Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Radish posted:

I have no idea how we gets so high and mighty when we talk about corruption of other countries.

I always have to laugh when the corruption index comes out because it's basically neo-colonial in its presentation. You see, you dirty African, Asian and Latin American countries have bribery, while we enlightened Westerners have lobbying! Nope, no corruption here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

isildur posted:

Oh man, thanks for the pointer. This is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUdGCyG-Pw

Looks like the full version of the show was DMCA'd off of youtube. Here's the full version
http://podfuse-dl.andomedia.com/800185/podfuse-origin.andomedia.com/citadel_origin/pods/marklevin/Levin11072012.mp3

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

He was especially great after the SOTU a few weeks ago too. He uploads all of his shows as podcasts on iTunes if I recall.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

isildur posted:

"All you single women out there who voted for Democrats. Make sure you write them and demand your free contraceptives. Congratulations. Your country for a condom. That's just cool. You are cool people. Congratulations. No integrity."

OK. What's wrong with free contraception? Lord knows people like him have no interest in caring for or helping unwanted children.

Plus, less abortions, right? Win/win.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BiggerBoat posted:

OK. What's wrong with free contraception? Lord knows people like him have no interest in caring for or helping unwanted children.

Plus, less abortions, right? Win/win.
Ideally, they want to have their cake and it eat it too. They want to force women to have their unwanted pregnancies, and also take away all their public assistance for raising it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2014

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
The religious right has an obsession with women not having sex with anyone who isn't them.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Good Citizen posted:

I honestly don't understand how you can be knowledgable of RW media and never listen to Levin. He's the whole industry distilled down into a misshapen ball of impotent rage. He definitely isn't harder to listen to than Hannity, though. Hannity is the hardest to listen to followed by Beck. Levin is too cartoonish to actually get upset about, kind of like Savage.

I don't know... Shapiro's show is just god awful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wojtek posted:

The religious right has an obsession with women not having sex with anyone who isn't them.

It's really 100% this.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Radish posted:

It's really 100% this.

This is an incredibly important drive for real-life Republicans, but then what about our forums Republicans who recognize that slutty liberals is good thing actually good for them?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

agarjogger posted:

This is an incredibly important drive for real-life Republicans, but then what about our forums Republicans who recognize that slutty liberals is good thing actually good for them?

George Senior seems to be about your best example of how to not be as lovely when you leave office.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's also just general "HANDOUTS!!!" rage. They get angry enough about handouts that they admit people need, like food, shelter, and medical care. SEX HANDOUTS must be infuriating.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Just for the sake of example, what are these guys going to do if a republican wins the next election? The biggest talking heads have probably made enough money to retire but are they going to continue to write books about Obama or something? My poor step dad had to buy a kindle because he was running out of room for all these goddamn books.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Am surprised the religious right and right wingers aren't trying to force contraception in minority areas, to keep them from over running the US with their welfares, spicy foods, and their bipping and a bopping.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm not sure of the political or religious affiliations, but I seem to recall about 20 years ago there was a bit of a case of a couple that were giving low-income women money to have their tubes tied.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/labruzzo_sterilization_plan_fi.html

I did find this trying to find the story

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
THis guy in front of me on the train is listening to Levin. THe guy has earbuds on but it is loud enough that I recognize Levin's pitch and his increasINGLY LOUD RHETORICAL QUESTION? Followed by speaking normally.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Blarghalt posted:

I wonder if Master Shake's voice was based on Levin. They have the same personalities. :v:

Dana Snyder and Mark Levin just happen to have very similar voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8etDel7CscU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

THis guy in front of me on the train is listening to Levin. THe guy has earbuds on but it is loud enough that I recognize Levin's pitch and his increasINGLY LOUD RHETORICAL QUESTION? Followed by speaking normally.

Write up a slip and politely hand it to him that says "Hello. You have been observed by a designated PPACA community assistance officer in consumption of unapproved and/or counterrevolutionary materials. This incident has been noted to your local politburo and/or death panel if applicable. Within 6-10 business days, you will be receiving a visit from your local ACORN representative who will be pleased to discuss with you your available re-education options. Remember to sign up early for FEMA camps, slots fill fast and the annual 10k run is right around the corner!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Devil posted:

I always have to laugh when the corruption index comes out because it's basically neo-colonial in its presentation. You see, you dirty African, Asian and Latin American countries have bribery, while we enlightened Westerners have lobbying! Nope, no corruption here!

I too do not believe that citizens should petition their legislatures.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

I too do not believe that citizens should petition their legislatures.

I know hundreds of citizens, and not one of them has ever petitioned their Congress to any effect, or ever at all. I know some corporations and all of them have, to modest or great effect.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

hello internet posted:

Just for the sake of example, what are these guys going to do if a republican wins the next election? The biggest talking heads have probably made enough money to retire but are they going to continue to write books about Obama or something? My poor step dad had to buy a kindle because he was running out of room for all these goddamn books.

