Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

:xd:

I was sorta surprised notes around the office were in English. I figured when the cameras were off everything at Paradox happened in Swedish. When you guys play for fun, at home or whatever, do you play in English or Swedish?

Well I'm from Scotland so I'm not the ideal one to ask, but as far as I know most Swedes play games in English as even when games are available in Swedish they tend to be awful translations. Around the office the majority is Swedish, but everyone knows English, so if you want something to be universally read you do it in English.

hellsjudge posted:

And of course you gave the coffee machine a good tumble?

Yes. Gained me the Lustful trait and -10 relations with everyone in the kitchen though :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

A matrilineal marriage to boot.

If nothing else, the Sultanate is going to fall into tiny pieces I can gobble up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Lord of Hats posted:

How do I get Mythos working? I've got the mod installed, and it says that it's active, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything. Is it incompatible with Old Gods or something?

When it's activated there should be a new bookmark at January 2nd, 867 (I think), and from there you have a couple character choices (a vampire in Bulgaria, a giant in Norway, and a Celtic pagan in Wales, off the top of my head). I doesn't change up a whole lot in the start of the scenario.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Quite easily, yes. Under decisions/minor_decisions.txt, you can increase the base factor of catholic_pilgrimage from 0.001 to whatever you want.

What would a factor of 1 mean? So as to compare to a Hajj which has a factor of 1, but you don't see that many Muslims going on it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Hmm, interesting! Thanks.

Also i need some advice, as noted a few posts above i hold the empires of Scandinavia and Britain under me at the moment, this is under gavelkind. My latest wife just managed to pop out 4 sons so far and i haven't been able to assassinate her yet. Should put in elective monarchy and try to hang onto Scandinavia, my main king title and duchies? (Empire of Britain has not been formed) Give my excess sons King titles in the other countries.

Or should i desperately try to kill them off?

Even if they're not your vassals they will still inherit as normal I believe, and since you have two top level titles one of they're gonna get split up. Should kill them if you can, change the laws if you can't.

That being said, you should kill them anyways. If you have to ask the answer is yes. Kill entire families just to keep your vassals on their toes.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Do you guys have any recommendation for how best to use concubines? Like when my character reaches 16 and gets married should I fill my coffers with concubines? Or do I use them if my wife isn't giving me children? And when is a good time, if at all, to let them go?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Do you guys have any recommendation for how best to use concubines? Like when my character reaches 16 and gets married should I fill my coffers with concubines? Or do I use them if my wife isn't giving me children? And when is a good time, if at all, to let them go?

Keep two on reserve and go raiding for a third. If you're lucky and siege capitals, you can steal away princesses or queens, who will pass of claims to your children. Certainly a long game, but it could help you take kingdoms and empires in one fell swoop.

Plus there's the satisfying act of stealing someone's wife :getin:.

e: also you get prestige from having three nubile concubines, so get em at 16 and let em go when they hit 40.

Ugh i feel like such a pig. Patriarchy :argh:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 13, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bloody Pancreas posted:

The ideal way to get concubines is to go raiding for princesses and make them your concubines. Then, a generation or two later when France is in a succession war, you can show up with the guy who's now your half-brother to get a Norseman of your bloodline on the throne.

hellsjudge posted:

Keep two on reserve and go raiding for a third. If you're lucky and siege capitals, you can steal away princesses or queens, who will pass of claims to your children. Certainly a long game, but it could help you take kingdoms and empires in one fell swoop.
Queens aren't generally that productive, unless they're princesses in their own right as well.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Let them go when they reach 40, and are thus infertile, or when someone who is more noble, like a Queen or Princess, comes along. Higer tiered concubines give your more prestige (I think). If you want a crapload of kids, get concubines, if your wife is infertile or chaste/celibate, get concubines. I am pretty sure concubine kids get claims on your titles so be careful, yo!

Edit: Oh jeez beaten twicely, yo!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When creating a vassal republic (owning a duchy and county, granting the duchy to a mayor in that county) will he always have the -30 malus of Wrong Government Type? The only holding he owns is a city, he doesn't have a barony, so it's not like he thinks he is a feudal lord.

