Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chemex makes a glass mug. My suspicion is it will cause some disasters but I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I had to throw out like three or four cups of a new Rwanda we just got in because of their stupid potato defect. I bet this is gonna be super annoying in a couple weeks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nwin posted:

Still a bit too much concentration required to make it my go-to cup first thing in the morning, but it's definitely nice. The CCD still reigns supreme.

My sister got me a Chemex for Christmas, and I'm starting to fall in love with it for morning coffee over the CCD. The cup is invariably a bit weaker since the steep time isn't as long, but it's quick and doesn't require much brain activity on my part to brew a good cup. With the CCD I invariably end up meandering off while the coffee is steeping and forget to start draining it in time because it's like 6am and I'm a zombie. :v:

Also, anybody know if there are any roasting methods that produce a smaller amount of smoke than stovetop Whirley Pop? I live in an on-campus apartment where the planners thought it would be a great idea to put the stove all the way across the room from the nearest window, and right below a smoke detector set to go off if you even think about producing any kind of smoke. I love roasting my own green beans, but I'm sick of setting the drat thing off. And no I can't take it off/cover it for the duration because if one of the RA's decides to do one of their 'spot checks' while I'm roasting (and they do them all the loving time) and see that, I'll get slapped with a $1000 fine. :suicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What ratios (weights) are people using for aeropress. Just got one and I don't want to do the whole inverted thing and I'm way too OCD re: coffee to use a scoop and the numbers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

nm posted:

What ratios (weights) are people using for aeropress. Just got one and I don't want to do the whole inverted thing and I'm way too OCD re: coffee to use a scoop and the numbers.

I use my aeropress in way that you're not supposed to because I don't care. I use a fine grind and put about 3/4 to an inch of coffee in it, fill it to the top with water and again with water about 30 seconds in to top it up, stir at around 1 minute and press.

I like bigger cups and it tastes great.

edit : i use a metal disc filter.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I aeropress exclusively, and I currently use 14g of grounds per "number" of water. I hope I don't have to explain why I don't bother weighing the water.

I also use paper filters because I couldn't actually get the metal one I bought to fit, and yeah, shooting filter and puck straight into the trashcan with a single push fucken rules.

Sydin posted:

Also, anybody know if there are any roasting methods that produce a smaller amount of smoke than stovetop Whirley Pop? I live in an on-campus apartment where the planners thought it would be a great idea to put the stove all the way across the room from the nearest window, and right below a smoke detector set to go off if you even think about producing any kind of smoke. I love roasting my own green beans, but I'm sick of setting the drat thing off. And no I can't take it off/cover it for the duration because if one of the RA's decides to do one of their 'spot checks' while I'm roasting (and they do them all the loving time) and see that, I'll get slapped with a $1000 fine. :suicide:

Take an electric popcorn popper to a common area or an exterior outlet on the building, if you're feeling charitable.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 11, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

beanbrew posted:

I had to throw out like three or four cups of a new Rwanda we just got in because of their stupid potato defect. I bet this is gonna be super annoying in a couple weeks.

Potato defect? I'm completely clueless on what this means but I'm interested. :allears:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Comic posted:

Potato defect? I'm completely clueless on what this means but I'm interested. :allears:

Oh man, this is actually kind of funny/obnoxious (depending on whether or not you're directly affected): http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11247

Nature to coffee-lovers: "gently caress you."

Sydin posted:

I will never, ever, understand why people think installing a stove without an exterior vented hood is a good idea.

e: Can you bribe your RA with fresh-roasted coffee? That's what I'd do :ohdear:

o muerte fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 11, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

o muerte posted:

The potential drawback here is that the one time you forget to take the cover down/put the smoke detector back up, and fate is sufficiently tempted, you are opened to a whole new world of liability.

Sydin, if you decide to go this route, do what pilots do and make a written checklist that you go over every time, without exceptions. One of the items, of course, is restoring the smoke detector to operational status.

