Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but isn't 'financial situations' like the #1 reason security clearances are denied? It sucks but I would've squared that away before getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Stanos posted:

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but isn't 'financial situations' like the #1 reason security clearances are denied? It sucks but I would've squared that away before getting started.

Correct. Credit and Debt:Income ratio are huge markers. Someone who is living beyond their means or is in financial "situations" is more likely to take money for information.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Correct. Credit and Debt:Income ratio are huge markers. Someone who is living beyond their means or is in financial "situations" is more likely to take money for information.
It makes sense, but is there actual evidence of this, or is it another one of those things the government does because it sounds reasonable but they've never actually studied it even a little bit?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
It is what it is, but I made it known to the company and they did not care. it was the federal building who signs off on the security clearance that cared. it was literally the only debt I had ever incurred in my life aside from student loans, I've still to this day never even had a credit card.

the point of the story is, you can be hired, but still not get the job.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Security clearances are no joke. In the Navy I saw plenty of people lose their clearances, and if I remember correctly they were all due to financial reasons. Except the guy who stabbed someone. So, take care of your finances and also don't stab anyone.

On another note, just got stood up for an interview. Waited around, prepped, wore shoes, and nothing. 15 minutes later I call him and get sent straight to voicemail.

Major bummer, but I do already have a job that starts next month so I'm not too worried about it. After that last catastrophe of an interview (that still landed me the offer) I actually felt more ready for this one too.

edit: well he called back and we did the initial interview. Wasn't too intense, mostly focusing on experience with Crystal Reporting. Luckily, Crystal Reports is what we currently use at my current job, and I have played around a little to make changes to pre-existing reports, which helped on the interview, but they're looking for someone who can "hit the ground running" generating on-the-fly reports as needed with an upper management that is "not all the time patient when it comes to waiting for the reports". Also, I'd be 1 of only 2 people doing this job...

Realistically, could I even self-study that sort of thing to be effective at that job, or am I better off staying at the 4 month contract to perm position I have that is already good to go?

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 13, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

It makes sense, but is there actual evidence of this, or is it another one of those things the government does because it sounds reasonable but they've never actually studied it even a little bit?

Aldritch Ames, and all of the Cambridge Five had problems, but they were mostly ideological. Ames turned simply for the money.

ZetsurinPower posted:

the point of the story is, you can be hired, but still not get the job.
*when the offer is contingent

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
or if you're like I was, and stuck in a catch 22 where you needed a job to pay the debt, but you couldn't get the job because you had debt, go ahead and make a $20 payment on it or something like that. Turns out if I had proof of even one tiny payment they would have given me the clearance. Unfortunately I was broke and didn't have the luxury of selling off one of my butlers.

funny enough, I know people who did massive amounts of drugs and admitted to it in the background check, received clearances with no problem. They really only deny people they view as being at risk for blackmail/extortion/theft

evol262 posted:

*when the offer is contingent

the contractor said it wouldn't be a problem, they were actually surprised I was denied clearance and tried to negotiate with the person in charge of clearances.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
YOTJ Quest update: Plenty of interviews coming my way and in all cases that I've been called, I've had a Face to Face request. AND I might double my currently pitiful rate. I'm actualy looking forward to the coming week.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ZetsurinPower posted:

or if you're like I was, and stuck in a catch 22 where you needed a job to pay the debt, but you couldn't get the job because you had debt, go ahead and make a $20 payment on it or something like that. Turns out if I had proof of even one tiny payment they would have given me the clearance. Unfortunately I was broke and didn't have the luxury of selling off one of my butlers.

funny enough, I know people who did massive amounts of drugs and admitted to it in the background check, received clearances with no problem. They really only deny people they view as being at risk for blackmail/extortion/theft
If you were getting a single-scope, these people also had to swear that they only did it for experimentation and that they don't do it anymore. If it was for a C or S, you shouldn't have had a check at all (all of this assumes it's DoD). It's one of those stupid things where admitting that you have a beer after work most days means you're an alcoholic and denied, but it's much safer to admit that you've done drugs because they're gonna find out when they do interviews and lying is an immediate fail on the clearance.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that it's a logical policy, or that it's fair, but it is what it is.

ZetsurinPower posted:

the contractor said it wouldn't be a problem, they were actually surprised I was denied clearance and tried to negotiate with the person in charge of clearances.

