Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100730243&postcount=1468

According to a NPD leaker on Neogaf Wii U sold less than 55k in January. Hardly surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

While those were 3-4 notable titles that were announced later in the year, I doubt that they have another 3D World hidden up their sleeves.

Well the new Zelda has been in development for a long while now. It's probably nowhere near done but we'll definitely see a big reveal trailer at this year's E3.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Atomicated posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100730243&postcount=1468

According to a NPD leaker on Neogaf Wii U sold less than 55k in January. Hardly surprising.

Interesting. I wonder how the other consoles did in comparison since January is supposed to be a slow month.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zarron posted:

Interesting. I wonder how the other consoles did in comparison since January is supposed to be a slow month.
The PS4 reportedly outsold Xbox 2 to 1 in the US and 4 to 1 in Europe so in a year we'll probably be seeing a "Is the Xbox One the next Dreamcast" thread.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

I don't necessarily know how much more output they can do. HD development is significantly more time intensive than the old days, studios like Naughty Dog, Bungie or Rockstar come out with games basically once every two years, give or take. Wikipedia lists Nintendo EAD at ~350 employees, Bungie at 350, Naughty Dog at 250. I'm sure Rockstar North is similar. They just can't release anywhere near the number of games needed to support the console by themselves.

Well gee then, maybe Nintendo should have hired more people because unlike Bungie, Naughty Dog, etc. EAD has a lot more than two games on its collective plate at any one time. Hell, we can say based on the fact that they only started viewing this as a problem with the jump to HD that they think that their release of first party titles had been large enough prior to this. And yet it sure as hell wasn't. It wasn't in the N64 era (maybe a year or two of goodness in 97/98 but huge droughts otherwise,) the Cube era or (for "core" gamers) the Wii era. If Nintendo thinks that that is what their first party release schedule should look like then we will probably never be happy with their output levels.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Well gee then, maybe Nintendo should have hired more people because unlike Bungie, Naughty Dog, etc. EAD has a lot more than two games on its collective plate at any one time. Hell, we can say based on the fact that they only started viewing this as a problem with the jump to HD that they think that their release of first party titles had been large enough prior to this. And yet it sure as hell wasn't. It wasn't in the N64 era (maybe a year or two of goodness in 97/98 but huge droughts otherwise,) the Cube era or (for "core" gamers) the Wii era. If Nintendo thinks that that is what their first party release schedule should look like then we will probably never be happy with their output levels.

yup

They've never actually supported a console with their own output, I don't see where the surprise is coming from. The N64 was supported by third parties in key niche genres (FPS games and racing games, and Rare), the gamecube was a failure by all metrics, the Wii was supported by shovelware and dance games. All their handhelds have had mass third party support just because there's no other choice.

Nintendo EAD has always been no bigger than any other single AAA studio and they never bothered acquiring an army of AAA second parties like Sony and MS did. They spent the last 20 years expecting third parties to come do the heavy lifting for them because hey, we're Nintendo. They never understood the importance of third party support and they never bothered to compete in getting that support because they've always seen their competitors as beneath them. Because they made their own AAA games they never understood the deals cut by Sony and MS with third parties for exclusives. By making a game like Titanfall or GTA:SA or Call of Duty DLC exclusive both parties benefit, the publisher gets a wad of cash and the console maker gets an exclusive. That's how MS and Sony adapted to rising costs of development, they didn't bother making games themselves but cut deals with third parties for exclusives that benefited them both. But Nintendo never did that.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The PS4 reportedly outsold Xbox 2 to 1 in the US and 4 to 1 in Europe so in a year we'll probably be seeing a "Is the Xbox One the next Dreamcast" thread.

The Bone will probably come in a respectable second out of inertia and possibly some good exclusives, similar to the N64 in America vs the PS1. the Xbox Two will probably be in trouble, but that's in ten years so who knows

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 14, 2014

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
"In January 2013 we announced that Game Boy Advance games would be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console. Today I can finally say that we are ready to start releasing games from this system. In April."

:roflolmao:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
That X game looks pretty nice, although something about it reminds me A LOT of TERA. The lighting, the animations, the shaders, the UI? I dunno. Not that that's a bad thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"In January 2013 we announced that Game Boy Advance games would be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console. Today I can finally say that we are ready to start releasing games from this system. In April."

This is ridiculous, they're intentionally trying to sink the system now.

3 GBA games for North America, with possibly more to follow. They have learned nothing or choose to not learn.

I'm still waiting for X, and I think that's gonna be it for the system. 3DS has much more stuff coming down the pipes and they announced stuff for 2015.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Has any system before gone two months without any game releases? That's just amazing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Codependent Poster posted:

Has any system before gone two months without any game releases? That's just amazing.

