Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm starting to get real mad about retro games.

And by that I mean them constantly getting misplaced or lost in the mail. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

iastudent posted:

I'm starting to get real mad about retro games.

And by that I mean them constantly getting misplaced or lost in the mail. :argh:

Just wait until your $500 shipment of parts that you absolutely needed this week and thus paid a hefty shipping fee for gets detained by customs and you have to wait 30-90 days before they even talk to you.

Not that I have experience with that exact scenario or anything.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

JJJJJS posted:

Just wait until your $500 shipment of parts that you absolutely needed this week and thus paid a hefty shipping fee for gets detained by customs and you have to wait 30-90 days before they even talk to you.

Not that I have experience with that exact scenario or anything.

Yeah, that's a fun little game.

Luckily, my packages were in my neighbor's mail. For the third time in the last week or so.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

iastudent posted:

Yeah, that's a fun little game.

Luckily, my packages were in my neighbor's mail. For the third time in the last week or so.

I never got that. Is there a layer of difficulty to delivering mail that I'm unaware of?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Peenmaster posted:

I never got that. Is there a layer of difficulty to delivering mail that I'm unaware of?

Numbers are hard. :effort:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

shymog posted:

Your TV likely doesn't support RGB via component, but what you need to be concerned about is the TV displaying a 15KHz signal.

Do you have a PS2 (I think slim or original works)? Then hook that up via component to your TV and find some PS1 games. Many (not all) of those run at 240P@15KHz played back this way.

Finally got around to testing this. Kinda. I did learn that both of my ps2's stopped working since I last played them(thin's power supply went out, thick's disk drive)

Both had copies of Contra: Shattered Soldier in them from a Contra party I had.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's a pretty easy fix if the fat's drive just has disk read errors.

Peenmaster posted:

You have to go ring all these doorbells and if one person has to sign for one package you might as well just give them a big stack because you're lazy and don't care about your job.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Heran Bago posted:

There's a pretty easy fix if the fat's drive just has disk read errors.

It's not even spinning up. Blah! Time to order a new power brick, or just get a backwards compatible ps3 since they're cheap now.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

Same with my attempt to look up supergun information. There are a couple of builders on the shmups forums that will quote you around ~$150 for a fully built supergun just how you like it, but I ended up deciding to just get the MAK Strike.

I figured I pay around 85 euros shipped from Germany and all I need to do is supply an arcade PSU which I can get for like 30-40 bucks and I'm all set. And then like another 20 on a controller adapter to fit Neo Geo ports. I wish I could find something that'd take a Saturn controller. I thought about building one to save money too but for like 130-150 dollars total for something nicely manufactured like the MAK Strike versus me spending hours throwing some poo poo together.

I will be begrudgingly ordering a 150 in 1 soon. It has a couple games the 161 doesn't I'd rather play.

(P.S. I want a duke Xbox controller. Please oh please sell me a duke controller.)

The MAK strike is the best I have seen. I ordered one. What do people think if the AES pads vs the Joy sticks?

Saturn pads would be awesome!

All I need now is a 1 slot mvs mobo, controllers, PSU and scart cable to be able to use my 161in1 cart.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Xik posted:

Also, what's the deal with folks that buy Super Famicom RPG's and games with non-trivial amounts of text? Can you all actually read Japanese? Back when ordering from that Japanese site was easy, this thread was full of Super Famicom/Famicom order screenshots.
Personally, I plan on eventually swapping the ROM chips for English translations on some of my more text-heavy Super Famicom games. For all but a handful of titles, it's as simple as soldering and desoldering a chip. I just can't justify spending upwards of $150 on Earthbound or other expensive games. Probably gonna start on this as soon as I finish a few other smallish projects.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Capnbigboobies posted:

The MAK strike is the best I have seen. I ordered one. What do people think if the AES pads vs the Joy sticks?

Saturn pads would be awesome!

All I need now is a 1 slot mvs mobo, controllers, PSU and scart cable to be able to use my 161in1 cart.

