Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

Every day I use the Surface Pro I like it more. Battery issues have been blown out of proportion imo. 4-5 hours is fine for my uses.. especially how powerful this sucker is and for $499. I mean just load a web page in IE 11.. fastest experience ever, and I mean that.

Yeah I can second all of this. If I'm going to be on the couch for more than 3 hours, which is never, then I'll probably plug it in. The power adapter is the relatively small and almost in-line, not like a laptop thing that goes in at a right angle. If I'm sitting at a desk I'll plug it in too. But if I want to read something on a long train ride it's not going to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I heard people are now able to buy the new Dell Venue Stylus that fixed a lot of issues... does anyone have one yet? Is it smooth now or still jaggy?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I asked in the general Win8 thread, but maybe this is a better place to ask. I've pinned some bookmarks to the start screen on my V8P; is there a way to give them custom icons instead of just having them display the IE icon? It would be nice to be able to make them small but still be able to tell what they are.

As an aside, I've only had it for one day but I am loving this thing. I mostly just got it to watch basketball while I do dishes and to have a cheap tablet for my toddler to play with on plane flights, but I could easily use this for productivity stuff as well. My boss who has an iPad Mini was immediately jealous when I showed him that I had Outlook and Office running side-by-side on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Papercut posted:

I asked in the general Win8 thread, but maybe this is a better place to ask. I've pinned some bookmarks to the start screen on my V8P; is there a way to give them custom icons instead of just having them display the IE icon? It would be nice to be able to make them small but still be able to tell what they are.

Not through Windows but Oblytile should be able to do that.

http://lifehacker.com/5986435/oblytile-creates-fully+customized-windows-8-tiles

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool, thanks!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rent posted:

The pen is really wonky. I've tried it on two devices. Despite it feeling like there is sand on the screen at times, the pen works perfectly in OneNote for handwriting, but when you load up Fresh Paint, it's a little iffy. The edgers of the screen are basically impossible to paint, and it really starts to lose out. Don't know if it's CPU limitation or the pen.

Overall it's a nice little unit, just maybe needs some software updates

I'm late on this one but that's a Fresh Paint issue. The same thing happens on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Pinch to zoom out of the painting to get the edges.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On a similar note, does anyone know if there's a good way to pin Steam games to the start screen? Last time I tried that it didn't work out so well due to Steam's really weird shortcut protocol.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

On a similar note, does anyone know if there's a good way to pin Steam games to the start screen? Last time I tried that it didn't work out so well due to Steam's really weird shortcut protocol.

Steam Pin works really well for me and even allows for live tiles for each game showing your achievement progress.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What games work on Steam other than Civ V and PvZ? Without a mouse and kb that is.

loteck
May 25, 2005

what is BAPE?
One of my main hesitations with the V8P is 2GB of RAM. On 8.1? Can anyone using it for day-to-day comment on multi-tasking in basic applications? 2GB, to me, seems like it would just crawl on even basic applications, especially once I've got 5 browser tabs open.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

well, I can say with a clovertrail win 8 tablet from last year, with 2gb of ram, I could have a dozen tabs open in ie11 and it didn't seem to slow things down at all. This was of course in metro with the way that handles multitasking and not say on the desktop with multiple things open, so I don't know how it would do there.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah IE11 in metro aggressively unloads itself from memory, so it's always snappy if you lean more heavily on metro apps. Desktop mode, you're probably not going to have a great time.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Fyi, if anyone has the dell venue 11 pro, there's a fix for the constant keyboard disconnects in the driver download page. It's called the power management driver or something like that. Seems to have fixed my issue. I think this only applies to the atom version of the tablet, not sure about the i3/i5 versions...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thus far the Venue 8 isn't as bad as I was expecting.

-The screen wasn't that bad even before I turned off auto brightness.
-Didn't have any issues with the touchscreen other than the occasional single doublepress when typing.
-I installed all the available Windows updates and it didn't break anything.
-People must be used to fatfingering with tablets because I found the desktop perfectly usable without jacking up the DPI. You just have to be a little more precise when clicking small elements.
-I do see how people are ending up with broken microUSB ports, the plug and port are mismatched and it's possible to plug it in using the wrong orientation.

