Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
I finally burnt out on Pocket Knights, was trolling the lists for random stuff to play and found a pretty cool little pair of games made by the same company. It's a CCG but the battle system is completely different than most, your cards have base attack and then abilities that are triggered by a grid of 6 icons that are randomly rolled, you can lock one or all of them and then reroll twice more, creating a kind of strategy on what you keep vs. risk for more rewards.

I spend money like an idiot on these games but there's literally no reason to as you start with a decent amount of cards then as you battle you get a random reward out of 8 things win or lose as well as some ingame currency. If you get a duplicate card you can level up the one you have, there aren't so many cards that this takes very long to get things up a level with more skills.

Anyway just check them out, I have been pleasantly surprised. Eredan is the 'main' one and Battle G Girls is an obvious catering to people who like busty anime card art but weirdly enough I've found that one to be more strategic as there are also card quality levels as well as cards that have 'All:' buffs making an overall strategy beyond 'do more damage' viable, so despite my possible embarrassment I'd recommend that one too:

I don't know what you get for putting in a referral but I might as well list mine:

"Battle G. Girls - Cards game" (ref 594728)
"Eredan Arena - Card Game" (ref E72CC7)

Oh one more thing I love about them is that every game is versus another player, you can emote at them down at the bottom too.

They're weird but once you get past the initial wtf there's a fun little strategy game that you can pick up at any time as there's no energy, and play versus other people. Games are short but not too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another new free roguelike, it's pretty good so far and is party-based:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slothwerks.adventure&hl=en

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looking for racing game recommendations. I was enjoying Asphalt 8 for a while, but I got bored of grinding for credits. Anything fun out there that's not IAP-based?

cprun0227
Nov 25, 2002
what
Doom and Destiny https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hb.doom_and_destiny&hl=en is a pretty good RPG tribute/parody of Final Fantasy, with a few nods to Zelda and Mario as well. It apparently was a PC game that got ported, and it's been pretty fun 25 hours in. There's quite a bit of RPG geek humor, but it(usually) doesn't go over the top. It's not ultra challenging even on its highest difficulty(just before the final stage right now with some post game content still left), but it's still challenging enough to not be boring. The only downsides are the controls take some getting used to, and are kind of meh overall. Also you use the same 4 characters throughout, although it's there is a decent amount of customization.

Basic setup is level ups give your characters 3 stat points, which you can put in 4 different stats. Each stat gives you a power slot when you put 6 points into it, and requires one more for each slot after. You purchase all powers for your characters, and each power is only usable by one person(although there are equivalent powers for some people). There's a bunch of other cool little features that make it a pretty fun experience.

Also Wesnoth is pretty drat fun as well, a lot of challenging scenarios that have been added on.I'd say it's probably the best turned based strategy on Android that I can think of. Definitely have to pick that back up

cprun0227 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 12, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

precision posted:

Another new free roguelike, it's pretty good so far and is party-based:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slothwerks.adventure&hl=en

Oh whoops, I totally thought this had been posted in the roguelike thread! Well, I posted a quick review of it over there

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

RentACop posted:

Short answer yes, long answer it's more of a speed thing as you can get small amounts of silver by doing missions. But yeah they are better than the starting brigades, mainly because they usually come with a hero leader with a powerful ability. The nun in the medical tank is amazing

Of course that said you won't need any of that to beat the missions, but once it comes to pvp you'll get hammered. Though with THAT said, you start off with enough silver for one brigade, and since you'll be bringing two brigades to battle that's halfway there

The nuns good? I've been playing the game a bit and doesn't she have really low initiative? Seems like it would be a big liability.

Good game, I just wish that it didn't lock up your best brigades during the multiplayer battles.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The Room 2 is out on Android. Everyone go buy that poo poo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FireproofStudios.TheRoom2

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Argh, not compatible! but I love the first one and have a Maxx!

