Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Missing from this is Steiner violently goosing Nidia in such a fashion that she visibly jumped. This happened to occur during a backstage segment where Jamie Noble and Nidia were complaining about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

I want to stress this, because it's very, very important. This is how the storyline went, literally without any exaggeration on my part:

You can watch the promo here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anbf9Y6I2DQ

I hate to open myself up to a lambasting, but just to play devil's advocate here: Remember that the crux of Scott Steiner's storyline is that he was the hottest free agent wrestler on the market, a game changer in the budding Brand Split War between Bischoff and Stephanie. They were both absolutely desperate to get him. And his character was a face version of his most popular heel persona, that being a 90's Comic Book style unrepentant alpha dog who only cared about three things, his muscles, the ladies, and winning fights.

So both sides are trying to bribe him with boat loads of money. But Steiner's character doesn't really care that much about money. So both sides try to entice him with competition by having midcarders insult him. But Steiner just squashes them because he has nothing but contempt for the weasel heels on both shows. So Eric Bischoff decides he's going to bribe Steiner with like 10 girls. But Steiner has already agreed to spend a night out with Stephanie, who made him "promises." But at the contract signing it comes out that nothing happened during their night out despite Stephanie's promises.

Now, I grant that Stephanie trying to sleep her way to success with Steiner is just plain awful and the worst kind of late 90's early 00's lowest common denominator pandering. But given how the contract signing actually plays out, I think the point was to show that Steiner cared more about the fact that Stephanie lied to him than he did about the actual sex. If all he wanted was sex he would have stayed with Bischoff because 10 > 1. He pushed the issue to the point of absurdity because she kept dancing around that she'd backed down from her word and making false promises, and in the end rather than do something to make good on what she'd said, she tried to get around it with more double-talk. And so Steiner signs with Raw because Bischoff may be a sleaze, but at least he's not jerking Steiner around and making promises he won't back up.

I admit I'm probably being more generous than I should be, but that's how I saw it back in the day when I saw it live on TV was way into that kind of anti-hero character. Obviously if all of that was their intent they didn't do a great job and what we got is problematic at best.

But in the end I think the biggest ration of blame for the angle having issues is that Scott Steiner's persona doesn't translate very well to being a Face.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yeah but Steiner was cool and badass

-edit-

^^^^ this guy gets it ^^^^

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sanguinia posted:

But in the end I think the biggest ration of blame for the angle having issues is that Scott Steiner's persona doesn't translate very well to being a Face.

This is very accurate. Guy should have been a heel from the start.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Basically, Steiner being Steiner but face would be like Rick Rude doing the full-on Rick Rude gimmick but as a face.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

VogeGandire posted:

Basically, Steiner being Steiner but face would be like Rick Rude doing the full-on Rick Rude gimmick but as a face.

what was the difference between this and say The Rock or Stone Cold?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Austin rebelling against his boss is a trope that a lot of people can get behind, ergo he is a face. Rock got over through a combination of being the coolest guy in the room and rebelling against Vince. Steiner's just a jacked rear end in a top hat with a big mouth who assumes all ladies dig on him.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
There's nothing finer than Scott Steiner.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Worst part of that segment was watching Steph tromp her way in those high heels. Theres classes for that, miss.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

coconono posted:

Worst part of that segment was watching Steph tromp her way in those high heels. Theres classes for that, miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGSF47C1amU

Every single sketch/promo/interview/match from this feud was a trainwreck. Why did Steiner strip Triple H down to his man-panties? :psyduck:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

There's nothing finer than Scott Steiner.
The phemomenon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Every single sketch/promo/interview/match from this feud was a trainwreck. Why did Steiner strip Triple H down to his man-panties? :psyduck:
It is likely a callback to a Steamboat/Flair
angle where Steamboat tore Flair's suit to shreds in mid-atlantic. It was the start of Steamboat's rise to the top in the territory.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Red posted:

because Triple H styled himself a Ric Flair-esque suit-wearing heel and Steiner was embarrassing him

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Well, that mystery is solved.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Pretty good return on investment IMO

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
That twitter handle looks silly now.

Also I desperately want a wrestler to use the name Antonio Langston. Somewhere, somehow.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Perfidus posted:

That twitter handle looks silly now.

Also I desperately want a wrestler to use the name Antonio Langston. Somewhere, somehow.

Ahem.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Rude and Steiner both had gimmicks that were, at their core, required being antagonistic towards the fans/audience/whatever. In fact, their gimmicks were actually pretty similar in that they were both dudes who were obsessed with their bodies, the ladies, and with how much bigger/stronger/more desirable they were to said ladies than other men. It makes no sense to make someone like this a face. The Rock and Austin's gimmicks didn't necessarily require being antagonistic towards the audience.