The speed is quite nice for a $200 tablet, usability is closer to my midrange desktop than my wife's $250 laptop.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For a $200 proof of concept that Windows 8.1 is great on a 8" tablet, you really cant go wrong with the DVP8.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I don't remember if I linked it here, but this is seriously the best case to get for the DV8P. Slim, protects corners, multiple angles, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKLAYG

I just sold my Surface Pro (for only $20 less than I paid for it last year I might add), and I'm tempted to just use my DV8P for work until my Thinkpad Yoga arrives in a few weeks. It can technically do everything I need (putty/outlook) since I have a USB cable and USB hub, just not sure I want to deal with the screen size/resolution while sitting on a datacenter floor. I'll probably dig out my old 2005 laptop, we'll see.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I don't remember if I linked it here, but this is seriously the best case to get for the DV8P. Slim, protects corners, multiple angles, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKLAYG

I got one of these myself too and it's so much better than Dell folio cover. In addition to what you said, you can put it on and and take it off without having to worry about marring the edges of the tablet (in addition to being a lot easier to do) and the microSD slot is accessible with the cover on.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So I received the asus vivotab and I have to say that the stylus exceeds my expectations. To get best results make sure to place stylus in 90° angle relative to the screen and to avoid the edges of the screen. As a habit, I often place my pen at a 45° angle so it definitely takes some getting used to. I estimate about outer 5% of the screen won't pick up any stylus input. I'm currently writing this post using the stylus and I would estimate about > 90% accuracy. I was expecting maybe 70% which the dell venue 8 pro could not even deliver.

Whether the stylus is worth the extra $100 over the dell would be up to your personal preference. For me it is definitely worth it. Now keep in mind that the main purpose for me is text input at work. I tried out Fresh Paint and could not see any pressure sensitivity. Maybe I need to try a different program but I'm not really interested in graphics work. I imagine that the accuracy will only improve. Also, the palm rejection is excellent.

I'll put up a video tomorrow if any one is interested but the previous video posted was a very good approximation.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

What games work on Steam other than Civ V and PvZ? Without a mouse and kb that is.

Bejeweled 3 is a good time.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Syrinxx posted:

I play Fieldrunners a lot; as far as tower defense games go I enjoy it, and it seems built from the ground up for a touch interface. I like the first more than the second.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 13, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Syrinxx posted:

I don't have any games that do work, but I learned the hard way that, despite having a touchscreen compatible version on the Windows Store, the version of Zen Pinball on Steam does not support touchscreens. The developers response to requests to add touchscreen complatibility to the Steam version have been basically "just buy it again on the Windows store".

Don't buy Zen Pinball.

loteck posted:

One of my main hesitations with the V8P is 2GB of RAM. On 8.1? Can anyone using it for day-to-day comment on multi-tasking in basic applications? 2GB, to me, seems like it would just crawl on even basic applications, especially once I've got 5 browser tabs open.

I've had no (major) problems with RAM. Photoshop CC stuttered a bit when I opened a comically large file in it, but I didn't really expect it to work and was mostly trying to push it as far as I could. The DAW I use (StudioOne) seems to preform well, though again I haven't tried pushing it to it's limit.

Chrome runs decently well, but since I'm using my tablet as, well, a tablet 80% of the time, I usually use IE11, which handles resources excellently.

Basically, if you go in not expecting it to be a desktop replacement, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you discover all that it actually can do.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 13, 2014

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

lostleaf posted:

So I received the asus vivotab and I have to say that the stylus exceeds my expectations. To get best results make sure to place stylus in 90° angle relative to the screen and to avoid the edges of the screen. As a habit, I often place my pen at a 45° angle so it definitely takes some getting used to. I estimate about outer 5% of the screen won't pick up any stylus input. I'm currently writing this post using the stylus and I would estimate about > 90% accuracy. I was expecting maybe 70% which the dell venue 8 pro could not even deliver.