Contractors never think it'll be a problem. DSS doesn't really negotiate, though. The investigator sends a report off to a faceless bureaucracy and you get a yes, no, or "temporary, more investigation needed" stamp. Appeals are hard, and while you might be able to appeal a temp->no decision into a yes or another temp pending them talking to references of your references, a no->yes is super unlikely.

/derail. There's probably a thread about DSS stupidity somewhere in Goons in Platoons

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

YOTJ Quest update: Plenty of interviews coming my way and in all cases that I've been called, I've had a Face to Face request. AND I might double my currently pitiful rate. I'm actualy looking forward to the coming week.

Lucky you! My market is contractor flooded at the moment so I've had plenty of phone interviews and few face to face. Keep on truckin'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Old job called me and they offered me a job. Choice of two new locations they have, too bad they both suck.

Chicago suburbs - no thanks. Maybe if it was in the city.

Greensboro, NC - no thanks. Why can't it be on the coast?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Old job called me and they offered me a job. Choice of two new locations they have, too bad they both suck.

Chicago suburbs - no thanks. Maybe if it was in the city.

Greensboro, NC - no thanks. Why can't it be on the coast?

If you can't do it for yourself, please do it spare me the daily :emo: of your current job.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Project lead summoned me and another employee into his office using an ominous "Get <coworker> and come to my office ASAP". We come in and close the door and our expressions are not one of pleasant surprise or mellow greeting, but to his credit the project lead picked that up immediately and quickly said "nothing bad guys, just had to ask you something."

He wanted to know if my coworker or I wanted to move from the Server Farm team to the Event Management team. Event Management is, of course, the name of the helldesk. Granted it's not as bad as some of the other places I've done helldesk work, but the idea of doing nothing but answering phones all day makes me all suicidal. I may bitch and moan about some of the things I need to do, but I will never complain about it being uninteresting or varied. I get to work with hardware, software, VMs, networking, and everything in between. My coworker and I both said not only no, but hell no.

Apparently a contract is being cancelled and there are a number of people who the company would rather bring over to our unit, specifically a former coworker who left us to go take a management position for the other contract, but she wanted to come back and join the Server Farm team, but we don't have any open spots. I feel sorry for her since she was an awesome coworker, but frankly I've still got more that I want to learn from this job, and I'm not leaving it for at least another 6-12 months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Should get the results of a couple of rounds of interviews by mid next week at the latest for a potential :yotj:. Interviews went really well, company seems great, future colleagues too. It's the sole IT contact for the London office of a fairly large design consultancy so some interesting challenges as well as lots of variation. Desperate to not go down the MSP route so hopefully this works out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

If you were getting a single-scope, these people also had to swear that they only did it for experimentation and that they don't do it anymore. If it was for a C or S, you shouldn't have had a check at all (all of this assumes it's DoD). It's one of those stupid things where admitting that you have a beer after work most days means you're an alcoholic and denied, but it's much safer to admit that you've done drugs because they're gonna find out when they do interviews and lying is an immediate fail on the clearance.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that it's a logical policy, or that it's fair, but it is what it is.

Contractors never think it'll be a problem. DSS doesn't really negotiate, though. The investigator sends a report off to a faceless bureaucracy and you get a yes, no, or "temporary, more investigation needed" stamp. Appeals are hard, and while you might be able to appeal a temp->no decision into a yes or another temp pending them talking to references of your references, a no->yes is super unlikely.

/derail. There's probably a thread about DSS stupidity somewhere in Goons in Platoons

During my TS interview it seemed like they cared more about alcohol use than drug use. I was never even interviewed for my Secret, but from what I've gathered that's changing as they try to tighten the process following two large information disclosures and a crazy guy shooting up the Navy Yard.

Stupor Mundi
Jan 10, 2008
Filil Hobenstaufenin osculamini asinum meum.
Several posters gave me some great advice a few months ago about finishing up my bachelors (MIS at a public state college in Florida) and seeking internships to get relevant experience. Well, the good news is I landed a volunteer semester-long Systems Administration internship with a professor of networking. I also managed to get a paid work-study gig tutoring intro T-SQL, Java and basic programming. Because the advice given previously was inspiring and helpful, I wanted to seek some opinions on graduate studies.

