Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

chutwig posted:

And apparently we all have to pay for gas inside before we start to fill up, even though I've never done that ever?

Galler posted:

I've run into a few prepay only places/pumps
I can't even remember when I saw a gas station that wasn't prepay. What loving decade/part of the country are you living in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EvilMoFo posted:

I can't even remember when I saw a gas station that wasn't prepay. What loving decade/part of the country are you living in?

Where do you live? I hardly ever see them in North Carolina. I mean there is an option to do so with cash, but there's no requirement to do so.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

pik_d posted:

Where do you live? I hardly ever see them in North Carolina. I mean there is an option to do so with cash, but there's no requirement to do so.

I live in North Carolina, and the only gas station I know of that isn't pre-pay only is the one that I have a tab at because my family has been getting gas there since before cars were a thing.

Which is awesome. I drive up, gas up, drive off, the guy at the counter knows my car. Get a hand written bill for the full tab once a month, which I pay for the next time I get gas.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ApathyGifted posted:

I live in North Carolina, and the only gas station I know of that isn't pre-pay only is the one that I have a tab at because my family has been getting gas there since before cars were a thing.

Which is awesome. I drive up, gas up, drive off, the guy at the counter knows my car. Get a hand written bill for the full tab once a month, which I pay for the next time I get gas.

Your sample size seems rather suspect if that's it. I've been around our state plenty and cannot remember the last time I had to pre-pay.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

angryhampster posted:

It's apparently more common in the northeast. Not sure where you're located.

I'm in Boston. If people near me do this then :negative:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

pik_d posted:

California, SF bay area but I do travel around the state a few times a year, I also go to Nevada a couple times a year.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I think maybe there's confusion here between "places that force you to prepay" and "places that force you to prepay WITH CASH, ie no credit-card-at-pump option." Does anyone disagree that practically all US gas stations are the former and almost no US gas stations are the latter?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Propaniac posted:

I think maybe there's confusion here between "places that force you to prepay" and "places that force you to prepay WITH CASH, ie no credit-card-at-pump option." Does anyone disagree that practically all US gas stations are the former and almost no US gas stations are the latter?

Ah, I guess I got caught out by Clarkson making the point that you don't know how much you want when you pre-pay in America. That would, of course, be classic Clarkson to be completely making up bullshit to make a "point".

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Pretty much everywhere in the Midwest you can just pump your gas, then go in to pay for it with cash. You can use your credit card at the pump if you want, and many do, but it's not required.

Like Clarkson says, it's stupid to prepay with cash because you don't know the precise value to fill your tank. Evidently California had a bunch of people stealing gas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vote_no posted:

Pretty much everywhere in the Midwest you can just pump your gas, then go in to pay for it with cash. You can use your credit card at the pump if you want, and many do, but it's not required.

Most pumps that I've used in the last 3-4 years won't work unless you put your card in first. Like, it won't even allow you to select your fuel type until the card is approved.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Don't forget that since most (all?) credit card readers on gas pumps now require you to enter a zip code for verification, you can't use one if you don't live in the US. Only found that out last weekend from a friend who was on a road trip with a Canadian.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

vote_no posted:

Like Clarkson says, it's stupid to prepay with cash because you don't know the precise value to fill your tank.

Cashiers have this uncanny ability to do something they call making change.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Right, so we're agreed then that somewhere IN AMERICA they put strawberries on unusual things just as Clarkson said
and somewhere IN AMERICA you have to pre-pay (optionally with cash) for fuel, just as Clarkson said.

Can we move on now?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Cashiers have this uncanny ability to do something they call making change.

Are you misunderstanding his post, or are you suggesting that you go and prepay, say, $50, and then your tank only fits $45 of gas, then go ask the cashier for $5 back? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that, but then again I also always pay with credit cards so it's never been a problem for me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cat Hatter posted:

Don't forget that since most (all?) credit card readers on gas pumps now require you to enter a zip code for verification, you can't use one if you don't live in the US. Only found that out last weekend from a friend who was on a road trip with a Canadian.

Some here let you debit the charge but that requires them to put a 24 hour hold on $60 or so so you're out $120 until the hold clears if you buy $60 worth of gas.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Steve French posted:

Are you misunderstanding his post, or are you suggesting that you go and prepay, say, $50, and then your tank only fits $45 of gas, then go ask the cashier for $5 back? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that, but then again I also always pay with credit cards so it's never been a problem for me.

