Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

poetrywhore posted:

Hey invaluable informants. It's time for Baby's First Scooter. I know almost nothing about them and don't want to buy blind. I'm 5'11" and weigh a buck sixty five, so I don't reckon I need anything small. I'm trying to be able to take it up mountains on the weekends or on road trips to beaches, so maybe 150cc is better? But this is my first scooter (lots of bicycle and car experience but automatic not manual transmissions and no motorcycle experience) and I hear lighter bikes are better for the hard part of the test (which one person tells me is going like 30 without putting your feet down, and another says is driving between some narrowly placed poles). So my question is, what sort of scooter (beyond the obvious "second hand") do you reckon I'd need? Actually, I'll take any and all scooter advice, not just what kind but test tips, whatever you got.

Edit: except pandemonium who will just tell me scooters are terrible and scooter drivers are terrible and I'm terrible for trying to drive one.

If you never plan on carrying someone else on the back, a decent 50cc will be okay even in most mountains. A 125-150 however will definitely give you the extra oomph to put a passenger on the back, carry a load of Ikea furniture, or maybe most importantly let you zip out of harm's way when there's a bus bearing down on you. It also just might feel more "right" in your hands than a 50cc; I'm 6'0/185lbs and whenever I drove the 50cc scooters that various friends had they always felt like toys.

As far as being legal, if you only drive a 50cc I believe you can just take the written test and health exam and don't need a road test. That info is a few years old though so maybe someone else in the thread can confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
To go above 50cc, which you'll probably want because like what USDA Choice says 50cc scooters just feel dinky, you'll need to pass the driving test but below it's just the written. The driving test isn't bad though. Your friends are basically right. The test is to drive straight between two lines over a certain distance without having to put a foot on the ground. The trick is that this is a timed test, but you have to drive for a minimum period of time. This forces you to go slowly and use your balance. After that it's just stopping at a red light and trying to remember the turn signal (everyone forgets this part of the test and still passes). I passed it on a 100cc scooter and it wasn't bad.

I've driven a 100cc scooter, 150cc motorcycle, and I now have a 125cc scooter. A full motorcycle is pretty cool, but traffic, rain, and parking make them a complete pain in the rear end (though I'm guessing the rain part is less applicable in the south). 125cc fits my needs pretty well. I've taken it up mountains while my friends on real motorcycles stalled out (hi url!) The actual test will license you to drive up to a 250cc motorcycle and learning how to switch gears can be fun, but it's a severe pain in the rear end in stop and go traffic. I'm almost exactly the same dimensions as you and I've never felt oversized on a 125cc bike.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm even taller/heavier than y'all, but I rocked a 50cc for like four years in Tainan. It always worked for me, despite nearly everyone here telling me I was crazy. It's true that for 50cc you just need to take the written test, or if you have a car driving license you can also legally drive a 50cc scooter. I drove without a license for a long time, but finally decided to get legal about 3 years ago, so things possibly could have changed since then, but yeah. Even though I only had a 50cc scooter, it just makes sense to get the full license, since it's kind of future-proofing yourself if you ever do want to upgrade or borrow someone's scooter, etc.

The actual driving test is ridiculously easy, here is a pic I just took from my old Driver's Handbook from the Tainan DMV which was chock-full of hilarious Engrish:

The straight-balance test is the only thing that actually requires any skill. 15m long, 40cm wide, bumpers on either side that can detect if you go outside the boundaries. As Atlas Hugged said, it's a minimum time (7 seconds) to make you go slow. You can't put a foot down or bump the rails, that's an instant fail and it also instantly fails you on the overall test, so they do it first. However, you do get two tries at it. I hosed up the first time.

The rest is simple, stop at a red light, stop when pedestrians are crossing, and stop at train tracks, that was about it. A guy walked me through the whole test before taking it, despite it being a busy day because I was a foreigner I guess, which was funny and cool. Since I only had my 50cc scooter, I had to use the DMV scooter, which they are required to provide for you if you don't have one of your own.

edit: In the end, I finally did upgrade to a bigger scooter. Not because I really felt I need more power (it's nice, though) but more because of the aforementioned passenger issue. Thin Taiwanese people can probably get away with carrying passengers regularly on a tiny 50cc, but for my fat American rear end, carrying another person meant a bigger seat was a plus.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 14, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Anybody interested in catching some pingxi sky lanterns tomorrow night?

