Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Fussy Dutchman posted:

So who's gonna draft Louis Nix? He's easily my favorite ND player of Kelly's time. It's nuts how quick he is for being like 330.

If Dallas was still running a 3-4 I'd be on board with Nix but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the general book on CBs in this draft? I get the impression that there is some depth there but not really a whole lot of surefire first round prospects.

This is the first year in a while where I have no idea what the Bengals should do in the draft. I almost want them to take Aaron Donald and have two Geno Atkins but I'm not sure if you would want both of them to be on the field on the same time outside of obvious passing situations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I kind of hope they go DT, LB, CB, QB. I want a first round CB but the first rounders like Gilbert/Dennard will probably be gone by the Bengals first pick and having competition for Peko (old), Thompson (cool), and Still (lame) would be awesome. In that scenario I hope for Nix/Borland/McGill/Murray.

Then another one of their patented late-round DEs.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 13, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There are a couple of really solid man cover corners so you've got a shot at getting someone good

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The CBs are solid but unspectacular. That could be said of most of the prospects this year. If you want man guys Purifoy, Verrett and Roby will probably be it. Roberson, Dennard and Gilbert strike me as zone types until they learn how to stick to their guys harder.

Louis Nix III seems like he's getting the what have you done lately treatment and will retain a top 15 selection once the combine rolls around. He's just simply the best DT this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Volkerball posted:

No gently caress you all, first four picks will all be QB's and Clowney will slide to the Raiders at 5, so it is written.

The Texans will trade for Cleveland's two firsts, Clowney drops to 4 and the Texans take him for maximum Raider fan heartbreak (Draft goes Manziel, Matthews, Bridgewater), then they'll get Bortles who drops with #26 and Hageman at #33 :getin:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't help but feel bad for any team that would draft Manziel over Bridgewater.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I put it in that order since the Browns are supposedly nuts for Manziel, of course that was with Lombardi at the helm so who the gently caress knows

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't help but feel bad for any team that would draft Manziel over Bridgewater.
Paging Roasted Donut.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The way the Bengals have been drafting, I'm just excited to see what they do.

But yeah, I hope they find a CB they like at least.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You can always find good value in dudes that violate their college team's rules. The Seahawks drafted Michael Bowie in the 7th round. He would have probably been a much higher pick out of Oklahoma State, but he got kicked off the team for violating team rules (undisclosed) and had to graduate from a DII team. He's already started a few games this year.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Don't the Bengals run more zone than man anyway? I could be wrong but that what it seems like in the games that I've watched.

Also, Haslam should've kept Chud and gotten rid of Banner/Lombardi immediately after that decision. Who knows what the hell they're gonna do in the off-season now? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they traded their first pick and not draft a QB until the 3rd-4th.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the Bengals are in a good position to take a CB if a good one is at their spot, but it isn't a pressing need for the next season. Leon Hall will presumably back along with Newman, Jones and Kirkpatrick. Newman obviously might fall off a cliff at some point but he was good last year. Pacman is only 30 and seems fine and Kirkpatrick at least showed some signs that he wasn't a bust.

It seems like they will really need a CB in 2015 and have the luxury of slowly rotating a new person in during 2014 instead of just throwing someone out there in Week 1. Sort of like how they would have needed a DE in 2014 and took Margus Hunt last draft.

John Brown posted:

Don't the Bengals run more zone than man anyway? I could be wrong but that what it seems like in the games that I've watched.

They usually ran man coverage but did a little bit of everything.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

You can always find good value in dudes that violate their college team's rules. The Seahawks drafted Michael Bowie in the 7th round. He would have probably been a much higher pick out of Oklahoma State, but he got kicked off the team for violating team rules (undisclosed) and had to graduate from a DII team. He's already started a few games this year.

Next time use an example of a player who doesn't suck.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Next time use an example of a player who doesn't suck.

You try turning every conversation towards the Seahawks. It's tough work!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Goetta posted:

They usually ran man coverage but did a little bit of everything.
I think they did a lot of zone when Hall went down.

I still remember when they only rushed two against the Steelers :negative:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Atticus Finch posted:

Paging Roasted Donut.

It's true, he's the best.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Falcons are going to give up the entire draft to move up to 2 to draft Clowney and TFF will be confused on how to react because hey gently caress a falcon

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Claw Massage posted:

Falcons are going to give up the entire draft to move up to 2 to draft Clowney and TFF will be confused on how to react because hey gently caress a falcon

If people can like Romo despite him being a Cowboy they'll have no problem enjoying Clowney even if he's a Falcon.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Clowney would obviously help the Falcons in a big way but they need a volume of young, cost-controlled talent more than one blue chip guy, so I don't think a trade up would be smart for them. That doesn't mean they won't do it, but I would hope their 2013 collapse would change their 'we just need one more piece' mentality.