As for actually contributing to your question, my dbhg roasting adventures have been pretty low-smoke, but then there is the concern that I may not be getting them hot enough to actually reach first crack. The coffee tastes good, though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

o muerte posted:

I must not drink enough Rwandan, because I just feel bad for the farmers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

o muerte posted:

I will never, ever, understand why people think installing a stove without an exterior vented hood is a good idea.

I wish. :negative:

becoming posted:

As for actually contributing to your question, my dbhg roasting adventures have been pretty low-smoke, but then there is the concern that I may not be getting them hot enough to actually reach first crack. The coffee tastes good, though.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Take an electric popcorn popper to a common area or an exterior outlet on the building, if you're feeling charitable.

Thanks. It occurs to me I can do either of these next to my bedroom window and just plop a giant fan down to filter it out. I'll try it.

o muerte posted:

Oh man, this is actually kind of funny/obnoxious (depending on whether or not you're directly affected): http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11247

Also wow, this really sucks. Particularly for the farmers, since the article made it out to seem that specialty coffee is one of their major exports. :(

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I lack impulse control and really love pour-over, so I bought a Takahiro 900ml kettle. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome. I expected it to be better than my Bonavita but not this much so. For anyone considering the purchase, take this as an endorsement. It is an absolute delight to pour with.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

becoming posted:

I lack impulse control and really love pour-over, so I bought a Takahiro 900ml kettle. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome. I expected it to be better than my Bonavita but not this much so. For anyone considering the purchase, take this as an endorsement. It is an absolute delight to pour with.
What's the bottom of the kettle like inside? I hate how my Hario has a groove/crevasse for a weld where different things can build up unless it's cleaned impeccably.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

What's the bottom of the kettle like inside? I hate how my Hario has a groove/crevasse for a weld where different things can build up unless it's cleaned impeccably.

No seams. Slopes gently up and into the wall. Looks like it's a single piece of steel, other than the spout (and the lid, obviously).

I also like that I can get my gigantor hands into it. The mouth on this thing is enormous.

The only complaint I've really read (other than price, of course) is that the handle can get hot if you just heat this on your stove. I've mitigated this by just pouring boiling water into it from another kettle. Water temperature measures about 205º F after I pour it in and the handle is well within the comfortable range.

becoming fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 13, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

becoming posted:

I assume you had the bonavita gooseneck? Tried the Hario one?

I have the bonavita gooseneck electric variable temp kettle one. The Hario/Takahiro are booth woo'ing me, with their looks and old school charm. Not sure if I want to do it though.

Edit: Also, pretty sure my wife got me a 10-cup Chemex for my upcoming birthday. I just realized my kettle is 1-liter, and 10-cups is 1.5 liters...how do I do this?

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use a Hario 1 liter. With the Chemex it takes at least 4 minutes to brew a batch, and probably slightly longer for the 10 cup. What I do is I heat up the water in my electric kettle and pour it into the Hario. Then I put more water in and heat it up. It's ready in about 2 minutes and I can pour the rest in.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

I assume you had the bonavita gooseneck? Tried the Hario one?

I have the bonavita gooseneck electric variable temp kettle one. The Hario/Takahiro are booth woo'ing me, with their looks and old school charm. Not sure if I want to do it though.

Edit: Also, pretty sure my wife got me a 10-cup Chemex for my upcoming birthday. I just realized my kettle is 1-liter, and 10-cups is 1.5 liters...how do I do this?

Still have the same Bonavita that you've got, and I still really like it. Already though, with only a few pours of practice, I can get a fair bit slower pour out of the Takahiro. It's weighted very well (in my opinion), so as stupid as this sounds, it "handles" better as well.

I've read kinda "ehhhh" things about the Hario Buono, which I take with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's a good kettle. Numerous complaints about the bottom seam though, including just a few posts up in this thread. I've also read that the bottom is flimsy. I decided to spend the money on the Takahiro and so far I'm really happy with it. I will go ahead and point out you can get the Kalita Wave kettle on Amazon for $58 right now. I don't need it but I sure am tempted at that price.

