skywalker didn't have a full body for the last 21 years, much less a full head of hair, but that didn't stop his ghost, did it?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Looks like Ramirez is channeling this old parody. (Sorry, I don't remember who made it.)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Looks like Ramirez is channeling this old parody. (Sorry, I don't remember who made it.)

Executive branch executes, Ramrod hate.

Another day in the land of rage.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Sorry, which one is the parody?

Also, why does Ramirez have a job?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

TheDarkFlame posted:

Rich people like having their opinions repeated back to them.

Like he's straight up published in the Investor Business Daily.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That Ramirez is seriously like looking into the mind of a crazy person

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe he used "executive action" as an incident of corruption. But yeah he seems to be getting increasingly unhinged.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ramirez puts out a guest comic by Francis E. Dec.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

He's in the Investor Business Daily, which to my understanding is for people that think the Wall Street Journal is really liberal.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cafel posted:

Rich people like having their opinions repeated back to them.

Like he's straight up published in the Investor Business Daily.

Investor's Business Daily's entire philosophy is to pay people to make articles or cartoons with the message "Democrats bad" and occasionally "Republicans good" No one who paid for a subscription to IBD will cancel because they think it's blatant conservative propaganda that insults their intelligence and plays cheerleader for the worst poo poo imaginable. Neither talent, legitimacy or comprehensibility are required, only the ability to regurgitate Fox News talking points

Naturally, Ramirez makes a decent living as their staff cartoonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It looks like something that would get mailed in to Clay Bennett's paper. It's honestly not too far removed, the more I think about it.

• Locked thread