Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I probably would have localized it as "Super Varsity" or "Ultra Varsity" or some other over-the-top adjective. (And yes, I know the etymology of varsity, but it's pretty much associated with high school these days, at least in the States.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Maybe some variety of "black-hearted" could have worked if one wanted to preserve the black/white thing (arguably a good idea), although maybe that just veers too far into the other direction, being melodramatic to the point of silliness. But, heck, anything to avoid making the culprit sound like a delicious Cajun-style fish dinner. :chef: As for "Ultimate", eh, I guess that's okay. There are a lot worse ways that could've gone (Super Duper...), but it would be nice to have some kind of reference to school in there.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Maybe some variety of "black-hearted" could have worked if one wanted to preserve the black/white thing (arguably a good idea), although maybe that just veers too far into the other direction, being melodramatic to the point of silliness. But, heck, anything to avoid making the culprit sound like a delicious Cajun-style fish dinner. :chef: As for "Ultimate", eh, I guess that's okay. There are a lot worse ways that could've gone (Super Duper...), but it would be nice to have some kind of reference to school in there.

Heck, maybe Ultimate High School would have worked.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Paracelsus posted:

When I hear "blackened" what comes to mind is spicy breaded catfish.

I think if we just called the murderer "the catfish", that would actually sound better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bifauxnen posted:

I think if we just called the murderer "the catfish", that would actually sound better.

I know you're trying to be funny, but considering that Monobear is a bear and is sort of preying on the students, that's actually not a completely ridiculous idea. :v:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Heck, maybe Ultimate High School would have worked.

I'd probably go with "Prodigy", myself.

The problem with SHSL is the "high school" reference point contained within the descriptor.

Some of the more technical descriptors (neurologist, as one big example) get a bit silly when you consider that the practitioners are supposed to be better than most adults in their fields. "Good for a high-school student" doesn't really seem to do it justice.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd probably go with "Prodigy", myself.

The problem with SHSL is the "high school" reference point contained within the descriptor.

Some of the more technical descriptors (neurologist, as one big example) get a bit silly when you consider that the practitioners are supposed to be better than most adults in their fields. "Good for a high-school student" doesn't really seem to do it justice.

I think that's part of the joke.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I don't understand why they couldn't have just said innocents and culprit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Apollove posted:

Ostensibly to keep with the black and white theme of the black and white bear.

Also, I feel absolutely terrified attempting to discuss this in front of the translators themselves, but when I tried to translate "Kuro" myself on some other project, my research indicated that it originated as police slang. Presumably it entered the common parlance at some point, but it means something like "perp".

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Apollove posted:

While not exactly black and white, couldn't they have gone with "light and darkness?"

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

Ostensibly to keep with the black and white theme of the black and white bear.

Also, I feel absolutely terrified attempting to discuss this in front of the translators themselves, but when I tried to translate "Kuro" myself on some other project, my research indicated that it originated as police slang. Presumably it entered the common parlance at some point, but it means something like "perp".

Well, yes. When I originally approached the kuro/shiro problem I decided trying to do anything in English that keeps the black/white theme going just sounds too awkward in the kind of sentences Monobear uses the terms in. Besides, it's not like the black/white metaphor isn't already in your face with Monobear himself, and there's no need to feed the audience with a spoon the way Japanese video game text tends to do far too often to my liking. And so, my conclusion was that having the metaphoric terms is nice in Japanese where they already exist, but the English awkwardness far overweighs the desire to keep the metaphor going. The NIS translators had their priorities the other way around.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

But, heck, anything to avoid making the culprit sound like a delicious Cajun-style fish dinner. :chef:
Maybe they were anticipating making a joke about Hanamura's execution? :fsn:

Bifauxnen posted:

Or call them "the codfish," Captain Hook style.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

They should've gone with "the golden-brown" then. :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Paracelsus posted:

Or call them "the codfish," Captain Hook style.

Before we begin, let me explain the rules of the school trial in simple terms.
Your task is to reason out the identity of the codfish, and vote on who to accuse!
Should you correctly identify the codfish, they alone shall be punished! But if you vote for the wrong person...
Then everyone except the codfish shall be punished, and the codfish shall be given permission to leave the island!

