Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

Remember, this is Benny. What would happen to him would be some sort of Keystone Kops routine accompanied by Yakkety Sax.

He'd step on a board, like a rake in a cartoon, which would spring up and smack him in the face. He'd recoil backwards into a pallet of ping-pong balls, which would spill on the floor and trip him up. This would send him careening into a stack of paint cans, which would spill all over him. Flailing about, he'd rip open a bag of craft feathers, which would flutter down and stick to the paint in which he was splattered. Terrified, he would run out of the warehouse and onto the sales floor, covered in paint and feathers, bawking for all the world like some mad painted chicken. No...I don't think you've thought this through.

Holy poo poo I love this thread.

Edit: Oh poo poo, new page. Um, yeah how about that post I quoted? It's really funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

Remember, this is Benny. What would happen to him would be some sort of Keystone Kops routine accompanied by Yakkety Sax.

He'd step on a board, like a rake in a cartoon, which would spring up and smack him in the face. He'd recoil backwards into a pallet of ping-pong balls, which would spill on the floor and trip him up. This would send him careening into a stack of paint cans, which would spill all over him. Flailing about, he'd rip open a bag of craft feathers, which would flutter down and stick to the paint in which he was splattered. Terrified, he would run out of the warehouse and onto the sales floor, covered in paint and feathers, bawking for all the world like some mad painted chicken. No...I don't think you've thought this through.

I'm failing to see a problem here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sunshine89 posted:

Seriously, one of the better overnight stock dudes I worked with was functionally illiterate.

A friend of mine does accounting for his father's business, an interior trim/door/window wholesaler. Their warehouse guy/delivery driver is functionally illiterate; among his highlights are routinely not being able to spell his own name and having to call a salesman for clarification on instructions to "leave this stuff behind the fence" (when he called, he pronounced fence "fenky" and wanted to know what a "fenky" was.) In addition he is a convicted felon.

Despite these challenges this man has been able to hold down a full time job that pays about $16/hour for at least the last 6 or 7 years.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Geoj posted:

A friend of mine does accounting for his father's business, an interior trim/door/window wholesaler. Their warehouse guy/delivery driver is functionally illiterate; among his highlights are routinely not being able to spell his own name and having to call a salesman for clarification on instructions to "leave this stuff behind the fence" (when he called, he pronounced fence "fenky" and wanted to know what a "fenky" was.) In addition he is a convicted felon.

Despite these challenges this man has been able to hold down a full time job that pays about $16/hour for at least the last 6 or 7 years.

I am almost certain a big part of the reason he is employed is entertainment value.
If I were an employer, I would hire Benny simply for this reason.
His job would be to write thunderdome stories and do my shopping at a store that most definitely uses shopping carts.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Geoj posted:

This is Benny, who called the cops on his mom for comic book crimes and thought calling in drunk was a great excuse to get off work. You're illiterate guy is a person who probably doesn't want to end up homeless or in jail.... in other words he has drive. The only drive Benny has is halfheartedly trying to get pity laid.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Do pity lays even exist? I pretty much consider them unicorns.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Should Benny wish to sign up for Thunderdome and subject us to his writing again, he has about 48 hours.

I'm saying this only because a bunch of people from this thread seemed to have signed up this week to support him, but he's a no-show.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've judged several times, and had the misfortune of having to read some loving horrible stories including Rural Rentboys, and the author has actually continued posting fiction like a trooper and his writing is improving.

Benny, I read your story. It's pretty bad, but it's not loving horrible. Even if it's loving horrible, if you really want to write, keep writing. If you don't enter this week's Thunderdome for whatever reason (that I expect most goons will judge you on), just wait until there's one that interests you.

Also I wrote this as part of my crit when I was looking at Rural Rentboys and I think it applies to you:

quote:

Are you here to improve your writing? Do you like to write? Do you want to write? Because if you cannot answer these questions by way of CONFIRM/DENY, you might want to sit down and have a think about it.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Guys, we haven't heard from Benny since he posted that story.
I hope we weren't too mean.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OrganizedInsanity posted:

This is Benny, who called the cops on his mom for comic book crimes and thought calling in drunk was a great excuse to get off work. You're illiterate guy is a person who probably doesn't want to end up homeless or in jail.... in other words he has drive. The only drive Benny has is halfheartedly trying to get pity laid.

I get that, but if a middle school dropout who cannot reliably spell his own name and has difficulty reading at a third grade level and has a felony conviction on his record can obtain and hold down a full time job for the better part of a decade, someone who (allegedly) has a four-year degree should as well.

TBH I'm firmly back in the "Benny the Snake is an elaborate troll" camp.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

a year later i slaughtered my whole thread in cold blood

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Wangsbig posted:

drat.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Geoj posted:

I get that, but if a middle school dropout who cannot reliably spell his own name and has difficulty reading at a third grade level and has a felony conviction on his record can obtain and hold down a full time job for the better part of a decade, someone who (allegedly) has a four-year degree should as well.

TBH I'm firmly back in the "Benny the Snake is an elaborate troll" camp.