Another quick question while I'm at it - if you can create a second empire, do all of its de jure vassals get a malus against you, like if you owned a kingdom? (Desires the Kingdom of Buttholistan) for example. I'd save and reload to check but I'm playing ironman.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 14, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Node posted:

When creating a vassal republic (owning a duchy and county, granting the duchy to a mayor in that county) will he always have the -30 malus of Wrong Government Type? The only holding he owns is a city, he doesn't have a barony, so it's not like he thinks he is a feudal lord.

Another quick question while I'm at it - if you can create a second empire, do all of its de jure vassals get a malus against you, like if you owned a kingdom? (Desires the Kingdom of Buttholistan) for example. I'd save and reload to check but I'm playing ironman.

The "Wrong Government Type" malus is because you are not a Republic, not because the mayor holds any baronies.

Vassals will always desire the next De Jure step up (as long as it exists and you hold it and another title of equivalent rank), but never any titles outside of it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

For most of the game, I've had my demesne in the duchies of Tara and Munster in southern Ireland (owning both duchies, the 5 counties there, and a couple extra baronies I built there), with my capital in Dublin. I've recently taken over the Holy Roman Empire and have a max demesne size of 10, so I think it's time to reevaluate my demesne. Should I take ownership of more counties in Ireland? Cherry pick the strongest counties from the empire? Something else?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Parallax Scroll posted:

For most of the game, I've had my demesne in the duchies of Tara and Munster in southern Ireland (owning both duchies, the 5 counties there, and a couple extra baronies I built there), with my capital in Dublin. I've recently taken over the Holy Roman Empire and have a max demesne size of 10, so I think it's time to reevaluate my demesne. Should I take ownership of more counties in Ireland? Cherry pick the strongest counties from the empire? Something else?

Ideally, your domain should be the best two duchies in whatever your main kingdom title is (which should also be your biggest kingdom title).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Did anyone calculate if the 2.0 changes to Levies, make it better to supercharge a single duchy with holdings than to hold two?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Excelzior posted:

The "Wrong Government Type" malus is because you are not a Republic, not because the mayor holds any baronies.

Vassals will always desire the next De Jure step up (as long as it exists and you hold it and another title of equivalent rank), but never any titles outside of it.

I understand the first explanation, but not the second. I'm the Roman Empire and just reclaimed all the imperial borders. This means I own the entire Iberian peninsula. I have no kingdoms of my own, but some of my vassals have formed kingdoms in there because some of the kingdoms require very little amount of counties to create. If I made the Empire of Hispania, are you saying I would get the -20 Desires the Empire of Hispania from them?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Piell posted:

Ideally, your domain should be the best two duchies in whatever your main kingdom title is (which should also be your biggest kingdom title).

Yeah, but I can hold more titles than will fit in those two duchies.

Edit: I guess I could grab Ulster, though I've already spent centuries upgrading the holdings in Munster.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Node posted:

Yes. It's a bad idea; don't do it.

Node posted:

I understand the first explanation, but not the second. I'm the Roman Empire and just reclaimed all the imperial borders. This means I own the entire Iberian peninsula. I have no kingdoms of my own, but some of my vassals have formed kingdoms in there because some of the kingdoms require very little amount of counties to create. If I made the Empire of Hispania, are you saying I would get the -20 Desires the Empire of Hispania from them?

Yes. Let the kingdoms drift into your empire, revoke them, etc., etc.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Darkrenown posted:

Yes. Gained me the Lustful trait and -10 relations with everyone in the kitchen though :sigh:

Should have Filled It With Rocks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ulmont posted:

Yes. It's a bad idea; don't do it.

Yes. Let the kingdoms drift into your empire, revoke them, etc., etc.

I've imperial reconquested a few kingdoms down to where their king only owns one county. One thing I find incredibly retarded is the Kingdom of Bavaria has its crown laws set to lowest, where you can't revoke titles. He is pissy he doesn't own all the duchies, so I'd revoke them, but I can't. The Bavarian Crown Laws don't allow revocation. I've played this game for a few hundred hours and this is the first time I've ran into that and I find that sorta retarded. You aren't a king, you own one county, and I'm your emperor, I'm destroying your loving title. But no, his laws won't let me because his own banana republic doesn't have the authority.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Tulip posted:

Should have Filled It With Rocks.