The Rock and Austin were generally assholes to other people on the roster, and this translated into them being able to float between heel and face or tweener based on who they were being assholes to. They could be assholes to the crowd, too, but the core of their gimmick didn't require it. If they were assholes to faces, they were heels. If they were assholes to heels, they were faces.

Steiner and Rude, in the gimmicks that "made them", were always antagonistic towards the crowd, be it Rude telling all the sweathogs to sit down so their women could look at what a real man looks like or Steiner, well, pretty much doing the exact same thing but also overtly wanting to violently gently caress everything with a vagina. Without serious repackaging, which would have killed their characters and heat, you are never going to get someone like that over as a face outside of a debut face reaction or whatever. The crowd is not going to buy that the dude telling them he wants to gently caress their girlfriend is a good guy.

Occupy Japan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 13, 2014

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Occupy Japan posted:

Rude and Steiner both had gimmicks that were, at their core, required being antagonistic towards the fans/audience/whatever. In fact, their gimmicks were actually pretty similar in that they were both dudes who were obsessed with their bodies, the ladies, and with how much bigger/stronger/more desirable they were to said ladies than other men. It makes no sense to make someone like this a face. The Rock and Austin's gimmicks didn't necessarily require being antagonistic towards the audience.

The Rock and Austin were generally assholes to other people on the roster, and this translated into them being able to float between heel and face or tweener based on who they were being assholes to. They could be assholes to the crowd, too, but the core of their gimmick didn't require it. If they were assholes to faces, they were heels. If they were assholes to heels, they were faces.

Steiner and Rude, in the gimmicks that "made them", were always antagonistic towards the crowd, be it Rude telling all the sweathogs to sit down so their women could look at what a real man looks like or Steiner, well, pretty much doing the exact same thing but also overtly wanting to violently gently caress everything with a vagina. Without serious repackaging, which would have killed their characters and heat, you are never going to get someone like that over as a face outside of a debut face reaction or whatever. The crowd is not going to buy that the dude telling them he wants to gently caress their girlfriend is a good guy.

I think part of the reason people believed Steiner's gimmick could work as a face is that he would actually get a surprising amount of positive reaction from the ladies. I watched a lot of old Scott Steiner promos for the TEW Monday Night Wars thread, and it kind of amazed me that no matter how big a turd he was being, women in the crowds were always going nuts for him to the point of drowning out the boos. I don't know if it was the same for Rude back in the day, I know camera shots liked to show ladies swooning when he walked by, but I find it a bit tough to imagine he had women screaming with joy to the point where in a vacuum you might believe he was a good guy watching his promos.

Randy Orton sometimes has a similar thing. He's got a lot of horny fangirls who won't stop cheering him no matter how big a heel he is, it's not hard to notice them, though they're only a vocal minority.

And really, why not? When the message is "I'm an attractive, virile guy and my favorite thing in the world is giving women mind-blowing orgasms," whats not to like? It was a lot more rare for him to take open shots at audience beyond "this city and everyone in it sucks," generic cheap heat (at least from what I've watched), and he always took the time to let the ladies know he wanted them no matter how terrible Cleveland or Hoboken or Baton Rouge are. That's a bit of a different flavor from "all your boyfriends are terrible sweethearts, lose the zeroes and get with the hero," 70's Beach Bully talk.

The line between confidence and self-centeredness is fine, and Scott Steiner could have potentially walked it better than Rick Rude without changing his character. The building blocks were there during his WWE run. But making a complete douche likeable is tricky and takes a lot of writing talent, so it's hardly shocking that WWE failed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

When the message is "I'm an attractive, virile guy and my favorite thing in the world is giving women mind-blowing orgasms," whats not to like?

I'd theorize Steiner breaks more bones during sex than he delivers orgasms.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kinda hard to get off when you have some sweaty baboon hovering over you going HANH HANH HANH.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Kinda hard to get off when you have some sweaty baboon hovering over you going HANH HANH HANH.

"IS THAT *UNGH* SUPPOSED TO GO IN THERE?"

"MAYBE IT'S RIGHT, MAYBE IT AIN'T!"

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I was going to try and sneak in a Scott Steiner probability joke here, but I couldn't think of any, so enjoy some Scott Steiner math:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Red
Apr 15, 2003

There just needs to be a Scott Steiner thread.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Scott Steiner/HHH feud was one of my favorite wrestling things ever. Arm wrestling, pose downs, attempted prostitution, bench pressing (sadly, cancelled), and incredible Steiner promos. The only bad thing was the wrestling and the fact that HHH of course went over.