If you find any good findins' on arcade PSU's let me know. I was kinda confused by the MAK Strike's usage of a molex power connector on the side though, since I have plenty of extra ATX power supplies lying around I could put to use, but they don't have adjustable 5V like the arcade PSU's. I need to look into this more though because if I can use a computer PSU as a temp solution until I get my cab all out and set up here that would rule.

That said an arcade PSU is like $20 on eBay but i haven't even looked enough to see if those are good enough.

I have a 3rd party Genesis 6 button controller or a couple spare SNES I am thinking about just rewiring but I dunno maybe I'll just be lazy and cheap out and get a Tototek one and use a dualshock with it. I don't really want to use a dualshock ideally but gently caress it. Neo life.

Anyone have experience with controller rewiring for superguns anyway? It looks lovely.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

liquid courage posted:

Personally, I plan on eventually swapping the ROM chips for English translations on some of my more text-heavy Super Famicom games. For all but a handful of titles, it's as simple as soldering and desoldering a chip. I just can't justify spending upwards of $150 on Earthbound or other expensive games. Probably gonna start on this as soon as I finish a few other smallish projects.

Is there a good guide for how to do this?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Man it's pretty weird to go to a retro game store and find exactly what you're looking for, especially when one of the things is a longbox PS1 game. I wanted to play more of Zoom's console stuff after enjoying their X68K games and Phalanx on the SNES. Yesterday I was passing through Tampa and decided to check out an independent retro shop I go to all the time and found Lagoon, decided to go to a really lovely Play n Trade there on a whim and found Zero Divide.

Lagoon is awesome if you like Ys type games (I do), I wish the X68K version would get a fan translation though. Nothing wrong with the SNES version, but they're both quite different.

Zero Divide was a HUGE surprise because I thought an early PS1 3D fighter wouldn't have aged well but somehow this does. I can't wait to try this multiplayer, it's a total blast!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Capnbigboobies posted:

The one thing that really struck me on the AES sticks is just how light they are. So if you're used to a heavier stick it might put you off. This sticks also use a square gate to control the joystick direction so if you're not used to that it may seem weird.

The pads are great unless you plan on playing a lot of fighting games. They'll work but they're not the best for repeated QCFs and the like.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

If you find any good findins' on arcade PSU's let me know. I was kinda confused by the MAK Strike's usage of a molex power connector on the side though, since I have plenty of extra ATX power supplies lying around I could put to use, but they don't have adjustable 5V like the arcade PSU's. I need to look into this more though because if I can use a computer PSU as a temp solution until I get my cab all out and set up here that would rule.

That said an arcade PSU is like $20 on eBay but i haven't even looked enough to see if those are good enough.

I have a 3rd party Genesis 6 button controller or a couple spare SNES I am thinking about just rewiring but I dunno maybe I'll just be lazy and cheap out and get a Tototek one and use a dualshock with it. I don't really want to use a dualshock ideally but gently caress it. Neo life.

Anyone have experience with controller rewiring for superguns anyway? It looks lovely.

Unless I am wrong those ports are wired up with just several switches and a common ground.

You should be able to just remove the encoder chip from a new/SNES/saturn and solder up all the connections to match the pin out and replace the stock cable and connector. When you press the button you are just closing the switches/circuits.

I did the same thing back in the day to make a SNES/nes converter for the Xbox. I just soldered to a bare controller PCB and tossed it into a project box using VGA dsubs as connectors and cabled all the controllers with extra VGA cables I had lying around.

Edit: is there a place to buy the male/female dsubs that the AES uses?

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 14, 2014

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Thanks to this thread I bought an NVidia Shield last weekend and I am loving it. Robert Broglia's emulators work great and the screen is gorgeous - fine enough to get some nice scanlines going. And it also turns the Android port of Jet Set Radio from unplayable to amazing :swoon:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm willing to be the only guy in this thread who will say this, but Jet Set Radio pretty much got murdered for me because of one level, one song.

The song: Guitar Vader - Super Brothers
The level: having to catch dudes and tag them while they're running away from you, I think?

