Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Welp its October, time to close up the soda factory cause I feel my SO SAD coming on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Welp its October, time to close up the soda factory cause I feel my SO SAD coming on.

And unlike a lamp, you can't repurpose bottling machines for G.R.O.-R.A.D.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Better keep taking money though, after all, It's Not Fraud If You Got Depression (tm)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Achewood is a fun webcomic that makes me laugh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah we are a pretty terrible audience.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What is the cookbook fiasco?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

What is the cookbook fiasco?

Onstad accepted preorders for the second cookbook, then never produced the cookbook, and did not give the money back.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Silentman0 posted:

Achewood is a fun webcomic that makes me laugh.

That took courage. I love you. ;)

Just like all fandoms, some of you get way too wrapped up in the whole thing and become obsessive to the point of critiquing the creator's personal life. It is pretty weird.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Onstad accepted preorders for the second cookbook, then never produced the cookbook, and did not give the money back.

Dang, that is lovely. He should be doing something about that rather than chasing an Achewood animated series.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, it was pretty lovely. He was suffering crippling depression (and possibly still is). Not that that's an excuse, just an explanation.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

At the very least, I comprehend why the idea of him starting a niche business is met with such severe skepticism. The dude appears to be better off working a job than chasing independance.

But who knows, maybe he learned something. It's not apparent though.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Last April
I'm sure someone dumb is still holding their breath on that.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He did put his previous books up for download on the honor system, but probably anyone who prepaid for cookbook 2 already had the first one.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Do we know how many people preordered the second cookbook?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you're on Facebook and not in the Achewood group you might reconsider at least one of your life choices.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Satorr posted:

The Minnesota Timeline

The Minnesota Timelime.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Chris Onstad is Really Good and Did Nothing Wrong

Chris Onstad did a Bad Thing but he's also got some serious issues and "tough poo poo suck it up and move on" isn't really an option for everyone, particularly dudes wiht the depression.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know, I have depression too, and I managed never to commit fraud.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm all for criticizing Onstad for the cookbook fiasco. He deserves it. But you folks that are talking poo poo about him personally are loving creepy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

You know, I have depression too, and I managed never to commit fraud.

Good thing I'm not blaming the cookbook fiasco on his depression then. I'm saying that WoodrowSkillson saying "Tough poo poo, suck it up" is kinda lovely. Dude literally called having depression "being a whiny baby".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Good thing I'm not blaming the cookbook fiasco on his depression then. I'm saying that WoodrowSkillson saying "Tough poo poo, suck it up" is kinda lovely. Dude literally called having depression "being a whiny baby".

No, I said Onstad being a whiny baby is why his career prospects have failed. Instead of doing things the right way, or learning how to do them the right way, he hosed up and cried about it in interviews.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No, I said Onstad being a whiny baby is why his career prospects have failed. Instead of doing things the right way, or learning how to do them the right way, he hosed up and cried about it in interviews.

And there's you referring to depression as "being a whiny baby" again, which is kinda lovely man.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

RZApublican posted:

This post will almost certainly find it's way into Achewood verbatim about three months from now, probably spoken by Roast Beef.

One product. Roast Beef 'flavored' soda. It is just plain seltzer, but it lets out a sigh when you open the bottle.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

glug posted:

One product. Roast Beef 'flavored' soda. It is just plain seltzer, but it lets out a sigh when you open the bottle.

They tried making Todd flavored soda, but the health department shut that down real quick.

The only reason people bought the Lyle soda was to have something that the police would wrestle them for.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The dude had Depression bad enough to ruin his merch business, his online comic, and his marriage. I'm gonna guess it got worse for him than it ever did for me, and I had it bad.

That said, depression is a condition, not an excuse, and taking the money for the cookbook without providing a product was fraud. His inability to produce anything on a schedule is well known. This is not a business history that bodes well for the future, unless literally all he's doing is lending his name and maybe some flavor input to someone else's running soda bottling and distribution business.

All that is really ancillary, though. I like the cartoon cats and stuffed toys and I want to read more of them, please. Just... make the things and I will look at them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just don't give him money for a promised future product and enjoy whatever he does actually produce. I'll buy some achewater next time I hit Portland, why not.

McGoonagall
Feb 21, 2007

by Ralp

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm all for criticizing Onstad for the cookbook fiasco. He deserves it. But you folks that are talking poo poo about him personally are loving creepy.

He stole money. He stole money because he has Personal Issues. To point out that he stole money is therefore inextricably linked to his Personal Issues.

He creates a comic. A large amount of the subject matter of the comic relates to his Personal Issues. To make any comment on the comic is therefore inextricably linked to his Personal Issues.