Whether the stylus is worth the extra $100 over the dell would be up to your personal preference. For me it is definitely worth it. Now keep in mind that the main purpose for me is text input at work. I tried out Fresh Paint and could not see any pressure sensitivity. Maybe I need to try a different program but I'm not really interested in graphics work. I imagine that the accuracy will only improve. Also, the palm rejection is excellent.

I'll put up a video tomorrow if any one is interested but the previous video posted was a very good approximation.

Please do! You're using yours just like I'd hope to use mine. I'd love to see some handwriting demonstrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Saw this really complicated way to get a Dell Venue 8 Pro to charge and use USB at the same time.

Haven't tried it myself but others are reporting it works.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59328-venue-8-usb-power-same-time-32.html#post367839

- edit And the redesigned stylus is rumored to be released soon.

quote:

It appears the stylus woes of Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro tablet users are going to be resolved in the upcoming weeks.

In mid-January we told you about a strange situation affecting the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 tablets. After months of complaining, their dedicated Active Styluses were faulty, users saw Dell pull off the accessories from sale, without any notice.

Furthermore, the PC maker didn't say what was causing the issues nor did it specify when it was going to be bringing back the styluses, which were an integral part of the Venue Pro tablet experience and counted-upon by many people who purchased them.

Anyway, back then sources speculated that the problem was related with some faulty pins and new improved ones were expected to arrive at the end of January.

Finally, now in mid-February it seems Dell is ready to start the re-distribution of a new batch of Active Styluses with Synaptics technology and compatible with Dell Venue 8 Pro, Dell Venue Pro 11 and Dell XPS 11.

Folks over at the Italian publication TabletPC have managed to get their hands on a sample. The new styluses are characterized by the “REV A01” label and worldwide distribution will apparently kick-start in the upcoming days.

The new styluses will arrive in the US to people who have placed pre-orders for them in the past weeks and will spread from there across the world. In two weeks, the Styluses should also make a comeback in the Dell official store too.

Basically the new styluses look the same as the old ones, and the only way to distinguish between them is to look on the manufacturing box and check the “REV A01” label. The previous versions were marked as “REV A00.” Also, the production date is noted to be January 2014.

That’s good news for all the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro users who have been eagerly awaiting for Dell to do something. We do hope the producing company has managed to fix the previous issues and the new styluses work as they should.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Dell-Active-Stylus-REV-A01-For-Venue-8-Pro-and-11-Pro-Tablets-to-Ship-Out-Soon-426603.shtml

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 13, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
$130 for an Open Box V8P at my local Micro Center. "Incomplete," however. But even if it's missing the power cord, what sort of IYG poster would I be if I didn't have a dozen wall warts and MicroUSB plugs lying around?

It's so very, very tempting.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The power cord is about the only thing that could be missing, IIRC. No accessories are included, there's no SD card, and the SD card cover is attached.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Mine charges just fine on just about every wall charger I have at my house, including my car charger. I'd not worry about it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

lostleaf posted:

A video would be great -especially if you could show Metro OneNote a little, how handwriting works combined with drawing squares and highlighting - and if it converts to text well!

Also what do you think of the screen resolution, its only 188 ppi which is the only thing putting me off.

I did find this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9bjNRJiIk which is a pretty glowing review of the pen.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Anyone know how well the new Dell Venue Stylus works? I heard some people were able to get the revised stylus recently. The old one was jaggy as all hell, hopefully this new one is smooth.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Surface owners take a look at this case:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrisleung/freedomcase-adjustable-stand-and-case-for-microsof

I backed the cheaper one because I'm am idiot for kickstarter projects.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Surface owners take a look at this case:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrisleung/freedomcase-adjustable-stand-and-case-for-microsof

I backed the cheaper one because I'm am idiot for kickstarter projects.

Jeez, they thought to add an elastic loop to hold the stylus while you're charging? That's so darn thoughtful...and tempting.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Regarding the low PPI, it actually works as an advantage for me because I'm using this for work and it needs to work with legacy applications that work poorly with high PPI devices. The screen itself is IPS display with good viewing angles so there's not a lot to complain about. If I was using this as a personal device, I would be a little disappointed especially with my other tablets like the nexus 7 2013 and the nexus 10 but I wouldn't discount this device based on the low PPI. If however, they come out with a revision of this later on with a 1080p screen, I would preorder in two seconds.