Rocks are my secret to an energetic morning!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Piell posted:

I don't think this is true anymore. The +50% to all levies within your capital applies to subholdings, not just the main holding. So your desmesne should be the duchy of the county with the most potential castles (and cities if a republic/mosques if Muslim/both if a Muslim republic, I guess) in one province. Extra counties beyond that are a bonus but not as important as a big capital. Take Britannia: Essex is always your best bet because you can reasonably hold London, 3 extra baronies in London (provided the AI doesn't build cities/temples in the empty slots), plus Essex/Bedford/Northampton. That's a desmesne of 7, which will likely prevent you from holding a second duchy until much later on when you've pumped legalism up.

Paris has the same thing, but is more pronounced: it's got loads of subholding capacity, which makes it far more valuable than, say, Normandy, despite being 2-3 counties smaller. Constantinople actually took a big hit in the patch because of this, as even in 867 it only has 2 baronies, with the rest of the subholdings filled out with a temple and 3 cities. (Which actually makes it by far and away the most valuable capital for a Republic, I guess :shobon:)

This also lets you stack your steward and marshal in your capital to boost troops/income even higher.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Is grabbing more counties in Ireland and destroying their parent duchy a good way to set it up? I'm just trying to find a good use for the rest of the 10 demesne I can hold.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is it weird for the Byzantine Emperor to marry his heir off to the daughter of the Doge of Amalfi? It's my highest title, I don't even have a king title yet.

Also how should I be giving out counties as a republic? Should I make them all grand cities or should I make landed nobles too?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mustang posted:

Is it weird for the Byzantine Emperor to marry his heir off to the daughter of the Doge of Amalfi? It's my highest title, I don't even have a king title yet.

Also how should I be giving out counties as a republic? Should I make them all grand cities or should I make landed nobles too?

Mayors will never try to get your title, never inherit other titles to grow in power and they pay more taxes, both for city taxes being higher by default and by making more money than a baron.

Feudal vassals give you better troops.

Choose what is more important to you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left there through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 14, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left their through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

Have you tried stabbing him? (I feel dumb for asking that in the CK2 thread.)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Have you tried stabbing him? (I feel dumb for asking that in the CK2 thread.)

Yep. His successor just walks into the mayor's manor and sees 2 little Spanish Princesses, shrugs and goes "finders keepers".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left there through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

You should really always be able to get your family back. Give save and I'll try annoying the CK2 team with it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

You should really always be able to get your family back. Give save and I'll try annoying the CK2 team with it.

It's an ironman game.

The only way I can get the heir's educated is if one of my vassals volunteers, but they still stay in the foreign court.

edit: For some reason I thought CK2 Ironman saves worked like EU4. Here's the save: https://mega.co.nz/#!N1RSXCTY!vg1SwyVvrD6YU8ZmPp1Aga50JeJzLPuRUM7vbD-3xac

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 14, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks!

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Node posted:

I've imperial reconquested a few kingdoms down to where their king only owns one county. One thing I find incredibly retarded is the Kingdom of Bavaria has its crown laws set to lowest, where you can't revoke titles. He is pissy he doesn't own all the duchies, so I'd revoke them, but I can't. The Bavarian Crown Laws don't allow revocation. I've played this game for a few hundred hours and this is the first time I've ran into that and I find that sorta retarded. You aren't a king, you own one county, and I'm your emperor, I'm destroying your loving title. But no, his laws won't let me because his own banana republic doesn't have the authority.

You don't necessarily have to revoke his missing De-jure titles to hand them back to him. If the current holders are your direct vassals and are of a lesser rank than your vassal king, you can simply transfer their vassalage back to him. That will usually make him happy.

On the other hand, if the De-Jure vassals he wants are under another vassal king, you'll have to retract them from that king first. This will make them your direct vassals, but will also piss of the king you retracted from and probably also cause a Tyranny malus and even a chance of revolt. And Of course, if that other king owns the titles directly you'll still have to revoke them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zoinker posted:

You don't necessarily have to revoke his missing De-jure titles to hand them back to him. If the current holders are your direct vassals and are of a lesser rank than your vassal king, you can simply transfer their vassalage back to him. That will usually make him happy.

On the other hand, if the De-Jure vassals he wants are under another vassal king, you'll have to retract them from that king first. This will make them your direct vassals, but will also piss of the king you retracted from and probably also cause a Tyranny malus and even a chance of revolt. And Of course, if that other king owns the titles directly you'll still have to revoke them.