Surely?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This business is such a Teodor kind of idea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Achewater (dog penis medicine flavor)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

McGoonagall posted:

He stole money. He stole money because he has Personal Issues. To point out that he stole money is therefore inextricably linked to his Personal Issues.

He creates a comic. A large amount of the subject matter of the comic relates to his Personal Issues. To make any comment on the comic is therefore inextricably linked to his Personal Issues.

Surely?

The thing is, none of us know Onstad's personal issues in anything but the most superficial way. Thinking you know an artist's personal issues based on his work and a few interviews and tweets is textbook creepy-fan behaviour.

(Also I like the idea that spending literally years complaining about being ripped off for $30 or whatever is somehow not "being a big whiny baby".)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Clipperton posted:

The thing is, none of us know Onstad's personal issues in anything but the most superficial way. Thinking you know an artist's personal issues based on his work and a few interviews and tweets is textbook creepy-fan behaviour.

(Also I like the idea that spending literally years complaining about being ripped off for $30 or whatever is somehow not "being a big whiny baby".)

The guy robbed people and then followed it up not by apologizing or even acknowledging the theft, but by asking for more free money. People remember that sort of thing, no matter how many of his fans try to excuse it using Achewood memes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Clipperton posted:

At what point do felony quantities of mail fraud become ok

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Clipperton posted:

It's ok, because they all have depression.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Javid posted:

At what point do felony quantities of mail fraud become ok

I believe that you if you make 10 quotable comic strips or more, the charges are dismissed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO, the right to complain forever about being ripped off in this manner is worth more than the $30 (is that how much it was? I forget) or the cookbook that Onstad still owes me. Also it sounds like he needs the money more than I do. I would probably just spend it on beer or movies.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 13, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Onstad could really use someone to keep him on track who understands his depression.

And probably a lot of medication, but I don't know if that would gently caress his flow up.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I can't really offer as much personal talk about Chris Onstad as most people here, because I don't loving know the guy. Jeez! What HAS Achewood done to you, thread?

As for the cookbook fiasco, it sucks, therefore I'm still waiting for it to be fixed before I buy stuff from him. He needs to make it right no matter how much time has passed, but he's not some antichrist.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

If i thought he was the antichrist I would have just started ignoring him and his work completely. He is a person who has struggled with depression and had made a bunch of really bad choices, while also creating the only webcomic I have ever liked and making me laugh more then nearly any other person. I genuinely want him to succeed and to keep making funny achewood comics.

Since we can never go without achewood quotes, being a fan of Chris Onstad is like watching a neverending film loop of a kid crashing his bike into a telephone pole.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I genuinely want him to succeed and to keep making funny achewood comics.

It's hard to reconcile this sentiment with such previous posts as:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I would be perfectly sympathetic to Onstad if he had not shilled for donations at the end of that message, gently caress him.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He does not rape puppies, he is just a lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money, and who then had the gall to make a post on the net asking for more donations while also saying he is not making much more content.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes we certainly owe Onstad a good discussion thread for his nonexistent comic and store.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh whatever, the rear end in a top hat keeps a tip jar running on his inactive comic to try and suck a few more bucks out of his fans while he still is getting away with stealing from them already. He then has the balls to bitch about his fanbase that has supported his rear end for years. Just because someone puts out partially free content does not give them some magic free pass to act like an rear end in a top hat.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Onstad really needs to just stop, its getting embarrassing how far the strip has fallen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It just sounds like he has no concept of how to run a business, tried to sell 100 shirts instead of 1-3,branched out into glasses and mugs and poo poo way too fast, and then torpedoed his own customer base by blatantly stealing from them.

Wonder if he got caught stealing from his wife and that is why they divorced. Also I'd love to know how a job that kept you at home all day with the kid and available to be with your wife could possibly take up all his time. What a whiner.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I will be astonished if we hear anything else from him in months, let alone the show even having a pilot. Real networks will not just wait for Onstad the next time he has a meltdown and goes into hermit mode.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

His lack of ability to turn Achewood into a lucrative business is his own fault. If the CAD idiot can live off his webcomic, Onstad could have as well. He could have reduced the output a bit back in 2007 to reduce workload and stretch his creativity, competently run his store, and not let his depression completely incapacitate him like millions of other people who struggle with depression manage to do.

People have been begging to throw money at him for the second cookbook, and with all the bullshit self publishing stuff out there, I refuse to think it would be impossible to profit off that. Between his comic and a food critic gig, I find it hard to think that he could not make ends meet comfortably.

Onstad did a Bad Thing, but constantly attacking him in a thread devoted to his work isn't really going to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Those posts trace a timeline of Onstad stealing from his customers, doing and interview where he then called them whiners and begged for donations, "officially" restarting the strip like twice and then abandoning it again, and then revealing the tv show idea which then went nowhere. In the past few months I have complimented him every single time he did something that was funny.