Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

What a Judas posted:

Right, they would have to indicate on the card somehow that they aren't legal.

We might get thirteen silver bordered cards.

They've already indicated its black bordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What the gently caress happened to Archangel of Thune? It just popped to pre-order prices again after safely settling at "casual-bait $17"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tharizdun posted:

What the gently caress happened to Archangel of Thune? It just popped to pre-order prices again after safely settling at "casual-bait $17"

U/W Standard decks started running a full play set in the sideboard.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zorak posted:

They've already indicated its black bordered.

Right, but unless they're going to simply add 13 card names to the banned list for Legacy and Vintage, they're going to make those cards distinct in some way.

Maybe they're just going to add 13 card names to the banned lists.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

And its starting to see a little more play in modern with spike feeder.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

Right, but unless they're going to simply add 13 card names to the banned list for Legacy and Vintage, they're going to make those cards distinct in some way.

Green expansion symbols.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

What a Judas posted:

This seems to me the most likely answer. Just like ante, manual dexterity cards, and shaharazad, cards that really gently caress with normal gameplay will just be banned in constructed formats for that reason. I assume the 210 cards counts basic lands, so we're looking at 140 reprints? Given that some will be in vintage masters, there will have to be some good non-reserve list rares, or uncommons. I don't want to revisit fow/wasteland chat, but something like cabal therapy is certainly feasible?

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 14, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

They could just print 'This card is only legal in a Conspiracy draft' or similar directly on the card; I'm split on that and them just putting them on the banlist.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Yeah, I think they'll just add them to the banned lists for Legacy and Vintage, because they didn't mention Commander at all; that means to me that they will be legal for EDH, so they can't have different borders.

Lame. I wanted this set to be like 1/5th Un-cards.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I really don't get the expansion symbol of Conspiracy, it looks bent to the left for me, and I can't tell what it's supposed to represent.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

What a Judas posted:

Yeah, I think they'll just add them to the banned lists for Legacy and Vintage, because they didn't mention Commander at all; that means to me that they will be legal for EDH, so they can't have different borders.

They might end up banned in EDH for the same reasons they'll be banned in Legacy/Vintage, since the EDH banlist isn't determined by WotC.

e: Is the watermark on Clockwork Librarian different from the set symbol watermark on Magister of Worth? It's hard to make out, but it doesn't quite look the same. Wonder if that means anything?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

All banned cards in Vintage are banned in Commander, FYI.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boxn posted:

I really don't get the expansion symbol of Conspiracy, it looks bent to the left for me, and I can't tell what it's supposed to represent.

It is a screw, or bolt, twisting. IE it twists, or screws with the game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

All banned cards in Vintage are banned in Commander, FYI.

Most of those are ante cards or Kismet, though?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

bhsman posted:

Most of those are ante cards or Kismet, though?

Shahrazad! Which is actually not banned in EDH anymore.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Yeesh, the price of Purphoros went up $1.50 since between buying them now and getting home less than an hour ago... Guess making dinner was more expensive than I expected! Hero's Downfall even jumped up a tiny bit in that time. Can't wait to start murdering goats in the name of more murder though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

2MB posted:

Can't wait to start murdering goats in the name of more murder though.

Technically they're being sacrificed to Purphoros, God of the Gyro Pit. :chef:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The 13 banned in Legacy/Vintage cards are going to be Un-set cards reprinted :getin:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

LordSaturn posted:

Shahrazad! Which is actually not banned in EDH anymore.

EDH is played with Vintage legal cards with some additional bans. You cannot use Shahrazad just like you cannot use Chaos Orb.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

Technically they're being sacrificed to Purphoros, God of the Gyro Pit. :chef:

I really wasn't expecting this deck to be capable of such explosive bursts. Pyromancer into molten birth with purphoros on the table is such silly damage.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

2MB posted:

I really wasn't expecting this deck to be capable of such explosive bursts. Pyromancer into molten birth with purphoros on the table is such silly damage.

And you have a 50/50 chance of getting Molten Birth back every time. :stonkhat:

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

And you have a 50/50 chance of getting Molten Birth back every time. :stonkhat:

I know you touched on it in your other post but could you go into a little more detail on the control matchup? I feel like counter spells would be a huge issue for a deck that relies on having critical pieces on the board. Do you just play it slow and grindy? Sphinx's Revelation also feels like a big kick in the balls.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Kabanaw posted:

Official announcement of Conspiracy

Important: Conspiracy will not be available online, but certain cards from the set will be in Vintage Masters.
:lol:This is really pathetic and another reason why they need to sack the current MTGO team and hire some competent programmers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

2MB posted:

I know you touched on it in your other post but could you go into a little more detail on the control matchup? I feel like counter spells would be a huge issue for a deck that relies on having critical pieces on the board. Do you just play it slow and grindy? Sphinx's Revelation also feels like a big kick in the balls.

Sphinx is a pain in the rear end but if you remove their Planeswalkers (and in games 2 and 3 Needle and Slaughter Games away the rest - reminder that Aetherling is a target for Pithing Needle! Don't forget!! Like I did!!!) and stuff like Detention Sphere (which you should be able to blow up with Ratchet Bomb and then recur via Trading Post) it's really just about grinding them out with tokens. The deck is built to tear Control apart (especially if I end up putting the Rakdos's Returns back in), so go hog wild!

As an aside, remember this tip: when you Slaughter Games someone, politely ask to see their hand and snap a photo of it with your smart phone (if you have one). No-fuss checkup on what was in their hand at any time.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Korak posted:

:lol:This is really pathetic and another reason why they need to sack the current MTGO team and hire some competent programmers.

