Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

FamDav posted:

well, he says he wants the total amount of water left. you're going to need to store at list one extra number per column, so if thats not your output then yeah youre gonna need extra space.

if you actually want the new heights in an array and you dont count the output array as extra space, then yeah you can do it with constant space.

I think usually the idea is you just want the total units of water held in the shape at the end so you don't need any sort of output array

just for the record here's a quick dirty linear-time constant-space solution I threw together
Python code:
def scan(length, f, count_eq):
  scanning = False
  scan_height = 0
  accum = 0
  total = 0

for i in xrange(0, length):
    if scanning:
      if (count_eq and f(i) >= scan_height) or f(i) > scan_height:
        total += accum
        accum = 0
        scanning = False
      else:
        accum += scan_height - f(i)

if not scanning and i < length - 1 and f(i) > f(1 + i):
      scanning = True
      scan_height = f(i)

return total

def answer(hist):
  length = len(hist)
  return (scan(length, lambda i: hist[i], True) +
          scan(length, lambda i: hist[length - 1 - i], False))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Steve French posted:

I wonder how a solution that just counts overflows would compare, performance-wise.

What exactly do you have in mind here?

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Just had my two Amazon interviews. I think they went great.

I answered all questions except one quickly and the interviewers seemed pleased with my answers. I created a bad O(n^2) solution to a string problem in the second interview, but when the interviewer said "think back to your first attempt and try to alter it", I got the O(n) answer instantly.

They seemed interested in my projects and we had good dialogue at the end.

If I don't get the job I'll be surprised and disappointed, but it's all up to Yeezus now.

Shout out to Cicero for helping me prepare.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Isn't it a rite of passage to first give a O(n^2) answer then go "oh, duh" and actually do a dynamic programming, or sort the drat thing first?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Isn't it a rite of passage to first give a O(n^2) answer then go "oh, duh" and actually do a dynamic programming, or sort the drat thing first?

Or use a hash table, but that's mostly for dorpping of a log n factor.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Skuto posted:

What exactly do you have in mind here?

If I had the time and energy I'd actually write up some C code, but I don't so I'll hastily describe it instead! Apologies for any mistakes or glaring omissions. At a high level it's the same general idea though, keeping a remainder and a dividend; except in this case the remainder is the running sum, the dividend is the number of overflows, and the divisor is the maximum integer value + 1.

You can detect overflows when adding values A and B; if B is positive and A + B < A, there's an overflow. If B is negative and A + B > A, there was an underflow. On overflow, increment the overflow count, on underflow decrement it.

Once you're done, you have the resulting sum, the number of overflows - underflows, and the number of values. Knowing the maximum integer value, you can then determine the average from that.

As already mentioned, the details of this are architecture and implementation specific; you have to know the *actual* maximum integer value, maybe 2's complement isn't being used, the minimum value is probably off by one, etc etc.

I should probably clarify (given some past discussions in this thread) that I'm not advocating this as a good answer to the interview question or as an implementation to be seriously used, but merely a point of curiosity.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 13, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rello posted:

Just had my two Amazon interviews. I think they went great.

I answered all questions except one quickly and the interviewers seemed pleased with my answers. I created a bad O(n^2) solution to a string problem in the second interview, but when the interviewer said "think back to your first attempt and try to alter it", I got the O(n) answer instantly.

They seemed interested in my projects and we had good dialogue at the end.

If I don't get the job I'll be surprised and disappointed, but it's all up to Yeezus now.

Shout out to Cicero for helping me prepare.
It was my pleasure! Glad you were able to do well. :)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrughes posted:

Or use a hash table, but that's mostly for dorpping of a log n factor.

Or radix sort, always a fun trick to pull when you have an upper bound on bit length

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Steve French posted:

You can detect overflows when adding values A and B; if B is positive and A + B < A, there's an overflow. If B is negative and A + B > A, there was an underflow. On overflow, increment the overflow count, on underflow decrement it.

Well in C or C++ check A > INT64_MAX - B and A < INT64_MIN - B instead.