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Demerzel posted:

I finally burnt out on Pocket Knights, was trolling the lists for random stuff to play and found a pretty cool little pair of games made by the same company. It's a CCG but the battle system is completely different than most, your cards have base attack and then abilities that are triggered by a grid of 6 icons that are randomly rolled, you can lock one or all of them and then reroll twice more, creating a kind of strategy on what you keep vs. risk for more rewards.

I spend money like an idiot on these games but there's literally no reason to as you start with a decent amount of cards then as you battle you get a random reward out of 8 things win or lose as well as some ingame currency. If you get a duplicate card you can level up the one you have, there aren't so many cards that this takes very long to get things up a level with more skills.

Anyway just check them out, I have been pleasantly surprised. Eredan is the 'main' one and Battle G Girls is an obvious catering to people who like busty anime card art but weirdly enough I've found that one to be more strategic as there are also card quality levels as well as cards that have 'All:' buffs making an overall strategy beyond 'do more damage' viable, so despite my possible embarrassment I'd recommend that one too:

I don't know what you get for putting in a referral but I might as well list mine:

"Battle G. Girls - Cards game" (ref 594728)
"Eredan Arena - Card Game" (ref E72CC7)

Oh one more thing I love about them is that every game is versus another player, you can emote at them down at the bottom too.

They're weird but once you get past the initial wtf there's a fun little strategy game that you can pick up at any time as there's no energy, and play versus other people. Games are short but not too short.

Picked up Eredan Arena and am enjoying it. Can't figure out where to put your ref code, though.

Seems like shield guys are only useful when you go first.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Can you see the requirements anywhere? I'm guessing it's tablet only but I would like to know for sure why it's not supported for my phone.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Rubicon posted:

Picked up Eredan Arena and am enjoying it. Can't figure out where to put your ref code, though.

Seems like shield guys are only useful when you go first.

Don't worry about the ref code I think it just prompts you when you start, I have no idea what if anything you get and I just get a tiny bit of ingame currency so it's not like other games where you get heaps of stuff.

Shield is extremely good in both, in G Girls I have someone who has All: Shield which makes her my primary girl to start with if she's one of the original 3. Single shield is good but when you start facing lvl 2/3 cards the abilities start at the bottom so Shield is still useful if you don't go first if it's your bottom ability.

Other things you might not know:

Fireball reduces the target's damage by 10 per fireball.
Lightning makes every sequential hit after it do 15 more damage per lightning.
"Opp. Powder" puts 2 charges on the enemy that explode for 375 when you do a regular melee.
Rage makes you do more damage as you get hit (and is pretty poo poo)
Berserk makes you do more damage as you hit kinda like lightning.

In either game you can tap the card to see it then tap the abilities down at the bottom and it will tell you this kind of thing.

I'm playing both but I still prefer G Girls because of the strategy involved with different card values and slightly more complexity. Plus the battle music owns.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Worms 2: Armageddon is on sale right now for $0.99

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.worms2armageddon.app

ppiixx
Nov 2, 2012

Eruonen posted:

Can you see the requirements anywhere? I'm guessing it's tablet only but I would like to know for sure why it's not supported for my phone.

Says my n5 is supported if that helps.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
UniWar HD was good, turn-based strategy. Nothing earth-shattering but I enjoyed it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Argyle posted:

Looking for racing game recommendations. I was enjoying Asphalt 8 for a while, but I got bored of grinding for credits. Anything fun out there that's not IAP-based?

A few of us still play Real Racing 3. Though I have been having problems with Google+ working with it so I am always racing as Guest so i don't see the other guys stuff.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ppiixx posted:

Says my n5 is supported if that helps.

Looks like other people have the same incompatibility issue. The developers are asking those affected for their phone details on Twitter.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea, my Moto X was not compatible at first. Sent them a message and it was fixed in a couple hours.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Demerzel posted:

Don't worry about the ref code I think it just prompts you when you start, I have no idea what if anything you get and I just get a tiny bit of ingame currency so it's not like other games where you get heaps of stuff.

Shield is extremely good in both, in G Girls I have someone who has All: Shield which makes her my primary girl to start with if she's one of the original 3. Single shield is good but when you start facing lvl 2/3 cards the abilities start at the bottom so Shield is still useful if you don't go first if it's your bottom ability.

