Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

there was always the one good kick in the team who would always end up at full back just cos he could hit targets from kickouts regardless of how good a defender he actually was.

This was me. I was a slow runner, easily outbodied in any contest and couldn't win my own ball. But if I had a set kick I could hit a leading target on the chest. The u/18 team I played for didn't win a single game in the 2 years I played for them and we lost to the better teams by 150-200 points every time, so I got to take a lot of kick ins. It sounds miserable but it was actually a ton of fun just playing footy with my mates, getting flogged every week and under no pressure to be any good. Stopped playing after junior footy because gently caress being a complete sack of poo poo player in the seniors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
St Kilda launched their Anzac day guernsey:

As a commemorative/one-off guernsey I think it's pretty nice

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Looks like he's wearing a white tie.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

davmo1 posted:

Any predictions on final score?

About 11,000 to lol. Lions are not even a reserves team tonight.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
These lions are less challenging than witches hats. A bit disappointing

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
the only time i ever turned in a good game during junior footy was when i was 14 and playing against the club which was mostly made up of the kids i was going to high school with and i somehow got put onto back flank then managed to kick the ball backwards in the first quarter. i was so pissed off at myself i hit every clearance as hard as i could for the rest of the game and got BOG that game. the next match i got named back pocket.

junior footy, everyone

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Stumbletron posted:

are they going to do a haka before the match?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

No Buddy, No Hawthorn.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

snaeksikn posted:

are they going to do a haka before the match?

God I hope so, even for the Saints that would be a special kind of trainwreck

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

snaeksikn posted:

the only time i ever turned in a good game during junior footy was when i was 14 and playing against the club which was mostly made up of the kids i was going to high school with and i somehow got put onto back flank then managed to kick the ball backwards in the first quarter. i was so pissed off at myself i hit every clearance as hard as i could for the rest of the game and got BOG that game. the next match i got named back pocket.

junior footy, everyone

I won best player for my U12s side which came with a prestigious $20 maccas voucher. I was the inside mid who couldn't run for poo poo but dove on everything.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is this wanganeen related to gavin?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Distantly.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

I won best player for my U12s side which came with a prestigious $20 maccas voucher. I was the inside mid who couldn't run for poo poo but dove on everything.

i only ever got a mars bar :\

also when i was playing 9's the other year we had a kid who was like 13 playing for us who completely tore it up as an inside mid. it was hilarious given that there was myself and maybe 2 or 3 other players who could reliably take marks/hit targets in the entire other team, but we had this kid who was maybe 5'5 and 40kg who would just dominate nearly every clearance. pretty much every other player in the side had clearly never played junior footy nevermind any junior sport at all.

ive always been jealous of people who are good in close, ive always been useless at it. which probably explains why i was always shithouse at basketball. im okay-ish as a forward on the lead or defending as im relatively quick as a guy whos 6'2 and close to 100kg but yeah the midfield has always been beyond me.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
My memory of junior footy was winning 5 flags in 6 years between under 14's and under 18's and hence not learning the value of a premiership.

Played one year of senior footy, the highlight of which was tagging Brent Grgic for 5 minutes, during which time he did not register a possession.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Have Brisbane got a bunch of injuries or did they choose to blood a bunch of new players by getting them absolutely loving massacred?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
First 'big boy mcevoy' for the year dropped.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Have Brisbane got a bunch of injuries or did they choose to blood a bunch of new players by getting them absolutely loving massacred?

Yeah only like 2 regulars I think... Still

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
AFL lists only Brown, Gardiner and Paine.

Scored 0.2 across the 2nd and 3rd quarters...

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Barry Hall the boundary rider getting very close to punching out some guys in the front row who keep annoying him!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
"I'd like to see that."

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Man what is AFL 9's?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shmoses posted:

Man what is AFL 9's?

9 a side touch footy on a reduced size field where if you drop a mark the opposition gets a free kick.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

9 a side touch footy on a reduced size field where if you drop a mark the opposition gets a free kick.
I see. Where can you play this in Melbourne?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
http://afl9s.com.au/venues/vic/

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Man what is AFL 9's?

afl played with 9 players each side(3 in def, mid, and fwd) over a 100m pitch. everyone needs to start in their zone but can go wherever after ballup, only fwds can kick goals and then only within fwd zone, touch rules (you get 2 secs with no prior), automatic turnovers on every pass by foot or hand. other than that its basically footy.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

snaeksikn posted:

afl played with 9 players each side(3 in def, mid, and fwd) over a 100m pitch. everyone needs to start in their zone but can go wherever after ballup, only fwds can kick goals and then only within fwd zone, touch rules (you get 2 secs with no prior), automatic turnovers on every pass by foot or hand. other than that its basically footy.

From watching some of the games at half time at the footy, it also looks like you can't kick over a zone? Like someone in the back zone can't just bomb it all the way over the mid zone into the forward, someone has to take possession in the middle before moving it forward?

So what if you don't have a team, and it's just you and you'd like to go along and be part of a team? I could only find info on joining as a group, I think.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

From watching some of the games at half time at the footy, it also looks like you can't kick over a zone? Like someone in the back zone can't just bomb it all the way over the mid zone into the forward, someone has to take possession in the middle before moving it forward?