Afaict you're just describing a two digit base-2^64 number. (Or one with digit values ranging between INT_MIN and INT_MAX like the way balanced ternary does, which is acceptable.)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shrughes posted:

Afaict you're just describing a two digit base-2^64 number. (Or one with digit values ranging between INT_MIN and INT_MAX like the way balanced ternary does, which is acceptable.)

Yes, that's exactly it, and probably a better description than I gave.

Your suggestion also avoids actually causing the overflow, which is much better, but would also result in more arithmetic operations? Probably insignificant.

Also worth pointing out that if we're allowed to assume a 64-bit architecture, then it's important to consider whether we need to handle more than 2^32 numbers. If not, then just doing the simple naive thing works great; if we do, then it's also important to note in any other solution that uses the number of values directly must either assume a 64-bit architecture as well, or explicitly handle that case.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Steve French posted:

If I had the time and energy I'd actually write up some C code, but I don't so I'll hastily describe it instead!

What you described matches what I thought you had in mind. This is equivalent to just using 64-bit integers, unless I missed anything.

There's a few cases where that is preferable to the interviewers solution, if the number of values exceeds (U)INT_MAX/2 you have no risk of overflow in the remainder part.

Basically, 64-bit integers FTW.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Skuto posted:

What you described matches what I thought you had in mind. This is equivalent to just using 64-bit integers, unless I missed anything.

There's a few cases where that is preferable to the interviewers solution, if the number of values exceeds (U)INT_MAX/2 you have no risk of overflow in the remainder part.

Basically, 64-bit integers FTW.

Yeah, I was writing it with the assumption that for whatever reason 64 bit integers weren't available for use; otherwise it's a sorta silly interview question, unless the solution has to handle an arbitrarily high number of 32 bit integers. But then the idea of having a machine that can only handle 32 bit integers but can somehow handle more than 2^32 of them is a bit odd (unless the context is some long running stream of numbers from some input device).

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's reasonable that the numbers would be 32-bit in order to save space. If you'd be using over 16GB of 32-bit integers, you probably don't want to change the code to use over 32GB of 64-bit integers instead. Suddenly computers get expensive.

Steve French posted:

Your suggestion also avoids actually causing the overflow, which is much better, but would also result in more arithmetic operations? Probably insignificant.

More importantly it would avoid the undefined behavior and the likely optimization taking advantage of said behavior.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

It's reasonable that the numbers would be 32-bit in order to save space. If you'd be using over 16GB of 32-bit integers, you probably don't want to change the code to use over 32GB of 64-bit integers instead. Suddenly computers get expensive.

Both given solutions use 2x32-bit integers, so it is the same. You can truncate the solution to 32-bits after calculating it in both circumstances.

The interviewers solution doesn't use all 64-bits optimally, and gets into problems with more than (U)INT_MAX/2 inputs as described. The (IMHO) simpler solution of using 64-bit integers or emulating them as Steve French described does.

My point is that these interview questions rely on the interviewee finding a "trick". This already sucks. It sucks even more if "trick" is worse than a native solution.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
No, you misunderstand. Emulating 64-bit integers is not a correct solution. You need to emulate larger numbers than that.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

The given (modulo/remainder) solution starts overflowing in the remainder if there's more than UINT_MAX/2 inputs, and given that each is an integer, that sums to UINT_MAX*UINT_MAX/2 at most.

This is less than 64-bits. So using 64-bit arithmetic beats it.

Am I totally missing something here?

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 14, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Skuto posted:

The given (modulo/remainder) solution starts overflowing in the remainder if there's more than UINT_MAX/2 inputs, and given that each is an integer, that sums to UINT_MAX*UINT_MAX/2 at most.

This is less than 64-bits. So using 64-bit arithmetic beats it.

Am I totally missing something here?

