Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Why do you want to get on your families plan? Simple answer leave them alone, buy a moto x directly for 380 sign up for Aio (ATT service) for $40 a month.

I'm open to other plans as well, I just figured the family plan would be cheaper. I've never heard of Aio, but looking quickly it looks like $50 for 2.5GB which looks like not as good a deal as $45 for 3GB on my family plan (if I can in fact get that).

Edit: I also realize my pricing is a bit different since I'm only counting the costs I ADD to the family plan, not costs plus my share of the base plan. That's the reason for the family plan, my family just told me I'll pay whatever I add to the plan.

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

Mom said not to run down the escalator. I hate it when Mom's right.

gman14msu posted:

So I'm currently on Sprint but want to get on my family's AT&T plan. I'd like to get a Moto X, either buy one on my own for $380, or get one with a 2 year contract (AT&T brick and mortar said $150, online says $100). The NEXT plans kind of freak me out since the AT&T store pricing is way over the Motorola store ($530!) and you don't even keep the phone at the end if you take advantage of the benefit and upgrade.

Grand Total $192.70

So it looks like I have several options:

1. Get the Moto X on a 2 year contract for $100, then add a line to my family plan which I believe is $45 or $55, for 3GB of data. 2 Year cost: $1,180-$1,420
2. Buy the Moto X on my own for $380, then add a line to my family plan for $45-$55 (the guy in the store said no discount for bringing my own phone). 2 Year cost: $1,460-$1,700
3. Switch my family's plan to some kind of mobile sharing with 10GB, $40 per smart phone on contract (2), $15 per smart phone off contract, $100 for data = $195 + (Whatever would happen to the dumb phones)

Basically I'm looking to know if my assessments of my first 2 options are correct, and some more information on the costs for my 3rd option.

If their contracts were started prior to February 2, they can get the $15/smartphone pricing on their plan if they switch to a 10GB mobile share plan. You would be looking at:
Data: $100 - 19% discount you listed above = $81
3 Smartphones: $45
2 Dumbphones: $30
Total: $156 + tax (I'd estimate around 15% tax so $180)

Moving forward, the rate plan will increase if they upgrade another phone with a contract, or they can pay retail/do Next. The cost of going on contract (line goes from 15/mo to 40/mo) doesn't make sense so they would want to go retail/Next.

edit: Technically you're reducing your family plan's cost by going to 10GB share plan until they decide to get new phones. Maybe you can walk away not paying for cell service here?

edit2: Prepaid networks generally either don't allow roaming or give your data lower priority. If you have excellent coverage in 100% of areas with the major network (Aio is AT&T) then you'd probably be okay, but if the network gets congested you're the first to suffer.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Lethanialist posted:

Data: $100 - 19% discount you listed above = $81
3 Smartphones: $45
2 Dumbphones: $30
Total: $156 + tax (I'd estimate around 15% tax so $180)
The pricing looks good for the family as a whole obviously, there's just increased costs when we need 2 new smart phones, although that would still likely be less than what we would pay if I was just added (edit: maybe not). To be honest though, since I'm changing around the plan so much I would just offer to pay for my share of the smartphone and data totaling $42 so it's not a huge savings for me.

If I go through the website to add a line to the family talk plan, I can get a Moto X with a 2 year contract for $100 and add a line for $9.99 and add DataPro Personal 3GB for 4G LTE Smartphones for $30 totaling $40 per month. Does that sound correct?

quote:

Moving forward, the rate plan will increase if they upgrade another phone with a contract, or they can pay retail/do Next. The cost of going on contract (line goes from 15/mo to 40/mo) doesn't make sense so they would want to go retail/Next.

Whereas if they were to stay with their current plan they could re-up on a contract as they've been doing for a while? They are the type to be totally content with being on contract so this may be a sticking point. I'd rather avoid explaining Next and the benefits of being off contract to several people, particularly when in their situation a contract is probably fine if not the best option.

I may just shoot out an email to the family giving both options and saying I don't care between the two. But I'll probably wind up signing a 2 year contract, getting the phone for $100, and paying the $40 per month increase in the bill.

I've never really had a problem with being on contract for 2 years. Is this a stupid plan these days or does this actually make sense in my circumstances?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I switched plans a few days before this 10GB deal appeared. When I try to switch now, the site claims I am on the only plan available to me.