Khalil Mack or whichever's left of Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson makes sense for them at 6 to me, but if they want to move I think trading down makes more sense than up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Who's the best 4-3 DE after Clowney?

Early indication is that's where the Bucs are looking.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I'd say Kony Ealy, unless I'm forgetting somebody obvious.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Damnit you ruined my terrible joke. But yeah Kony's really good

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Well there's this guy from Missouri.

No I mean Kony Ealy, he's right up there.

Aside from him Khalil Mack, Dee Ford and Anthony Barr are pretty well thought of I believe.

e: Mack and Barr are OLB's, not sure where I was reading them as DE's. Maybe they're candidates for a position change?

vv--Or maybe that's it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 14, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grittybeard posted:

Aside from him Khalil Mack, Dee Ford and Anthony Barr are pretty well thought of I believe.

Most people I've read seem to classify Mack and Barr as OLBs at the next level, that's why I didn't include them. Ford is getting a lot of buzz after the Senior Bowl but I still think Ealy's better.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

Doltos posted:

The CBs are solid but unspectacular. That could be said of most of the prospects this year. If you want man guys Purifoy, Verrett and Roby will probably be it. Roberson, Dennard and Gilbert strike me as zone types until they learn how to stick to their guys harder.

Louis Nix III seems like he's getting the what have you done lately treatment and will retain a top 15 selection once the combine rolls around. He's just simply the best DT this year.

The only thing I worry about with Lou is that he had to work himself into shape his freshman year (went from like 380 to 320) and hes kind of a crazy fun loving guy. Seems like he could get into trouble with weight again, but who knows.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grozz Nuy posted:

Most people I've read seem to classify Mack and Barr as OLBs at the next level, that's why I didn't include them. Ford is getting a lot of buzz after the Senior Bowl but I still think Ealy's better.

Ealy's where it's at man

KONY 2014

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Rasczak posted:

If Dallas was still running a 3-4 I'd be on board with Nix but alas

I would take who ever I could get at DT if I were Dallas.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

Ealy's where it's at man

KONY 2014

This is going to get run into the ground so hard by whichever fanbase ends up drafting him but I can't blame them, it's solid

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Yahoo has a fresh mock draft with Khalil Mack going #3 overall to JAX. They list his position as "pass rusher", so there ya go.

Edit: They also have Kony Ealy going #21 to Green Bay.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

Yahoo has a fresh mock draft with Khalil Mack going #3 overall to JAX. They list his position as "pass rusher", so there ya go.

Edit: They also have Kony Ealy going #21 to Green Bay.

This is a goddamn terrible mock draft. Everything is wrong.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That may be the worst mock draft I've seen yet

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

That draft is indeed terrible but I think I'd be fine with Nix

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Intruder posted:

That may be the worst mock draft I've seen yet

quote:

30. San Francisco 49ers — Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks
... He reminds me of the wideout equivalent of LaMichael James and would fit this offense beautifully...

That's just what the 49ers need!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The only position the Bengals definitely won't pick in the first two is OG. Everything else is on the table.

LB would be a head scratcher though.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

The only position the Bengals definitely won't pick in the first two is OG. Everything else is on the table.

LB would be a head scratcher though.

WR or RB would be really weird

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Jackson's a WR guru and they could use a younger power back. I'd be surprised but not shocked.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AfterFather posted:

I would take who ever I could get at DT if I were Dallas.

All this Ealy talk is a coincidence (CALM DOWN GOONS) but as you can see from my post in the mock draft thread I'd be pretty happy with Ealy in the 1st and Hageman in the 2nd, although Hageman falling all the way to Dallas in the 2nd is far from guaranteed.

E: Had to split for breakfast. If Dallas were to go DT in the 1st they should probably go with Donald or Jernigan, depending on how the combine shakes out. Nix is a stud but he's a prototypical NT and a bad fit for Dallas.

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nawid posted:

This is a goddamn terrible mock draft. Everything is wrong.

It's weird but his wrote up of the browns taking Benjamin made me angry. Fascinating!!!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Yahoo posted:

20. Arizona Cardinals — Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard
My gut feeling now is that they’ll be able to bolster their left tackle need in free agency (Branden Albert would have to be a favorite) now that they have freed up salary-cap space with the Larry Fitzgerald restructuring. Next on the list of concerns? Bolstering a secondary that is loaded with talent but also questions, such as the contract status of Patrick Peterson and the ACL injury to Tyrann Mathieu. This is a big week upcoming for Dennard, whose lack of top-end speed could cause him to fall.

I'm gonna go with no on this one. What the gently caress?

E: And Arizona isn't going to let Peterson walk. They have been keeping their home grown stars the past 8 years or so. It's something they focus on doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SoE also has a mock draft(s) up http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67711888/sports-on-earth-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-teddy-bridgewater

• Locked thread