Other things you might not know:

Fireball reduces the target's damage by 10 per fireball.
Lightning makes every sequential hit after it do 15 more damage per lightning.
"Opp. Powder" puts 2 charges on the enemy that explode for 375 when you do a regular melee.
Rage makes you do more damage as you get hit (and is pretty poo poo)
Berserk makes you do more damage as you hit kinda like lightning.

In either game you can tap the card to see it then tap the abilities down at the bottom and it will tell you this kind of thing.

I'm playing both but I still prefer G Girls because of the strategy involved with different card values and slightly more complexity. Plus the battle music owns.

thanks didn't know any of that. I'll give G Girls a try, but playing at work, so can't hear the music. only time I play games on my phone.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Me and a couple guys I know threw together a quick game and stuck it on Android market:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iddybiddygames.bananarang

Let me know what you guys think!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rubicon posted:

thanks didn't know any of that. I'll give G Girls a try, but playing at work, so can't hear the music. only time I play games on my phone.

For what it's worth, you should probably not play G Girls at work. If you could find a way to blank the art, it's the superior game.. but you should not play it at work.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Present posted:

The nuns good? I've been playing the game a bit and doesn't she have really low initiative? Seems like it would be a big liability.

It is a liability, but (almost) always going last means it's a bit easier to consistently plan out your moves, she also has a heal that hits all your units on the battlefield

edit: I should say I don't play much multi at all

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 14, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

UraniumAnchor posted:

Me and a couple guys I know threw together a quick game and stuck it on Android market:

Like the name. :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

Your description needs a copy editor and your screenshots do not do a good job of showing off gameplay or make it look interesting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

UraniumAnchor posted:

Alright, here's a couple of things. The gameplay is simple, but I guess it's enough to build upon with more types of apes, power-ups and whatnot. Not my cup of tea, though.
And then there's technical stuff. I know that Unity is somewhat cumbersome (because it's meant for 3D games?), but 15 Mb? I presume you have assets for tablets in the same .apk or something like that, which isn't nice. People often neglect updates of even smaller apps, so you might want to look into doing something about it if you're planning to continue working on the game. Another thing is that the app doesn't handle Back and Menu buttons. And I personally hate apps that don't.
Good luck with that, anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I played a couple rounds and while cute, it's not really my thing, I feel like there's too many times (way too early? maybe slow down the monkeys' "dive speed" more during early play like the first 30-60 seconds?) when I would have a monkey spawn just behind my character while he was moving in the wrong direction, then I'd have to either skip the others I was moving across to get back to him, or just suck it up. Possibly you could add something like some angled attack-tosses via a couple of extra (Left/Right) buttons or something?

Took me a bit to realize I could rapid-tap to throw multiple bananarangs, maybe add a loading screen tip?

I can't see myself playing a lot of it, maybe if the field was wider with more bananaballs than 3 to defend (then of course it might feel too much like PvZ or something, but without buying units - that said maybe buying upgrades with points you accumulate or something, could add replayability?).

A friend of mine wrote a Missile Command clone named "Crop Command" a while back, where you bought seeds/clones for weed plants which you would then defend during waves of missiles coming down. You could also buy upgrades to the size of your basic attack's radius, and buy super bomb shots and stuff, for times when it was simply not possible to move around quickly enough.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 14, 2014

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Potsticker posted:

Your description needs a copy editor and your screenshots do not do a good job of showing off gameplay or make it look interesting.

I wrote the description in about 15 seconds so this isn't terribly surprising. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Paladinus posted:

And then there's technical stuff. I know that Unity is somewhat cumbersome (because it's meant for 3D games?), but 15 Mb? I presume you have assets for tablets in the same .apk or something like that, which isn't nice. People often neglect updates of even smaller apps, so you might want to look into doing something about it if you're planning to continue working on the game. Another thing is that the app doesn't handle Back and Menu buttons. And I personally hate apps that don't.

