Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is a pretty common sentiment. I've run into it with multiple Taiwanese people.

It's basically the default characterization of the Hakka. poo poo, they're literally called 'guests,' being a diaspora without a homeland is pretty much the defining feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Volunteering for charities and stuff is fine and encouraged, but like protesting the government crosses some lines.

Even if I think the government is jerks.
You're completely right, to my knowledge. Getting involved in political protests and activities is grounds for having your visa voided. Of course, this is still Taiwan, so it depends on the nature of the protest - if having palefaces around makes Taiwan look better, they'll turn a blind eye to it, like they did for all us crackers who marched in the anti-anti-secession-law march way back when. If you start showing up at anything actually aimed at the ROC government, though, anything more than taking photos and looking like you're just an observer is already pushing your luck.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

My student once said Hakka are the Jews of Taiwan, because they work much harder than normal people and have a lot of money.

It's a well documented fact that Wenzhouren are actually the Jews of China. I first learned this from a dude in Taiwan actually whose ultra-capitalist Wenzhou family escaped the PRC for Taiwan. He thought I was Jewish for whatever reason and thought we could bond over it.

I later had a student who started his letter to NYU, "My family is from Wenzhou. As we all know, Wenzhounese are the Jews of china and love money."

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
We're talking about Taiwan, not China :colbert:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But Taiwan is the Republic of China! 1911 Never forget :qq: :china: :qq: It's not my fault, I just used :china :

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

We're talking about Taiwan, not China :colbert:
Someone should pull Ma Ying-jeou aside and let him know.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Republic of China????

Has any leader of Taiwan not been a mainlander who moved over post-1949/descended from relatively recently displaced mainlanders? This is a serious question I just became curious about.

Also apparently the saying is 东方的犹太人 so that'd include taiwan and japan and all sorts of places!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lee Teng-hui was famously the first born-and-bred Taiwanese leader, to the point that he was actually born and grew up in Japanese Taiwan. Chen Shui-bian is also a total benshengren.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 11, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

^well if you're gonna edit your post then we'll just end up posting the same information...

Umm, yeah, Lee Teng-Hui was definitely not a mainlander. Dude probably speaks Japanese better than he does Mandarin.
LTH had some bad points but I kinda love him, he's like the grumpy old Taiwanese grandpa I never had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6BhvR8MRM

Chen Shui-Bian is from Tainan and also a "native" Taiwanese.

Most of the bigwigs of the KMT are waishengren/1949ers, yeah, but not all; virtually all of the DPP are not.

So that's 2 of 5 presidents in the modern era, and 2 of 3 of the presidents elected democratically.

VVV gently caress Yen Chia-Kan, he was just a temporary president and shouldn't count. Do they count that person who was president for 1 day when listing the 44 US presidents?

hitension fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 11, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

So that's 2 of 5 presidents in the modern era, and 2 of 3 of the presidents elected democratically.
Six presidents. CKS, Yen Chia-kan, Chiang Ching-kuo, Lee, Chen, Ma.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-26129171

Hopefully, they'll just lock these two guys in the room with no titles, no flags, no windows, and a victor will emerge.

Same story in traditional , for thems of you that can read it (I can't but, it'd be nice to be able to at some point.)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

My student once said Hakka are the Jews of Taiwan, because they work much harder than normal people and have a lot of money.

That's odd. I was in Taipei for Hanukkah this year and there wasn't a single Hakka at the temple. Not even at the rabbi's birthday party! :mad:

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
While y'all are being an amazing source of info on work related stuff for me in my first year, I have a follow up question about taxes.

I'm from the states where they have to have given you your tax papers by now - required by the end of February. When I asked my boss about them, she says the accountant told her that since I was here less than 180 days last year I get nothing back. Confirm/deny? Seems unfair, but then life often is.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

While y'all are being an amazing source of info on work related stuff for me in my first year, I have a follow up question about taxes.

I'm from the states where they have to have given you your tax papers by now - required by the end of February. When I asked my boss about them, she says the accountant told her that since I was here less than 180 days last year I get nothing back. Confirm/deny? Seems unfair, but then life often is.
If you mean, "I worked in Taiwan less than 180 days, do I get nothing back?", then yes, you get to pay the max tax rate* and get nothing back. Good times!

*short of being a kabillionaire or whatever I think

E: also I think it's actually 185 days or whatever half a year is

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 11, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bloodnose posted:

That's odd. I was in Taipei for Hanukkah this year and there wasn't a single Hakka at the temple. Not even at the rabbi's birthday party! :mad:

Its ok, most Jews don't go to temple either. I know I didn't.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

So I met an elementary school teacher tonight and learned more about the 台語 classes. Apparently it is officially referred to as 閩南語 (Southern Min) and there are also classes in 客語 (Hakka); the required languages are Mandarin, English + one more where that other language could be either. Also, in the case of the school where she teaches, there is one student whose mother is Vietnamese, so they also offer a Vietnamese class.

url posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-26129171

Hopefully, they'll just lock these two guys in the room with no titles, no flags, no windows, and a victor will emerge.

