Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cheez posted:

So it's been bugging me for a while but there was this game for DOS, or at least I'm assuming it was. You were trapped on a desert island and you had to continually make decisions to try and survive and escape. I don't remember it being very complex but I believe you could at least make an attempt to get food or signal for help in various ways.

The only reason I'm aware of it is because of it being on a school PC, but I wasn't at that particular school on a permanent basis so the name of it and other details just never stuck with me.

It might be Island. (This is the Commodore 64 version; there was also a DOS version, although it's much harder to find.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Looking for a PC game, would've released in the mid to late 90s. It was a first person flight game with futuristic vehicles. I remember you could upgrade your guns and every once in a while you'd have to fly into a hole in the ground and go through a metallic tunnel. I also seem to remember there being some pretty big enemies to fight that maybe sort of looked like at-ats?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Sounds a bit like Terminal Velocity, especially the tunnel bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyrXTL683g

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or if it was late 80s it could be Starglider 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PQ8tKTAiA
It's got tunnels and 2-legged walker guys and SPACE WHALES. I'm pretty sure you could upgrade your guns, or upgrade something at least. Probably not it but I just liked being reminded of SPACE WHALES

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ClownSyndrome posted:

It could be Fury3, but I don't remember you being able to upgrade your stuff in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=126Siqyggfc

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ClownSyndrome posted:

Yeah, that's it! I loved that game so much.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I bet it doesn't have space whales though. In space

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

THE BAR posted:

It could be Fury3, but I don't remember you being able to upgrade your stuff in that one.

Your main gun and rapid fire gun both got more projectiles per shot the more pickups you got without running out of ammo in Fury3, but it only lasted until you ran out of ammo and it reset.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ages ago I played this dungeon crawling thing, possibly on the Mac. You were a prince-kinda dude with a sword and a bow and arrows, that was it. The main things I remember from it are that
a) your HP dropped slowly all the time as you wandered around - every floor had a poison rating from 1 to 10, and higher ratings hurt you faster. Either you never healed or did it really rarely, you just kept going until you ran out of HP and died.
b) there were nests that would spawn monsters at you until you went over and hit them.
c) one of the most annoying things were these mirrors that would spawn doppelgangers of you any time they were in LoS. Hitting the doppelgangers hurt you a whole bunch, but the only real way to take out a mirror was to shoot magic arrows through the doppelgangers to blow it up.
d) when you won you got to walk past a huge-rear end sign made of terrain that said CONGRATULATIONS in big letters (so I guess I beat it at some point).

How do I remember this much about this game and not what it's called

I can even hear the sound the doppelgangers made aggh

megane fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 13, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

ToxicFrog posted:

It might be Island. (This is the Commodore 64 version; there was also a DOS version, although it's much harder to find.)

That's probably it! The C64 version has the same choices, so it's only going to be a matter of tracking down the DOS version to be absolutely sure. I'm not terribly happy to see a one word game name, though. Search engines are bad with that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Help me remember the name of a game.

It's a platformer and it's on Steam. It's really brutally unfairly hard. I think you play as a green haired girl. It reminds me of those brutaly hard mario hacks and flash games where you go to jump over a pit and an invisible block appears and kills you. I think it runs at some weird resolution.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I was going to ask, but I found the answer: ChronX

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Help me remember the name of a game.

It's a platformer and it's on Steam. It's really brutally unfairly hard. I think you play as a green haired girl. It reminds me of those brutaly hard mario hacks and flash games where you go to jump over a pit and an invisible block appears and kills you. I think it runs at some weird resolution.

I don't know why i know this, but: Eryi's Action.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
edit: was too slow, and also wrong

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a zombie game on ps1 or 2. You pick a party of three and start out in a bar. Zombies storm the bar and you need to find the key get out of the back door. Don't really remember too much else. It's not an RPG everything is done real time, but I wouldn't really call it an action game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Safety Scissors posted:

It's a zombie game on ps1 or 2. You pick a party of three and start out in a bar. Zombies storm the bar and you need to find the key get out of the back door. Don't really remember too much else. It's not an RPG everything is done real time, but I wouldn't really call it an action game.