If you're saying that having a 64-bit integer, or emulating a 64-bit integer, as Steve French does, suffices, then you are. You need to emulate a 64 + N bit integer for some large enough N. With just a 64 bit integer, you could overflow after you exceed 2^32 elements, i.e. a mere 16 GB array. So you need to use a two 64-bit integers, or three 32-bit integers, or in general one 64 + N bit integer, so that you don't overflow until after exceeding (16 * 2^N) GB. Pick a value of N that's reasonable. N=0 isn't (or is it?). N=1 might be (on most quad-core consumer procs that are limited to 32GB). N=6 would work if you only have 1 TB of RAM. Of course N is cheap, you've got a 64-bit word size, so just pick N=64, and do what Steve French said with two 64-bit integers instead of two 32-bit integers.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

With just a 64 bit integer, you could overflow after you exceed 2^32 elements, i.e. a mere 16 GB array.

Right, I fully agree here. But the point is that the solution proposed by the interviewer will overflow after 2^31 elements, so it's worse given the same storage.

Consider summing a total of 2^31+epsilon values, each value being UINT_MAX. The sum of UINT_MAX mod (2^31+eps) + UINT_MAX mod (2^31+eps) overflows the remainder storage.

The naive, no tricks, solution only overflow after 2^32 elements.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shrughes posted:

I wasn't questioning the input being 32-bit integers, that's an entirely reasonable premise (and the reason you've pointed out for it is a good one). Rather, I was saying that if, in the context of the interview, you're "allowed' to use 64-bit integers in your calculations, and the number of integers passed in was less than 2^32, then just doing so directly and doing the dumb simple thing would be better than doing anything involving the number of values represented as a 32-bit integer.

The last bit was just pointing out that it would seem silly to be restricted to 32-bit integer types while also having to deal with the possibility of more than 2^32 of them, since they would presumably not fit into memory. Hence the bit about a long running stream of numbers to allow for the possibility of more numbers than would fit in memory. In that case, we would obviously need a more robust solution that could handle an arbitrarily large number of inputs.

In other words, at least one of the following must be true in order for the question and answer to make any reasonable sense:
1: we can use 64 bit integers
2: we don't have to worry about more than 2^32 inputs
3: we cannot assume that all integers fit into memory at once

unless things are really weird and the computer can use >32-bit pointers and we can't use >32-bit integers.

shrughes posted:

More importantly it would avoid the undefined behavior and the likely optimization taking advantage of said behavior.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. I know that it's undefined behavior, hence the disclaimer in my initial explanation.

That said, since I can't help myself, what you said, strictly speaking, actually *almost guarantees* undefined behavior:

shrughes posted:

I sure hope B is 0 :v:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
INT64_MIN - B is what you want when B is negative.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shrughes posted:

INT64_MIN - B is what you want when B is negative.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying you only want to do one or the other, depending on the sign of B, not both (as implied by your use of the word and). If B is negative, then INT64_MAX - B is undefined, otherwise INT64_MIN - B. And I'm also sure that you didn't actually mean that both should be calculated. I'm just heckling because I love you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

(as implied by your use of the word and)
Look at the original context of that post and note use of the word "instead" in reference to the post that it quoted. It makes perfect sense.

Question time. What should I read to learn about making good architectural decisions? I'm good at fixing bugs and adding stuff to an existing codebase but I struggle to get new projects off the ground because I just sit there trying to figure out how it should all fit together and I don't really know. Specifically interested in Android but anything more general would be fine too.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Holy crap. Just got my Amazon acceptance that was loving fast.

Just told my brother, I didn't practice so hard because I wanted the money, that it was really good for my career, or to make my parents proud, but because some random guy on the internet took two and a half hours of his day to do a mock interview with me and help me prepare.

So again a big thanks to Cicero.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Anyone have any tips on what to be prepared for with a remote pair programming session/interview thing? I'm sure it's a little bit out of the ordinary (although honestly it sounds like a great way to assess and applicant). It's for a Rails shop (hashrocket).

I'm not too stressed about it, I just want to give myself any edge I can. They said all I needed is a computer with SSH. I'm not sure if they're just going to have me open a tunnel or if I should expect to be programming in VIM while they keep track of what I'm doing in a screen session or something.

Also:

Rello posted:

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Rello posted:

Just told my brother, I didn't practice so hard because I wanted the money, that it was really good for my career, or to make my parents proud, but because some random guy on the internet took two and a half hours of his day to do a mock interview with me and help me prepare.