"Everything would be perfect now if it weren't for all these obstructive liberals! Why won't they let us enjoy our American perfection?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

agarjogger posted:

I know hundreds of citizens, and not one of them has ever petitioned their Congress to any effect, or ever at all. I know some corporations and all of them have, to modest or great effect.

From a regulation standpoint lobbying is functionally identical to writing a letter to your congressman.

In the case of some organizations, that's literally what you're doing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

computer parts posted:

From a regulation standpoint lobbying is functionally identical to writing a letter to your congressman.

In the case of some organizations, that's literally what you're doing.

If that letter contained a novelty oversized check for the congressman's reelection campaign and gift certificates for free dinners and golf and also a threat to finance other candidates against them if they don't vote a certain way then yeah, they're pretty much the exact same thing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Good Citizen posted:

If that letter contained a novelty oversized check for the congressman's reelection campaign and gift certificates for free dinners and golf and also a threat to finance other candidates against them if they don't vote a certain way then yeah, they're pretty much the exact same thing

And like I said, there's no effective way to limit that without getting rid of citizen influence all together.

If you think there is, then spell out a regulation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

How about if you are employed to lobby, you can't lobby and should be ignored.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Completely new campaign finance/messaging laws that limit candidates to designated and equal amounts of media space.

Also lol that lobbying is the legitimate form of petitioning the government when mass demonstrations get their skulls cracked by cops.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Lobbying in the US is broken and needs to be fixed with some regulations drafted by smarter men than I. That being said, comparing US lobbying to third world bribery and corruption is loving retarded.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

And like I said, there's no effective way to limit that without getting rid of citizen influence all together.

Okay.

All campaigns are to be funded equitably and solely from funds set aside by the FEC.

All government representatives are forbidden from receiving gifts/favors/perks/what have you from anyone.

Not perfect but eliminates most corporate lobbying/bribery while making reps, hypothetically at least, listen to their constituants.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hello internet posted:

They'll go back to how it was under Bush. How, if you don't support the current GOP administration you're barely a legitimate opinion and possibly a traitor, and how this time the spending is okay because reasons (if they mention it at all.) It still amazes me a bit how quickly the "dissent is patriotic! not my president!" baton passed from one side of the aisle to the other in 2008, although the differences in volume and popular appeal are fairly obvious.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All I'm saying is like, where's the line between you sending a fax to your congressman, and Monsanto? Like how can we know where that line is bro? :420:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

Completely new campaign finance/messaging laws that limit candidates to designated and equal amounts of media space.

Also lol that lobbying is the legitimate form of petitioning the government when mass demonstrations get their skulls cracked by cops.

Yeeaaah that's probably the biggest issue. A rich business/person/think tank/PAC with a lot of resources is allowed to spread awareness by purchasing advertisements, hanging bulletins, holding rallies, whatever. It's perfectly legal for somebody to spend $500,000 to influence public opinion to believe what they want. It doesn't even need to be fact or science based, true, or based on anything at all. Spending $1,000,000 on nothing but "my political opponent eats babies and I approve this message" is perfectly fine.

But if there isn't moneyed interests involved or the message is something lobbyists don't like suddenly the tear gas and riot police show up. Look at Occupy Wall Street. Information eventually came out that there was a deliberate crackdown on OWS. People with money and power did not like the message. The message was attacked.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Miltank posted:

Lobbying in the US is broken and needs to be fixed with some regulations drafted by smarter men than I. That being said, comparing US lobbying to third world bribery and corruption is loving retarded.

Lobbying cant get fixed until there are severe retoolings to campaign finance. When you need 1-2 mil in donations every few year to keep a house seat the lobbyists basically have you by the nuts, they're the ones with the connections to contributors and the strings to pull with event holders etc. Take away the financial need for the campaigns and you take away the need for lobby money.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Lobbying cant get fixed until there are severe retoolings to campaign finance. When you need 1-2 mil in donations every few year to keep a house seat the lobbyists basically have you by the nuts, they're the ones with the connections to contributors and the strings to pull with event holders etc. Take away the financial need for the campaigns and you take away the need for lobby money.

Pretty much. Lobbying itself isn't the problem as much as the 24/7/365 campaign season we have now that requires a constantly topped-off war chest, which can only be filled by the wealthiest of lobbies that are willing to sit on their checkbooks (or write checks to your opponent) if you're not legislating or obstructing hard enough in their favor.

Ever notice that congressmen seem to be much more frank after they announce their retirement and aren't begging for money anymore?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Dittoheads lit up this week after taking these comments at face value
Ways and Means chairman says 100% of targeted groups were right-leaning

quote:

Additionally, we now know that the IRS targeted not only right-leaning applicants, but also right-leaning groups that were already operating as 501(c)(4)s. At Washington, DC’s direction, dozens of groups operating as 501(c)(4)s were flagged for IRS surveillance, including monitoring of the groups’ activities, websites and any other publicly available information. Of these groups, 83 percent were right-leaning. And of the groups the IRS selected for audit, 100 percent were right-leaning

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

isildur posted:

Oh man, thanks for the pointer. This is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUdGCyG-Pw

Christ.