How do some of the IT professionals in this thread feel about pursuing graduate degrees in IT-related fields? One school in Florida really caught my eye, it's a private not-for-profit school with several IT-related programs. I'm just curious about the ROI, in your opinions, on this school's programs and similar programs at other institutions.
Here's a link to the program: http://www.scis.nova.edu/masters/msit.html
Both the Database and Administration tracks interest me. Is this something that people generally pursue after working in the field for several years? Or do you think it's worthwhile to earn straight out of an undergraduate institution?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I think they've slammed the brakes on the processing of clearances. All of them seem to be going slowly. I've been in-process waiting on a TS interview for months. The contractors seem to know it's extra slow going, too. They're pretty much only considering candidates who are already cleared around here.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Stupor Mundi posted:

How do some of the IT professionals in this thread feel about pursuing graduate degrees in IT-related fields? One school in Florida really caught my eye, it's a private not-for-profit school with several IT-related programs. I'm just curious about the ROI, in your opinions, on this school's programs and similar programs at other institutions.
Both the Database and Administration tracks interest me. Is this something that people generally pursue after working in the field for several years? Or do you think it's worthwhile to earn straight out of an undergraduate institution?
An MS is a good investment if you're shooting for management. As I understand it, a typical MS in IT covers more planning, design, management, and policymaking than anything else (it varies by program). I would recommend against moving straight from your undergrad to a Master's. Most IT openings that require a Master's will also require at least 5 years of experience, and a lot of them will be in IT management.

All the Masters students I knew in our MIS department were already working full-time jobs and came back for their MS to help them jump into a management or architecture role.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Stupor Mundi posted:

Several posters gave me some great advice a few months ago about finishing up my bachelors (MIS at a public state college in Florida) and seeking internships to get relevant experience. Well, the good news is I landed a volunteer semester-long Systems Administration internship with a professor of networking. I also managed to get a paid work-study gig tutoring intro T-SQL, Java and basic programming. Because the advice given previously was inspiring and helpful, I wanted to seek some opinions on graduate studies.

Like Cenodoxus said, an MS will help you advance quickly into the management track with a larger organization if that's your goal. I'd advise against trying to get into management roles before you've spent a significant amount of time in the trenches, though, because a lot of what you're taught about IT management in an academic setting is really bad advice. You'll learn all about the wrong ways to manage projects, interact with technical people, handle the component parts of IT Service Management. You'll learn hundreds of things that someone decided are best practice that are bad advice and will make all your reports hate you. Spending time doing hands-on work as an individual contributor will help you differentiate good policy from religion.

Speaking less ideologically, many hiring managers are suspicious of anyone applying for an entry-level position with a graduate degree. Wait until you have some practical work experience under your belt before you start applying for grad schools.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Seconding other posters, I'd wait to get your graduate. Anecdotal but a lot of my friends who went on to get masters degrees but didn't have the experience to back it up only made problems for themselves if they listed it on their resume. Entry-level jobs will assume you're going to bail when you get a better offer and the jobs that require masters are going to give you weird looks without in-job experience.

A good rule I've read is that you should be getting paid or someone should be paying YOU to get your master's.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

As a sysadmin I have never felt even the slightest wish that I had an MS, for what it's worth. If I ever pursue any kind of post grad education, it will probably be an MBA or other business/management degree.

If I were coming into the industry with minimal experience and an MS I'd actually be worried about pricing myself out of jobs. You're not going to get call backs because you're applying to be a junior admin but people are going to assume you want super senior level compensation.

Skip the MS and plow the money into a few certs or working a really educational but low-paying internship. IT isn't like other sciences where you want to hang out in grad school til your mid 30's before landing your first job ;)

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Skimming job postings and this made me giggle:
"You properly hold a Master or bachelor degree in IT, Engineering or similar relevant education and is fluent in English."

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Update! I quit.