Resident Evil Outbreak?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ponzicar posted:

Resident Evil Outbreak?

It is, but the servers for the game aren't up anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord Chumley posted:

It is, but the servers for the game aren't up anymore.

After several years of work somebody reverse engineered the server though, and supposedly it works. I haven't taken the time to set it all up yet, but I'd love to play some more multiplayer RE:Outbreak sometime, that game rocked. Bots aren't the same...

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
There was a PS2 game I played a demo of years ago, it was a stealth-based action game where you played as a blonde woman whose husband had been killed by terrorists and she was out for revenge. What was this and is it worth playing now? I remember the demo was very unforgiving and you basically had to do everything perfectly or invincible death turrets would pop out and murder you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Interloper posted:

There was a PS2 game I played a demo of years ago, it was a stealth-based action game where you played as a blonde woman whose husband had been killed by terrorists and she was out for revenge. What was this and is it worth playing now? I remember the demo was very unforgiving and you basically had to do everything perfectly or invincible death turrets would pop out and murder you.

Was it an MGS clone? Possibly Rogue Ops.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There was an old edutainment game that was a sidescroller with a greek myth theme. Zues gave you math problems or something. There were bosses I think, and the last one was a flying red demon named Apathy.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

Neo Rasa posted:

Was it an MGS clone? Possibly Rogue Ops.

That was it, thanks.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm trying to remember this weird Japanese, sidescrolling, arena combat mech game. The version in question was a DS version of a fairly popular series where your mech-dude can shoot so many missiles that the game stopped rendering them because of how the hardware couldn't handle so much on screen. There were a lot of weird gimmick levels with giant soccer balls and long fuses that would detonate bombs and blow you up if you didn't speed through the level fast enough, and other similarly silly Japanese stuff, but mostly it was a lot of stupidly difficult fights in cramped spaces with only a few pixels of safe, non-missile filled air to fly around in.

Does this ring a bell for or anyone? Searching for a single obscure Japanese mech game among zillions of mech games hasn't led me to any answers, if you can believe that.

gently caress, I found it. Only after I've given up and asked for help do I ever find anything on my own. Bangai-O Spirits. What a weird, weird, great game.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 13, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rita Repulsa posted:

There was an old edutainment game that was a sidescroller with a greek myth theme. Zues gave you math problems or something. There were bosses I think, and the last one was a flying red demon named Apathy.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, but no one else on earth does because I've tried to look into it and come up empty. The game was called Mathology. Pretty sure I still have a copy.

EDIT:
I'm positive I still have the manual at my grandparent's house (pretty sure it never came in a box because I remember the big manual and floppy just being plastic wrapped). If you continue the search, I know I got it through the elementary school book club catalog, so probably Scholastic?

I'll see if I can find the floppy and try to preserve the thing by submitting to Abandonia or something.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thanks
I was going to check to see if there were youtubes of or even just screenshots it for an idea I had, and for a bit of closure

See, i never actually got to play the drat game. Parents bought it because they bought everything that had math in the titke but then wouldn't let me play it because it had a demon in it.

E: yeah to the internet this game never existed

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 13, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Joe Man posted:

I'll see if I can find the floppy and try to preserve the thing by submitting to Abandonia or something.

You are doing god's work, dear goon.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
I had a post written here about a game I remembered that nobody else did called SIMSpace from back in the day, since there was no trace of it on the internet except for the shareware version I already had on some BBS archives, wondering if the full version even existed at all. But apparently at least the author remembers it, as last year he claimed to be working on a new version of it. Maybe my younger self's soul can finally be at peace after all!

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ponzicar posted:

Resident Evil Outbreak?