Happy birthday; it sounds like your wife rules. I say this because I got my wife a ten-cup Chemex for her birthday, so that is the birthday gift of champions, for champions. It's pretty loving obnoxious to brew a full ten cups, frankly. Definitely refill your pouring kettle during the bloom. You will need to refill at one other point in your brew. You're going to be pouring about 1650ml to actually brew the ten cups, so a good starting point is: pour the bloom, refill, pour up to 825ml, refill, pour the rest. Chemex filters drain so slowly that you're probably stopping your pour anyway, so there's your refill point. (That's not to rag on the Chemex, though; I use it every single morning. It is awesome.)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Awesome thanks for the help guys. Man I want that Kalita Wave Kettle now (and a Hario and a Takahiro)...i might be addicted. I'll probably just start with the Kalita, the Hario would match my server and v60 though :)

Man it really sucks you in. Next house has a requirement to have it's own coffee cabinet/countertop. Espresso machine/grinder (grinders), 4+ pour over cones, etc etc...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So my Pino digital Kettle let the smoke out today. I guess 4 years is a pretty good run, but still sucks. Thought it might light my office on fire for a second.
Thankfully, I have a backup one.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
For those who want are interested, the Bonavita Temperature Controlled Electric Kettle is on sale at Massdrop for $75 + shipping ($5 in US). One day left.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bonavita-gooseneck-electric-kettle

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
That's a good deal. I use mine every single day, and it's fantastic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Home roast + pourover/aeropress peeps: the same bag of green coffee used to make a beautiful golden brown crema, but now it foams.

I think it's just because I over-roasted this batch. Unroasted beans last a long time, right?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Home roast + pourover/aeropress peeps: the same bag of green coffee used to make a beautiful golden brown crema, but now it foams.

I think it's just because I over-roasted this batch. Unroasted beans last a long time, right?

The saying is something like 15 months green coffee / 15 days roasted coffee / 15 minutes ground coffee.

The foaming usually means it hasn't completely degassed, I'm guessing you brewed within 24 hours of roasting it? Give it a day or two and it will be fine (you can still drink it now, just won't be 'as' good).

Also, I've had a few aeropress accidents when it really starts foaming on me, shooting the plunger out, etc. Whee!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mandalay posted:

You go through 226g of coffee a week by drinking 20g a day?

I'm not saying 226g of coffee is an unreasonable amount of coffee consumption per week but that's more like 2 per weekday.

I missed like 8 pages of this thread and don't feel like catching up but by my math I go through 253g/week. This is 7 300ml coffees every morning for the week and a 500ml thermos I take to work 5 days a week because they make Folgers and depending on who set the Bunn brewer it's either tasting like coffee flavored water to oh my god my heart is going to explode with all this caffeine. I hardly think that's a lot of coffee.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MrEnigma posted:

The saying is something like 15 months green coffee / 15 days roasted coffee / 15 minutes ground coffee.

The foaming usually means it hasn't completely degassed, I'm guessing you brewed within 24 hours of roasting it? Give it a day or two and it will be fine (you can still drink it now, just won't be 'as' good).

Ah! That makes perfect sense, thanks.

quote:

Also, I've had a few aeropress accidents when it really starts foaming on me, shooting the plunger out, etc. Whee!

Well that's something to look forward to.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've been thinking about upgrading my coffee set up. I currently home roast my beans with a air popper, grind with a lovely Cuisinart burr grinder, and brew using either my Aeropress or Chemex. I boil water in a terrible Rival kettle - it boils fine, but the pour is inconsistent. Despite a good bit of inferior equipment, my brews generally turn out pretty drat good. I'm looking to get a more consistent brew - right now when I use the chemex, I just throw the beans in the grinder and hit grind on a spot on the grind timer that has seemed to work out, and then I eyeball the pour - meaning I don't measure a drat thing. While a new kettle and grinder are on my list of upgrades (thinking a Buono and Encore), I'm think a scale is the lowest cost:benefit purchase. What scales do y'all recommend?