Unity has a fair bit of overhead even on mobile so there isn't a lot I can do to shrink it. The most significant asset in terms of size is the music track, and shrinking that wouldn't really make enough difference.

Back button is an easy fix and something I forgot to double check. It'll be fixed whenever an update goes out. Already have a couple other things we're tweaking.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

I wrote the description in about 15 seconds so this isn't terribly surprising. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

It shows. Even if you feel like you've put a lot of time and effort into a project, the store page will be what people see first about your game. If it looks like you spent 15 seconds on it, people will assume you put the same amount of effort into your game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Also, saying you're "open to suggestions" reads as "someone else do the work for me." Which is fine, because good engineers are terrible at doing anything that isn't their field of expertise. Good news though, because I already gave you a suggestion in my original comment. Get a copy editor. When in doubt, if you can't/don't want to do something, find someone who can.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
You seem to be assuming I'm not considering doing just that, but on the other hand that's hardly the only answer. "Get a copy editor" is all well and good but I'm not sure where to go about hiring somebody to write three lines. Maybe there's a goon thread on SA-Mart?

Also the initial release was a one day project (other than just getting the build pipeline working) so I'm not overly concerned about polish yet. If it helps you can consider it a beta.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 14, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

but 15 Mb?

15Mb is like 1/10th the size of most games I've downloaded recently.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm just giving advice based on what I can see.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah, seriously. 15 megs, who cares.

Edit: also "hire a new employee" is not a realistic suggestion for two dudes who cranked out a free game for funsies.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 14, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I know it's lame, but is anyone playing Dungeon Keeper? If there is, can we make a guild? I think it's quite fun, but I love DK, and I won't be spending any money on this. Suck it EA!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

It's also ten times the size of games I have downloaded recently. The thing is it's a very basic game and it's 15 Mb already and probably will get bigger in future, which might be a problem in countries where you can't get WiFi from every park bench. It's not a huge issue, but size is important.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

It's also ten times the size of games I have downloaded recently. The thing is it's a very basic game and it's 15 Mb already and probably will get bigger in future, which might be a problem in countries where you can't get WiFi from every park bench. It's not a huge issue, but size is important.

Arguing that 15 Mb is too big is so 2007.

Hey, I got FF6 and it's not that bad. I really like the implementation of the active time battle system. I don't mind the graphics so much (I liked the upgrades when they did it for FFIV; I'm indifferent to these).

$16 bucks is a lot, but gamers need to stop simultaneously complaining about Dungeon Keeper's monetization scheme and balking at premium prices on 30 hour + masterpieces.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

UraniumAnchor posted:

You seem to be assuming I'm not considering doing just that, but on the other hand that's hardly the only answer. "Get a copy editor" is all well and good but I'm not sure where to go about hiring somebody to write three lines. Maybe there's a goon thread on SA-Mart?

Also the initial release was a one day project (other than just getting the build pipeline working) so I'm not overly concerned about polish yet. If it helps you can consider it a beta.

Fiverr sounds ideal for this, actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Hey, I got FF6 and it's not that bad. I really like the implementation of the active time battle system. I don't mind the graphics so much (I liked the upgrades when they did it for FFIV; I'm indifferent to these).

$16 bucks is a lot, but gamers need to stop simultaneously complaining about Dungeon Keeper's monetization scheme and balking at premium prices on 30 hour + masterpieces.

It's a twenty years old masterpiece with almost no new content at all. I don't see how those two types of complaints are mutually exclusive, frankly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

It's a twenty years old masterpiece with almost no new content at all. I don't see how those two types of complaints are mutually exclusive, frankly.

Did someone poo poo in your Wheaties? I probably shouldn't mention that the game is a few hundred MB...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Did someone poo poo in your Wheaties? I probably shouldn't mention that the game is a few hundred MB...
Well, excuse me for not being a middle class American. I'll see what I can do about it.
Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
People are simultaneously complaining about the DK monetization and the FF6 android remake is because they're both sub-par for the asking price. It's the same issue in different form, not proof of gamer entitlement.

Not that there isn't plenty of proof of that elsewhere.

• Locked thread