Good article, thanks

hitension fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 11, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So after hearing that Hakka are called "guests" in Chinese and seeing their language literally written as "guest language", I'm curious what the etymology of 台客 is.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

The 客 in 台客 Taike should have nothing to do with 客家人(Hakka) ...
I looked over the Wiki article on 台客, but it doesn't specify why 客 is used; I can't think of similar words either.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8F%B0%E5%AE%A2#.E6.97.A9.E6.9C.9F.E6.AD.B7.E5.8F.B2
Basically the 外省人(descendants of 1949ers) living in 眷村(military dependent villages/basically ghettos themselves) came up with this derogatory word to make fun of stereotypically "low class Taiwanese" people wearing flip-flops and chewing betel nut and whatnot as they do. It wasn't mainstream until 小S("Dee Hsu", apparently) started to use it in the 1990s. By now it is somewhat reclaimed as shown by some songs like this one but I would generally avoid using that word as a foreigner considering the history and whatnot.

Hakka people are literally called guest people on purpose and there is an English wiki so you have no excuse for not knowing their anthropological background :eng101:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_people#Origins.2C_migrations_and_group_identification

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And here I was hoping it was a lumping together of those dirty Taiwanese and Hakka people that the KMT were so much better than.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

2/28 always forget.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the aboriginal kids learn their mother tongue in elementary schools in their villages. No Taiwanese spoken up there. The government's done a complete 180 from the old days and is actively promoting the preservation of everyone's mother tongue. Taiwanese get 閩南話, Hakka get 客家話, Seediq get Seediq話, and Amis get Amis話, 等等. It's a pretty awesome initiative.

I never got the impression that Hakka were seen by other Taiwanese as being "the rich ones" so much as being a big ole bunch of 小氣鬼, but whatever. Anytime I disagree with the consensus of the handful of foreigners that actively post here, I get told that, no, the way you experience Taiwan up in Taipei is the way Taiwan is, end of story. If you say that Taiwanese see Hakka as the rich ones, then that is the truth (as you see it). So whatever, please to enjoy your Taiwan.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Your post started off informative and pretty normal, why did you have to add that whole ending part with the persecution complex thing? No one's out to get you, it's just you post things like, well, that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Seriously, all you had to say was the first part and no one would have jumped down your throat. No one here is claiming to be an expert on Taiwanese ethnic groups and everyone is posting anecdotal experiences. It's the latter part of your post that gets everyone to poo poo down your throat every time you pop up because it's like you just can't help yourself.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Your post started off informative and pretty normal, why did you have to add that whole ending part with the persecution complex thing? No one's out to get you, it's just you post things like, well, that.

Because then it's no fun? :twisted:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Despite you being a jackass, that's pretty much exactly what my student was saying. Hakka work extra hard and are stingy, so they have lots of money.

Like Scrooge McDuck. Rich because they know how to pinch an NT until CKS's hair grows back.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Despite you being a jackass, that's pretty much exactly what my student was saying. Hakka work extra hard and are stingy, so they have lots of money.

Like Scrooge McDuck. Rich because they know how to pinch an NT until CKS's hair grows back.

Yep. The stingy stereotype fits with the Hakka = Jew analogy, but I don't think the analogy extends to Hakka controlling banks and the media or all being lawyers and doctors as in the Jew stereotype. Just wanted to clarify the Taiwanese prejudice. It's more about stingy than rich re: Jew analogy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the aboriginal kids learn their mother tongue in elementary schools in their villages. No Taiwanese spoken up there. The government's done a complete 180 from the old days and is actively promoting the preservation of everyone's mother tongue. Taiwanese get 閩南話, Hakka get 客家話, Seediq get Seediq話, and Amis get Amis話, 等等. It's a pretty awesome initiative.
I think "actively promoting" is giving it a little too much credit. It remains to be seen how genuine or thorough those efforts will turn out to be. I do have to give credit for the 原民會's embracing the Kohanga Reo system of immersive early childhood mother-tongue education though. But it's still super hard to find literature of any sort in even the most spoken Formosan languages, including any decent learning materials, and there's a lot of room for the effort to improve. It's a drat sight better than it used to be, but it's hardly a complete 180. Maybe closer to like a 135. There's nothing on par with the support Hakka gets as a minority language though. That could in part be because there are only two Hakka dialects in Taiwan (IIRC), unlike the 14+ Aboriginal languages in eight(ish) families. I am definitely eager to see where all this goes, though, and really need to get around to visiting one of the 語言巢 some time.