That's exactly what happens if the pump shuts off before you reach your pre pay amount.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Cat Hatter posted:

What the gently caress. Is this really a thing? This is going to make visiting the US shittier

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A workmate told me he had to pre-pay for fuel when driving in the US, so yeah, it's a real thing in at least some places.

The credit cars thing with wanting a zip code sounds like an arse to have to do all the time though. Guess on balance it's really no worse than chip and pin.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I did a little googling and apparently you can strip out the letters of a Canadian postal code to leave three numbers, then add two zeroes. So if your post code is D4S 7I8, you can enter 47800 for your ZIP code.

I'm in the US this week and will need to fill up on Friday, so I'll test it out.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

8ender posted:

What the gently caress. Is this really a thing? This is going to make visiting the US shittier

This applies to pay-at-the-pump credit card readers. If you go inside to the cashier you'll be able to pay by credit card without the zip code thing (assuming your foreign card works in the US in general).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You can always just go inside and pay with a credit card. They won't ask for your zip code there and you can help stimulate the local economy with some coffee or a Cheezy Jalapeno Rollup.

edit - well poo poo murphle

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good I'm glad there's an entire page about paying for petrol.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Good I'm glad there's an entire page about paying for petrol.

Still, could be worse.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I wonder how much money Loki made by shoehorning in that phrase about "Jaguar becoming a part of his life" over the past few years or whatever.

Steve French posted:

are you suggesting that you go and prepay, say, $50, and then your tank only fits $45 of gas, then go ask the cashier for $5 back? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that, but then again I also always pay with credit cards so it's never been a problem for me.

Yeah, this is kind of how things worked when you had to pre-pay before credit card readers became ubiquitous.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah, this is kind of how things worked when you had to pre-pay before credit card readers became ubiquitous.

Good to know. Where I grew up (upstate NY), you'd just pay cash after filling up. In CA now, where it seems everything is prepay.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or you would go to the guy and say "I'll have $20 worth of unleaded" and fill up until the pump said that amount. Time was you didn't just pump till it shut off automatically.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Or you would go to the guy and say "I'll have $20 worth of unleaded" and fill up until the pump said that amount. Time was you didn't just pump till it shut off automatically.

That depended on location. If you were in an area with rust issues, you'd try to keep your tank as full as possible so that it wouldn't rot on you.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Where I live in the upper midwest I can just fill up my gas tank at the pumps and then walk in and pay.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I live in NJ where the government has decided we are too incompetent to pump fuel, so I just hand my credit card out the window to the person who operates the pump for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in the states last fall, I filled up in Florida, New Jersey probably what was Pennsylvania. All required pre-pay of some sort, and I had to go talk to the clerks because of my moon euro-card. Except once in Orlando where I was in a rush to the airport so just punched in some combination of zeros and my post code until the card was accept; don't recall ever being charged for that :shrug:. In Jersey some guy filled it up for me, just like in Russia!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Gasoline and whores are the only things I prepay for in America.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Can some one explain in great detail how credit cards work? As well as how gas pumps work. Also how do you pay for gas using a credit card?

I'm not sure where these states that everyone is talking about so can you provide a map? Also a run down of all the laws governing gas, gas stations, pumps and credits cards would be nice.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

AvesPKS posted:

I wonder how much money Loki made by shoehorning in that phrase about "Jaguar becoming a part of his life" over the past few years or whatever.

I thought he just meant that Jaguar has paid him a lot of money to be in the ad campaigns. I have no idea wtf he does other than play Loki and make Jaguar ads.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The zip code thing is just so they can get a feel for where most of their customers are coming from. It's not a serious issue like y'all are making it out to be and you can just put fake numbers in there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Daric posted:

The zip code thing is just so they can get a feel for where most of their customers are coming from. It's not a serious issue like y'all are making it out to be and you can just put fake numbers in there.

I've been denied because I changed my billing address and used my old zip code.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah, the zip code is to prevent people from running stolen cards.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Let's discuss wifi at airports

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Daric posted:

If you do this you're probably causing the merchant transactions to incur higher fee percentages due to lower confidence matches, and eventually they'll have to put up signs saying "Minimum credit card order $10" and so on. To say nothing of the possibility of outright rejections.

But cool tip I guess

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Daric posted:

Think of the credit card companies, Daric. How will they feed their families if you put in the wrong digits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Data Graham posted:

To say nothing of the possibility of outright rejections.

Is there a single gas station in the US that doesn't decline the card if your billing zip doesn't match? Because I sure haven't seen one.