The stylus does register pressure levels but the app has to specifically take advantage of it. Fresh Paint doesn't do this. But OneNote does. The big problem I see with the stylus is the button on it. It is at the same time too easy to press and too hard to find especially when you are trying to lasso text in OneNote. The device also comes with a code slip for MS home office.

I've uploaded 2 videos. Sorry they are kind of crappy but I hope they give you some idea of the device. The 2 videos previously linked show it much better than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmfaICgX8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9k6_pxEF60

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Other than the price, is there any advantage of the Dell VP8 over the Asus Note 8?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lostleaf posted:

The stylus does register pressure levels but the app has to specifically take advantage of it. Fresh Paint doesn't do this. But OneNote does.
I bet this is a Wacom driver issue. You probably have to load the Wacom Feel driver to get pressure sensitivity across more applications. I have seen some reviews saying that pressure either doesn't work or needs to be cajoled in Photoshop...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Other than the price, is there any advantage of the Dell VP8 over the Asus Note 8?

Not really. All of the 8" tablets (aside from the thinkpad with the better screen and processor) are more or less the same, give or take one or two features. The venue 8 seems to be winning this generation based on price alone.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Dell supports miracast, which I'm not sure the Asus has. You'd need a miracast dongle ($35-70) for your monitor in order to use it.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 14, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The stylus for the Dell Venue Pro is available from Dell again. 3-5 week shipping delay but you can use coupon code QG3G$33HH3QP0? to get 15% off and free next day shipping.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=750-AADH&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t_DLUPtpyY

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dang, Microsoft Store has the HP Omni 10 for $299, that's a good price for 10" full HD screen:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.289455000

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Dang, Microsoft Store has the HP Omni 10 for $299, that's a good price for 10" full HD screen:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.289455000

Tempting but at 32 gigs you are looking at like 6 free out of the box.

I saw an HP at the Microsoft store today and the screen was dull as poo poo and really dim on the highest brightness. I'm hoping it wasn't this model. Is this one an IPS panel?

Edit:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Omni-10-5600eg-F4W59EA-Tablet.108702.0.html

Looks like it is IPS. The model I saw was certainly not this model. Good price but 32 gigs is rough, hence the sale price.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 15, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

The stylus for the Dell Venue Pro is available from Dell again. 3-5 week shipping delay but you can use coupon code QG3G$33HH3QP0? to get 15% off and free next day shipping.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=750-AADH&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t_DLUPtpyY

Heh, I hope that's the new one because it looks like it's not 3-5 week delayed. Ordered today, I had free overnight shipping because of Dell Advantage or some work discount or something, and then later got this via e-mail:

Hope they aren't clearing the old ones or something dumb like that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

hotsauce posted:

Tempting but at 32 gigs you are looking at like 6 free out of the box.

I saw an HP at the Microsoft store today and the screen was dull as poo poo and really dim on the highest brightness. I'm hoping it wasn't this model. Is this one an IPS panel?

Edit:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Omni-10-5600eg-F4W59EA-Tablet.108702.0.html

Looks like it is IPS. The model I saw was certainly not this model. Good price but 32 gigs is rough, hence the sale price.
The Omni has 16+ free out of the box because the recovery is on an 8GB micro SD that's included in the slot. Also the panel looks great. 16 GB isn't that much, though, so I'm still trying to figure out how to install apps and stuff to an sdcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

The Omni has 16+ free out of the box because the recovery is on an 8GB micro SD that's included in the slot. Also the panel looks great. 16 GB isn't that much, though, so I'm still trying to figure out how to install apps and stuff to an sdcard.

That's pretty cool. How are the speakers? The review link I posted said they aren't that great. The V8Pro's single speaker is a cannon and is pretty drat clear, but FHD interests me, especially since it's the same price as the 64gig V8Pro...

For a multimedia tablet, good speakers are a must for me.

• Locked thread