Yeah that's it, I thought it was an RE game, but I didn't know they made non numbered ones for consoles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ok I've got another one. A PSX game, it was a third-person action game where you controlled a spaceman with big hair (I think). You ran around firing ray guns at aliens or soldiers or something. I also remember the controls being really bad, but that may have just been me sucking at it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

ok I've got another one. A PSX game, it was a third-person action game where you controlled a spaceman with big hair (I think). You ran around firing ray guns at aliens or soldiers or something. I also remember the controls being really bad, but that may have just been me sucking at it.
Probably Blasto.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yep, that's the one. I feel like I've forgotten and remembered the name of that game so many times over the last 15 or so years.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Looking for the name of an NES game where you are a little rocket ship, and you have to bring parts of a bigger ship or a base or something back to your starting area. The game is all about balancing these heavy rear end parts that swing at the end of your rope, and trying to navigate them back to your base without crashing.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Baldbeard posted:

Looking for the name of an NES game where you are a little rocket ship, and you have to bring parts of a bigger ship or a base or something back to your starting area. The game is all about balancing these heavy rear end parts that swing at the end of your rope, and trying to navigate them back to your base without crashing.

Solar Jetman.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This one has been bugging me for a while now:

It's a late 90s sci-fi strategy game, Windows or possibly very late DOS era, set on a single colonized planet. I think the plot is "oh no, aliens!" of some variety, I think there were just 2 sides, I'm not sure both where playable and it's overall not very memorable (hence, my problem). There's a strategic planetary map view where you decide what to build and where to go fight next and an isometric, grid based view for moving your tanks around in battles. I think both modes are turn based. The focus was very much on the combat.

No, it's not Deadlock or its sequel. This is more tiny pixel tanks, less inter-species relations and catchy hidden music on the disc.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

pinacotheca posted:

Solar Jetman.

Haha yep. Thanks. Now to figure out if this game is truly hard or if my child self just didn't have the coordination.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Baldbeard posted:

Haha yep. Thanks. Now to figure out if this game is truly hard or if my child self just didn't have the coordination.

It's really, really hard.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
I've got one. There's a game that isn't out yet, but had a demo. It's an RPG where you're a kid who gets trapped in another world. There's this flower that makes the kid help it, or help something else, but then the flower tries to eat the kid. A cow lady saves the kid, and she tries to keep the kid safe, and teach the kid how to do puzzles. The kid finds out the cow lady is trying to keep him/her from going beyond some door, and the kid has to fight the lady or try to talk her out of fighting. Then the flower says something ominous and the demo ends.

I know this thing exists, but I can't find it using any of the keywords I can think of.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Doctor Soup posted:

I've got one. There's a game that isn't out yet, but had a demo. It's an RPG where you're a kid who gets trapped in another world. There's this flower that makes the kid help it, or help something else, but then the flower tries to eat the kid. A cow lady saves the kid, and she tries to keep the kid safe, and teach the kid how to do puzzles. The kid finds out the cow lady is trying to keep him/her from going beyond some door, and the kid has to fight the lady or try to talk her out of fighting. Then the flower says something ominous and the demo ends.

I know this thing exists, but I can't find it using any of the keywords I can think of.

Undertale

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
gently caress, that's right, thanks. I kept thinking it must be The Underside, which was a completely different indie game that never came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Xerophyte posted:

This one has been bugging me for a while now:

It's a late 90s sci-fi strategy game, Windows or possibly very late DOS era, set on a single colonized planet. I think the plot is "oh no, aliens!" of some variety, I think there were just 2 sides, I'm not sure both where playable and it's overall not very memorable (hence, my problem). There's a strategic planetary map view where you decide what to build and where to go fight next and an isometric, grid based view for moving your tanks around in battles. I think both modes are turn based. The focus was very much on the combat.

No, it's not Deadlock or its sequel. This is more tiny pixel tanks, less inter-species relations and catchy hidden music on the disc.

Could be one of these.

I really sucked at Fallen Haven.