I'm gonna do the yuanshan one this year, as much as I want to do pingxi, ..., next year

http://www.taipei-expopark.tw/MP_19.html

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

Hey invaluable informants. It's time for Baby's First Scooter. I know almost nothing about them and don't want to buy blind. I'm 5'11" and weigh a buck sixty five, so I don't reckon I need anything small. I'm trying to be able to take it up mountains on the weekends or on road trips to beaches, so maybe 150cc is better? But this is my first scooter (lots of bicycle and car experience but automatic not manual transmissions and no motorcycle experience) and I hear lighter bikes are better for the hard part of the test (which one person tells me is going like 30 without putting your feet down, and another says is driving between some narrowly placed poles). So my question is, what sort of scooter (beyond the obvious "second hand") do you reckon I'd need? Actually, I'll take any and all scooter advice, not just what kind but test tips, whatever you got.

Edit: except pandemonium who will just tell me scooters are terrible and scooter drivers are terrible and I'm terrible for trying to drive one.
I drove a 50cc for about 3 years and drove that fucker into the ground, and happened upon buying a very lightly used 125cc scooter(standard, nothing sporty but was reasonably current at the time) and still use it now. 50cc scooters are fine for commuting and have enough power to let you zip through traffic and get speeding tickets just fine. I wouldn't take those up a mountain though because at some point you'll be walking it up like the Flintstones. They're tiny and you can pretty much make your own parking spaces by moving scooters around. They're also really light pretty much to the point where you could probably throw one if you wanted; it makes moving it around for parking and such a snap.

I'd still recommend getting a 125 though because they end up being way, way nicer than the 50s without major drawbacks. They're definitely heavier, but they give you a much better ride; 50s can kinda chatter on the road and will hurt your rear end when going over a pothole whereas 125s are a lot smoother and take hits better. Acceleration is far more responsive and is useful for getting out of dangerous situations in traffic; going to a 125 from a 50 they felt really jumpy at first, but you learn to finesse the throttle pretty fast. 50s tend to sag when adding a person, but a 125 will take an extra person and a bunch of poo poo in the foot area no problem. Almost all 50s(last I checked) use 2-stroke engines, which means they will burn oil by default, and over time they transform into one of those scooters and it's kinda embarrassing and terrible at the same time.* Last, it's actually kind of hard to find a used 50cc rather than a used 100/125.

*and yet they can still pass inspections because the mechanic will just crank it so that it burns all the old poo poo out in a huge cloud of smoke before it can run cleanerishlike

As for the test, it's like this:
  • The written test should be on computers, can be switched to "English", and you can study the (hilarious)questions beforehand from their website, following in the tradition of "learn things to pass the test rather than how to actually drive"
  • First part of the driving test you have to go over a little bump and then drive straight between two lines slowly. It's something like 2 parking spaces long and maybe a foot wide, and you have to stay in there for at least 7 seconds so you can't buzz through. You have to keep your feet in/on the scooter and can't hang them out at all or you'll fail. You can probably practice this on your own, though that initial bump is what kinda throws a lot of people off.
  • After that, it's pretty much cake. You go around a bend and then stop if the stoplight turns red(yes, you can put your feet down now), and same if some railroad crossing signal is flashing, but generally, you're home free.
  • If you fail any part of the test, you can try again once. If you fail again, you can't try again until at least a week later.

e: oh look what happens when you don't refresh the page, pocket chomp comes in and puts in the same stuff with a loving diagram even gently caress. Also, I passed mine on the first try on what was probably the sketchiest 7 second wobble ever, seeing as I had never driven a 100/125 before and only found out I had to test on one that day. I think there may be a 10NT fee or something for using their bike too, FYI.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 14, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Also, ffs make sure you get a 3/4 helmet or better with a full face shield. The face shield isn't so much for crash protection as it is keeping smoke and dust and pollution off of your face and out of your eyes. I used one of those dinky helmets for a bit until I noticed I had black soot on my face whenever I got to work.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I need to figure out how to drive with a facemask at night because either it fogs to hell and I can't see or it gets wet and I can't see. I hate driving with cold wind and rain in my eyes, but at least I'm not blind.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

I need to figure out how to drive with a facemask at night because either it fogs to hell and I can't see or it gets wet and I can't see. I hate driving with cold wind and rain in my eyes, but at least I'm not blind.