...Before we begin, there is one thing I want to confirm. Is the codfish really one of us?
Of course they are... Our murderous codfish is definitely one of you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, hearing Monobear talk about fish seems comical yet worded in such a way that it could be taken seriously in context.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

Someone mentioned before how "Ultimate Despair" sounds much more reasonable than SHSL Despair, but I think that was the point -- by the time they were adding nouns like Hope and Despair to the title it got de facto ridiculous instead of just sort-of. That's the point where the author wants the reader to think "Okay, now you're just being silly". When all is said and done, don't forget that Dangan Ronpa is a comedy.

While it has a lot of amusing elements to it, I think "comedy" is a bit of a misnomer. I mean Reservoir Dogs had a fair amount of funny moments but I wouldn't call it a comedy.

I dunno what I'd call Dangan Ronpa, really.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Anatharon posted:

I dunno what I'd call Dangan Ronpa, really.
A traumady.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Black comedy.

Edit: V Kumadey. :smugteddie:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 14, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Komaedy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blackened comedy? :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair coming to PlayStation Vita according to the livetweeting NISA event guy

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Volt Catfish posted:

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair coming to PlayStation Vita according to the livetweeting NISA event guy

Announcement here.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Please continue your let's play. Please keep going. I don't want to buy a vita.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Please continue your let's play. Please keep going. I don't want to buy a vita.

Buy a copy of Dangan Ronpa/2 anyways. :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah the only awkward thing here is the English release will prooobably be out before oren/fedule finish, just due to the nature and effort of how this LP works.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
This doesn't change anything, just as there being more complete fan translations for this game online already doesn't change things.

I simply trust your translation more.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
I wouldn't necessarily say that I trust this LP's translation more than any other - I did end up reading another fan translation and finishing the story after all - but I definitely wouldn't want to see this one end. I definitely can appreciate this interpretation and more than that, given that the LP of the first game is why it was localized in the first place, it just feels plain wrong to stop it before it's finished. I'm glad they're finally being brought over to the West, but I think all of us will always have a soft spot for "Super High School Level", 'right?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Honestly I couldn't picture myself playing the first/second game without killing the fun by comparing translations. Especially with the second one, Fedule's made things read so well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

From my own perspective it feels a little crappy to basically discourage a company from publishing niche games like this by decreasing the chances people will buy it. (There are people in this thread and others who said they passed up DR1 because of the LP.)

From a personal perspective I'd like it to finish simply because I'm impatient but I do think it isn't as cut and dry as "well, there are other translations out there so what's it matter?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 14, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The first game is only being localized because of the LP of the first game made it so popular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

The first game is only being localized because of the LP of the first game made it so popular.

That is unarguably true but that doesn't change the fact. To use an example from elsewhere on these forums: Game Center CX was fan-translated by a very talented team of people (and still is being.) When it got an official English release they pulled the torrents for the episodes being given an English release down out of respect for the distributor. It's very easy to argue that the high-quality fansubs put out by the SAGCCX team were responsible for there being enough interest in the product for it to get the release it did.

An LP is not precisely the same as a fansub but in this case it comes incredibly close with them actually translating the product as they LP through it. I'm not going to shake my fist at the LPers if they keep going on with it but I don't think it's at all odd for them to consider stopping the LP even if they are arguably directly responsible for the translation happening.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

OHO. What's going on here, Oren? LPing a domestic game before three month rule? :smugdog:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Geop posted:

OHO. What's going on here, Oren? LPing a domestic game before three month rule? :smugdog:
He's breaking the rules so hard that he's breaking the zero day rule! Where's a mod when you need one?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Geop posted:

We can explain this officer, we swear!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Geop posted:

Geop, you jerk!!! :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please tell me Geop’s modhood is new and I’m not just that clueless.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I hate to poo poo on a joke Serious Mod Post but wouldn't the word "domestic" only apply if he was LP-ing a version of the game from his own region? Or at least even the US/EU region?

(this is a serious question, the intricacies of various words in the English language baffle me)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Platystemon posted:

Both are true.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Color Printer posted:

I hate to poo poo on a joke Serious Mod Post but wouldn't the word "domestic" only apply if he was LP-ing a version of the game from his own region? Or at least even the US/EU region?

(this is a serious question, the intricacies of various words in the English language baffle me)
Yeah, I always figured it to just be based on release date of the game-version itself. I remember the Xenoblade original LP got the go-ahead around the US release, since the EU version had been out for ages before the US got ahold of it :v: Or at least the topic came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, this LP's still more than three months from release. Just in the other direction. :v:

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, it's new. ChipCheezum's also a mod now, and slowbeef decided to look out for his sanity and resigned:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607303

• Locked thread