I must've heard this song over and over and over and over for the better part of an hour on the Dreamcast trying to get past it, and finally gave up because 1) the collision detection to get that right was worse than the Meat Circus level of Psychonauts, and 2) that song loving sucks. Like, snap the disc, sucks.

I don't know why it made me so angry, but I'm cool to let it have that power. I just searched for the song on Youtube, and it brought all the hate back.

Man, gently caress that song, and gently caress that level.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

He's a, sweet, soul, brother, he-he's a, sweet, soul, soul, soul.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

kynikos posted:

Is there a good guide for how to do this?

This is the best guide for this kind of stuff: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/category/cartridge/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Man, gently caress that song, and gently caress that level.

You're wrong in both cases but which level are you talking about? There were several "tag the enemy" levels. One took place in a sewer which was fairly straightforward and another in a construction yard, I believe which I recall being super annoying because helicopters would spawn.

No, the real gently caress YOU combination level/song is Dragula and that awful city near the end which is 99% grind rails. You have to know the level inside and out to maintain the highest speed or else you'll fall off a rail and have to gain speed to work your way back up to the top. Meanwhile Rob Zombie's industrial butt metal is playing in the background DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES I SLAM IN THE BACK OF MY DRAG OOO LAAA. The Matrix made that song super popular and loving everyone from 1998-2000 had it on their soundtrack. It was Evanescence WAKE ME UP popular and I wanted to die every time I heard it.

e: It's kind of funny predicting how 10 years from now when you have SNL skits making fun of the aughts you're going to get super dark movie trailers about futuristic vampires in sunglasses with Evanescence and Deftones music playing in the background.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 14, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Well, the last thing I ordered in my little January experiment/relapse finally came yesterday, so have a big ol' haul post retro thread.

They are all good and cool video games except for the Super Game Boy 2 which is a good and cool better Super Game Boy. Every single screenshot in the SGB2 manual is from Pokemon Blue which I thought was funny. The other SFC game is Tetris Battle Gaiden (the best Tetris). Finally got a copy for myself after sending one to my first SARGSS!

THPS2X is a weird Xbox exclusive mashup of THPS1 & 2 with some new stuff. It's kinda cool and was $3 at my local shop so I grabbed it. Otogi 2 is a great action game by From Software and Mister Mosquito is just as weird as it always looked.

Omega Boost is a space robot action game from the makers of Gran Turismo (seriously) and is cool as hell. It has a FMV intro and I love FMV intros. I went on a little Artdink binge with Carnage Heart and Aquanaut's Holiday. Carnage Heart is a cool rear end strategy game where you program robots to fight (there's actually a relatively recent entry for the PSP too) and Aquanaut's is a chill underwater exploration game sorta like Endless Ocean on the Wii but not really. Point Blank is Point Blank, but it also has a really loving weird RPG quest mode which is kinda awesome and I totally didn't expect it to exist at all. Trap Gunner is a fun little two-player game that sorta reminds me of Spy vs Spy on the NES but on a grid and with a lot more anime. Rising Zan is real goofy, has the best theme song in the world and is actually a pretty decent action game for the time. Power Shovel is a minigame collection based around doing things in a power shovel. You probably saw it in AGDQ14. It even has a special controller, Steel Battalion style, but it's stupid expensive (I meant that Steel Battalion style!). Luckily the game is still fun with a regular controller.

And Namco Museum Volume 2 has Galplus, but more importantly, it finally finished my spelling lesson.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

Well, the last thing I ordered in my little January experiment/relapse finally came yesterday, so have a big ol' haul post retro thread.

They are all good and cool video games except for the Super Game Boy 2 which is a good and cool better Super Game Boy. Every single screenshot in the SGB2 manual is from Pokemon Blue which I thought was funny. The other SFC game is Tetris Battle Gaiden (the best Tetris). Finally got a copy for myself after sending one to my first SARGSS!