This is why I'm convinced there has to be some sort of disorder present- he'd still be a buggy boy at Target otherwise. If people that have problems that go way deeper than Benny's can hold down a gig, there's no reason why Benny can't- barring of course, schizo(id)phrenia and whatever else he has. Brain candy and therapy would go a long way, but that seems to have dropped off of everybody's radar because it's more fun mocking the stereotypical goon; the "there by the grace of God go I" type of goon that so many of us could have been if we didn't do something about it.

Could have sworn some goon confirmed it too.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Sunshine89 posted:

This is why I'm convinced there has to be some sort of disorder present- he'd still be a buggy boy at Target otherwise. If people that have problems that go way deeper than Benny's can hold down a gig, there's no reason why Benny can't- barring of course, schizo(id)phrenia and whatever else he has. Brain candy and therapy would go a long way, but that seems to have dropped off of everybody's radar because it's more fun mocking the stereotypical goon; the "there by the grace of God go I" type of goon that so many of us could have been if we didn't do something about it.

Could have sworn some goon confirmed it too.

I don't think it's so much a "dropped off the radar" thing, as a "beating a dead horse" thing. It's been suggested that he get medication (which, he did but still complains about being able to fund it) despite that many people looked up how to contact companies to get steep discounts and low income credits to get whatever drug he's on for nearly free. He's said he goes to therapy, for all the good it seems to do him since he doesn't seem to listen to the therapist either.

I've tried really hard to help Benny, even to the point of helping him research jobs in his area etc. The issue is that he does not listen. Period.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Wangsbig posted:

Whoaaaaa, his "family" in his story was us, the thread, all along.
He dropped a sick metaphorical burn on all of us and we didn't even know it.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

I've tried really hard to help Benny, even to the point of helping him research jobs in his area etc. The issue is that he does not listen. Period.

He doesn't listen, but that's probably a manifestation of whatever else is going on in his brain. You can't expect an internet thread to succeed where his college, unemployment resources, and presumably his family have not. It's pretty clear that Benny is lacking in basic reasoning, time management, and planning skills. Until those are fixed you might as well be shouting help in Latin because it's not going to get through to him.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

in_cahoots posted:

He doesn't listen, but that's probably a manifestation of whatever else is going on in his brain. You can't expect an internet thread to succeed where his college, unemployment resources, and presumably his family have not. It's pretty clear that Benny is lacking in basic reasoning, time management, and planning skills. Until those are fixed you might as well be shouting help in Latin because it's not going to get through to him.

It may be but keep in mind he had the presence of mind to call the cops on his mom. There's probably something wrong with his head but lets face it, he's unemployed because its easier for him. He has his parents and a cushy house to live in where the upside of getting a job is moving out and having to do more things by himself.
You can laugh and be condescending to the convict guy all you want but the fact that he had to presence of mind to call and make sure he's doing the job right shows that he cares and he's fully aware of his shortcommings. The delivery guy is holding down a job because he's determined to, Benny tried to rationalize screwing over a co-worker less than a month into his job. That's pretty telling.

Here's hoping that Benny's just a conservative troll but if he is, drat its working.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny's either a mentally ill person trying (with varying degrees of success and credibility) to improve his lot in life, or someone who has dedicated upwards a year of his life generating a flawless portrayal himself as a mentally ill screwup on the internet.

What I'm saying is that if he's a troll, he deserves a goddamn Pulitzer.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Wangsbig posted:

:drat:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

docbeard posted:

Benny's either a mentally ill person trying (with varying degrees of success and credibility) to improve his lot in life, or someone who has dedicated upwards a year of his life generating a flawless portrayal himself as a mentally ill screwup on the internet.

What I'm saying is that if he's a troll, he deserves a goddamn Pulitzer.

Nobody will ever reach the heights of TobleroneTriangular, but Benny will at least get an honorable mention. I just doubt that he is a troll because he ignores particular criticisms and questions, especially when it comes to his writing and English language skills in general.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Does anyone know for certain he didn't murder his parents? And the reason he's not posting right now is because he's rotting in jail?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Nobody will ever reach the heights of TobleroneTriangular, but Benny will at least get an honorable mention. I just doubt that he is a troll because he ignores particular criticisms and questions, especially when it comes to his writing and English language skills in general.

To be fair that is one of the biggest complaints people have about E/N posters. Either it's a troll or it's just a guy who was raised comfortably who doesn't know how to operate in the real world, and honestly either is believable at this point

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

natetimm posted:

Do pity lays even exist? I pretty much consider them unicorns.

The piety aspect is just a stipulation that can sometimes play into it. The pitiful situation would probably be something outside of your control. (IE: Losing the championship game, death of loved one, didn't get the job you really wanted, etc.)

More pitiful doesn't equal higher chance of sex. Eventually you hit a threshold of "Ok, this is beyond pitiful. This person is just a sad, sack of poo poo."

Also, every other aspect of attraction still plays into it. If you can get "piety sex," chances are you could have probably still hosed that person, without the piety aspect.

Always Sunny: Charlie Gets Crippled; does a good job at putting it into perspective.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

cname posted:

The piety aspect is just a stipulation that can sometimes play into it. The pitiful situation would probably be something outside of your control. (IE: Losing the championship game, death of loved one, didn't get the job you really wanted, etc.)