Leave the visor a teeny bit open.

Normally the first notch (if it has notches), is that bit stiffer specifically so it will hold position.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

The face shield isn't so much for crash protection as it is keeping smoke and dust and pollution off of your face and out of your eyes.

I have no idea who Dietmaar Otte is, but looking at that diagram, the chin bit accounts for nearly 35% of impacts.

I'll be honest, a Zeus modular helmet goes for around 2,600NT$.

Weigh that 2.6K against: a dislocated/fractured jaw, teeth poking through your lips, and replacement teeth.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

Leave the visor a teeny bit open.

Normally the first notch (if it has notches), is that bit stiffer specifically so it will hold position.
This, also you need to keep the surface clean and try to keep it scratch free so rain doesn't streak it up. If it gets dirty, take the shield off and wash it with handsoap or dish detergent with your hand(don't use a sponge) and blot it dry. If it's hosed up, just buy a new shield; they tend to be pretty cheap.

^^^ I think a 3/4 is the minimal amount of protection you need, a modular or a full would be best. Those halfsies they sell are worse than even bicycle helmets. Face shield comment was more for "why you want a 3/4 that specifically has a face shield".

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

[list]
[*]The written test should be on computers, can be switched to "English", and you can study the (hilarious)questions beforehand from their website, following in the tradition of "learn things to pass the test rather than how to actually drive"

The written test on the website, I say, doesn't prepare you for alot of the questions on the actual test. Like, the practice test only has like 25% of the possible questions you could see. I failed the written test the first time because I just took the online test a couple times, and thought "I got this." And then they throw out these long, double-negative engrish questions at you. Just memorize all the pictures they show on the online test and what they mean, those are mostly the same, or you will know what couldn't be the answer and can guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it depends on where you take the test because I think provincial offices can have their own versions of the test. I took the scooter test in Banqiao and the written test was almost completely different from the online one and I couldn't understand most of the questions and I passed by shear luck. I took the car test at the main office downtown and the questions were identical to the ones on the website. Both the car and scooter practice tests are on the same website and I've seen Taiwanese people using it to practice for tests as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Some gems from the written test question set:

Multiple choice
  • If a driver hits a pedestrian, they should (1) do their best to offer firstaid
    if the person is injured. (2) leave the scene of the accident fast. (3)
    just console the injured person with soothing language.
  • Everybody is responsible for traffic safety. Therefore, in addition to
    obeying the traffic rules, when we see a traffic violation or traffic
    accident, we should (1) immediately report it to the police and provide
    assistance if needed. (2) mind our own business and do nothing. (3) not
    report it.
  • Which of the following provides the most important protection to
    motorcyclists? (1) A fancy leather belt. (2) A safety helmet. (3)
    Goggles.
  • If you are in a hurry, (1) you may speed. (2) you don't have to obey the
    traffic rules. (3) you still have to comply with the traffic rules.
  • After an accident occurs, the drivers must (1) not alter anything at the
    scene and immediately notify the police. (2) leave the scene of the
    accident immediately because it's not their business. (3) argue with the
    other people involved in order to shift the responsibility.
True/False
  • Valuing life should be the top priority of the driving ethics. Drivers
    should respect pedestrians and yield to the elderly, children, and the
    disabled at all times.
  • A vehicle flipped over in front of me and I can see injured people crying
    but no one helping. As I'm running late, I can just leave them there.
  • If a driver overtakes me to avoid getting dusty, I should pass them for
    the same reason.
  • When driving at night, you should use the high-beam headlight and
    constantly honk your horn to warn other vehicles get out of your way.
  • Police officers and traffic controllers, who enforce the traffic rules, are
    trouble makers.
  • Although in today's society time is money, we should understand
    speeding often causes tragic accidents and life is valueless.
  • After drinking alcohol, vision, hearing, and judgment become slow and
    impaired. Nevertheless, drinking alcohol is a good way to relax, so it is
    okay to drive a motorcycle after drinking.
  • The true/false section is chock full of this stuff

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

url posted:

I'll be honest, a Zeus modular helmet goes for around 2,600NT$.

