Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to rubberbanding in Mario Kart 8 :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Davinci posted:

I got to agree with that dude a page or so back, X looks pretty loving boring.

It's an RPG. I can't think of a single RPG that's super exciting to look at.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Handsome Ralph posted:

If Mario Kart copied anything from Sonic All stars it should be having the game star characters from all of Nintendo's franchises.

Yeah, after playing Transformed I kind of don't want Mario Kart 8 anymore. I want Mario & Nintendo All-Stars.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's an RPG. I can't think of a single RPG that's super exciting to look at.

FF 15? Kind of.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

If only there was another Wii U thread specifically for discussion of Nintendo's business poo poo. I wonder why nobody's thought to create one.

It's this, this is what I'd like to see in MK8. This and Waluigi.

Waluigi has been in a few of the trailers, I wasn't paying close enough attention to this last one to see if he was in it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Hi I'm just going to pop in the middle of this stupid loving conversation that's been had a billion times to say that I'm way excited for Bayonetta 2 and I laughed pretty good when Luka showed up in a loving cowboy outfit, see ya

Seriously, look at this dude

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kirbysuperstar posted:

FF 15? Kind of.

FF15 looks really boring and lifeless

At least in X you got giant mechs shooting lasers

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

yoshesque posted:

Seriously, look at this dude

The main problem with the Bayonetta 2 trailer for me was it reminded me that in the original I hated the plot as much as I loved the actual gameplay. Seeing that dude at all just makes me cringe.

Davinci posted:

I got to agree with that dude a page or so back, X looks pretty loving boring.

Seriously? It looked like Xenoblade with much better visuals and giant rear end mechs. What's not to like?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kingdom Hearts is full of keyblades whipping around and explosions and crazy poo poo. It can be fun to watch

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Seriously? It looked like Xenoblade with much better visuals and giant rear end mechs. What's not to like?

To be fair, Xenoblade is basically a single player MMO. I like that game, but it'll look pretty loving boring if you don't care for that type of game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bef posted:

FF15 looks really boring and lifeless

At least in X you got giant mechs shooting lasers

I don't give a poo poo about FF games and haven't played on since VI, but really? This looks lifeless and boring to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfFbGZ68nI

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Anyone got a link to a video of the entire direct? Or is it on Nintendo's page?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

axleblaze posted:

It's a dude swinging a sword at an unreacting monster while numbers pop out.

Also I haven't played Xenoblade and don't really know anything about it. If it's anything like X looks then any interest I had in Xenoblade has just been killed.

hubris.height posted:

Anyone got a link to a video of the entire direct? Or is it on Nintendo's page?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQg43n2OaM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Davinci posted:

It's a dude swinging a sword at an unreacting monster while numbers pop out.

Also I haven't played Xenoblade and don't really know anything about it. If it's anything like X looks then any interest I had in Xenoblade has just been killed.

The thing is that it's just not an action RPG, so the raction doesn't really matter. It's basically a turned based RPG, but instead of your characters just standing there and waiting to do attacks, you move them around and position them while doing idle attacks and building up to the big spells. It's pretty much a turned based RPG extremely streamlined or an MMO with a system that's fun to use.

I mean, I guess that sort of thing isn't for everyone but for what it is it's pretty much the height of the genre.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

axleblaze posted:

I don't give a poo poo about FF games and haven't played on since VI, but really? This looks lifeless and boring to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfFbGZ68nI

I don't remember it looking like that but there's something about the ambiance i'm not feeling. It looks cool though

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I would like Final Fantasy games to stop being the Serious Adventures of the Cool Hair Krew, but I suppose that is a conversation for a different thread.

X looks good, but I still haven't finished Chronicles, so what's the point?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

zenintrude posted:

I would like Final Fantasy games to stop being the Serious Adventures of the Cool Hair Krew, but I suppose that is a conversation for a different thread.

Buy Bravely Default.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

X looks good, but I still haven't finished Chronicles, so what's the point?

