Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Whenever we bring up a new set of lines to our PBX we have to test 911 functionality. Dialing 911 or 9911 has to ring emergency services so we get to call them twice. They always sound grumpy when we do it, but it's better than a false alarm.

You can just dial 912, the test number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You can just dial 912, the test number.

I thought that was 911 for rich people.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Trastion posted:

Not a ticket but...

I just got an email from glassdoor with some new "Systems Administrator" jobs in my area. One of them stands out a bit though.

I think I may apply for that one, I think I have the required experience down.

None of those are really System Admin job but that is to be expected from glassdoor, at least in this area.

I have a side business listed on my resume with my job title as Sole Proprietor. Amazing how many triggers I get for that one that show up in my inbox for "Truck Drivers Wanted! Owner/Operator"

Sixty cents per mile!

911 is a joke in your town.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2014

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I've only ever seen one phone system install that did the smart thing and used 7 to get an outside line.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Truth. Much less annoyed than an officer who has to show up.

Ugh, wish I'd known this back when I worked IT in the 513 area code. Same deal, 9-1-(skipped a 5)-1-... Oh poo poo it's dialing hang up and try again. The officer who showed up was not at all happy about it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I have a side business listed on my resume with my job title as Sole Proprietor. Amazing how many triggers I get for that one that show up in my inbox for "Truck Drivers Wanted! Owner/Operator"

Sixty cents per mile!

I sometimes daydream about being a truck driver instead of a cubicle monkey.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

I sometimes daydream about being a truck driver instead of a cubicle monkey.
Cool, a moving cubicle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KoRMaK posted:

Cool, a moving cubicle.

At least you get to blast whatever music you want.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

KoRMaK posted:

Cool, a moving cubicle.

We need moving cubicles.

Actually we need cubicles with hydraulics and rims.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

We need moving cubicles.

Actually we need cubicles with hydraulics and rims.

Spinnas on my server

The compile stopped but the fans keep spinnin'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I imagine it turning into something like The Cube

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

waffle iron posted:

I've only ever seen one phone system install that did the smart thing and used 7 to get an outside line.

We use 8. Anything wrong with 8, other than that it's next to 9?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

skipdogg posted:

Whenever we bring up a new set of lines to our PBX we have to test 911 functionality. Dialing 911 or 9911 has to ring emergency services so we get to call them twice. They always sound grumpy when we do it, but it's better than a false alarm.

I used to be a 911 dispatcher. I started here in L.A. about two weeks before the riots. Whoops!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or you can have the number for your emergency services not be 911 :smug:

Speaking of voice, where I work users have developed the tendency to type out what they hear when they have issues with phone calls, mostly when they don't speak English as a native language. I now have to deal with tickets where I have to troubleshoot gems such as "When I call to $country I hear kla kla kla, especially when they use small voice". The kla kla kla can be replaced by phu phu phu or plok plok plok.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A self-evaluation came in

It's due tomorrow. This is the first we saw it (about an hour ago). They sent them out at least at the beginning of the month. I'm done with work today and I'm off tomorrow. Cool!!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

No matter what your emergency numbers are someone will dial it by accident. Also someone will configure the outside line on the PBX to the first digit.
Where I live the emergency number is 111, and it is about 49% of phone systems I see it is configured to dial 1 for an outside line, 49% are 9 the other 2% are another digit.

I also have a feeling that dialing 911 also gets you to the emergency number after too many people watching too many US TV shows were dialing that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

It's due tomorrow. This is the first we saw it (about an hour ago). They sent them out at least at the beginning of the month. I'm done with work today and I'm off tomorrow. Cool!!

"Subject's performance continues to be exemplary in all categories. Recommend 20% raise."

That was easy.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

A ticket went out...

Our extensions at work are ringing with calls from themselves. That is, ext 827 will get calls form 827, randomly. If the line is picked up, it is dead. If it goes to voicemail, it's empty and about 3 seconds long.

This is happening with every extension.

It really sucks for me because I work from home. My work phone will just start ringing at like 2am. I've taken to unplugging it at night.

I asked our IT guy what's up, and he said it's a "hacking attempt" on our PBX system.

I think that's bullshit, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone have any idea?

What type of phone and phone system?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

What type of phone and phone system?

Polycom Fonality phones on some sort of PBX is all I know.

This may not be specific enough to help. Phones aren't my thing =\

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to be a 911 dispatcher. I started here in L.A. about two weeks before the riots. Whoops!

I'm a sysadmin for "911" (Ok, only EMS, but still).
All the joys of on-call and the added knowledge that if I gently caress up people might actually die. :thumbsup:

I love it though, quite unironically.
Used to be a volly EMT-B so I know a few of the dispatchers and know the systems from both sides (protip: they suck).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Every system I've ever worked with has used 0 to get an outside line. :confused:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

We use 8. Anything wrong with 8, other than that it's next to 9?

I don't think 8 is any worse. And there is a 50% chance it was 8 in old job I'm thinking of. My memory is poor. The only reason the system wasn't 9 was because it was a federal government office and all 911 usage would also page the Federal Protective Service officer and he didn't like false alarms.