Everyone I have talked to with a serious motorcycle has warned against modular helmets. They are cool, but they are not as safe as traditional, full-face motorcycle helmets. If you think about it, if a little upward force exerted by your hand can lift the front up, then what is a collision with some asphalt at the right angle going to do?

After being given this juicy bit of information, I have always recommended the traditional variant. I paid $3,000 for mine, and I have been using it for like four years. Protecting your entire head is definitely worth some more NTD.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Everyone I have talked to with a serious motorcycle has warned against modular helmets. They are cool, but they are not as safe as traditional, full-face motorcycle helmets. If you think about it, if a little upward force exerted by your hand can lift the front up, then what is a collision with some asphalt at the right angle going to do?

After being given this juicy bit of information, I have always recommended the traditional variant. I paid $3,000 for mine, and I have been using it for like four years. Protecting your entire head is definitely worth some more NTD.
It's a compromise setup, really, though they are latched so you do have to pull a tab to release it. I think full helmets tend to be cheaper than the modular ones to boot.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Like if you flew off your bike backwards and landed face first somehow?

Edit: In other news, I guess we're going to try to be around the zoo getting on a pingxi bus at around 7:30ish.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I bought a full helmet when I got a motorcycle a few years back. It was like 3000nt or less. But then I bought the 125cc scooter and the real helmet doesn't fit inside the seat so I switched to the freebie I got with the scooter. Am I doing Taiwan wrong? :sweatdrop:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I bought a full helmet when I got a motorcycle a few years back. It was like 3000nt or less. But then I bought the 125cc scooter and the real helmet doesn't fit inside the seat so I switched to the freebie I got with the scooter. Am I doing Taiwan wrong? :sweatdrop:

:lol: Does your scooter not have little pieces of up-raised metal along the lining under the seat to hang the strap of your helmet off? My scooter is from like 1999 or something and it has two of these. (This is not the hook-thing between your legs.) I may be doing a poor job explaining what they are, but they allow the helmet to hang off the side of your scooter and because the metal pieces are inside/under the seat, part of the strap remains inside/under the seat. It makes stealing the helmet a little trickier. You can't just walk off with it; you have to cut the strap off. Again, I've had the same helmet for four-ish years. No one has stolen it...yet.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Like if you flew off your bike backwards and landed face first somehow?

Spanish Matlock, did you not see the picture url posted? The statistical majority of accidents end up with your chin / jaw hitting the ground first. Not sure why you think going backwards would cause you to land first...going forward 才會.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

:lol: Does your scooter not have little pieces of up-raised metal along the lining under the seat to hang the strap of your helmet off? My scooter is from like 1999 or something and it has two of these. (This is not the hook-thing between your legs.) I may be doing a poor job explaining what they are, but they allow the helmet to hang off the side of your scooter and because the metal pieces are inside/under the seat, part of the strap remains inside/under the seat. It makes stealing the helmet a little trickier. You can't just walk off with it; you have to cut the strap off. Again, I've had the same helmet for four-ish years. No one has stolen it...yet.

Spanish Matlock, did you not see the picture url posted? The statistical majority of accidents end up with your chin / jaw hitting the ground first. Not sure why you think going backwards would cause you to land first...going forward 才會.
Hanging your helmet sucks if it rains. :smith:

Spanish Matlock's point is that getting the "right angle" is kinda difficult because you'd have to hit the ground with force against the chin pushing upwards(like flipping off backwards and catching the chin while moving backwards); otherwise, the impact is going into the helmet pushing it closed. You have to do some weird stuff to try to catch your helmet and have it push upwards, and at that point, I'd be more worried about your neck.

Disclaimer: I don't have any solid evidence other than playing Truck Dismount many, many, many times as ways to simulate crashes, so I deem myself an expert in this respect.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Hanging your helmet sucks if it rains. :smith:

The secret is to hang it on its side with the visor down, sealed up nice and tight. If you hang full helmets that way, they should get minimally wet. If you hang it upside down, then of course it's going to get wet.