Chronicles is just such a large game that it's hard for me to stay focused on it for the amount of time it needs me too, especially because I'm the type of person that feels the need to do sidequests and poo poo. The last time I played it I was determined to just go on to the end of the game because I knew I was at least getting kind of close. Then I discovered that certain sidequests unlocked new branches on your skill tree and that felt like something I should really unlock before going on but I didn't even know where to begin in getting the other ones and rather than figure it out, I just decided to play something else for awhile. It's a really great game adn possibly the best JRPG I've played (at least gameplay wise) but holy poo poo it's the only game I've played that had too much to do.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Buy Bravely Default.

Ringabels hair is pretty cool though, it's an entire "krew" all on its own.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Hi I'm just going to pop in the middle of this stupid loving conversation that's been had a billion times to say that I'm way excited for Bayonetta 2 and I laughed pretty good when Luka showed up in a loving cowboy outfit, see ya

Me too man. I never played the original but after Wonderful 101 I'm sold on Platinum.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axleblaze posted:

Chronicles is just such a large game that it's hard for me to stay focused on it for the amount of time it needs me too, especially because I'm the type of person that feels the need to do sidequests and poo poo. The last time I played it I was determined to just go on to the end of the game because I knew I was at least getting kind of close. Then I discovered that certain sidequests unlocked new branches on your skill tree and that felt like something I should really unlock before going on but I didn't even know where to begin in getting the other ones and rather than figure it out, I just decided to play something else for awhile. It's a really great game adn possibly the best JRPG I've played (at least gameplay wise) but holy poo poo it's the only game I've played that had too much to do.

Don't do all the sidequests, that's madness. Even doing most of them is madness.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gently caress yeah, X looks awesome if you like JRPGS like myself, and Bayo of course. But... What the hell? Thimbleventa? What the hell, Platinum.

Re: XC Sidequests: Do not do them all, you will hate yourself if you try. At some point you just gotta push forward. Restoring the village is (or can become) super grindy, too unless you use a guide.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chronojam posted:

Don't do all the sidequests, that's madness. Even doing most of them is madness.

Do everything in the game and then never touch it again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

gently caress yeah, X looks awesome if you like JRPGS like myself, and Bayo of course. But... What the hell? Thimbleventa? What the hell, Platinum.

Re: XC Sidequests: Do not do them all, you will hate yourself if you try. At some point you just gotta push forward. Restoring the village is (or can become) super grindy, too unless you use a guide.

Fimbulwinter. It's Norse.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

bef posted:

Do everything in the game and then never touch it again

Realchat, if you want to do everything, save it for after you beat it once since you can New Game + it and just stroll around beating the trash out of every encounter that ever gave you trouble. This way you also don't end up way overleveled.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

I wasn't really doing all the sidequest other than the ones that had time limits but the whole skill tree thing just opened up another can of worms that I didn't feel like dealing with at that time.

In general I feel the sidequests were the weakest part of the game. Not the quests themselves (those were pretty standard) but rather the way the game handled giving them out. The world is just so big that it's really easy to miss talking to people and when you factor in that some characters are only there at certain times it becomes almost impossible to really keep track of what you're missing. It's also a giant pain to find a character again after completing a sidequest and after awhile I just looked up online where and when a character would be because searching those towns from top to bottom just sucked, especially considering that, once again, that people appeared at certain times.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, after playing Transformed I kind of don't want Mario Kart 8 anymore. I want Mario & Nintendo All-Stars.

That Rosalina in Smash Bros trailer a few months back seemed like it was cutting open a lot of wounds and dumping salt in them with the "Kirby Air Ride 2/KIRBY'S IN MARIO KART 8/ Oh it's just Rosalina in Smash." bait and switch trick. It was a neat announcement, but the drat things they lead with would have been so much better than what the actual trailer was for.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno why Nintendo won't take a page out of Sony's book and develop more titles that are on both Wii U and 3DS, like Smash. Even if they're lovely rear end ports. Sony's got a Sly Cooper game you can play on PS3 and Vita, and you can start the game on one and finish it on the other. It doesn't make sense that Nintendo isn't trying to get their titles on both platforms and sell to more people. Yeah, I get it, it costs more money, it's not that simple, it takes time and resources, yadda yadda the fact is, Sanzaru did it for Sly Cooper. And Sanzaru is not a behemoth studio. It just doesn't make sense to me.

