Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Holy smokes that's a great tumblr! Thanks for sharing.

I have a pretty big deadline coming up in a month, and then another one month after that, so I'll be streaming more often. It's funny, because what I work on during the stream is usually determined by, "will viewers care about this/find this cool," which turns out to be a great filter for work items in general. :)

Side note: What I listen to during work (non-streaming) generally has a large influence on the feel of the game. Gravity, Game of Thrones, Ender's Game, etc have all made the rounds. I have recently discovered the soundtrack to Valhalla Rising on Spotify after watching the movie. It's pretty sinister. The movie is on Netflix streaming if you want to check it out. It's like a viking version of Drive that starts veering into Apocalypse Now levels of craziness toward the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggv9aSZi8_Y (sample)

I think I liked it.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Hi thread.

This is from lots of pages ago, I don't know if you remember. But thanks for making me watch 110 episodes of space lasers with philosophy while waiting for this game to come out.

Now I don't have any more space laser with philosophy to watch and the game is still not out. So what should I do?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Play Homeworld and/or Freespace. Maybe Ba ttlezone.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Play Homeworld and/or Freespace. Maybe Ba ttlezone.

I have, ages ago. But these days they seem to be quite hard to get a hold of. Ground Control was mentioned above, that I never played. How does it hold up these days? Go directly for 2 or start with 1 + expansion?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I have, ages ago. But these days they seem to be quite hard to get a hold of. Ground Control was mentioned above, that I never played. How does it hold up these days? Go directly for 2 or start with 1 + expansion?

The differences between Ground Control 1 and 2 are pretty big. I never liked 2 at all, but some people really loved it. My opinion would be to play 1. If you can get around the graphics, which are aged but charming, then you should have a good time with the game. I would at least give it a go and stick with it enough for aerodynes and the like to show up.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Phrosphor posted:

The differences between Ground Control 1 and 2 are pretty big. I never liked 2 at all, but some people really loved it. My opinion would be to play 1. If you can get around the graphics, which are aged but charming, then you should have a good time with the game. I would at least give it a go and stick with it enough for aerodynes and the like to show up.

Ok, thanks!

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

InAndOutBrennan posted:

You can find all of those games on GoG, except for Battlezone, which you can get for free and works in modern systems due to a patch collaborated on by the original programmers.

Speaking of, you can also get the Freespace 2 SCP (source code project), which improves the game for modern systems and there was a lot of work done to remodel ships and other effects. I believe it needs the original game files for campaign stuff and such (you can even import the Freespace 1 campaign into it).

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 13, 2014

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
You might also look at Void Destroyer - it's still in developments but it's got plenty to do at this stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpjg5GmbUw

But drat I just want a prototype of Enemy Starfighter to show off as soon as I can get my grubby hands on it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

@tipul posted:

>> All patrol fleets, respond to possible Imperial incursion at Belt 1.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really like the blurb, the naming schemes, the technologies - well written flavor.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Kairo posted:

I have a pretty big deadline coming up in a month, and then another one month after that, so I'll be streaming more often. It's funny, because what I work on during the stream is usually determined by, "will viewers care about this/find this cool," which turns out to be a great filter for work items in general. :)
Does this mean you have funding and are working on Enemy Starfighter full time now? If so, congratulations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/tipul/status/434023285940969472]

Fuckkkkkk I want to play this so bad.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
My only complaint is that the dust cloud looks a bit too atmospheric (too fluffy, it should be more rounded like cigarette smoke blowing in the wind) but goddamn. I can't wait to stare at that backdrop whilst flying.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nephilm posted:

You can find all of those games on GoG, except for Battlezone, which you can get for free and works in modern systems due to a patch collaborated on by the original programmers.

Speaking of, you can also get the Freespace 2 SCP (source code project), which improves the game for modern systems and there was a lot of work done to remodel ships and other effects. I believe it needs the original game files for campaign stuff and such (you can even import the Freespace 1 campaign into it).

They also released Ground Control 1 for free, but I don't know if that's still available what with it being sold through GoG now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/tipul/status/434023285940969472]

Looks more and more like Homeworld every day.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I keep pressing spacebar but i'm not exiting map view and going into the cockpit, where do I file a bug.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Greetings, Starfighters - an update on the blog.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Heck yes, can't wait to be a villain to earn sweet space bucks for destroying escape pods.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Man I was wondering if Kairo / Mr Tipul had played Eve, because the movement around the solar system was looking very eve-like. Answers that question.

This is becoming one of those holy grail games. Homeworld tactical interface + wing commander / xwing fighting, and now Eve skirmish strategy. :aaa::fh:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy poo poo, I would have been really happy just playing the game with scripted missions or a rudimentary skirmish generator. This sounds incredible.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Looks like the game is making a ton of progress, great job!

