Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Obviously we need an Acguy Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

tsob posted:

Zaku Amazing would be trash next to the Star Build Strike though. I mean, Yuuki's a good builder, but he wasn't quite on Sei's level even back at the start of the show and Sei has improved a lot in the meantime. It would also make Allan useless if Yuuki were to build his own suit, rather than have Allan build him a new one. And while there's nothing the OP or ED to hint at a new suit, the new suits we've had from it so far have all been involved in filler episodes and not been nearly as evil as people assumed, so I can see them hiding the existence of one final upgrade for each from the OP personally. Maybe a Zaku III Amazing, a Sinanju Amazing or something?

How can you miss the obvious Zaku II Amazing joke.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
He needs a hyaku shiki Amazing so we can see all the weapons completely gold.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

Actually he really needs to have copied the Renato bros and pull out a new machine every fight.

He represents the biggest Gunpla company on the world, they can afford to do that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

The Missing Link posted:

The Sengoku Astray already covers the blinged out weapon spot. Not coincidentally, Nils' first model was a Hyaku Shiki.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ethiser posted:

How can you miss the obvious Zaku II Amazing joke.

Hizack Amazing.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Kshatriya Amazing. Just imagine how much could get bolted on.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SpikeMcclane posted:

Kshatriya Amazing. Just imagine how much could get bolted on.
So, pretty much the Deep Striker? :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Pureauthor posted:

Actually he really needs to have copied the Renato bros and pull out a new machine every fight.

He represents the biggest Gunpla company on the world, they can afford to do that.

It would be kind of ridiculous to expect him to be a master at piloting every single suit in existence just in case they decide to roll out a Crossbones in the last round of a tournament. Although, if there's one person who could and/or should be expected to do that it would be the Meijin, I guess.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Guys. Guys. Guys.

Ball Amazing.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Having a Sinanju Amazing or something would also own. Epyon Amazing? Tallgeese Amazing?

Actually thinking about it a Tallgeese Amazing would own as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AzMiLion posted:

Having a Sinanju Amazing or something would also own. Epyon Amazing? Tallgeese Amazing?

Actually thinking about it a Tallgeese Amazing would own as well.

We've already had a Tallgeese and an Epyon, I doubt they'd use the same design twice.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Heavyarms Custom Amazing? Everything is guns except the skeleton.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ball and Heavyarms Custom also already showed up.

If we're going to be honest, Meijin is not going to switch from the Kampfer Amazing. But when Yuuki inevitably shows up again, who knows!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Heavyarms Custom Amazing? Everything is guns except the skeleton.

Dude, why restrict yourself?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Ball and Heavyarms Custom also already showed up.

If we're going to be honest, Meijin is not going to switch from the Kampfer Amazing. But when Yuuki inevitably shows up again, who knows!

Im going to love Yuuki's reemergence and everyone's faces when they ask him how it felt being the Meijin.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I can't tell if Yuuki is really enjoying roleplaying as Meijin or if the persona is starting to crush down on him.

"A Meijin's objective is always victory" (or something like that) he said, isn't the objective to have fun? I don't even remember him smiling much as meijin either. :ohdear:

It would be cool if he drops the Meijin act when facing Sei and Reiji and just goes back to being all fired up like in Episode 2 and 6.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Obviously we need an Acguy Amazing.

Beargguy Amazing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't tell if Yuuki is really enjoying roleplaying as Meijin or if the persona is starting to crush down on him.

"A Meijin's objective is always victory" (or something like that) he said, isn't the objective to have fun? I don't even remember him smiling much as meijin either. :ohdear:

It would be cool if he drops the Meijin act when facing Sei and Reiji and just goes back to being all fired up like in Episode 2 and 6.

I don't think he enjoys it. The few peaks into his head we've had as Meijin show that he's desperately trying to measure up to this ridiculous standard of absolute perfection: not only winning every battle, but doing so flawlessly and stylishly. Not even Allan, the guy who helped MAKE him Meijin, seems to expect as much out of Yuuki as Yuuki expects out of himself. After the K9 fight Allan's like "Holy poo poo you won you're a loving beast!" and Yuuki's like "No I loving suck I got hit!".