It's honestly just been Nintendo systems with release gaps like that.

and like the PS Vita.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
God... if it took them at least 8 months to make a F2P Steel Diver based on when they announced it at E3 2013, how they hell are they going to make anything quickly.

I am sure the people working on poo poo like Steel Diver and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball can be put to better use

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

icantfindaname posted:

The Bone will probably come in a respectable second out of inertia and possibly some good exclusives, similar to the N64 in America vs the PS1. the Xbox Two will probably be in trouble, but that's in ten years so who knows
Xbone is most likely getting a $400 sku without kinect that will help sales, Nintendo has

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Codependent Poster posted:

In the US? Yes actually, it's called the Dreamcast prior to its final release of NFL 2K2. :)

I do think the Vita actually did have a two month gap last summer but am not positive, I do remember some point last year where it felt like a ghost town forever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

God... if it took them at least 8 months to make a F2P Steel Diver based on when they announced it at E3 2013, how they hell are they going to make anything quickly.

I am sure the people working on poo poo like Steel Diver and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball can be put to better use

"Nintendo needs to stop making the same games over and over again!!"

*makes new games*

"Nintendo needs to stop working on new IPs and make a new Metroid and F-Zero!!"

I know that's simplifying it a bit but that's what it feels like. They make a brand new game and people complain. They make a new game in an established franchise and people complain. The problem is that they take forrrrrrever to make this stuff and there's a weird disconnect between Japanese and NA/UK releases, like with the difference between the number of VC GBA games. The direct gave the impression that they're working on a ton of games but it just doesn't show.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nobody was asking for Rusty's Real Deal Baseball when they said they wanted new IPs and you know it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, we want a new IP that instantly has all the name recognition and nostalgia of an old IP. That's hardly too much to ask.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yarn Metroid

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It blows my mind that they think that just releasing games from the past will jumpstart anything on this system. I just cannot fathom how they think this is a viable strategy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AngryCaterpillar posted:

How do they not have dozens of roms ready to go? Goddamn Nintendo at least make it look like you are trying.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They should give other studios their old IPs and they can focus on making new IPs that way you get both and you don't need to choose. Just like what they did with the 3DS.

F-Zero will still stay dead though as will Star Fox.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Ramadu posted:

It blows my mind that they think that just releasing games from the past will jumpstart anything on this system. I just cannot fathom how they think this is a viable strategy.

Two consoles from now, Nintendo will release Wii U games (for that console).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A big lol @ Iwata describing Bayonetta 2: "With your accumulated magic power..." while on screen there's a big CLIMAX indicator..

Ramadu posted:

I'd never heard of it but I want to try haggling the price down of the mini games :newlol:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Level Slide posted:

Yarn Metroid

Yo! Noid

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zarron posted:

Supposedly, US sales of PS4 were double Xbox One, and the Xbox figure was estimated at 143K, so somewhere around 286K for PS4.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

thefncrow posted:

Supposedly, US sales of PS4 were double Xbox One, and the Xbox figure was estimated at 143K, so somewhere around 286K for PS4.

"Nearly" double, so less than that. Still, not bad for either console in the January after their Holiday release. Wii U was less than 55k though, apparently.

March will be the big month for both of the new ones since Titanfall and Infamous: Second Son are out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soul Glo posted:

"Nearly" double, so less than that. Still, not bad for either console in the January after their Holiday release. Wii U was less than 55k though, apparently.

March will be the big month for both of the new ones since Titanfall and Infamous: Second Son are out.

I can't speak for the Xbox, but isn't the PS4 still pretty hard to find? It may very well have only sold that many units because that's how many units were on shelves.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I like that Rusty's Real Deal Baseball exists because it shows they're trying out new pricing models, which could be really cool. Getting a discount on DLC / extra content in a game by playing that game is a pretty neat idea. If it does well I think we'll see something similar attached to more big-name releases.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

I can't speak for the Xbox, but isn't the PS4 still pretty hard to find? It may very well have only sold that many units because that's how many units were on shelves.

Nah, I've seen one PS4 in the wild already, and they're currently in stock on Amazon. They're harder to find than Xbones, but those are everywhere, so that's not a difficult thing to accomplish. It makes sense that there is less stock of PS4s here since they launched in more countries, and the US is one of the handful of countries the Bone has a chance of winning, so it makes sense that they would flood the market here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

I like that Rusty's Real Deal Baseball exists because it shows they're trying out new pricing models, which could be really cool. Getting a discount on DLC / extra content in a game by playing that game is a pretty neat idea. If it does well I think we'll see something similar attached to more big-name releases.
Thanks for purchasing Zelda: The Gibbin Drumpus for Wii U! This $59.99 Zelda Pass entitles you to:

* One (1) free dungeon, and
* Five (5) hearts. Hearts are also known as "hit points".