I suppose there is a limit on how frequently you can switch plans, but would customer service make an exception in this case if I ask nicely?

I had this exact same thing happen to me, except I was on the 6GB Mobile Share Value plan. All I had to do was call and ask for it to be switched. Only took a few minutes and it was pain free.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gman14msu posted:

I'm open to other plans as well, I just figured the family plan would be cheaper. I've never heard of Aio, but looking quickly it looks like $50 for 2.5GB which looks like not as good a deal as $45 for 3GB on my family plan (if I can in fact get that).

Edit: I also realize my pricing is a bit different since I'm only counting the costs I ADD to the family plan, not costs plus my share of the base plan. That's the reason for the family plan, my family just told me I'll pay whatever I add to the plan.

Aio gives $5 off per month if you sign up for auto pay also they give you a free month free. Also Aio charges no taxes/fees so it's likey much cheaper. My favorite thing about prepaid is there is no way for a book to get or if control (rouge app or something). A scam has started recently where a specific phone will call to hang up after one ring. If you call back you get charged 45 cents per minute.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lethanialist posted:

edit2: Prepaid networks generally either don't allow roaming or give your data lower priority.

This bears repeating. There are large swaths of the country where AT&T and its roaming partners (primarily T-Mobile) fill in sizable gaps in each other's coverage.

Aio doesn't roam, period. No voice, no data. Leave the AT&T coverage area and you have a brick. Depending upon where you are, the brick zone may be a few miles (the South) or it may be 90% of the state (the West).

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
The wife and I are looking to switch to AT&T from Sprint. We've had Sprint for almost 4 years but we are tired of paying 146/month for only two phones. The service isn't very good either we have LTE in our small city, but if you drive out of the "bowl" its slow 3g or nothing at all. Our main reason for switching is cutting costs where we can.

Would we have to pay our ETF of around $250 up front when porting our number or is that rolled into your next bill? Also I see that online we can get two HTC ones for $0 on a two year contract, would a corp store match that? I know bringing a phone would save us money but we don't have the money for two off contract phones that aren't complete junk.

We don't use a ton of data but we are attached to our phones at home on WiFi so a "decent" phone is a must. I also should get a 19% discount through my job. What would be the best plan of attack here for us to save some money?
I appreciate any suggestions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

The wife and I are looking to switch to AT&T from Sprint. We've had Sprint for almost 4 years but we are tired of paying 146/month for only two phones. The service isn't very good either we have LTE in our small city, but if you drive out of the "bowl" its slow 3g or nothing at all. Our main reason for switching is cutting costs where we can.

Would we have to pay our ETF of around $250 up front when porting our number or is that rolled into your next bill? Also I see that online we can get two HTC ones for $0 on a two year contract, would a corp store match that? I know bringing a phone would save us money but we don't have the money for two off contract phones that aren't complete junk.

We don't use a ton of data but we are attached to our phones at home on WiFi so a "decent" phone is a must. I also should get a 19% discount through my job. What would be the best plan of attack here for us to save some money?
I appreciate any suggestions.

Corp stores can't match the $0 HTC One, plan wise you can go 6GB of data for $80 + $40 + $40 minus 17% off the $80. So $160 - $13.60 = $146.40.

Or 2GB is $55 + $40 + $40 - discount, so $135 - $9.35 = $125.65.

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

Mom said not to run down the escalator. I hate it when Mom's right.

gman14msu posted:

Whereas if they were to stay with their current plan they could re-up on a contract as they've been doing for a while? They are the type to be totally content with being on contract so this may be a sticking point. I'd rather avoid explaining Next and the benefits of being off contract to several people, particularly when in their situation a contract is probably fine if not the best option.

I may just shoot out an email to the family giving both options and saying I don't care between the two. But I'll probably wind up signing a 2 year contract, getting the phone for $100, and paying the $40 per month increase in the bill.

I've never really had a problem with being on contract for 2 years. Is this a stupid plan these days or does this actually make sense in my circumstances?

Yeah, you'd pay $156+tax off contract. Re-upping a contract increases the per-line fee from $15 to $40, or a $25 increase.