Yep, I'm sure it's that their programmers are unable to handle it and not that they would have to rebuild entire sections of the base infrastructure in order to get it to function. We don't know all the cards in Conspiracy, but so far we know that one card requires 1) cards being revealed during a draft and 2) requires putting cards back into packs. The original code likely wasn't designed for either of those things, which means to make it work they would need to redo how drafting works, which means digging into code that probably hasn't been touched for years. I'm positive that we're going to see cards in Conspiracy that do weirder things too, and at some point they probably decided that their online team, which is currently likely already overworked between maintaining and updating the rules engine and trying to build a new client, doesn't need the added stress of 'redo everything about drafting.'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bhsman posted:

As an aside, remember this tip: when you Slaughter Games someone, politely ask to see their hand and snap a photo of it with your smart phone (if you have one). No-fuss checkup on what was in their hand at any time.

Do not do this. Just write the cards down.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Yeah the Conspiracy in paper only/Vintage Masters online only dichotomy seems pretty fair and not so much a case of "LOL MTGO"

Not saying that the state of MTGO is excusable, but any change to a piece of software costs time and money, and rewriting the entire thing from the ground up to support things like putting cards back in packs just for a silly multiplayer set is... understandable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sade posted:

Yeah the Conspiracy in paper only/Vintage Masters online only dichotomy seems pretty fair and not so much a case of "LOL MTGO"

Not saying that the state of MTGO is excusable, but any change to a piece of software costs time and money, and rewriting the entire thing from the ground up to support things like putting cards back in packs just for a silly multiplayer set is... understandable.

What's not understandable is that MTGO has been around for, what, 15 years? And is still a buggy piece of junk.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

I feel like it's less good now that more people are doing it, although it was a great metagame call by Hayne at the time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

quote:

There are sixty-five new cards in Conspiracy. Fifty-two of the new cards will be legal in Legacy and Vintage; thirteen cards were designed by Ken Nagle.

:byodood:

In all honesty though, they're probably things that alter the way the game is played in a similar way to how Cogwerk Librarian alters how drafts work that probably just don't work in constructed. "When you play 'cardname,' if your opponent has such and such a card in their draft pool and not in their deck, X happens," or something similarly absurd (note that I'm no the best at examples).

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

What's not understandable is that MTGO has been around for, what, 15 years? And is still a buggy piece of junk.

Legacy programs are more likely to be a piece of buggy junk than something made recently.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

I feel like it's less good now that more people are doing it, although it was a great metagame call by Hayne at the time.

I'd hesitate to call it Hayne's call since that exact same weekend Brad Nelson ran the exact same 75 (maybe 74 with 1 sideboard card difference?) at SCG Baltimore and came in 4th. I forgot who came up with the list but it was floating around online for a bit and they just clearly copied it.

But yeah switching to a midrange U/W deck with control elements postboard is actually a pretty solid strategy for the meta right now, especially with the addition of Brimaz. If you're playing against the deck, there's pretty much a 50/50 shot boarding out all your removal completely screws you over in game 2.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

:byodood:

In all honesty though, they're probably things that alter the way the game is played in a similar way to how Cogwerk Librarian alters how drafts work that probably just don't work in constructed. "When you play 'cardname,' if your opponent has such and such a card in their draft pool and not in their deck, X happens," or something similarly absurd (note that I'm no the best at examples).

The cards made by Nagle will probably be grave hate because he hates graveyard decks even though they spices things up, or really powerful stuff that would be restricted or banned, because DRS, Jace the Moneybags, etc. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the set.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

qbert posted:

I'd hesitate to call it Hayne's call since that exact same weekend Brad Nelson ran the exact same 75 (maybe 74 with 1 sideboard card difference?) at SCG Baltimore and came in 4th. I forgot who came up with the list but it was floating around online for a bit and they just clearly copied it.

It was a Tomoharu Saito deck, he posted it on Twitter. Any UW deck that splashes for sideboard Dark Betrayals and has Archangels is probably a derivative of his list.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

RubberJohnny posted:

Legacy programs are more likely to be a piece of buggy junk than something made recently.

Especially when the department is kept to the barebones necessary to keep it running and pays their software devs like garbage for the Seattle area. I'm hoping the biggest change that comes from Hearthstone and Hex is Wizards is forced to finally invest in a real software development department.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Some Numbers posted:

Do not do this. Just write the cards down.

...how is taking the picture any different?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

bhsman posted:

Taking a picture and referencing it later is against the rules IIRC

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

bhsman posted:

It's been argued back and forth in this thread that it puts people in bad habits of not writing them down, because as soon as you get to competitive REL, you're not allowed to do that. The only time you're allowed to use your phone I believe is SCG events with the official SCG life counter app.

At FNM, yeah, take a picture so as not to worry about it, makes it quicker. I always have a notepad, so takes no time for me to scribble them down, but if my opponent asked to take a picture, I wouldn't care or begrudge him it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ManiacMatt posted:

It's been argued back and forth in this thread that it puts people in bad habits of not writing them down, because as soon as you get to competitive REL, you're not allowed to do that. The only time you're allowed to use your phone I believe is SCG events with the official SCG life counter app.

At FNM, yeah, take a picture so as not to worry about it, makes it quicker. I always have a notepad, so takes no time for me to scribble them down, but if my opponent asked to take a picture, I wouldn't care or begrudge him it.

Tournament rules were changed last year(IIRC?) to allow either player to look up Oracle text on their phone, and to let the opponent see what they are looking up.

edit: the full list, in addition to the Oracle text thing:
Electronic Devices
Players may use electronic devices to do the following:
•Keep track of life totals or other game-relevant information.
•Take and review notes (as outlined in section 2.11).
•Generate a random number when the game calls for one.
•Briefly answer personal calls not related to the game (with permission of the opponent).

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I only play FNM so I wasn't aware of that rule, but it seems dumb considering MTGO does the exact same thing.

• Locked thread