After playing the trial dungeon, you will get an innovative opportunity to haggle the price of the remaining 5 Dungeons from their base price of $19.99 all the way down to $17.50! To do this, one must play the Link's Streetpass Challenge (requires Nintendo 3DS, sold separately) which can be found in the Nintendo eShop for $5.99. Players can use Zelda Coins to play Link's Streetpass Challenge and win special items that can be used to lower the price of dungeons in Zelda: The Gibbin Drumpus! One free Zelda Coin is issued every week! More Zelda Coins can be purchased in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U, for $6.99 each.

To transfer Zelda Coins to your Nintendo 3DS, download the FREE Zelda Coin Transfer App from the Nintendo eShop on 3DS, and innovatively link the 3DS and Wii U together. As a special offer, we would like to give you this special news: For the first 24 hours, you will be able to transfer Zelda Coins from the Wii U to the Nintendo 3DS for only $2.99 per coin.

We hope that you will enjoy the good feelings of Zelda with this special offer.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The saddest part is even if Nintendo wanted to price a game in that way they don't have the online infrastructure to allow it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Louisgod posted:

"Nintendo needs to stop making the same games over and over again!!"

*makes new games*

"Nintendo needs to stop working on new IPs and make a new Metroid and F-Zero!!"

I know that's simplifying it a bit but that's what it feels like. They make a brand new game and people complain. They make a new game in an established franchise and people complain. The problem is that they take forrrrrrever to make this stuff and there's a weird disconnect between Japanese and NA/UK releases, like with the difference between the number of VC GBA games. The direct gave the impression that they're working on a ton of games but it just doesn't show.

Or they could do both at the same time. Which is what Sony/Microsoft do and it gives you that nice fall back IP's that you know will be good and the ability to check out new stuff. Nintendo does one or the other and takes years to do it so the gap in time between releases is much more noticeable/angsty.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

thefncrow posted:

I'm not sure what your objection is, since 18 months in is halfway through year 2.

Yes, it's not been 18 months yet, but he's 100% right that this is year 2.

I wasn't saying it's not in it's second year, but it's barely 3 months into that second year.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a pointless semantical argument because development on Wii U started well before 2012. We must be somewhere near 4 years past initial R&D on the console and that is certainly enough time to have figured this poo poo out. Of course, they would have figured this poo poo out if they exited their plastic bubble and asked other developers or looked at their competitors instead of being insular as gently caress, but hey.

e: I mean seriously you can keep sliding it back and back but Nintendo has had since 2005 to research this poo poo simply by pulling their head out of their rear end and looking at the development climate of the HD generation and taking notes. There is zero, zero, zero, zero, zero excuse.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 14, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's a pointless semantical argument because development on Wii U started well before 2012. We must be somewhere near 4 years past initial R&D on the console and that is certainly enough time to have figured this poo poo out. Of course, they would have figured this poo poo out if they exited their plastic bubble and asked other developers or looked at their competitors instead of being insular as gently caress, but hey.

e: I mean seriously you can keep sliding it back and back but Nintendo has had since 2005 to research this poo poo simply by pulling their head out of their rear end and looking at the development climate of the HD generation and taking notes. There is zero, zero, zero, zero, zero excuse.

Buddy I agree with you. My initial point was that they hosed up and will have to learn HD develoment the hard way and that it will take time to do that, but they will also improve their output after the initial slump..

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
GBA games on the WiiU but not the 3DS?

Insane.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

GBA games on the WiiU but not the 3DS?

Insane.

Even sillier since they gave away GBA games to 3DS Ambassadors like 2-3 years ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually miss Mario Baseball and so I was paying attention to the game they showed for 3DS, but really now, haggling over the cost of DLC? So some people can pay less for DLC than others and there's theoretically some computer that's scripted to lower and raise prices? I guess from a turing test perspective it's neat in theory, but god-drat talk about doing the exact opposite of what the market wants.

"Ey buddy, ya breakin' mah balls here! I'm programmed to go back up to full price."

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The haggling thing would be fine if the base price was reasonable and you could get discounts off of that but four loving American dollars for basically a Warioware microgame are you kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Someone needs to tell them that Steam is a thing. Because if they were not aware of how PSN or XBL work, they probably have no idea what Steam is.

• Locked thread