Like, I don't know if it's possible to be a wrestling fan from the late 90s-early 2000s and not have Scott Steiner as your favorite person to see on TV every week.

I think the one thing I miss most from wrestling is letting heels cut promos and get the crowd into a frenzy. You don't see stuff like Steiner or the Dudley Boys having dudes jump the ring to fight them anymore. Why am I supposed to care about generic random heels when they are only vaguely arrogant instead of outright hostile to the fans? You should be paying to see these guys get their asses kicked.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 13, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Calling Ric Flair a Shar Pei puppy was a highlight.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Staying on target, Steiner's twitter is pretty neat: https://twitter.com/ScottSteiner

He pretty much goes off on Bischoff, Hogan, and Brooke Hogan. There was a line of people to slap Eric Bischoff, I guess?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Staying on target, Steiner's twitter is pretty neat: https://twitter.com/ScottSteiner

He pretty much goes off on Bischoff, Hogan, and Brooke Hogan. There was a line of people to slap Eric Bischoff, I guess?

Grammar aside, there's some salient points in there. Like how once you lose fans, getting them back is pretty tough or even impossible. I mean, how many wrestling fans stopped watching wrestling when WCW died and haven't been back since?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know if it was the same for Rude back in the day, I know camera shots liked to show ladies swooning when he walked by, but I find it a bit tough to imagine he had women screaming with joy to the point where in a vacuum you might believe he was a good guy watching his promos.

Watching old Rude matches, he seemed to get pretty good reactions from women in the crowd, and definitely some pro-Rude signs being held by the ladies.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Shima Honnou posted:

Watching old Rude matches, he seemed to get pretty good reactions from women in the crowd, and definitely some pro-Rude signs being held by the ladies.

I saw Rick Rude at the Spectrum in Philly when I was in high school. :getin:

He had the Tom Selleck thing going on, and there were as many high-pitched squeals for him as there are for Orton today.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
RIP Rude, too good for the squared circle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

One of my first wrestlememories was the Jake/Rude feud, where Rick came out with Cheryl Roberts airbrushed on his tights.

God, Rude (with Brain) and Jake. The promos were insanely good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

The Scott Steiner/HHH feud was one of my favorite wrestling things ever. Arm wrestling, pose downs, attempted prostitution, bench pressing (sadly, cancelled), and incredible Steiner promos. The only bad thing was the wrestling and the fact that HHH of course went over.

It's easy to forget since Steiner looked so awful in the Rumble match, but be actually "won" the match when Triple H panicked and got himself deliberately disqualified.

Getting back on track:

Dave Meltzer posted:

Somebody in New Japan needs to call @JRsBBQ I can't even imagine how awesome Okada vs Goto or Ishii vs. Naito would be with him calling.

While I'd love to see it too, it's pretty funny to see a guy like Meltzer posting the same type of thing you'd likely see any pro-wrestling fan post online.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why isn't JR calling NJPW? I think that would make me watch it so much because I am a big baby man who has to have a Southern man explain wrestling to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I imagine at this stage in his life, JR wouldn't be too keen on the idea of living in (or even traveling once a month to) Japan and getting to grips with an entirely new stable of wrestlers, and having to tell stories about them in the ring based on secondhand translations, not to mention working out the correct pronunciation of their names.

I don't doubt he could call one hell of a match, but it is such a far out there concept that it might as well be fantasy booking.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd imagine it's because he wouldn't know how to function on commentary without a steroid addled madman to demean him as he works.

Still, it'd be great to see.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 13, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd imagine it's because he wouldn't know how to function on commentary without a steroid addled madman demean him as he works.

Still, it'd be great to see.

Scott Steiner's probably not doing much, he can do color.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's because JR is a racist

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Well I imagine at this stage in his life, JR wouldn't be too keen on the idea of living in (or even traveling once a month to) Japan and getting to grips with an entirely new stable of wrestlers, and having to tell stories about them in the ring based on secondhand translations, not to mention working out the correct pronunciation of their names.

I don't doubt he could call one hell of a match, but it is such a far out there concept that it might as well be fantasy booking.

...Why couldn't he do it like Tenay and Taz (and basically any of the non-English and Spanish announce teams for TNA and WWE) and do it from a studio in the US? He'd be looking at a monitor anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why isn't JR calling NJPW? I think that would make me watch it so much because I am a big baby man who has to have a Southern man explain wrestling to me.

Less than 1,000 of NJPW's iPPV buys come from outside of Japan, and with their CMLL ties at least some of those are from Mexico (likely why the Dome show got a Spanish feed but no English.) JR is going to cost thousands of dollars, if he going to increase the business those shows do in the English speaking world enough to cover the cost? Bringing in a high priced announced to appeal to 1% of your audience is a risky move.