Also the Aboriginal tribes don't get 話, they get 語, which is arguably better in terms of what it connotes, even if efforts to teach orthographies seem to be middling at best judging by the results.

Pandemonium posted:

I never got the impression that Hakka were seen by other Taiwanese as being "the rich ones" so much as being a big ole bunch of 小氣鬼, but whatever.
I don't think anyone said that they were "the rich ones", just that they're seen as the Jews of Taiwan and as being hard working tightwads.

quote:

Anytime I disagree with the consensus of the handful of foreigners that actively post here, I get told that, no, the way you experience Taiwan up in Taipei is the way Taiwan is, end of story.
No, anytime you disagree with the consensus here, you get jumped on for also being a shithead about it.

Pandemonium posted:

Yep. The stingy stereotype fits with the Hakka = Jew analogy, but I don't think the analogy extends to Hakka controlling banks and the media or all being lawyers and doctors as in the Jew stereotype. Just wanted to clarify the Taiwanese prejudice. It's more about stingy than rich re: Jew analogy.
Also the "diaspora without a homeland" (except that now Israel exists). I don't think anyone was confused about the analogy in here, but then again it never hurts to make sure it's clear for newcomers.

e: On the Aboriginal languages thing, any idea if people can use Aboriginal languages, like, in the Yuan or whatever?

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 13, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be in Taipei Saturday for 15 days. Gonna eat all your food and possibly drink all your beer. Staying at JV's Hostel and will have a smart phone on me.

Planning on possibly getting some aquarium plants if I can find them. Particularly I've checked pretty much everywhere in Korea for Purple bamboo. Gonna see if any places in Taipei have it. Any of you keep aquariums, or know where I should look?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't keep any kind of aquarium or anything, but there are a ton of aquariumy stores along the road that runs along the front of Songshan Airport IIRC, they might be a good place to start.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Semi-related, but I love how "stores of the same type" all congregate in one place in Taipei. This has culminated in a road in Wanhua where all of the shops sell exotic birds.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Indigenous chat: by complete coincidence I was just handed a 2,300-word "advertorial" for the Council of Indigenous People to edit. I'll let you know if it clarifies anything.

Edit: this was written by one of the best writers here but instead of saying shaman he said wizard, which I really wish I could keep in.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 13, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Eifert Posting posted:

Gonna be in Taipei Saturday for 15 days. Gonna eat all your food and possibly drink all your beer. Staying at JV's Hostel and will have a smart phone on me.

Planning on possibly getting some aquarium plants if I can find them. Particularly I've checked pretty much everywhere in Korea for Purple bamboo. Gonna see if any places in Taipei have it. Any of you keep aquariums, or know where I should look?
Don't get hosed by customs!

Here's the place TetsuoTW was talking about, I used to pass by there all the time: http://goo.gl/maps/FcJGF

Atlas Hugged posted:

Semi-related, but I love how "stores of the same type" all congregate in one place in Taipei. This has culminated in a road in Wanhua where all of the shops sell exotic birds.
I always found it weirdtresting how it doesn't seem to make sense(your shop won't stand out) but it kinda does(it's where people will go to get whatever that thing is).

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

It's a smart idea to put similar stores next to each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILgxeNBK_8
Yeahh, all those Econ classes are coming in handy for these internet arguments.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about economics, but it seems like that only works for no-name shops and not for franchises. Sticking a Burger King next to a McDonald's in Taiwan is just asking to go out of business.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

And yet two 7-11s and a Family Mart on the same block all seem to do just fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's baffling.

I think it all has to do with vertical housing and how absolutely integral convenience stores are to society. Why go to THAT 7-11 when I can go to THIS 7-11.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I have 3 Family Marts on the street by my place, all within eyeshot of each other. The single 7-11 across from one of them is still better than all of them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Anybody interested in catching some pingxi sky lanterns tomorrow night?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Anybody interested in catching some pingxi sky lanterns tomorrow night?

Yes, let's release some goon lanterns.
....___
../......\
./.........\
(.低稅萬歲)
.\........./
..\____/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Hey invaluable informants. It's time for Baby's First Scooter. I know almost nothing about them and don't want to buy blind. I'm 5'11" and weigh a buck sixty five, so I don't reckon I need anything small. I'm trying to be able to take it up mountains on the weekends or on road trips to beaches, so maybe 150cc is better? But this is my first scooter (lots of bicycle and car experience but automatic not manual transmissions and no motorcycle experience) and I hear lighter bikes are better for the hard part of the test (which one person tells me is going like 30 without putting your feet down, and another says is driving between some narrowly placed poles). So my question is, what sort of scooter (beyond the obvious "second hand") do you reckon I'd need? Actually, I'll take any and all scooter advice, not just what kind but test tips, whatever you got.

Edit: except pandemonium who will just tell me scooters are terrible and scooter drivers are terrible and I'm terrible for trying to drive one.