More pitiful doesn't equal higher chance of sex. Eventually you hit a threshold of "Ok, this is beyond pitiful. This person is just a sad, sack of poo poo."

Also, every other aspect of attraction still plays into it. If you can get "piety sex," chances are you could have probably still hosed that person, without the piety aspect.

Always Sunny: Charlie Gets Crippled; does a good job at putting it into perspective.

Piety sex? You mean someone loving him for religious reasons?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The cult of Benny

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

No Longer Flaky posted:

Piety sex? You mean someone loving him for religious reasons?

I'm pretty sure it's considered a form of sacrifice.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Krotera posted:

I'm pretty sure it's considered a form of sacrifice.

The Holy Virgin Snake doesn't get piety sex, that'd completely miss the point. You consecrate your own pairings, asking for a blessing from the Holy Virgin, and you know your union was blessed if you hear a post-coital whisper on the wind: "A year later, I killed my penitents in cold blood."

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I decide to take a break for two days and my thread blows up under me.

I knew that "The Oracle" was a piece of poo poo. Posting it was the worst thing I could've done. I rushed it so I could meet the deadline and now I regret posting the drat thing in the first place. I'm just glad I got a bad story out of me. Maybe I'll enter the Thunderdome again, I don't know.

Good news is I've been making progress as far as the job search goes. I had an interview yesterday at a shoe company for an office assistant position. I went in with my resume, typing certification, and letter of recommendation from my internship ready and I wrote a thank you note to my interviewer. I should get a call by next week if I got a job. I'm attending a job fair at the job center today. I have a portfolio ready which consists of my resume, my certification, and my letter of recomendation. I'm thinking about getting copies of my diploma to complete it. I'll let you guys know later on how it went.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Benny the Snake posted:

I knew that "The Oracle" was a piece of poo poo. Posting it was the worst thing I could've done. I rushed it so I could meet the deadline and now I regret posting the drat thing in the first place. I'm just glad I got a bad story out of me. Maybe I'll enter the Thunderdome again, I don't know.

Good news is I've been making progress as far as the job search goes. I had an interview yesterday at a shoe company for an office assistant position. I went in with my resume, typing certification, and letter of recommendation from my internship ready and I wrote a thank you note to my interviewer. I should get a call by next week if I got a job. I'm attending a job fair at the job center today. I have a portfolio ready which consists of my resume, my certification, and my letter of recomendation. I'm thinking about getting copies of my diploma to complete it. I'll let you guys know later on how it went.

Guys, guys, its ok because Benny didn't make any effort in that story. Thank god none of this is a microcosm of his incompetence IRL.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

Do it. You didn't even lose or get a dishonorable mention, and as mentioned, the "Rural Rentboys" guy has come back and improved as well.

Also you managed to get heavy cross-thread pollination, so there's that. 40+ entrants so far this week, and signup's aren't even over yet :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Make sure you bring many copies of your resume since you probably are going to give them out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How convenient that you've never made an effort in any of the writing that you've posted in this thread or elsewhere. Even the poo poo that you provided specifically to demonstrate the brilliance of your education and/or talent.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Benny the Snake posted:

Don't enter a piece of poo poo into a writing competition. People here would have ate it up, and you could have been mature about the whole thing and just admitted to not having time to polish anything, rather than wasting any of the judges' time with something that you knew to be bad.

Now for the good part: good luck on the interview, good job on going through the extra steps, and good luck with the job fair :)

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
So when do we actually get to see you try?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Hey guys, I really can write, see?"

"Benny, that was terrible"

"Yeah? Well, I knew it would be bad, that's why I posted it! I wasn't even trying!"

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Subjectively, the story's poop-smut. But objectively, the grammar is horse-dung.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Posting it was the best thing you could have done (and I don't just mean for the thread's entertainment). You now have something in common with every successful writer out there: you have written something that wasn't very good and asked people what they think about it. (Admittedly this is also something you have in common with many unsuccessful writers.)

And yeah. You didn't lose. You didn't even come close.

The lesson here is the same as the ultimate lesson in all your past endeavors: look at what you did poorly this time, and do better next time. That's honestly about 90% of what life is, for everyone.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

docbeard posted:

Posting it was the best thing you could have done (and I don't just mean for the thread's entertainment). You now have something in common with every successful writer out there: you have written something that wasn't very good and asked people what they think about it. (Admittedly this is also something you have in common with many unsuccessful writers.)

And yeah. You didn't lose. You didn't even come close.

The lesson here is the same as the ultimate lesson in all your past endeavors: look at what you did poorly this time, and do better next time. That's honestly about 90% of what life is, for everyone.

There's no reason to change. Didn't you read Benny's post? This wasn't representative of his true skills.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Benny, I know this will take you 3 weeks to respond to, what with your busy life and all, but what happened with your other story? Johnny Magnum, or whatever it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Maybe it's just you're a bad writer because you have not spent very much time practicing writing, and if you want to be a better writer you need to write a lot more? Like. A ton more.

Instead of making excuses, write. You're going to be terrible for a while. Suck it up.

• Locked thread