I realize that pulling the trigger on a Baratza is hands down going to be the most effective thing to improve my brews, but scales are a lot cheaper.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

We all have this one. This, along with a thermometer and timer on your phone will get you consistency. The grinder will straight up make your coffee taste better, I recommend the refurbished Preciso if you can afford it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a pretty generic answer, but I have the Hario Scale which has a built in timer. Granted I've only owned it for a few months now, but I've had zero issue with it, and it's nice to not have to fumble with a phone/watch/something else I can knock off my counter by accident.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Sydin posted:

It's a pretty generic answer, but I have the Hario Scale which has a built in timer. Granted I've only owned it for a few months now, but I've had zero issue with it, and it's nice to not have to fumble with a phone/watch/something else I can knock off my counter by accident.

My only issue with that thing is the price. Seems like he might be better off using a simple timer app and putting that extra $30 towards a new grinder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That is true, Hario is one of those companies that has a lot of brand recognition, so their prices can get pretty crazy. The one you posted is functionally identical sans the timer, for a third of the price.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The hario has a pour over stand you can buy that can sit on it as well, which I assume is a lot of the allure.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

The hario has a pour over stand you can buy that can sit on it as well, which I assume is a lot of the allure.

I didn't consider that. I just put the little plastic plate that came with my ccd on top.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I use an UltraShip 35 as a combination eBay/cooking/general nerdiness scale. It's accurate, cheap, and can run on batteries for when I'm away from home.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

it's nice to not have to fumble with a phone/watch/something else I can knock off my counter by accident.

I'm picturing a scene from an infomercial where they show a bunch of different people horribly screwing up mundane, everyday tasks and getting very mad about it.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014
How much does a cup of "your" coffee approximately cost?
And how much money would I need to get a decent starter kit?

I'd totally like to test try that out!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Keldoclock posted:

I use an UltraShip 35 as a combination eBay/cooking/general nerdiness scale. It's accurate, cheap, and can run on batteries for when I'm away from home.

Five gram increments are not even remotely precise enough for coffee, though. Or cooking unless you're cooking for like 20 people.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

DoBoMi posted:

How much does a cup of "your" coffee approximately cost?
And how much money would I need to get a decent starter kit?

I'd totally like to test try that out!

Not counting electricity to roast, boil water, or grind beans...

$6.13/lb for green coffee, shipped to my door, and I get about 17 12-ounce cups from a pound once it's roasted and ground, so 36¢ for the beans.

If I'm making just a cup, these days I'm using either the small Bee House dripper or the V60-01. Filters for those are either 2.4¢ or 7¢. If you go with the Clever dripper, filters are about 3.5¢ each.

So, again, not counting electricity, we're looking at somewhere between 38.4¢ and 43¢ for a 12-ounce (355ml) cup of brewed coffee.

If I buy roasted beans from someone else, I'm looking at around 90¢ for the beans, depending on roaster and which beans I buy.

As far as getting started, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself, but the big one is whether you want an electric grinder (faster, and easier to adjust grind size) or a hand grinder (cheaper). The starter electric grinder everyone is going to recommend is the Baratza Encore, which is $99 refurbished when you can find it or $129 brand new. For hand grinding, I like my Hario Mini Mill, which was $28 shipped. The Clever dripper is $22, and filters for it are $3.50/100 at Bed Bath & Beyond. The scale Google Butt recommended a few posts back (and he's right, pretty much all of us have that one) is $19. Presumably you have a method to boil water, but if you do not, this is the second big question. You can get by with a $2 kettle on your stovetop, you can do like I did and buy the $100 Bonavita temperature-control gooseneck kettle, or there are a lot of options in between. With the Clever dripper, you're probably fine with any old stovetop kettle. You can get started making really good coffee for about $75 on a budget, and you can spend up to however much money you have in your bank account.

becoming fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 16, 2014

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

becoming posted:

Not counting electricity to roast, boil water, or grind beans...