I'd love some more information about the hunting and hiding mechanic, since I had thought the tactical planning part was really cool. The prospect of jumping in fighters to draw off the CAP, then warping in bombers from the other direction was just so sexy. Having not played Eve, could you go into more detail on how it works mechanically?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rivensteel posted:

Having not played Eve, could you go into more detail on how it works mechanically?
In Eve when you get in small skirmishes, people will be warping in and out of the battle a lot (because once you are in warp you're invulnerable). So one job that someone might have is to probe for the opponent's ships, which allows them to warp directly to their location.

It sounds like Kairo is aiming for the first part of a system battle to be like a fight in eve where you are outnumbered -- you gotta keep on the move because your opponent is always probing for you, and if he catches you you're dead. But because it's a SP game not PvP, the responsiveness of the opponent is more about a GTA Wanted style alertness level rather than the other guy's probe skills.

(In eve this type of combat frequently plays out in long range sniper duels, not close up hit & run. That's because eve has warp disruption bubbles that prevent anyone from going into warp -- you can hit but you can't run. Enemy Starfighter looks to be very different because the mechanic for preventing someone from running away is disabling engines.)

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Klyith posted:

Skirmish stuff...

This is a good run down. For this, neither hunting nor hiding are deep mechanics. Basically, it's just about positioning yourself for mugging a fleet. Are they alone? Are their friends close by or already stuck in warp? Once you're spotted and want to disengage, you warp away. If you haven't been spotted for long enough, the AI resets and reinforces.

A friend of mine said that it's sort of like this:

If I need to delve deeper into this stuff I will pull the fog of war stuff out of the actual combat areas completely and put it in the solar system map instead. I will know more as I do more work on that this month.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey Kairo, I'm taking a job as a writer with Bungie. Maybe I'll see some of your friends? Hopefully I won't get in trouble for being unable to shut up about your game :ohdear:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Hey Kairo, I'm taking a job as a writer with Bungie. Maybe I'll see some of your friends? Hopefully I won't get in trouble for being unable to shut up about your game :ohdear:

Congrats! Everyone there is awesome, so you must be too. I think they are used to ES spam by now so don't sweat it. :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
You know, a part of me doesn't want the game to come out so I can just watch this thing develop forever. You seriously put out a superhuman amount of effort on this.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Leif. posted:

You know, a part of me doesn't want the game to come out so I can just watch this thing develop forever. You seriously put out a superhuman amount of effort on this.

You take that part of you out behind the shed and beat it to death with a shovel.

Unrelated, Kairo needs an avatar.

VVV You're quick. I was trying to learn how to edit a gif from this thread down to Av size.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 14, 2014

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Done.

Upgrade to an animated one is dependent on game release (or beta :pervert:)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Banano posted:

Done.

Truly, you captured the art direction of the game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Banano posted:

Done.

oh my god

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Oh wow so not only are there escape pods, but you can kill them, in fact you're rewarded for killing them. This game just keeps getting better.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

illectro posted:

Oh wow so not only are there escape pods, but you can kill them, in fact you're rewarded for killing them. This game just keeps getting better.

You should get max rewards for leaving exactly one survivor to "Spread the Dread".

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Banano posted:

Done.

Haha, thank you!

Derek Dominoe posted:

You should get max rewards for leaving exactly one survivor to "Spread the Dread".

"Tell your masters what you've seen here today."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In the future there will be no need for such primitive methods as leaving one person alive. Automated robots will take video of the massacres, make animated .gifs of them, then post them to twitter and tumblr with hashtags calling out the intended target.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kairo posted:

"Tell your masters what you've seen here today."

Seriously though, you need to add a small dread bonus (maybe 4-5x what you'd get for the kill) for leaving a single survivor. Not enough to swing gameplay much in the players favor, but just big enough to be tempting and make you feel like even more of an almighty space bastard.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

In the future there will be no need for such primitive methods as leaving one person alive. Automated robots will take video of the massacres, make animated .gifs of them, then post them to twitter and tumblr with hashtags calling out the intended target.

The future will be terrifying!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Style points for gathering the last survivor capsule in a torpedo tube, traveling to the nearest populated planet, and firing it directly into its crust.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Whats the chance of having swarm missiles that require your fighter to do an obligated roll ala Macross?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dominic White posted:

Seriously though, you need to add a small dread bonus (maybe 4-5x what you'd get for the kill) for leaving a single survivor. Not enough to swing gameplay much in the players favor, but just big enough to be tempting and make you feel like even more of an almighty space bastard.

Given the escape pod-killing will be mostly auto-turret based, that sounds really fiddly & unfun?

Flavorful, but unfun.

(I do love the whole escape pod mechanic, though. Amazing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

PleasingFungus posted:

Given the escape pod-killing will be mostly auto-turret based, that sounds really fiddly & unfun?

Flavorful, but unfun.

(I do love the whole escape pod mechanic, though. Amazing.)

I agree with this sentiment 100%.

Loving what you've been producing lately, keep up the great work and let us know when we can throw money at you!

• Locked thread