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I feel like Yuuki is trying to get himself fired. Just in a weird way that involves being a giant buzz kill.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just want to see him getting all psyched and shouting "Moeagare" or whatever it is from the original MSG opening again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude, why restrict yourself?

Because you make the frame out of missiles, duh :rolleyes:.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Ball Amazing.

Just the spherical Ball frame (no arms) with hardpoints on all five cardinal directions, aside from the front, and the directions in the box say "start attaching Boosters to these, stop when it starts collapsing under it's own awesomeness.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just the spherical Ball frame (no arms) with hardpoints on all five cardinal directions, aside from the front, and the directions in the box say "start attaching Boosters to these, stop when it starts collapsing under it's own awesomeness.

Oggo Amazing. :colbert:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I could see a Rick Dom Amazing or Rick Dias Amazing. Or just Rick Amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

I could see a Rick Dom Amazing or Rick Dias Amazing. Or just Rick Amazing.

If they're going to be upgrades, then they need something bigger than Amazing. Kampfer Stupendous!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they're going to be upgrades, then they need something bigger than Amazing. Kampfer Stupendous!

Kampfer Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Kampfer Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus.

Kampfer Scrumtrulescent.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That was one heck of an episode to catch up to the series with. I started watching last week because everyone was gushing about GBF in the Gundam thread, and I just watched two characters of my own country be the best single-episode antagonists I've watched in all of Gundam. This show owns.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

That was one heck of an episode to catch up to the series with. I started watching last week because everyone was gushing about GBF in the Gundam thread, and I just watched two characters of my own country be the best single-episode antagonists I've watched in all of Gundam. This show owns.

I'm guessing you meant the Renato Brothers. If so, yay, I found another person of my country in SA, thought it'd never happen.

And yeah, this series is great. It just makes me wonder though, usually Gundam series are heavily market-driven, but try to hide it under a serious, war plot...and they've failed in more than one occasion. This one doesn't even remotely TRY to hide how market-driven it is, in fact it pushes the whole "let's sell Gunpla!" aspect to a truly ridiculous level, it doesn't try to actually put a serious plot behind it so you forget about it being a bunch of half-hour ads...and yet it's far better than many other "proper" Gundam series I've watched (SEED Destiny, AGE, between others).

I guess it's just the writers having as much fun as the viewers are? I dunno, but this is great anyways. Best Gundam series in a long while. Keep it on, GBF. Keep being amazing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We are a rarity among these parts indeed. I've run into like three Arg Goons so far but this is the first time it has been relevant to a discussion. :v:

Let's be honest, on a conceptual level the show is very flat, it is a blatant cashgrab and doesn't try to be more than that. But the execution of BUY OUR GUNPLA as a concept is so well done that it doesn't matter. There is obviously a greater plot going on but I doubt it will approach the quality of G Gundam's. It doesn't need that, though, because it knows what it is and does what it wants to do almost perfectly. With that said, I will be pleasantly surprised if it turns to be deeper, I just don't have high hopes of it happening.

Traditional Gundam series are usually more ambitious but in doing so they have their own issues. The director skews too far from what the execs think that Gundam should be, or the writers think that rehashing characters and plots from the 80's will be just as effective as it was back then, or they just don't know how to keep the obligatory MS battles every episode entertaining with their limited budget.

Yugioh with Gundams has an experienced staff who have apparently been given free reign to do whatever they want and it shows that they love the idea of Gunpla Battlers. Their experience means they know how to mask their budget restrictions and they understand how tired everyone is of the obligatory Gundam/Shonen stories or characters, so they give them interesting twists. Except for China who is still boring even though it does look like they're trying, but they can't all be winners I suppose.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in fiction it doesn't matter if your concept is absolute poo poo or the most Amazing thing ever, so long as your execution is good enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

paragon1 posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in fiction it doesn't matter if your concept is absolute poo poo or the most Amazing thing ever, so long as your execution is good enough.