Collateral Damage posted:

Every system I've ever worked with has used 0 to get an outside line. :confused:

Are you in the US? Because just about every phone system uses 9. Probably because 0 in the US system is a collect call.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Its so we never forget :911:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Speaking of voice, where I work users have developed the tendency to type out what they hear when they have issues with phone calls, mostly when they don't speak English as a native language. I now have to deal with tickets where I have to troubleshoot gems such as "When I call to $country I hear kla kla kla, especially when they use small voice". The kla kla kla can be replaced by phu phu phu or plok plok plok.
Is this their attempt at typing out some kind of tone, or are they just racist and putting in tickets like "When I call China all I hear is 'ching chong ching'"? Because the second one's more of a personal problem.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sprechensiesexy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

Absolutely!

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:

ConfusedUs posted:

Polycom Fonality phones on some sort of PBX is all I know.

This may not be specific enough to help. Phones aren't my thing =\

I had the same problem with my Fonality system at work (Oh god nobody buy these pieces of poo poo), it was indeed hacking. As soon as we locked down the external IP addresses that could access it the problem went away. Only permit Fonality's VPN tunnels and any IP addresses on your local LAN or any IP's from branch offices to communicate with the PBX.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

myron cope posted:

Is there no "it's a trap" emote? Because there should be.

Self reviews are tools for lovely bosses who don't actually keep track of their employees, and used to guilt honest people into admitting they're not giving 100% at a job. Nobody actually works 8 hours a day every day unless they're micromanaged and/or overloaded and one poo poo day away from burning out, and most competent people (especially young ones) have Imposter Syndrome in some form and are super likely to self-sabotage on these things.

/rant

Anyways, you did fantastic and need a 20% raise.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
ah, program upgrade does not actually upgrade but install a new version. old version still installed. conflicts, errors & crashes -> tickets.

...good thing that I used system center to install, so now I can uninstall both and start fresh. no program -> more tickets.

"yeah, we're using a centralized system to install all of our software, it'll take a couple of hours". -> :stare:

thank god it's friday.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Are you in the US? Because just about every phone system uses 9. Probably because 0 in the US system is a collect call.
Ah that makes sense then. And no, I'm in europe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Knormal posted:

Is this their attempt at typing out some kind of tone, or are they just racist and putting in tickets like "When I call China all I hear is 'ching chong ching'"? Because the second one's more of a personal problem.

There's a "different tones from different" countries post i've seen around that actually has some of those examples on, so i'd assume the former. If I find it again i'll post it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

Self reviews are tools for lovely bosses who don't actually keep track of their employees, and used to guilt honest people into admitting they're not giving 100% at a job. Nobody actually works 8 hours a day every day unless they're micromanaged and/or overloaded and one poo poo day away from burning out, and most competent people (especially young ones) have Imposter Syndrome in some form and are super likely to self-sabotage on these things.

/rant

Not always. They can be used as a tool to confirm that an employee is self-aware and trying improve themselves. If they put "Everything is perfect, nothing is wrong" but you as their manager know that they have several problem areas, that can be cause for concern.

Cruddy managers that don't have their own evaluations of their employees as well as the self evaluations, yes, I can see that as a problem.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's a "self-appraisal", and I have to list two strengths and two areas I want to improve, and come up with an "action plan" on how I am going to improve. It's apparently the first time the company is doing these, I guess normally they just do an evaluation with your supervisor (which as far as I know is still going to happen, this is in addition to it)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For the areas you want to improve just list some certs you'd like the company to pay for, and a salary increase.

That counts, surely?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Caged posted:

For the areas you want to improve just list some certs you'd like the company to pay for, and a salary increase.

That counts, surely?

We've been doing self-evals for years and years and each time I put down new tech I want to learn, certs or classes I want the company to pay for and promotions I want to work towards.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Just remember that banging the CEO's 18 year old daughter might not be the best goal to put down. Not that you shouldn't strive to meet that goal though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ursine Asylum posted:

/rant

Not always true. My current boss requires a modest self-eval that's both a brief retrospective of accomplishments in the past year and most importantly a plan for what I want to do in the coming year.
He will also have a lot of input and will have done his own homework on it, both evaluating how well I accomplished my stated goals for the passing year and helping develop a future plan.
Then we move on to my specific critique of the company and suggestions of what to improve and some very candid talk about our professional relationship and what I appreciate and what I would like more of from him.

It's actually a really fantastic arrangement.

A manager that asks for a self eval just so that they can say YEP LOOKS GOOD and file it away is a dick.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Yeah, mine has been pretty good about putting in effort over the evals, will talk about what you put down on yours, and work on a plan for advancement and whatnot based on what you put down as your strengths, where you want to improve, and what your goals are. Really, there's nothing wrong with self evals, just the same thing that plagues any other management tool; lovely bosses.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mattress Man posted:

I had the same problem with my Fonality system at work (Oh god nobody buy these pieces of poo poo), it was indeed hacking. As soon as we locked down the external IP addresses that could access it the problem went away. Only permit Fonality's VPN tunnels and any IP addresses on your local LAN or any IP's from branch offices to communicate with the PBX.

That seems like a pretty silly thing to "hack". What are they trying to accomplish?

Anyway, I'll pass this along. Thanks!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ConfusedUs posted:

That seems like a pretty silly thing to "hack". What are they trying to accomplish?

Anyway, I'll pass this along. Thanks!

Well if you can get control of the box then you can route your pyramid scheme / lottery / whatever scam calls through it. Kind of like compromising an email server to send spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

rolleyes posted:

Well if you can get control of the box then you can route your pyramid scheme / lottery / whatever scam calls through it. Kind of like compromising an email server to send spam.

Couldn't you use it to place calls to (your own) expensive phone numbers and rake in the cash that way?

• Locked thread