$6.13/lb for green coffee, shipped to my door, and I get about 17 12-ounce cups from a pound once it's roasted and ground, so 36¢ for the beans.

If I'm making just a cup, these days I'm using either the small Bee House dripper or the V60-01. Filters for those are either 2.4¢ or 7¢. If you go with the Clever dripper, filters are about 3.5¢ each.

So, again, not counting electricity, we're looking at somewhere between 38.4¢ and 43¢ for a 12-ounce (355ml) cup of brewed coffee.

If I buy roasted beans from someone else, I'm looking at around 90¢ for the beans, depending on roaster and which beans I buy.

As far as getting started, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself, but the big one is whether you want an electric grinder (faster, and easier to adjust grind size) or a hand grinder (cheaper). The starter electric grinder everyone is going to recommend is the Baratza Encore, which is $99 refurbished when you can find it or $129 brand new. For hand grinding, I like my Hario Mini Mill, which was $28 shipped. The Clever dripper is $22, and filters for it are $3.50/100 at Bed Bath & Beyond. The scale Google Butt recommended a few posts back (and he's right, pretty much all of us have that one) is $19. Presumably you have a method to boil water, but if you do not, this is the second big question. You can get by with a $2 kettle on your stovetop, you can do like I did and buy the $100 Bonavita temperature-control gooseneck kettle, or there are a lot of options in between. With the Clever dripper, you're probably fine with any old stovetop kettle. You can get started making really good coffee for about $75 on a budget, and you can spend up to however much money you have in your bank account.

Wow, thank you very much!
I think I will get myself that equipment, even though it is a bit expensive for me as a poor student, moving out into his first apartment.. But it's all about life's little pleasures I guess ^_^
Could you ever imagine drinking a pad/capsule coffee again? How big is the difference? Because I think I never drank a coffee like the ones you guys make it, I can't imagine that restaurants put as much effort in their coffee as you do

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

DoBoMi posted:

I think I will get myself that equipment, even though it is a bit expensive for me as a poor student, moving out into his first apartment.. But it's all about life's little pleasures I guess ^_^
Could you ever imagine drinking a pad/capsule coffee again? How big is the difference? Because I think I never drank a coffee like the ones you guys make it, I can't imagine that restaurants put as much effort in their coffee as you do

I can drink Keurig coffee still, but I don't enjoy it - it's just getting a caffeine fix, while my normal morning cup of coffee I make at home is a ritual that brings me joy.

As far as restaurants go, it depends. I've been in the industry for ten years, and it varies. At one restaurant, a small mom and pop place, the owners got locally roasted coffee in valve bags once a month, and fresh ground the coffee immediately before making every pot, in a nice commercial drip brewer. This is not the norm.

The norm is bags of preground crap that was roasted god knows when, brewed usually at the beginning of a shift, though on the shifts I manage I try to ensure that it doesn't get brewed until someone actually orders it. If you want to see if you'd be into it, I'd try to find a local coffee shop that offers pourover, just to see what it's like before dropping eighty dollars on equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

DoBoMi posted:

Not knowing your budget and whether $19 rrrrrreally matters to you, you can get by without a scale. No one here will recommend it, but if it's a question of "let me get by for a month or two until I can drop $20 for a scale", go for it. You'll simply suffer more inconsistency in your brews - so one cup might be absolutely loving magical, and the next might be kinda meh. It's all still probably better than anything else you were drinking.

I could not imagine drinking other coffee again, because I could never drink it in the first place. My palate is extremely sensitive to the over-extracted bitter taste, and I can't even get a gulp of that stuff down. I absolutely hated coffee until I started making it myself. So for me, the difference is pretty huge.