Good ideas are a dime a dozen, after all. It's easy to come up with a lot of "good ideas" but it takes time and effort to mold them into something good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Good ideas are a dime a dozen, after all. It's easy to come up with a lot of "good ideas" but it takes time and effort to mold them into something good.

The bigger lesson is that when you're writing something explicitly designed to move merchandise, the higher-ups won't give enough of a drat about it to interfere so you can write what you actually want to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also, on the conceptual level it's always a bit awkward to write, "War is hell, now watch this show about our cool and amazing war machines. We also have toys of them!"

Meanwhile Build Fighters' message (aside from the usual Power of Friendship and everything) is "Gunpla is FUCKEN AWESOME so buy more AWESOME Gunpla" and the audience is willing to respond with a 'Hell yeah!'

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The bigger lesson is that when you're writing something explicitly designed to move merchandise, the higher-ups won't give enough of a drat about it to interfere so you can write what you actually want to.

Episodes 13 and 14 literally only exist because Bandai wanted to sell the Hyper Weapon Set and the Meteor Hopper. Similarly, almost all of the main suits were chosen based off if there was an existing HG to modify.

Due to its greater emphasis on merchandise, Build Fighters arguably has more executive meddling than any other Gundam show. But it's mostly little stuff like "hey make a cameo for the HG that just came out".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Luang made it to top 16 and was boss of the week with a suit that doesn't have a kit though. Hope they fix that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Luang made it to top 16 and was boss of the week with a suit that doesn't have a kit though. Hope they fix that.

I'm pretty srue Luang partially made it because they wanted to promote his voice actor since people liked Asemu and they couldn't use anything else from AGE.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Luang likely lost precisely because he doesn't have a kit to sell. And unless they decide it's worth it to make HGUC Abigor, he probably won't ever have one!

:negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

Let's be honest, on a conceptual level the show is very flat, it is a blatant cashgrab and doesn't try to be more than that. But the execution of BUY OUR GUNPLA as a concept is so well done that it doesn't matter. There is obviously a greater plot going on but I doubt it will approach the quality of G Gundam's. It doesn't need that, though, because it knows what it is and does what it wants to do almost perfectly. With that said, I will be pleasantly surprised if it turns to be deeper, I just don't have high hopes of it happening.

I actually disagree with this. There are a lot of themes that run just below the surface other than BUY OUR GUNPLA other than the typical shonen ones, and even if its plot never gets into world shaking chaos I'd argue Build Fighters is a lot deeper than many of the 'serious' Gundam shows.

Back at the very first episode I commented one of of the major themes that is still a driving factor of the show, the idea of doing your own thing rather than following what came before. This theme is the Build Fighters variant on "The oldtypes are making everything suck rear end", and its shown in everything from the choice to have Reiji pilot the Build Strike, China's cotton stuffed Bearguy, the creation of the Star Build Strike and its abilites along with countless other examples.

What makes this theme interesting (at least to me) is that its a very meta theme on the concept of Gundam itself, and one of the telling things about the staff in general. Sei creates a version of the strike (a suit from a show that was a remake of MSG) in an attempt to imitate his father, who piloted the RX-78-2 to second place, and he utterly fails in attempting to be his father, in effect by just trying to do the same thing as his dad he's just making a poor imitation. Its not until he breaks out of the mold, an alternate pilot, a completely new game 'mechanic' that he starts to excel.

Build Fighters has a lot to say about Gundam as a series and in my mind the tournament arc is arguably more interesting and engaging than pretty much any character development in SEED, Victory, Wing etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caros posted:

Build Fighters has a lot to say about Gundam as a series and in my mind the tournament arc is arguably more interesting and engaging than pretty much any character development in SEED, Victory, Wing etc.

Kind of a low bar there.

• Locked thread