Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm incredibly curious if our poo poo roads would even be able to stand up to having a T-34 drive on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNQbwWP3hQ

I think a T-34 has a pretty reasonable ground pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You can get rubberized tracks for a tank, so assuming your place allows vehicles that are ~20% wider than Hummer H1 you could drive it on the road. Just remember that servicing those things would be a bitch - according to T-34 service manual some parts need to be lubricated every hour, with maintenance procedures after every 100 km driven. Even then I doubt engine, transmission and tracks would survive more than 3kkm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something tells me that these service intervals are much like modern intervals on cars and that in practice they were routinely exceeded with no one giving a gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Slavvy posted:

Something tells me that these service intervals are much like modern intervals on cars and that in practice they were routinely exceeded with no one giving a gently caress.

WWII Tank lifetimes posted:

"T-34: 2000-2500 km, 250-300 hours
IS/ISU-122: 1200-1800 km, 230-280 hours
M4A2: 2000-2500 km, 250-300 hours
SU-76: 1200-1800 km, 180-200 hours

Individual tanks made it as far as 3000 km, and their motors functioned for 300-350 hours."

These are the figures for all components.

This might be for driving on pretty bad roads (or no roads at all) though. On road driving is probably easier on the components.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Slavvy posted:

Depending how far they got without getting shelled.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Do recoilless rifles count? They're kind of a pet fascination of mine - a very clever thing to build, but basically worse than a missile or rocket in every possible way.

If anyone has anything interesting to say about recoilless rifles, please do. :)

The Carl Gustav entered service in the immediate postwar period (1946) and improved versions are still in use by the military number of different countries, including the USA. It's still useful because it can be carried and operated by a team of 2 infantrymen but can accurately deliver shells against targets at ranges greater than 1200 meters. It's a better option for these purposes than AGTMs because the shells are cheap, whereas a Javelin missile has a unit cost of like $80,000.

I think that's kind of interesting.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
It also has a flechette round which makes it into a gigantic shotgun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If someone was an eccentric super rich history buff how practical would it be for them to commission exact reproductions of old armored vehicles? Would it even be possible? Is so how much would a Tiger tank from scratch cost? If I were a billionaire I'd get a complete collection of reproductions to the original specifications. Minus the working canon of course.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pfft, without the working cannon you've just wasted millions of dollars for nothing. A little ITAR related paperwork is worth it in this case.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If someone was an eccentric super rich history buff how practical would it be for them to commission exact reproductions of old armored vehicles? Would it even be possible? Is so how much would a Tiger tank from scratch cost? If I were a billionaire I'd get a complete collection of reproductions to the original specifications. Minus the working canon of course.

China could and would probably do it for a few million if you just wanted it to superficially resemble a tiger and have it use a modern engine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Arm the cannon to fire poop.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Saint Celestine posted:

China could and would probably do it for less than a million if you just wanted it to superficially resemble a tiger and have it use a modern engine.

No, exact specifications. :spergin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it wouldn't be possible unless you had absolutely comprehensive manufacturing blueprints OR a functioning example, pretty sure there's one functioning tiger tank running around. You could pay a team of engineering geniuses to reverse-engineer the thing in conjunction with masses of historical data.

Not to mention, production would've varied so wildly from month to month because of modifications from feedback from the field and adaptations to materials availability etc. So even if whatever you built wasn't "perfect" it would still be within the margin of error set by the original variations in production/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
There's seven surviving ones, but the Bovington Tiger (131) was only recently gotten back into working condition (like... at Christmas) and has a KoenigsTiger's engine (post-war replacement of the engine turned over to the RE for research during the war) and a modern fire extinguisher system added for safety. At least one of the others was used as a gunnery target by the Red Army for a few years. Not sure how well the rest would run, but some of them have been kept inside as museum pieces for ages so they might be in fixable condition.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's apparently a business that bought an old workshop somewhere in the Czech Republic intending to restore classic cars but they found a filing cabinet full of plans for Czech and German WWII vehicles as the place was last used to machine replacement parts for them. So... possible, but pricey.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
WWII era archives are public. The state of German archives leaves much to be desired (a lot of stuff regarding 1933-1945 was lost, destroyed, or taken by the Allies), but Soviet archives are in much better shape. You can find any blueprint you want and make yourself a T-34. Although it would probably be cheaper to buy from North Korea.

There are also reverse-engineered blueprints of German vehicles, so you might get lucky there!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good luck with those Tiger road wheels.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If you're looking for a significantly cheaper option, there are actually companies in the old Soviet Bloc countries that will take old T-55 chassis and build reproduction hulls on top of it. It'll run you a could dozen thousand dollars at the lowest, but if you're looking for a way to reenact all your secret Eastern Front fantasies at an airshow or two on a budget it's the way to go.

Edit: Or you could just go to these guys. http://www.site.ww2mv.com/German_Replica_Tanks.html

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 14, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wasn't there some tank that was designed to be driveable without tracks so it could cruise along paved roads at a decent clip just on the roadwheels alone?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Wasn't there some tank that was designed to be driveable without tracks so it could cruise along paved roads at a decent clip just on the roadwheels alone?

Christie tanks were designed with that in mind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_suspension.

Apparently one broke 100mph.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Slavvy posted:

Beaten slightly, but those would be the innovations of one Walter Christie, who designed tanks in the late '20s and early '30s. His suspension design allowed for tanks that were extremely fast for armored vehicles at the time, and as you mentioned allowed the tanks to move on their road wheels. The US Army was interested in his suspensions, but thought his tank designs were incredibly dumb*, so Christie decided to sell some of his prototypes to various other countries, including the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union also thought his tank designs were dumb, but later versions of his suspensions were used on numerous tank designs, culminating in the famous T-34.