And the whole issue for me with helmets is "better safe than sorry". If there is a chance a modular helmet will be ineffective in protecting me, however slight it may be, then I am going to always use a traditional motorcycle helmet.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Are there any benefits to having a 125 instead of a 150 or vice versa?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

Are there any benefits to having a 125 instead of a 150 or vice versa?
125s are more plentiful and should be cheaper. I don't think you'll get the same kind of price/performance from a 150, and I see those as being "the most powerful ones you can get before you have to get a 250cc license".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

I'm just super lazy.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

duckfarts posted:

125s are more plentiful and should be cheaper. I don't think you'll get the same kind of price/performance from a 150, and I see those as being "the most powerful ones you can get before you have to get a 250cc license".

Wait so which one's better on price/performance, then? I'm confused.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

poetrywhore posted:

150cc jumps in size significantly, so any advantage a scooter would have over a full motorcycle is minimized. Plus, there's not really anything you can do with a 150cc that you can't with a 125cc.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

125s - they're cheap and do everything you really need, and 150s will command a price premium for the extra 25cc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Pandemonium you should join us in the Line chat.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
How negotiable are prices here? My daddy raised a horse trader.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 14, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've heard of trading horses, but houses?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've always used lovely helmets that I knew wouldn't do jack poo poo in an accident. It's kind of weird, because I'm totally anal about cycling with a really nice bike helmet, but on scooters it's just too inconvenient to have a big rear end helmet. I'd actually love to rock one but when you can fit two of those tiny lame ones inside your scooter at all times...meh.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've heard of trading horses, but houses?

Dang. Typos is a motherfucker.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You are also invited to the Line chat.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

poetrywhore posted:

With scooters your better off getting a 125cc because the performance difference is negligible for scooters of that size, and 125's are way more common (thus cheaper) as Atlas said.

With motorcycles it's a different story because they are much heavier than scooters. Though a 125cc motorcycle is generally as fast as the 150cc models, what your really getting with the larger engine is more torque, and that is important with a heavy motorcycle when your going up hills.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I've always used lovely helmets that I knew wouldn't do jack poo poo in an accident. It's kind of weird, because I'm totally anal about cycling with a really nice bike helmet, but on scooters it's just too inconvenient to have a big rear end helmet. I'd actually love to rock one but when you can fit two of those tiny lame ones inside your scooter at all times...meh.

It's really not that much trouble dealing with a larger helmet. At least not enough trouble that it's worth it to risk serious face injury for a bit of convenience not having one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
125cc scooters are pretty cheap too. I got mine new for like 70,000nt or less. I don't even remember, but it was on sale because they were clearing out the models for the next year. They'll usually have different prices based on buying it in payments or just paying it upfront in cash. I love giving businesses unmarked envelopes full of 1000nt bills.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
70,000 NTD for 125cc? You can get a new basic scooter (50cc I think) for 2500 RMB (~= 12,000NTD)

Pandemonium, is this person's Mandarin really bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZOoVVX8Cd4&t=39s

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 15, 2014

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

70,000 NTD for 125cc? You can get a new basic scooter (50cc I think) for 2500 RMB (~= 12,000NTD)

Her Chinese is pretty good! What a cute story
But so 宅...

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
:psyduck: Someone needs to tell that lady that although 很 may be spelled hen in pinyin it should sound like Attila, not a female chicken.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Her Chinese is fine...for a foreigner! Her pronunciation of 心 and 說 were pretty awful, like her brain turned off and forgot they were first tone. But she's understandable. As one would hope a person with a Taiwanese spouse who isn't a stupid 自視甚高 too good for Chinese foreigner guy would be.

Edit: Oh poo poo, this is the Youtube Channel where every video there are like five foreigners interviewed on lovely topics like "gee whiz Taiwanese go to school a lot" or the one I just watched "what's up with Taiwanese people having English names, isn't that so cray cray?!" Yeah, this channel is stupid as hell. Also, always has the same EXACT background music.

Edit 2: I found the education one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJznEitHqlY That is a better example of a foreigner massacaring Chinese. It's just brutal what that British girl does to words like 電影.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 15, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

caberham posted:

Well, it was a Kymco bike, which are slightly more expensive, and probably closer to 65,000. I forget exactly. I'm not surprised that it's significantly more expensive than a 50cc scooter in the mainland though. People spend a ton on their vehicles here. I've known plenty of guys who bought cars just to have a car and basically ate ramen every day and lived in a cardboard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

That girl has a half-taiwanese accent so that's pretty funny. I don't think she pronounced a single retroflex.