You either misread or I mistyped. The King of Bavaria was reconquested down to one county. He wants a bunch of his de jure duchies which are just under the empire's direct control. I could transfer vassalage to those duchies he wants, but it will make him too powerful. I just want to destroy his kingdom title so he stops bitching but since bavarian crown laws don't allow revocation, I can't.

You're basically a loving count, I should be able to curbstomp your title if you're that puny of a vassal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

You either misread or I mistyped. The King of Bavaria was reconquested down to one county. He wants a bunch of his de jure duchies which are just under the empire's direct control. I could transfer vassalage to those duchies he wants, but it will make him too powerful. I just want to destroy his kingdom title so he stops bitching but since bavarian crown laws don't allow revocation, I can't.

You're basically a loving count, I should be able to curbstomp your title if you're that puny of a vassal.

He is your vassal and you cannot revoke his kingdom because his crown authority is too low? That is hilarious, and horrible of course.

Let him bitch, a one county king cannot do anything against you. After the kingdom has drifted into the Roman Empire, the empire's crown laws will supersede the kingdom crown laws and you can revoke his descendant's kingdom.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Torrannor posted:

He is your vassal and you cannot revoke his kingdom because his crown authority is too low? That is hilarious, and horrible of course.

Exactly. It's really dumb. What's stopping me, exactly? I should get a tyrant penalty like any other kingdom revocation.

I guess I could fabricate a claim on his only county. But still, what the poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

Exactly. It's really dumb. What's stopping me, exactly? I should get a tyrant penalty like any other kingdom revocation.

I guess I could fabricate a claim on his only county. But still, what the poo poo.

Grant him independence and then conquer him again, with a de jure conquest through the de jure duke of his county. The kingdom title will be destroyed then.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Node posted:

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Is simply imprisoning and banishing him an option, or does minimum CA cockblock that as well?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

I have some questions about forming kingdoms and inheritance laws.

I hold an empire I've just switched to primogeniture (Russia) and two de-jure member kingdoms. One (Rus) is on primogeniture, and the other (Ruthenia) is gavelkind.

If I create a new kingdom, will its inheritance laws follow the highest level title, or is there some other calculation? Will holding one gavelkind kingdom mean any new ones will be gavelkind as well? Does it matter if the kingdom is a de-jure member of the empire? I can form Perm (a de-jure member) and Lithuania (not).

This has been an amazing game so far, starting as Rurik in 867. After forming the empire, probably prematurely, I had a desperate time trying to reform the Slavic faith and switch out of gavelkind before it shattered the empire into so many pieces. I lost Ruthenia to gavelkind then faced a massive invasion for Rus, which at one point had me down to -80 warscore. Just after I beat off the invasion Ruthenia revolted for independence, which was hair-raising at the time but at least got me the title back.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'll just leave this here...:laugh:

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Disappointing egg posted:

I have some questions about forming kingdoms and inheritance laws.

I hold an empire I've just switched to primogeniture (Russia) and two de-jure member kingdoms. One (Rus) is on primogeniture, and the other (Ruthenia) is gavelkind.

If I create a new kingdom, will its inheritance laws follow the highest level title, or is there some other calculation? Will holding one gavelkind kingdom mean any new ones will be gavelkind as well? Does it matter if the kingdom is a de-jure member of the empire? I can form Perm (a de-jure member) and Lithuania (not).

This has been an amazing game so far, starting as Rurik in 867. After forming the empire, probably prematurely, I had a desperate time trying to reform the Slavic faith and switch out of gavelkind before it shattered the empire into so many pieces. I lost Ruthenia to gavelkind then faced a massive invasion for Rus, which at one point had me down to -80 warscore. Just after I beat off the invasion Ruthenia revolted for independence, which was hair-raising at the time but at least got me the title back.

They'll follow your primary title. :) If you want a fun game I def. advise you to create all king titles as it adds more difficulty. On the other hand if you want your realm to be more stable you should not create them, as dukes will want the title and your children/future throne contestants will get claims on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
It looks like Paradox released two new unit graphic packs today for Anglo-Saxons and the Finno-Ugric cultures, respectively. The Finno-Ugric pack may be useful for fantasy mods and actually looks really good.

• Locked thread