*Christie believed in having a large number of lightly armed, lightly armored tanks, and as such his designs sacrificed almost all armor and armament for speed. The epitome of Christie's insanity was the M1932, which was designed to equip a large set of wings and fly onto the battlefield. Seriously.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting that all throughout history, people come up with 'extreme' designs, like the one above or the konigstiger on the other end of the scale, yet a middle-of-the-road, all-round approach always turns out to be the best.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Not really. Before naval aircraft really started to scare battleship captains, there was no end to how big people were considering making dreadnoughts, except by stopping themselves artificially through the Washington Treaty.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Beaten slightly, but those would be the innovations of one Walter Christie, who designed tanks in the late '20s and early '30s. His suspension design allowed for tanks that were extremely fast for armored vehicles at the time, and as you mentioned allowed the tanks to move on their road wheels. The US Army was interested in his suspensions, but thought his tank designs were incredibly dumb*, so Christie decided to sell some of his prototypes to various other countries, including the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union also thought his tank designs were dumb, but later versions of his suspensions were used on numerous tank designs, culminating in the famous T-34.

*Christie believed in having a large number of lightly armed, lightly armored tanks, and as such his designs sacrificed almost all armor and armament for speed. The epitome of Christie's insanity was the M1932, which was designed to equip a large set of wings and fly onto the battlefield. Seriously.

Anti-bullet armour was very common for tanks at the time. You don't start seeing anti-shell armour until a few years after Christie's tanks already had a life of their own. The other very popular design of the time, the Vickers Mk. E, did not offer superior armour. The genius of the suspension design was independently moving road wheels (each one had its own spring), rather than the convertible drive. Even on tracks, his tanks were very fast.

Also Christie's tanks were by no means, "dumb", lots of people wanted to buy them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speaking of tanks, ironically would have attacking at Kursk sooner have helped better than later?

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Slavvy posted:

It's interesting that all throughout history, people come up with 'extreme' designs, like the one above or the konigstiger on the other end of the scale, yet a middle-of-the-road, all-round approach always turns out to be the best.

It only appears this way because there are always going to be bizarre outliers to either "side" of any working design.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Speaking of tanks, ironically would have attacking at Kursk sooner have helped better than later?

Probably, but the best option was not to attack it at all, since there was no real reason to do so.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Probably, but the best option was not to attack it at all, since there was no real reason to do so.

I think realistically no matter how "well" the Germans could defend and hold Soviet territory, they would inevitably lose once the other Allies had enough force bearing down on them that it necessitated continued offense in an attempt to knock the USSR out of the war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, Germany was probably pretty boned by that point in the war. I just mean there was no real reason to attack at Kursk. The Soviets had clearly figured out they were planning to strike there, and I think a bunch of German generals tried to get the whole thing called off, since attacking into a fortified position was the exact opposite of the plan.

So they probably would have had to do something somewhere, but Kursk should not have been the 'where'.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, but you get a bonus to initiative thanks to your charisma.

I have an old superbombard. Come at me bro.

Edit: Speaking of, guys...

Guys...

Guys!

I saw Dulle Griet in person last night on the way to a bar.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 14, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I need to ask a very important question guys, if there was a zombie apocalypse what tank would you want? I always wanted a BMP when I was a kid to roll over zombies and carry my chums in :colbert:. (I could also, in a pinch, drive it through rivers to islands!)

(Note this question has very serious military implications, such as the logistical issues concerning an IFV/Tank behind enemy lines surrounded by enemy infantry who forsake guns for toxic bites.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Honestly if I as a civilian wanted to have any nations surplus for everyday use (fantasy scenarios aside) I would imagine that Soviet kit is probably the most practical; if the consensus of it being "easy to maintain" and "high endurance" are true. The BMP is probably easy to make road legal as well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

At the very most I'd want an apc for my juvenile dreams. You can get an OT-64 skot for cheap and iirc it's amphibious as well. Gas economy and not wrecking roads are nice. Never not logistics.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

I have an old superbombard. Come at me bro.

Edit: Speaking of, guys...

Guys...

Guys!

I saw Dulle Griet in person last night on the way to a bar.

:allears:
I keep forgetting Dulle Griet is an actually cool thing. How long are you in Ghent for? Need any tips.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can purchase a vintage t-34-85 for like 40k US dollars. I know what I'm going to ride to work in. Anyone know what the GPM on one of these babies is?

Get a btr istead. Its wheeled so you dont have to get special permits or some poo poo. Gonna get one, pimp that poo poo out. Spinnin rims, smoke grenade launchers that shoot wads of 1 dollar bills, flamboyant paint job, the works. Gonna roll up on tha club like its Grozny blastin dubstep remakes of red army choir songs in a hail of money :ussr:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Out here in :poland: you can apparently buy BRDM-2s with a mileage of few hundred kilometers for about 4.600 $.

Man, it sucks to be a poor student. :(

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Man, I love this semi-derail I started :allears:

I'm gonna buy a bunch of APCs and tanks and open my own theme park where visitors attempt to cross the border into West Germany. Do not steal my idea.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fragrag posted:

:allears:
I keep forgetting Dulle Griet is an actually cool thing. How long are you in Ghent for? Need any tips.
Until the 18th. There's a bar called Rococo that's lit only by candlelight, that's cool.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can you just buy a wheeled BTR in the states and just drive it around like no big deal?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Can you just buy a wheeled BTR in the states and just drive it around like no big deal?

Probably not, but im in an armored vehicle the gently caress are they gonna do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

Probably not, but im in an armored vehicle the gently caress are they gonna do about it?

Well if Rand Paul gets his way... Drone strike you.

• Locked thread