Let's look at re-upping 3 lines on contract (the 2 on your plan plus your new one). That will increase your monthly bill by $25 per line, from 156 to 231. Assuming they all buy a subsidized smartphone for $50, here's your 2-year cost breakdown on Moto X:
($50 * 3 phones) + ($36 * 3 activation fees) + (24 * 231) = $5,802 + tax

Going through Next, there are no activation fees and payments are split into 20 payments, but you ultimately pay the full retail of the phone. Here's a 2-year cost breakdown on Moto X with Next:
($460 * 3 phones) + (24 * 156) = $5,124 + tax

Similarly, re-upping all 5 lines puts your plan at $281+tax:
Contract: ($50+36 * 5 phones) + (24*281) = $7,174 + tax
Next: ($460 * 5 phones) + (24*156) = $6,044 + tax

Another way to look at it is the total cost of ownership per phone/line.
Contract cost of ownership: Subsidized price + $25 line increase * 24 months. Moto X is $50 + $600, iPhone 16GB is $200 + $600
Next cost of ownership: Retail price. Moto X is $460, iPhone is $650

edit:
If you add to your current plan which is $169.32 + tax, you'll pay $9.99 + $30 - $5.70 discount, or $34.29. This means your plan would be $203.61+tax.
If I read correctly your family has 2 phones on contract and yours would make 3. 2-year breakdown would be: ($50 * 3 phones) + ($36 * 3 activation fees) + (24 * $203.61) = $5,144.64
You come out about $20 cheaper by switching to a 10GB share plan if we're basing it all on current Moto X pricing. However, you lose unlimited data.

Lethanialist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Beefstorm posted:

iTunes should say something along the lines of "There is updated firmware available." If it didn't say that yet, then it probably didn't happen. Someone feel free to correct me.

Yeah, I have not gotten this message after reformating the phone, but I've also heard about people not getting it and it still working. with the unlock.

So I used a free IEMI checker and it says the phone is unlocked now. Went through the reformat and restore stuff (was connected to the internet), Thought it worked, went to a T-Mobile store to pop in a SIM and it said invalid sim instead of working on the T-Mobile network. The guy used the sim from his phone, so it should have just worked he knew it was a working sim.

Will try reformatting again, but doing it the long way and reformatting as a new phone and clearing out all my data.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 12, 2014

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Ok so I took another look at it plus looked at the timing of the contracts and I got as follows. Let me know if this is correct or I'm leaving anything out, such as what happens when they want to upgrade the two dumbphones:

Option 1. Add a Line
I add a line for myself to the family talk plan for ($9.99) and add 3GB of data for ($30), plus maybe $5 in taxes and fees, $45. So the bill would go from $195 to $240 for everyone and I'd pay the $45 difference each month.

Total: $240

Option 2. Switch to a mobile shared data plan:
10GB of shared data for 3 Smart phones (19% discount applies here) ($81)
$15 per month for each phone off contract ($45)- At&t has a conversion for contracts signed before February 2, 2014, so the two on-contract could get this
$15 per non-smart phone ($30)

Total: $156 +15% Tax = $180 total.

It looks like between the two smartphones, there was one upgrade in August 2013 and one in November 2013. So the $180 rate would be good until August 2015 when one phone comes off contract. Over that time we'd be saving $55 per month over option 1, so $990 total savings between now and August 2015.

Once the contract runs up for the two phones there are 2 possibilities:

They can either get another phone on contract and have the rate per phone go up from $15 to $40 per line. If they both go back on contract, the monthly payment would be $230, still similar to what we will pay under option 1.

Alternatively they can go off contract (which will likely be cheaper) and keep the per device rate at $15 per month by doing one of three things:
1. Buy their own phone estimated at $200-$400.
2. Get a phone on AT&T Next which is like a financing plan that allows a phone upgrade after 12 or 18 months and you make $20-$25 monthly payments for the phone.
3. Keeping their current phone

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Duckman2008 posted:

Corp stores can't match the $0 HTC One, plan wise you can go 6GB of data for $80 + $40 + $40 minus 17% off the $80. So $160 - $13.60 = $146.40.

Or 2GB is $55 + $40 + $40 - discount, so $135 - $9.35 = $125.65.

