Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

MassRafTer posted:

I put "better guests than Todd Martin" since it seemed more constructive than "Todd Martin is the worst part of this site, at least I can laugh at Joe Babinsack."

I did put that I hoped Dave lived forever and that Bryan, Vinny, Craig, Granny, and Coughlin on the Sin Limite show were are all great. Then I said I skip all Todd Martin shows because every one of them I have listened to has been terrible. So that is kind of constructive I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

EDIT: Wrong thread.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

10 count won't be tonight but later this week. New Japan and such. Also I've got a bad cold and have been sneezing all day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The new Steve Austin Show has Dave Millican, the "Ace of Belts" who makes all of WWE's belts (among many others). He mentions working on a project for WWE.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endless Mike posted:

The new Steve Austin Show has Dave Millican, the "Ace of Belts" who makes all of WWE's belts (among many others). He mentions working on a project for WWE.

Probably whatever they're going to have to replace the IC/US titles post-unification.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

Probably whatever they're going to have to replace the IC/US titles post-unification.

Why wouldn't they just keep the IC belt? I would've assumed it was just a slightly revamped WWE belt for the unified world title, likely with the new logo on it too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I haven't listened to Austin's podcast yet but Dave Millican rules and his somewhat recent podcast on Observer Radio was really interesting.

Hey, Renee Young is now hosting a "30 Years of Wrestlemania" podcast for Podcast One. First guest is HBK. Given that Renee Young owns I'm guessing it will be good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Renee is basically Rob Naylor, except she's a lady. And I absolutely mean that as a compliment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Renee is basically Rob Naylor, except she's a lady. And I absolutely mean that as a compliment.

I really hope they give her the chance to do play-by-play on a major show, even if it's only on Smackdown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

major show, ... Smackdown.
:confused:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nobody is Rob Naylor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Who is Rob Naylor? Isn't he one of the creators of Red Dwarf?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I meant compared to NXT or Superstars or Impact!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jerusalem posted:

Who is Rob Naylor? Isn't he one of the creators of Red Dwarf?

Pro Wrestling megafan. Started commentating for some indies and WWE hired him to help with developmental/creative. Pretty sure he is the huge reason WWE went on a binge of signing so much popular indy talent.

Apparently everyone in the company loved him and when he was released they all talked about how rad he was. I believe in an interview he talked about how he would love to go back and he really doesn't have any idea why he was released. I think HHH even publicly stated he'd be willing to bring him back whenever?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 11, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Pro Wrestling megafan. Started commentating for some indies and WWE hired him to help with developmental/creative. Pretty sure he is the reason WWE went on a binge of signing so much popular indy talent.

Apparently everyone in the company loved him and when he was released they all talked about how rad he was. No idea why he was released.

It sure sounded like he was released for being a mark.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Apparently Triple H doesn't like Naylor as much as it seemed on twitter. I don't know if there's anything more to it, but guys who are tight with management are usually protected from downsizing and receive callbacks when applying for a new job.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

Pro Wrestling megafan. Started commentating for some indies and WWE hired him to help with developmental/creative. Pretty sure he is the huge reason WWE went on a binge of signing so much popular indy talent.

Apparently everyone in the company loved him and when he was released they all talked about how rad he was. I believe in an interview he talked about how he would love to go back and he really doesn't have any idea why he was released. I think HHH even publicly stated he'd be willing to bring him back whenever?

Not to be all :tinfoil: HHH GRAVEYARD :tinfoil: but if HHH wants developmental to produce good big wrestlers and there's a popular voice calling for the hiring of smaller, proven indy talent, removing someone with different goals than yours from that selection process while maintaining professionalism would be far from the worst way to handle it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone actually listen to my show?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Does anyone actually listen to my show?
Eh you probably get more listeners than the other shows I listen to, like the The Darkmatch which is one of the more sad IWC smark podcasts I've listened to. http://darkmatch.podomatic.com/entry/2014-01-28T13_24_26-08_00

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

__

Wrestlehut Pisscast Episode 24: Girlbye on Go

Raw, New Japan's strong contender for MOTY, games, poo poo they gave away on tv for free, Percy Pringle's album, YOUR questions, and technical difficulties!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y5l9ic8dgscgauz/024+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

As much as we love answering our three friends questions every week we want to hear from more of you! Send us whatever on twitter @oatgan, @manflurry, and @karminesa

Check us out on iTunes or your RSS reader of choice!

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 12, 2014

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

__

Wrestlehut Pisscast Episode 24: Girlbye on Go

Raw, New Japan's strong contender for MOTY, games, poo poo they gave away on tv for free, Percy Pringle's album, YOUR questions, and technical difficulties!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y5l9ic8dgscgauz/024+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

As much as we love answering our three friends questions every week we want to hear from more of you! Send us whatever on twitter @oatgan, @manflurry, and @karminesa

Check us out on iTunes or your RSS reader of choice!

Oh my god, that opening

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

http://shootcast.org/wwe-monday-night-raw-for-02-10-14/

Technical difficulties, so get it before it's gone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

It sure sounded like he was released for being a mark.

:lol:

If that was the case they wouldn't have anyone in creative.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

At least we'd be rid of Triple H and Stephanie's reign in that department.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

Isn't creative basically just failed sitcom writers at this point?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah I was under the impression that they fished to see if the people knew anything about wrestling when they interviewed them, and gave preferential treatment to the people who didn't know anything about the product.

I may be wrong though, I just remember hearing that when ex-WWE writers were on podcasts all the time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I was under the impression that they fished to see if the people knew anything about wrestling when they interviewed them, and gave preferential treatment to the people who didn't know anything about the product.

I may be wrong though, I just remember hearing that when ex-WWE writers were on podcasts all the time.

That's pretty much how I always heard it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave's Samoan family tree knowledge was nuts!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I got around to listening to Quackenbush on AoW. Holy poo poo when he says "I didn't go to school to learn how to make I money I went to school to learn how to write" you could just hear the self righteousness oozing from every pore. What a prick

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

triplexpac posted:

I dont know if this applies to writers as well, but Meltzer has said that when they hire management staff, they dont want wrestling fans because the feeling is wrestling fans have preexisting ideas of how the business works, and they want people they can teach how their business works.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Being a wrestling fan doesn't hurt you, they like people who are wrestling fans. They don't like it when wrestling fans think that gives them some special experience or knowledge for working in WWE. They also don't think that working on an indie promotion gives you special experience to work at WWE.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Question for next week's pisscast/this week's Ten Count:

Who should be the guy to end Okada's reign as IWGP Champ?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Steve Austin got an interview with Cena. That should be good.

He asked Kevin Dunn to do one, and he refused.

Also laughed my rear end off at Bryan saying to Dave tonight: "It says here Alaska was at ringside?"

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Batista posted:

Steve Austin got an interview with Cena. That should be good.

drat, I am looking forward to that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Kevin Dunn should have done one because I'm sure Austin wanted a dude to explain how much work goes into the production of a Wrestling event, but no Dunn's gotta be a weird dumb loser.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

But how does it compare to Mighty Bomb Jack?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

HulkaMatt posted:

But how does it compare to Mighty Bomb Jack?
No Thundercats theme.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Well I was going to say they're still all total marks, but I will say that a number of them are total marks. Some of them seemed pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

Well I was going to say they're still all total marks, but I will say that a number of them are total marks. Some of them seemed pretty cool.
Realistically, the interview process for new writers should be going for is to find those with an interest and appreciation in the business and weed out the biggest marks whose job performance would be affected by them trying to put themselves and their ideas above the product's well being.

Then again, Triple H and Stephanie have have to remove themselves from that position given their power trips.

• Locked thread