e: Like the first thing I thought when I saw Mario Golf was "why isn't this also on Wii U? The system has nothing to offer for sports fans other than 3/5ths of Wii Sports." And wouldn't Kid Icarus fit on the Gamepad pretty well?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 14, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno why Nintendo won't take a page out of Sony's book and develop more titles that are on both Wii U and 3DS, like Smash. Even if they're lovely rear end ports. Sony's got a Sly Cooper game you can play on PS3 and Vita, and you can start the game on one and finish it on the other. It doesn't make sense that Nintendo isn't trying to get their titles on both platforms and sell to more people. Yeah, I get it, it costs more money, it's not that simple, it takes time and resources, yadda yadda the fact is, Sanzaru did it for Sly Cooper. And Sanzaru is not a behemoth studio. It just doesn't make sense to me.

e: Like the first thing I thought when I saw Mario Golf was "why isn't this also on Wii U? The system has nothing to offer for sports fans other than 3/5ths of Wii Sports." And wouldn't Kid Icarus fit on the Gamepad pretty well?

I think the problem is the difference in harware. The Vita is weaker than the PS3 but not by much but the Wii-U is WAY more powerful than the 3DS. Any cross game would have to be something that isn't really pushing the Wii-U at all. However, they could pretty easily do what Sony is doing is Vita and PS4 and only really have cross play through the smaller indie games. Of course even then Nintendo has the problem of not having a proper account system to handle that.

For the record I would love Kid Icarus on the Wii U because I wanted to like that game but I found the controls to simply be terrible and it sort of ruined the whole thing for me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I think the problem is the difference in harware. The Vita is weaker than the PS3 but not by much but the Wii-U is WAY more powerful than the 3DS. Any cross game would have to be something that isn't really pushing the Wii-U at all.
I don't think pushing the limits of the Wii U hardware is something that really matters at this point, as much as actually having games for people to buy. With Nintendo's general art direction and aesthetics, you can render the game at a native HD resolution without even retouching or remodelling the assets and it probably would still look fine... like those Wind Waker Dolphin comparison shots. They're not exactly shooting for realistic gritty visuals. They've always been about vibrant colors and abstract textures and materials and plasticy looking playgrounds.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Dammit Nintendo just tell me when X is coming out thats all I want.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I would love the idea of cross play but it seems like that's the kind of thing you'd need to design the hardware for before release.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Rad Valtar posted:

Dammit Nintendo just tell me when X is coming out thats all I want.

2014 :thumbsup:

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Hakkesshu posted:

To be fair, Xenoblade is basically a single player MMO. I like that game, but it'll look pretty loving boring if you don't care for that type of game.

I don't care for that type of game at all and Xenoblade blew me the gently caress away, so results may vary! :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just a mention, it's probably not worth putting in the other thread. So far what we know about GBA on Wii U...

America is getting these three games in April:

quote:

Metroid Fusion
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Yoshi's Island

And Japan is getting these games in April:

quote:

Metroid Fusion
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
WarioWare
Wario Land 4
Golden Sun
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Advance Wars
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Mario Tennis

Any mention of what Europe's getting?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Quest For Glory II posted:

Any mention of what Europe's getting?

Same as America.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
That part of the Direct was the same for Europe and the US.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why is Japan getting GBA Mario World on the Wii U? Don't they already have SNES Super Mario World? I'm jealous that they already have Golden Sun and Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap announced.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spacebump posted:

Why is Japan getting GBA Mario World on the Wii U? Don't they already have SNES Super Mario World?

Guess they think certain people will double dip, or buy if they haven't already, for the handful of changes between versions like Luigi being playable for player one and having different stats to Mario.

I'd probably buy Super Mario Advance 4 despite having Super Mario Bros. 3 in Wii Mode if it had the e-reader levels/items unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'd probably buy Super Mario Advance 4 despite having Super Mario Bros. 3 in Wii Mode if it had the e-reader levels/items unlocked.

As awesome as that would be as there are some real gems of levels in there, this is still Nintendo. Of course it won't.

Hell, they'll probably even go all the way and release the European version, which has all e-Reader content carefully dummied out because the e-Reader never came out over here.

• Locked thread