This doesn't seem like a good deal to me at all. We would lose unlimited data and it would be around the same price. I was looking around and if we get 2 Moto Gs we will recoup the cost in about 6 months.
I wish Tmobile wasn't so crap here they have some of the cheapest plans I've seen. Maybe I'll just keep calling and complaining to sprint for credits.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

This doesn't seem like a good deal to me at all. We would lose unlimited data and it would be around the same price. I was looking around and if we get 2 Moto Gs we will recoup the cost in about 6 months.
I wish Tmobile wasn't so crap here they have some of the cheapest plans I've seen. Maybe I'll just keep calling and complaining to sprint for credits.

Sprint unlimited data means jack if the coverage is that bad (and as you know it is). Unfortunately the only thing you will really find cheaper with two numbers is tmobile or prepaid.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

BrownieVK posted:

I know I'm kind of biased here, but you will get tons better service with AT&T. We have such a higher QoS. Our network kicks sprints rear end. And we won more awards for our customer service. Honestly, if you are getting us for the same price. Drop sprint.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I had Verizon before Sprint, and when people asked me how Sprint was my only answer was "it seems good enough but it's cheaper!" That's as high a praise as I could give them. I then switched to AT&T because I finally got tired of not having speeds faster than 3G in 2013 (LTE just barely arrived a few months ago). It's as Beef said, if the network is bad then what good is unlimited data? If I had a time machine I'd go back in time and switch to AT&T sooner.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 12, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Not to pile on here, but I have Verizon for work and have personally used prepaid and postpaid T-Mo in the past, Straight Talk, Sprint and even AIO. Hell I even tried Republic Wireless (Sprint). Having a Google Voice line is great by the way.

Simply put, AT&T has a superior network in my experience. It rivals Verizon and has faster data in rural areas (3g on Verizon is slow compared to HSPA+).

I hopped around other carriers in the past and always come back to AT&T. It's not the cheapest, but cheaper than Verizon with better coverage in my experience.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Alright thanks guys! I'll just suck it up and grab two Nexus 5s when my Sprint contract runs out, seems like I'll be much happier even of its the same price.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

BrownieVK posted:

Alright thanks guys! I'll just suck it up and grab two Nexus 5s when my Sprint contract runs out, seems like I'll be much happier even of its the same price.

Having just switched 3 lines from Sprint to ATT, believe me you'll be happier. The network is so much better. I was a little skeptical about not having unlimited data, but that hasn't been a problem for me. The most I ever used on Sprint was 6-7Gb.

I can use my phone in my house without an airrave, which didn't work that well. Plus I can actually use the internet on my phone. That alone is a big plus for me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I have not gotten this message after reformating the phone, but I've also heard about people not getting it and it still working. with the unlock.

So I used a free IEMI checker and it says the phone is unlocked now. Went through the reformat and restore stuff (was connected to the internet), Thought it worked, went to a T-Mobile store to pop in a SIM and it said invalid sim instead of working on the T-Mobile network. The guy used the sim from his phone, so it should have just worked he knew it was a working sim.

Will try reformatting again, but doing it the long way and reformatting as a new phone and clearing out all my data.

To follow up on my story, finally unlocked the phone.

I have no idea what I did differently but I restored it about 4 times.

-Did the "Restore from backup" option in iTunes
-Restored the phone to factory settings, then restored from backup on iTunes
-Restored the phone to factory settings on the phone, set it up as a new phone.
-Restored the phone to factory settings on iTunes but before restoring my phones previous settings.

That last time seemed to do it, as I finally got the unlocked message. What a really ridiculous process

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Just checked my HTC ONE for the KitKat update and instead of the standard "Your software appears up to date" message it says "your device will automatically check for an update within the next 48 hours."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Out of curiosity, why am i being charged for texts from google voice over wifi? Voice is not sending me texts via att SMS, Voice is set to never text me SMS alerts and this is the first month ive ever been charged for texts over it not to mention all 6 of them were done while i was covered by wifi.

Ive been using Voice to take care of my lack of text option, so whats changed with ATT thats causing me to get charged 20 cents per now?

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Out of curiosity, why am i being charged for texts from google voice over wifi? Voice is not sending me texts via att SMS, Voice is set to never text me SMS alerts and this is the first month ive ever been charged for texts over it not to mention all 6 of them were done while i was covered by wifi.

