Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ageofbob posted:

Bayonetta 2 looks good, maaaybe I should play the first one.

Yes, you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gently caress! They're not giving us a date.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Wii-U is so hosed. It'll be good to get one super cheap next year.

I got a feeling all we've seen for the Wii U is all thats ever going to come out.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Bayonetta 2 looks like more Bayonetta and X looks like more Xenoblade and I'm real :coal: with that.

No new Wii U games other than NES Remix: More NES Stuff is a bummer though.

Oh well.

Fuuuuuuck still a vague "2014" for Bayo 2! :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-X (Wii U) overview; sure looks like an action-RPG.

They said it played like Xenoblade, so it's not actually an action RPG.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I for one am happy about the Jaden Smith cameo in Bayonetta 2.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Pepper posted:

This.

Xenoblade dub owned, it was so very British.

I almost want to start a petition for optional british dub, or just replace American VA entirely

axleblaze posted:

that gameplay vid was a carbon copy xenoblade battle down to the B

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so still only smash, kart, bayonetta, and X, and virtually nothing else till may

goddamn yo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

axleblaze posted:

You can tell from looking that it plays like Xenoblade. It's gonna be awesome. Sucks that it's still so far away as to not even have a release date though.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

JP Direct overview (I missed the very beginning):

-Style Savvy (3DS) update/expansion? Adds AR Card junk, new shop-building features, more dude-related customisation, dates? Out 4/17

It's embarrassing that this is what makes me the most exited, fashion is more important to me that I thought. :blush:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

axleblaze posted:

"Action-RPG" is a euphemism for "boring" in my book, so let me rephrase: it looks boring. Numbers popping out of enemies = no.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bef posted:

I got a feeling all we've seen for the Wii U is all thats ever going to come out.

I just don't get how they can have such a huge assortment of exclusive Nintendo characters (like 600 Pokemon, a billion Mario characters, Samus + the bosses, a wide array of Zelda universe characters, Kirby, Star Fox, etc) and not do all that much with them. Granted what they are doing with them (Smash, Mario Kart, Triple Deluxe) all look fantastic but they could have so much more with the like thousand characters they have.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

-GBA on Wii U VC! A dozen first-party titles announced for release before the end of April, good ones too! 650yen each.
Hahaha of course, and the US is getting...... three. And we'll be lucky if they give us more, ever. NoA has done it again.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If they had the sheer manpower, you bet they would be pushing out a ton of games. They prepared inadequately for HD, though, and it's showing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Still no news on Yarn Yoshi. I really hope Nintendo didn't cancel that game so that a bunch of ex-Artoon devs could make that ugly 3DS Yoshi game instead.

That would be a crime against humanity! :qq:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Raserys posted:

If they had the sheer manpower, you bet they would be pushing out a ton of games. They prepared inadequately for HD, though, and it's showing.
Yeah they prepared for it inadequately in like 2010-2011, there's no excuse at this point. That might be better for the other thread, but yikes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

"Action-RPG" is a euphemism for "boring" in my book, so let me rephrase: it looks boring. Numbers popping out of enemies = no.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NES Remix 2 I'm getting for sure but what a disappointment that they didn't announce anything else. I bet the new Zelda they're making for it will end up coming out on the next system.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Why would action-rpg mean boring in your book (especially when the way you seem to be defining how it looks boring is by something that isn't part of action RPGs)? :confused: Was this just a dumb way of you trying to say it looked boring to you?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I love the vague Spring date for the GBA games.

Watch them miss that mark by months because holy gently caress they still don't have Mario 3 out yet.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

...But... numbers pop out of enemies in Xenoblade too. If anything it looks MORE exciting than Xenoblade because better graphics and giant mecha!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bayonetta 2 has a release window... in Japan. Apparently it's coming this Summer over there, so I'm guessing Fall 2014 USA/EU.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had forgotten about Yarn Yoshi, that looked really fantastic. But christ, everything else is just rehashed poo poo. They need to take advantage of this better tech and create some new titles with their existing IPs. Instead, the current stuff is weak.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Oh yeah I just remembered that SMTxFE is a thing and they didn't give any more info on that. Nintendoooooooooooooooooooooo! :kratos:

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Watch them miss that mark by months because holy gently caress they still don't have Mario 3 out yet.

Come on, when has Nintendo ever hurt us befor- aww... :(

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

"Did we say this Spring? Sorry, we meant NEXT Spring."

And then it comes out in Autumn 2015.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pretty disappointed on the Wii U side of things, sure DKC, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4, Bayo 2 and X look amazing, but those are the same five games i've been anticipating for the last year.