Anyone who unironically listens to an obnoxious twit like this is a completely rotten human being.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Knight posted:

Dittoheads lit up this week after taking these comments at face value
Ways and Means chairman says 100% of targeted groups were right-leaning

This is going to get ugly. Also, concerning the importance of the Ways and Means committee, an excerpt from a great episode of This American Life called Take The Money And Run For Office.

This American Life posted:

Andrea Seabrook
Some members of Congress have a much easier time getting lobbyists and donors to call them back. Members whose positions in Congress give them more sway over powerful interests. A lot of that depends on committee assignments. Here's Jeff Flake, a Republican congressman from Arizona.

Jeff Flake
I can tell you the difference between the fundraising potential when you're sitting on the Ways and Means Committee or sitting on the Science Committee. There's a difference. There's a big difference.

Alex Blumberg
The Ways and Means Committee covers the US tax code. Who gets tax breaks, who pays more. Every corporation in America concerned about the tax code-- which is a lot of corporations-- is suddenly concerned with your candidacy when you're on Ways and Means. The Science Committee can't compete with that. Although, Science isn't the worst. Here's Walt Minnick.

Walt Minnick
Well, I don't know the worst committees. Government Reform, Ethics.

Andrea Seabrook
The leadership of both parties actually ranks each committee according to its fundraising potential. There are lists of the A, B, and C committees with fundraising targets for each one. Those numbers aren't public-- many lawmakers say these lists exist, but no one would give one to us.

Alex Blumberg
So we did our own list, based on publicly-disclosed fundraising numbers. Lee Drutman, a senior fellow at the Sunlight Foundation, crunched data for us, going back to the early '90s. And the math shows the best committee is indeed Ways and Means. Just getting on that committee earns you an estimated quarter million dollars more in donations than the average member of Congress.

Andrea Seabrook
Number two-- no big surprise here-- the Financial Services Committee. It covers banks and Wall Street. It brings in $182,000 more per member than the average. Third best-- Energy and Commerce, which has jurisdiction over the oil and natural gas industries. If you're there, you get a $142,000 boost in fundraising.

Alex Blumberg
And as for the worst-- it's true, Government Reform is bad. As are Education and Natural Resources. They all hurt your fundraising. Members on those committees bring in less than the average. But the very bottom spot belongs to the Judiciary Committee, which covers the federal courts and judicial nominations. Just being on Judiciary costs you $182,000 in donations.

Andrea Seabrook
And then there's leadership. According to the Sunlight data, having a leadership position on any committee-- even a dud committee-- will bump up your fundraising. So, for example, even the chairman of the Government Reform committee does very well, bringing in about a half a million dollars more than the average House member.

Alex Blumberg
And if you become a chairman of a powerhouse committee, an A committee, like Ways and Means or Energy, you pull in over $1 million more. Like Congressman Barney Frank. He became a leader on the Financial Services Committee in 2003 and saw his fundraising skyrocket.

Barney Frank
People would come to see me and pay for the privilege of doing that.

Andrea Seabrook
But there's one catch to getting on a good committee or taking a leadership spot.

Jeff Flake
Where much is given, much is required

Alex Blumberg
Jeff Flake, the Republican from Arizona, says once you get on a good committee or become a chairman, your party's leadership expects you to raise even more money and turn it over to them, so that they can spread it around to members who are less fortunate. Ones in tight races who don't have such an easy time fundraising for themselves. Remember that list of the A, B, and C committees? Flake says leadership makes those targets pretty explicit.

Jeff Flake
We were given dues and assessments. And if you're a senior member on committees that lend themselves to fundraising, and you're either a ranking member or you're the chairman, then you're expected to raise a lot of money.

Andrea Seabrook
Or?

Jeff Flake
Or when you come up every two years to either retain your position or move to another committee, those things are certainly taken into account.

Andrea Seabrook
Do they tell you this?

Jeff Flake
I think that's implied. I think it's pretty well understood.

Lobbying our way to Democracy!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"The IRS was targeting us. :qq:"

Your entire ideology is based on cheating on your taxes.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

SedanChair posted:

"The IRS was targeting us. :qq:"

Your entire ideology is based on cheating on your taxes.

People who self-describe as "opponents of the President" openly complaining that they're being treated like political organizations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It was always interesting in 2012 to see how close the GOP candidates could come to saying 'taxation is theft' without actually saying it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Looks like PBS wants in on that sweet sweet right-wing special interest cash as well:

http://pando.com/2014/02/12/the-wolf-of-sesame-street-revealing-the-secret-corruption-inside-pbss-news-division/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Totally unsurprising. Also that website's comments are so full of stereotypical Tea Party hit and run talking points I'd be surprised if any of them aren't on some payroll to post that stuff.