I just had the exact opposite experience. I first responded to an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn on November 6. I had 3 phone interviews and then my on-site interviews two weeks ago. A week after those interviews I emailed the external recruiter (there were 3, the linkedin one, the external one that arranged all of the interviews, and then an internal one that I met with at amazon for a half hour) asking if a decision was made. He emailed back saying the team was meeting that day and I should hear back later that day, a Friday, or early next week. Cicero had said that typically the team gets together the next business day to make a decision. These people took a whole week. I wonder if they even remembered who I was.

They didn't contact me that day or on Monday. Tuesday morning I sent an email to the internal recruiter. Wednesday nothing. Today I sent another email then went home from work sick. After a nap I decided that I finally completely fed up and called the internal recruiter. There was no answer and I had to leave a message. I also sent an email to the external recruiter asking if he could try contacting the internal recruiter for me, but I got a vacation auto-response. Finally an hour or so later the internal recruiter calls me and says they're not interested.

This dude could've taken the 5 minutes to send me a form email saying this on the Friday that they made the decision, but instead waited nearly a week while ignoring my emails.

This whole process was so drawn out (when scheduling phone interviews they always picked dates 1-2 weeks past my first available one and they picked an on-site a month and a half out) that I got a LinkedIn message from the first recruiter asking if I'm interested in jobs with Amazon's Logistics group (the same group as before):doh:.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

seiken posted:

I think usually the idea is you just want the total units of water held in the shape at the end so you don't need any sort of output array

just for the record here's a quick dirty linear-time constant-space solution I threw together
Python code:
def scan(length, f, count_eq):
  scanning = False
  scan_height = 0
  accum = 0
  total = 0

for i in xrange(0, length):
    if scanning:
      if (count_eq and f(i) >= scan_height) or f(i) > scan_height:
        total += accum
        accum = 0
        scanning = False
      else:
        accum += scan_height - f(i)

if not scanning and i < length - 1 and f(i) > f(1 + i):
      scanning = True
      scan_height = f(i)

return total

def answer(hist):
  length = len(hist)
  return (scan(length, lambda i: hist[i], True) +
          scan(length, lambda i: hist[length - 1 - i], False))

Ah, of course, that makes sense. I was going forwards and storing it all, then going backwards and storing it all. Then for each bar I took the minimum between the two passes. For my second approach I created a method that used a stack because I had just done the problem with the largest rectangle under a histogram, so I was convinced that the best solution to this one would be similar. Thanks!

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

perfectfire posted:

I just had the exact opposite experience....

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I had an on campus interview for an internship position so I guess the decisions are much more streamlined :/.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

perfectfire posted:

I just had the exact opposite experience. I first responded to an Amazon recruiter on LinkedIn on November 6. I had 3 phone interviews and then my on-site interviews two weeks ago. A week after those interviews I emailed the external recruiter (there were 3, the linkedin one, the external one that arranged all of the interviews, and then an internal one that I met with at amazon for a half hour) asking if a decision was made. He emailed back saying the team was meeting that day and I should hear back later that day, a Friday, or early next week. Cicero had said that typically the team gets together the next business day to make a decision. These people took a whole week. I wonder if they even remembered who I was.

They didn't contact me that day or on Monday. Tuesday morning I sent an email to the internal recruiter. Wednesday nothing. Today I sent another email then went home from work sick. After a nap I decided that I finally completely fed up and called the internal recruiter. There was no answer and I had to leave a message. I also sent an email to the external recruiter asking if he could try contacting the internal recruiter for me, but I got a vacation auto-response. Finally an hour or so later the internal recruiter calls me and says they're not interested.

This dude could've taken the 5 minutes to send me a form email saying this on the Friday that they made the decision, but instead waited nearly a week while ignoring my emails.

This whole process was so drawn out (when scheduling phone interviews they always picked dates 1-2 weeks past my first available one and they picked an on-site a month and a half out) that I got a LinkedIn message from the first recruiter asking if I'm interested in jobs with Amazon's Logistics group (the same group as before):doh:.