THPS2X is a weird Xbox exclusive mashup of THPS1 & 2 with some new stuff. It's kinda cool and was $3 at my local shop so I grabbed it. Otogi 2 is a great action game by From Software and Mister Mosquito is just as weird as it always looked.

Omega Boost is a space robot action game from the makers of Gran Turismo (seriously) and is cool as hell. It has a FMV intro and I love FMV intros. I went on a little Artdink binge with Carnage Heart and Aquanaut's Holiday. Carnage Heart is a cool rear end strategy game where you program robots to fight (there's actually a relatively recent entry for the PSP too) and Aquanaut's is a chill underwater exploration game sorta like Endless Ocean on the Wii but not really. Point Blank is Point Blank, but it also has a really loving weird RPG quest mode which is kinda awesome and I totally didn't expect it to exist at all. Trap Gunner is a fun little two-player game that sorta reminds me of Spy vs Spy on the NES but on a grid and with a lot more anime. Rising Zan is real goofy, has the best theme song in the world and is actually a pretty decent action game for the time. Power Shovel is a minigame collection based around doing things in a power shovel. You probably saw it in AGDQ14. It even has a special controller, Steel Battalion style, but it's stupid expensive (I meant that Steel Battalion style!). Luckily the game is still fun with a regular controller.

And Namco Museum Volume 2 has Galplus, but more importantly, it finally finished my spelling lesson.

Fuuuck that's an awesome set of games right there. I've always wanted to complete Namco Museum but so far have only gotten the first one. The Artdink games are great and I've never played Omega Boost but anything Polyphony touches is rad so I'm sure it is. Really pissed I sold my copy of Mister Mosquito along with a whole bunch of other PS2 stuff especially now that I'm trying to own all of ZOOM's console games.

EDIT:

Speaking of hauls I've been forgetting to post the PCE games that have come in recently:

That Xevious is actually Xevious: Fardraut Saga, a re-imagined version of the game developed by Compile for the MSX and PCE. It has actual levels and is really awesome! It also includes a very nice port of the original arcade game.

I have almost every affordable ($30 and under) PCE/CD game I want now, save for JP versions of a lot of the TG16 games I have that don't require reading Japanese (I hate TG16 box art) and a few things I've been putting off. It's almost time to start really working on the Genesis/MD stuff :retrogames:

EDIT2: Might as well post all my PCE/TG16 stuff for context

US TG16 HuCard/CD :barf:

JP PCE CD

JP HuCard random publishers

JP HuCard Hudson

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 14, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Where's the "T"?
:colbert:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Speaking of Jet Grind, what the hell is that one song sampling with the kid yelling? I always got a weird Hitler youth vibe from it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tracking was borked but I got my Everdrive in the mail after all! Woohoo!

Is anyone famliar with NES homebrew? I'm not sure what to try aside from STREEMERZ and ROM City Rampage.
http://www.nesworld.com/homebrew.php
Also what are some good Mario Bros 3 hacks?

I agree with Wise Fwom Yo Gwave that Jet Grind's Sweet Soul Brother combined with the tagging level in the sewers is just awful for inexperienced players. But then there are the Rob Zombie levels...

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 14, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

Is anyone famliar with NES homebrew? I'm not sure what to try aside from STREEMERZ and ROM City Rampage.

Try Blade Buster and the Super Bat Puncher demo.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fooley posted:

Speaking of Jet Grind, what the hell is that one song sampling with the kid yelling? I always got a weird Hitler youth vibe from it.

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs0zrEzWBRI

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

I phrased that weird. I was wondering where the sample of the kid yelling is from.

Scunthog
Jul 22, 2003

d0s posted:

EDIT:

Speaking of hauls I've been forgetting to post the PCE games that have come in recently:

That Xevious is actually Xevious: Fardraut Saga, a re-imagined version of the game developed by Compile for the MSX and PCE. It has actual levels and is really awesome! It also includes a very nice port of the original arcade game.