Today I went in to talk to my boss.
Asked if we could talk in private.
I asked him: what's the status of my salary?
He said, it's good.
I say, what's good? Do you have it for me?
No but any day now,
Could you at least give me a part of it.
Just wait it's coming in any day now
Before the end of this month?
Yes something like that.
Okay if you don't pay me before the end of the month, I quit (this is the 1st time I said it to his face.)
He did not take that well, and he said things like, you now me, if it were any other person I'd tell them to leave immediately, you saw what happened with <other co-worker>. I said, yes I know, but it needs to be said. you haven't payed me for 11 months, I need an income and if you don't want to give it to me, I will have to search for a place that will pay on time. He then said, I have never heard of this. You are digging your own grave. You are not the only one who is waiting on their money. <other co-workers> haven't been paid longer than you, and they just wait. This company is going to become big, you have really thrown your future away, I was looking for a home for you, I would have given you 2% of the shares or stock or however you call it.

Then he went on and on and kept berating me. For being a money whore, not understanding what I just said. I tried talking back. Just because you haven't paid in 11 months makes me a money whore, I'm not talking about the future. I am talking about what we agreed upon. He wouldn't listen and I just said. I quit. then I had to tell them what to do with the systems, since I am the only System Administrator, I kept it short saying they need to look for another IT guy, I will no longer do work for them. He said he wants to pay me as soon as possible and doesn't want to do anything with me any more.
So I need to talk to the account next week. He also refused to shake my hand and was convinced I did not do this on my own. That I was indoctrinated. we talked for about 2 hours, he went on and on about, if I just waited one month or if I just said I need some money now, he would have given it to me (I did that this morning and on multiple occasions)
I had to sign a document that says I will no longer log into the company network do work and that they can't pursue me any more (if anything goes wrong).
I am now done with this company. I will only keep in touch with the accountant regarding my money next week.

I hope I did the right thing. I have not contacted a lawyer nor do I plan to ones he pays next week. and I signed a Non Disclosure Agreement when I started, so I don't know if I can do anything.

Also now that I am on the job market. I was thinking about dropping my CV at some temp agencies. But would it be worth to let that CV writing company that is on this site make my CV? I think I am going to apply to some help desk job offerings.
It will be part time.
I am now broke and while I can pay that CV writing company, I would go a little bit in debt, but not much, maybe like 200 euro's

Does their CV writing apply to the Netherlands?
I'm now going to school to take my final exam in Cisco Network Fundementals.

Edited for punctuation and small mistakes

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 14, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You live in the Netherlands? The non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to literally not paying you for 11 months. Hell, demand the money through court, or request a bankruptcy of the company (since obviously they can't pay). Get your former colleagues into it if you're doing the latter.

Welcome to visit the Dutch thread in SAL, btw. We have two future lawyers there, iirc.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sefal posted:

Update! I quit.

He said, it's good.
No but any day now,
Yes something like that.
Okay if you don't pay me before the end of the month, I quit (this is the 1st time I said it to his face.)
He did not take that well, and he said things like, you now me, if it were any other person I'd tell them to leave immediately, you saw what happened with <other co-worker>. I said, yes I know, but it needs to be said. you haven't payed me for 11 months, I need an income and if you don't want to give it to me, I will have to search for a place that will pay on time. He then said, I have never heard of this. You are digging your own grave. You are not the only one who is waiting on their money. <other co-workers> haven't been paid longer than you, and they just wait. This company is going to become big, you have really thrown your future away, I was looking for a home for you, I would have given you 2% of the shares or stock or however you call it.

Then he went on and on and kept berating me. For being a money whore, not understanding what I just said. I tried talking back. Just because you haven't paid in 11 months makes me a money whore, I'm not talking about the future. I am talking about what we agreed upon. He wouldn't listen and I just said. I quit. then I had to tell them what to do with the systems, since I am the only System Administrator, I kept it short saying they need to look for another IT guy, I will no longer do work for them. He said he wants to pay me as soon as possible and doesn't want to do anything with me any more.
So I need to talk to the account next week. He also refused to shake my hand and was convinced I did not do this on my own. That I was indoctrinated. we talked for about 2 hours, he went on and on about, if I just waited one month or if I just said I need some money now, he would have given it to me (I did that this morning and on multiple occasions)
I had to sign a document that says I will no longer log into the company network do work and that they can't pursue me any more (if anything goes wrong).
I am now done with this company. I will only keep in touch with the accountant regarding my money next week.

I hope I did the right thing. I have not contacted a lawyer nor do I plan to ones he pays next week. and I signed a Non Disclosure Agreement when I started, so I don't know if I can do anything.