Well, at least the 3DS is getting nice stuff all the time, and watching the new X trailer will pump me full of joy.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
It was announced beforehand that this Direct was gonna focus on games being released in Spring. Nonetheless they showed footage of X and Bayonetta 2, both of which are out later, and people are still complaining?

Why, exactly?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Didn't they specifically say April in the Direct?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

DarkHamsterlord posted:

"Did we say this Spring? Sorry, we meant NEXT Spring."

And then it comes out in Autumn 2015.

Well after they somehow fumbled the release of two loving games (Not like they were good games but hell it ceased Game Gear releases for way too long.) announced back when they did the 'Summer of 8-Bit' thing to a whole year later its hard to put any faith into their puncuality on the Virtual Console. Same deal with those portable Megaman games we should've had by now.

I think Shantae got pushed back like three times for no good reason too.

Point is, they need to seriously fire whomever's in charge of that release schedule because they aren't doing a very good job.

Help Im Alive posted:

Didn't they specifically say April in the Direct?

Not in the US stream.

EDIT: gently caress, Iwata did say april.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 14, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dunban posted:

It was announced beforehand that this Direct was gonna focus on games being released in Spring. Nonetheless they showed footage of X and Bayonetta 2, both of which are out later, and people are still complaining?

Why, exactly?

Because of the four upcoming Wii U games with any sort of excitement behind them, that's two of them and they're a long ways off?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Dunban posted:

Why, exactly?

People get excited and hype it up thinking what could be announced and then get disappointed. It happens every nintendo direct.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Not in the US stream.

I went back and checked just now and Iwata said "We will begin releasing them in Spring starting in April with Metroid Fusion". I was watching the US stream too because the EU one cut out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not surprised or disappointed specifically that this direct didn't announce anything new. But it's pretty dire that they only have 5 major games announced for the next year.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I imagine they'll likely be announcing more games later this year. They said it was a direct for games being released in the spring. I was surprised to see X and Bayonetta, but I guess since they were already announced why not show new content? The spring line up is pretty light for the Wii U to say the least.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dunban posted:

Why, exactly?

Because it still means that they got nothing coming out for the Wii U except for the few games that were pretty much known at launch? I mean, yeah, I guess it goes to reason that there wouldn't be much on the Wii U front because they have nothing going on for that system aside from a few games for like the first half of 2014 but it's still aggravating to have that confirmed.

I mean, hell, two of the games they showed for the Wii U don't even have any form of release date, so if they can show those games that are coming out outside of the Spring, it stands the reason that if they had anything new bone to throw the Wii U at all, they still could have shown something.

I mean yeah at this point it's probably unreasonable to hope that Nintendo is gonna pull this Wii U trouble around any time soon, but it'd be nice to see at least some effort on their part. Lord knows they haven't shown any lately.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not surprised or disappointed specifically that this direct didn't announce anything new. But it's pretty dire that they only have 5 major games announced for the next year.

Eh, it's only February. If we get to E3 and they're basically doing the same lineup announcement, then I'd start to worry (about how much longer they plan on supporting the Wii U at least).

Nintendo's weird in that they tend not to announce games until they're roughly less than six months away from launch, Mario Kart and SSB being the exception as of late.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shelf Adventure posted:

People get excited and hype it up thinking what could be announced and then get disappointed. It happens every nintendo direct.

At least it crashes NeoGAF for a while, that's always a plus.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Seems like the same complaints from the Nintendo fans and Nintendo haters are being brought up again. Look I love metroid fusion but I don't buy consoles based on the old games it can emulate. If nintendo could flood us with new games that meet up to their standards I'm sure they would.
X is a multiyear project that I would be surprised to see this winter. I am going to be surprised by that game whenever it comes out. Third party support still blows on the U as far as this direct shows. Most the games that are not on the wiiu that I want luckily are on steam for cheaper. But I guess blood is in the water for people to hate Nintendo this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'm gonna say, this Direct mostly felt like an attempt of reassurance by Nintendo - showing off new info for titles we already knew about, the promise of GBA games by April, etc. On the one hand, it does allow things to feel as if they're progressing along with the games they're working on, but most of the 'new' stuff is fairly minimal or would require minimal effort - like NES Remix Vol 2. My big hope coming out of this is that when E3 hits, since that'll be clear of the last major release dates we've got for sure (Yoshi, Mario Kart 8, Kirby all come out in May), they'll have incentive to actually confirm things for other games and announce new stuff, but I'm not really certain.

Still, for what we saw, I'm glad. Briefly swapped to the American stream on youtube whilst Ustream was freaking out, but gotta say, I way prefer Shibata to whoever the dude in the blue shirt was.

• Locked thread