I'm not sure you did yourself any favors by following up so aggressively, it sounds like you might have made a bad impression. Some good advice I read is that the hiring process feels much slower on your end than it does for the employees of the company you're interviewing with. It's probably a good idea to give them a few days before following up, and in the meantime continue your job search elsewhere so you're not obsessing over one opportunity.

Having said that, I do sympathize. Some recruiters, even at awesome companies, are just legit bad. My first interview experience with Google was awful, the guy I did my first phone interview took *2 months* to submit his feedback, there's no way he remembered our interview. My recruiter was unresponsive, getting back to me days or weeks after she said she would.

After a few weeks I had just written it off, then one day I randomly got a call saying the guy submitted his feedback and they wanted to do another phone interview, which I bombed.

Then a different (awesome) Google recruiter contacted me a couple weeks later and skipped me ahead to an in person interview and the whole process took a couple weeks! So it definitely depends on your recruiter.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
How many weeks should I wait to contact a recruiter so as not to give a bad impression?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Following up like that is fine. Saying that there'll be a decision made at a certain time and then not communicating for days after the target date is unprofessional, and it's completely reasonable for a candidate to ask for a response.

Rello posted:

Awesome! That's great news. :)

quote:

Hahaha. No problem man. I like helping people, plus it's not entirely altruistic on my part. You know how in college they always tell you how important networking is, and you're like, "Sure, but what does networking actually mean doing?" Well, networking comes in many forms, and helping other programmers is one of them. It's a win-win.

edit: of course what I really mean is that you're obligated to spy on Amazon for me for my new Googly overlords. Hope you're comfortable with that.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 14, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cicero posted:

edit: of course what I really mean is that you're obligated to spy on Amazon for me for my new Googly overlords. Hope you're comfortable with that.

Can't you assholes do that yourselves ;)

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

perfectfire posted:

How many weeks should I wait to contact a recruiter so as not to give a bad impression?

Personally I think it's fine to contact them the day after you were expecting to hear back and didn't. But, if they don't respond immediately, I assume they are busy/lazy/a jerk and wait until the following week to try again. I agree with Cicero that it's super unprofessional for a recruiter not to contact you when they said they would - it seems like a central function of their job. But if they're ignoring your emails, emailing them every day just risks making you look pushy.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Motivated. It makes you look motivated.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

perfectfire posted:

I think you should maybe have called sooner. At the end of the interview or screen, they should say, "we'll get back to you in X days." If they don't, then part of your follow-up thank-you email should be, "what would you like our next step to be?"

If they said they'd get back to you in a week, then I think you were completely justified in waiting a week and then badgering a bit for some kind of response. It's lovely when a company strings you along because maybe you're their 15th-best choice.

Definitely don't slow down or halt your job search unless you've got a clear, "we're working on the offer letter and will have it for you in 2 days" kind of thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last company I interviewed at told me three times that they would called me, including an email that said "I will call you right now" and I never heard back. I knew that it went badly so I just gave up. A week later they apparently remembered to remove my access from the BitBucket repo that was used for the programming exercise but still didn't bother to call me (and yes, it was the same person).

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

Cicero posted:

of course what I really mean is that you're obligated to spy on Amazon for me for my new Googly overlords. Hope you're comfortable with that.

:ninja:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ugh, made a rookie mistake on N-queens; used a 2d array of cells instead of just maintaining a list of queens :argh:

Would you guys hold it against me if I just implemented backtracking instead of dancing links, which I didn't know well enough to suggest?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
N-queens seems like a lousy interview question. You either know how to solve it and it's rote, or you don't and you make a 2d array. Unless you're requiring that the candidate have an AI background, what does that get you?

Anyway, I think backtracking is perfectly fine.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Basically anybody worthwhile can figure it out if they haven't seen it, the trouble is the false positive rate with mediocre people that have seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shrughes posted:

Basically anybody worthwhile can figure it out if they haven't seen it, the trouble is the false positive rate with mediocre people that have seen it.

Can everyone worthwhile who hasn't seen/isn't familiar with it figure it out in less than 30 minutes? I'm actually in the market for a new standard interview question (one of several technical in-person people), and this just doesn't seem like it meets the requirements of being simple enough to derive if you're pretty good but have no familiarity with the problem.