So what if you don't have a team, and it's just you and you'd like to go along and be part of a team? I could only find info on joining as a group, I think.

yeah no big 50m bombs, cant kick it from backline to foward zone. the game rewards short bullet passes. the main thing thats different is playing in defence, in that if a hit up pass to a fwd thats going to miss and youre defending you are better off letting it pass through your hands than trying to go the grab cos you get the free kick anyway. the only loose grabs are in centre clearances.

there should be coordinators listed for each area, email them and ask about teams looking for extra players. i think a season is about 900 bucks for 10 games or so, so you can generally play casually for ~10 bucks each game depending on the team and how many games you play.

its a good game and i highly recommend it to anyone who likes kicking the footy around but isnt so keen on running 20 laps every training session only to get shirtfronted 10 minutes in by some fat bogan in c-grade in their first grade.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I smell a team of goons.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

its a good game and i highly recommend it to anyone who likes kicking the footy around but isnt so keen on running 20 laps every training session only to get shirtfronted 10 minutes in by some fat bogan in c-grade in their first grade.

hahahaha I love this. So accurate.

I played mixed afl 9s, so you couldn't intercept girls going for a mark etc. We happened to play against a team of really good footballers and their girlfriends, we lost like 160-9 (girls get 9 points for a goal) but it was enjoyable I guess!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Cloud the Cat posted:

hahahaha I love this. So accurate.

I played mixed afl 9s, so you couldn't intercept girls going for a mark etc. We happened to play against a team of really good footballers and their girlfriends, we lost like 160-9 (girls get 9 points for a goal) but it was enjoyable I guess!

This reverse sexism is out of control :redditsay:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yay, AFL 9s chat!

I played mixed 9s out of Moorabbin Oval last year. There wasn't enough numbers this year so the merged it with the Fawkner Park/South Yarra mixed comp. I couldn't handle the extra commute but my mates still played.

Defending in that game loving sucks. I reckon it would be a much better game with a couple of minor rule tweaks (being able to spoil as the main one) but it's still enjoyable. It really does suck if you have an awful player on your team though. We have a 5 foot tall fat chick that can hardly run that just stands in the forward line that you need to be "insert silky skills player name here" to have any chance of getting it to her.

The game really rewards creating overlap. If you can get two fit runners side by side they can just run down the field handballing to each other constantly creating 2-1 situations the whole way until a defender is forced to leave their man to help which allows them to kick over the top to someone wide open. It really sucks when you are on the receiving end of that.

If you excel at circle work in normal footy training, this is the game for you.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Stumbletron posted:

I'm not even a supporter and i'd buy that

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

xcore posted:

circle work

Put a trigger warning in next time

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

The Job Creators posted:

My memory of junior footy was winning 5 flags in 6 years between under 14's and under 18's and hence not learning the value of a premiership.

Played one year of senior footy, the highlight of which was tagging Brent Grgic for 5 minutes, during which time he did not register a possession.

I went from playing in a team with a bunch of really bad players with like, three good players.. where we would carry the team- to playing state rep football with the East Coast Eagles in Sydney. Was pretty great. Went from consistant losses to premierships everywhere!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

xcore posted:

Yay, AFL 9s chat!

I played mixed 9s out of Moorabbin Oval last year. There wasn't enough numbers this year so the merged it with the Fawkner Park/South Yarra mixed comp. I couldn't handle the extra commute but my mates still played.

Defending in that game loving sucks. I reckon it would be a much better game with a couple of minor rule tweaks (being able to spoil as the main one) but it's still enjoyable. It really does suck if you have an awful player on your team though. We have a 5 foot tall fat chick that can hardly run that just stands in the forward line that you need to be "insert silky skills player name here" to have any chance of getting it to her.

The game really rewards creating overlap. If you can get two fit runners side by side they can just run down the field handballing to each other constantly creating 2-1 situations the whole way until a defender is forced to leave their man to help which allows them to kick over the top to someone wide open. It really sucks when you are on the receiving end of that.

If you excel at circle work in normal footy training, this is the game for you.

Spoiling would seem to get rid of the low contact appeal though, since you'd doubtless have some dickheads come charging in at a five foot tall woman.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spoiling would seem to get rid of the low contact appeal though, since you'd doubtless have some dickheads come charging in at a five foot tall woman.

This is probably true, but if it's clear you can't make body contact it would make the game better. You can't really legislate against stupidity though, those same dickheads are probably charging into girls with the current rules.

When i say spoil, I also mean things cutting off or intercepting a pass/handball. If you don't take it clean, it's a turnover. Its so frustrating.

Considering it's basically a netball/AFL hybrid I think a loosening of the non-contact aspect won't scare people off. As it stands, mixed netball is a ton rougher. If the same level of contact were allowed, I still thing AFL 9's would be friendlier because by nature it's a lot less confined and the opportunity for niggle/shoving is greatly reduced.

The Job Creators posted:

Put a trigger warning in next time

I don't get it..

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Circle work is the worst training drill in the world and brings up traumatic memories

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It brings up traumatic memories too but mainly of people in utes doing doughnuts.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
So what do you reckon the scoreline tonight will be?

Melbourne is running a team of kids like Brisbane.

100 point thrashing again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Yes

• Locked thread