Also now that I am on the job market. I was thinking about dropping my CV at some temp agencies. But would it be worth to let that CV writing company that is on this site make my CV? I think I am going to apply to some help desk job offerings.
It will be part time.
I am now broke and while I can pay that CV writing company, I would go a little bit in debt, but not much, maybe like 200 euro's

Contact a lawyer or you will never see the money.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Please do not be the goon in the well, contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Also do not wait until next week until talking with the accounting guy, just contact him now. By the sound of it, your former boss is sleazy enough to try and delete records of your work to dock the amount of money hes supposed to pay you. Don't give him time to do this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sefal posted:

Update! I quit.

He said, it's good.
No but any day now,
Yes something like that.

It will be part time.

I'd agree that it'd be wise to get your money if possible...

But, you did the right thing.

"Money whore?" hahaha, what the hell is that guy's problem. You can't expect people to work for 11 months unpaid. Well, apparently you can, but not 12 months.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus loving christ. Boss went from nice guy to a massive rear end in a top hat as soon as it was mentioned. And this has happened to other co-workers too? This guy is sleezy as gently caress. Money whore for wanting him to honour an agreement, what a dumbarse.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Sefal posted:

Update! I quit.

You made the right choice here. 11 months without pay is just insane. Wish you all the best with everything :)

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I'm honestly not surprised that guy was a oval office. If someone doesn't pay you for an entire year (Or close to it), you can bet that he's a poo poo. He was only staying sweet because he knew he could pull the wool over your eyes.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I'm honestly not surprised that guy was a oval office. If someone doesn't pay you for an entire year (Or close to it), you can bet that he's a poo poo. He was only staying sweet because he knew he could pull the wool over your eyes.

And thats exactly why he will still try to weasel out of paying and why a lawyer/union should be involved regardless of what he promised.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

Jesus loving christ. Boss went from nice guy to a massive rear end in a top hat as soon as it was mentioned. And this has happened to other co-workers too? This guy is sleezy as gently caress. Money whore for wanting him to honour an agreement, what a dumbarse.

No he didn't. I said it before: the boss was always a massive rear end in a top hat, he is just a skilled manipulator and social engineer. Nobody who withholds pay from employees for 11 months is a nice guy.

Sefal, go to your equivalent of the labor board and get legal help, they will likely be able to put you in touch with a lawyer that offers a free consultation and that works on consideration. And don't think of this as you having lost anything. You were already broke. You already didn't have an income. The only thing that's changed is that you now have more time to correct that situation by finding another job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

You were under no obligation to sign anything just because he asked you, by the way. It may put you in a worse position as you try to collect evidence of the amount of unpaid work you actually did for this guy.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

Update! I quit.

Good for you for standing up and quitting! But, you are still never going to get paid and you need to see a lawyer NOW. This guy is NEVER going to pay you, EVER. EVER.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What would a 'masters in IT' even be? MIS is for people who 'like computers' but can't program, right?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Bob Morales posted:

What would a 'masters in IT' even be? MIS is for people who 'like computers' but can't program, right?

I'll be starting my MIS in a few weeks and I think that is a fair description.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
yeah I live in the Netherlands,

I believe there are no logs of me in the system.
I made user login logs for everyone, but my laptop was a W7 home edition and couldn't join the domain so I have no logs.

I am not counting on that money anyway. My family also don't think I can prove he owes me money

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sefal posted:

yeah I live in the Netherlands,

I believe there are no logs of me in the system.
I made user login logs for everyone, but my laptop was a W7 home edition and couldn't join the domain so I have no logs.

I am not counting on that money anyway. My family also don't think I can prove he owes me money

Listen, quitting was a very very good thing. You needed to get out of there. But unless your entire family is comprised of labor law lawyers don't listen to them. Talk half an hour out of your day to talk to a lawyer and let them tell you that you have no case.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Depends. Some are more focused on systems integration, analysis, and engineering. Others are more centered on IT management and utilizing IT systems to support business needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jim truds posted:

Listen, quitting was a very very good thing. You needed to get out of there. But unless your entire family is comprised of labor law lawyers don't listen to them. Talk half an hour out of your day to talk to a lawyer and let them tell you that you have no case.

This. Don't become goon_in_a_well.txt, go to someone who knows about the law.

• Locked thread