Ive been using Voice to take care of my lack of text option, so whats changed with ATT thats causing me to get charged 20 cents per now?

Are you sure google isn't forwarding the texts to your cell number?

Also what plan on you on? If you are using a smartphone without texting, you are probably on a weird old plan.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Beefstorm posted:

Also what plan on you on? If you are using a smartphone without texting, you are probably on a weird old plan.

I was on a weird old family plan for a while and used Google Voice for texting. As far as I know there was never a problem with extraneous text charges. There is undoubtedly something wrong with the Voice settings if it's dinging your AT&T bill.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

gman14msu posted:

It looks like between the two smartphones, there was one upgrade in August 2013 and one in November 2013. So the $180 rate would be good until August 2015 when one phone comes off contract. Over that time we'd be saving $55 per month over option 1, so $990 total savings between now and August 2015.

Once the contract runs up for the two phones there are 2 possibilities:

They can either get another phone on contract and have the rate per phone go up from $15 to $40 per line. If they both go back on contract, the monthly payment would be $230, still similar to what we will pay under option 1.

Alternatively they can go off contract (which will likely be cheaper) and keep the per device rate at $15 per month by doing one of three things:
1. Buy their own phone estimated at $200-$400.
2. Get a phone on AT&T Next which is like a financing plan that allows a phone upgrade after 12 or 18 months and you make $20-$25 monthly payments for the phone.
3. Keeping their current phone

Can someone confirm that this is correct? Also, my family is concerned about rates changing. If we get on a Mobile Shared Data plan are we locked into the rate of $100 for 10GB and $15 per line off contract and $40 on contract, even after the current phones come off contract in August 2015?

Edit: There's also no reason to make these changes in store correct? It's better and easier to do it online?

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

You won't get an exact answer on it beyond "I don't know" because it's honestly hard to diagnose whether it's google voice or ATT (def check your google voice settings). I use google voice and it always shows me at 0 messages personally, so it shouldn't be charging you.

I would recommend having ATT just block text messages on your account, simple solution and if you use to for picture messaging just use email.

gman14msu posted:

Can someone confirm that this is correct? Also, my family is concerned about rates changing. If we get on a Mobile Shared Data plan are we locked into the rate of $100 for 10GB and $15 per line off contract and $40 on contract, even after the current phones come off contract in August 2015?

Edit: There's also no reason to make these changes in store correct? It's better and easier to do it online?

You will be locked into the rate, ATT is pretty good at grandfathering plans.

Go into the store, you'll be sure to get the plan set correctly, some nice ATT rep will get easy commission and you will help contribute to the growth of the US economy.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Go into the store, you'll be sure to get the plan set correctly, some nice ATT rep will get easy commission and you will help contribute to the growth of the US economy.

This this this 1000% this.

Plus if it is wrong, you have someone to blame

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You will be locked into the rate, ATT is pretty good at grandfathering plans.

Will I still get the $100 new line activation credit in store? Also the $36 activation fee waiver is only for a 2 year contract but is online only?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gman14msu posted:

Will I still get the $100 new line activation credit in store? Also the $36 activation fee waiver is only for a 2 year contract but is online only?

You will still get the $100 credit.

The act fee isn't waived in store unless your work discount waives it unfortunately. Feel free to ask the store if they will waive it or get you some deal for it, sometimes they will sometimes they won't. I can't blame anyone for going for the best pricing and everything.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

gman14msu posted:

Waived activation fees are online only. But honestly, the $36 is well worth making sure it's done properly. It's kind of like paying a guy to do your taxes. Sure you pay a little bit; but you get knowing it's all done right, and a point of contact for the life of your account is well worth it.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Yeah if we switch to the shared data plan, I'll buy a Moto X for $380 and be out of contract. I think the $36 waiver only applies if you get a 2 year contract, not just activate a new line.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beefstorm posted:

I double checked Voice and all the settings are the same as they have always been. texts off, no sms alerts, etc.
Im pretty sure it has to be Voice, or maybe Hangouts.. Hangouts doesnt give me an option to not get SMS alerts, so that actually might be the culprit since i realized all 6 of the incoming texts initally showed up on that first then came through Voice right after.