I have almost every affordable ($30 and under) PCE/CD game I want now, save for JP versions of a lot of the TG16 games I have that don't require reading Japanese (I hate TG16 box art) and a few things I've been putting off. It's almost time to start really working on the Genesis/MD stuff :retrogames:

EDIT2: Might as well post all my PCE/TG16 stuff for context

US TG16 HuCard/CD :barf:

JP PCE CD

JP HuCard random publishers

JP HuCard Hudson

This is great. Ive just ordered my first few PCE/TG16 games and I was planning I doing exactly the same as you with purchasing strategy.

However, I really need to get a control pad extension cable, but all the ones I have seen sell for £20 :retrogames:

Really I should just sit closer to the TV, on a beanbag, to simulate that true retro feel. But that wouldn't cost anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Where's the "T"?
:colbert:

Namcot was the home division. Those are arcade games.

Also, volume 6 is "®".

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ A sixth one!? :aaa:

Scunthog posted:

This is great. Ive just ordered my first few PCE/TG16 games and I was planning I doing exactly the same as you with purchasing strategy.

However, I really need to get a control pad extension cable, but all the ones I have seen sell for £20 :retrogames:

Really I should just sit closer to the TV, on a beanbag, to simulate that true retro feel. But that wouldn't cost anything.

If you have a Japanese one then what you want is a "Apple Mac Mini Din 8 pin Serial MF Extension cable." On your local eBay you could find one for ~£9.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok, I had my thoughts, but now it's confirmed that the buyers on shopgoodwill are idiots.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Box-Only-15506082.html

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok, I had my thoughts, but now it's confirmed that the buyers on shopgoodwill are idiots.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Box-Only-15506082.html

I sold an empty box+Styrofoam for the N64 console last year for $39 on Ebay. The buyer knew what he was getting, he just wanted to complete his set.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, any time they get a whiff of something unique it's like a feeding frenzy. Strange place. But if you want to buy 37 lbs. of random third party PS1 controllers then they have your back.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

Zero Divide was a HUGE surprise because I thought an early PS1 3D fighter wouldn't have aged well but somehow this does. I can't wait to try this multiplayer, it's a total blast!

Make sure you look up the code that lets you play Tiny Phalanx. Best part of Zero Divide, as far as I'm concerned.

What up, Namco Museum owning buddy. :hfive:

I find it hilarious that none of the later Namco Museums have as varied a collection or information as the original six five.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Has anyone ever used one of these? http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0908

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've heard of them but never used one. The primary purpose seems to have been getting a lot more storage for saving your RPG Maker games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fooley posted:

They're saying "Viva Viva La Revolucion." Nobody really knows the origin. There are maybe a dozen songs at least that sample it dating back to 1993 at the earliest.

Hideki Naganuma was probably inspired by the Serial Experiments Lain song Professed Intention and Real Intention which came out about a year before he started working on JSR. But the guy is fluent in English so it's possible he's heard it in other songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykmzNvNXZY

I wouldn't be surprised if it's buried in some kind of open source sound effects library. The sample's pitch is always the same, only the speed is changed in songs.

The only sample that matters in that song is BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE!

e: BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

TUNE IN, TURN ON, DROP OUT

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 14, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

al-azad posted:

They're saying "Viva Viva La Revolucion." Nobody really knows the origin. There are maybe a dozen songs at least that sample it dating back to 1993 at the earliest.

Hideki Naganuma was probably inspired by the Serial Experiments Lain song Professed Intention and Real Intention which came out about a year before he started working on JSR. But the guy is fluent in English so it's possible he's heard it in other songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykmzNvNXZY

I wouldn't be surprised if it's buried in some kind of open source sound effects library. The sample's pitch is always the same, only the speed is changed in songs.

The only sample that matters in that song is BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE!

e: BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

TUNE IN, TURN ON, DROP OUT

Sounds like they were heavily inspired by The Prodigy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uEnPB9Mz18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Tiny cartridge recently sent out a little reward for folks that decided to support them. Part of it was a NES version of an LA Game Space game.

The dev is Rachel Weil who seems to hack up all sorts of stuff for the NES in assembly :allears:.

• Locked thread