Im on the Nation 450 plan with no texting and 300 megs of data.

One last thing: When looking at the mobile share plans on the webpage, when i select the 1gig data option, it shows "May be eligible for $15 credit per month" How do i know if im actually eligible? Is the 1gig plan FAN discount eligible?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

grimcreaper posted:

I double checked Voice and all the settings are the same as they have always been. texts off, no sms alerts, etc.
Im pretty sure it has to be Voice, or maybe Hangouts.. Hangouts doesnt give me an option to not get SMS alerts, so that actually might be the culprit since i realized all 6 of the incoming texts initally showed up on that first then came through Voice right after.

Do you use Voice+ on Cyanogenmod, by any chance? That's the only scenario I can imagine that would be sending your Voice messages through Hangouts (I used to do the same thing).

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nimper posted:

Do you use Voice+ on Cyanogenmod, by any chance? That's the only scenario I can imagine that would be sending your Voice messages through Hangouts (I used to do the same thing).

No, im using stock android on a Note 3. The Hangouts thing JUST started happening this month though. Ive never had Voice texts go through Hangouts like they did this month. Might be Google trying to tie in Voice and Hangouts stuff though too. But its not much of a problem at this point, ill just see if i can remove or freeze Hangouts for now and see if it alleviates the problem. Also, i think ill get texts disabled for the account to be on the safe side.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

Im on the Nation 450 plan with no texting and 300 megs of data.

One last thing: When looking at the mobile share plans on the webpage, when i select the 1gig data option, it shows "May be eligible for $15 credit per month" How do i know if im actually eligible? Is the 1gig plan FAN discount eligible?

The 1GB plan is the mobile share value and you would be eligible for the $15 discount if you buy your phone outright. With the plan you have it wouldn't make sense (yet, although I guess we will see if they roll out cheaper individual plans). You pay $60 a month now, the 1GB is $70 and no phone discount.

If you need data up to 3GB for $10 extra a month.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

The 1GB plan is the mobile share value and you would be eligible for the $15 discount if you buy your phone outright. With the plan you have it wouldn't make sense (yet, although I guess we will see if they roll out cheaper individual plans). You pay $60 a month now, the 1GB is $70 and no phone discount.

If you need data up to 3GB for $10 extra a month.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. With texting supposedly being disabled by a chat CS now, upping to the 3 gigs of data might be the best way to go in the long run.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im running into a rather wierd issue.

Trying to add a line to my account to get the free Asus Memo Pad FHD 10 for a family member. When i add it to the cart and add the 250mb Data Connect plan, it pushes me to the ATT business Premier website and kills my cart and wont let me add any tablets. It only lists the Sears, Roebuck and Co. business promos.

Im on the phone with the ATT rep who went into my account and side-by-side did everything i did and gets the same results (keeps booting her tot he Premier site) and is now telling me that i can NOT get the data connect 250 plan thats offered and i am required to go to a Mobile Share plan.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Edit: They put me through to Business Premier and i was told that becuase i have the FAN on my account i am not allowed to shop through the standard consumer website and in order to get the free tablet i must remove my FAN, do the order, and then wait 3 billing cycles and then re-add my FAN or i will have to pay full price for the tablet.

What the hell kind of answer is that?

Gave it one more shot, talking to one of the chat sales reps, and DURING the conversation the tablet is "No longer available in your area."

Final edit: The chat sales rep was immensely helpful, she told me to just sign up as a new customer and put the order through and then merge accounts. She said the $100 bill credit will remain in effect once i merge as well. So overall, im very happy with her help. The Premier CS people could really use someone like her to learn from.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 14, 2014

Jan 1, 2006

Pornhub. XTube. I know these names, better than I know my own grandmothers.
Finally sold a Digital Life :toot:

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sticky posted:

Finally sold a Digital Life :toot:

Lucky you...

Jan 1, 2006

Pornhub. XTube. I know these names, better than I know my own grandmothers.

Beefstorm posted:

Lucky you...

Have a customer we've had on the hook for the last couple weeks supposedly coming in today so I could potentially close another one today. We've sold as a store a collective zero for the month and in the last two days we've closed down 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just got my second digital life out.

Also, I've been slacking on the OP. I'll try and get it updated tonight.