Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Received my Games of War Normandy shop today. Surprisingly good quality cast. Too bad the paint is flaking off here and there. Seems like they didn't bother to spray varnish it before packing it, which is a real shame, but nothing a few touch-ups won't fix. Free shipping meant I had no hesitation ordering a test building like this, and the result is good enough that I'll be ordering a whole lot of them for my FoW terrain collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Well, a little double-posting here, sorry about that.

Almost finished my first Canadian Rifle Platoon. Still need to paint 2 little guys with a PIAT, and base the light mortar, but I was just so anxious to see if I had gotten better at basing FoW dudes since doing my Panzergrenadier platoon in mono-colour static grass and brown earth.

Need to take pictures in the pathetic excuse for daylight we have right now in Scandinavia, or buy a lightbox.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
BF posted a preview for the new plastic Pz.IVH kit coming out. Naturally the forums have erupted into bouts of spergy rage over everything from the 8 spoke flywheel to the ground wheels being "too inline", the schurzen and whether or not the front glacis plate is too sloped. It's hilarious.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the kit. May be time for me to get a Panzer force going.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Are Luftwaffe Panzercompanies a thing? I wonder what the discount on Reluctant Trained Panzer IVHs would be.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Are Luftwaffe Panzercompanies a thing? I wonder what the discount on Reluctant Trained Panzer IVHs would be.

There's the Hermann Goring divisions in Italy (Dogs & Devils) which fields a mix of PIIIM,Ns and PIVHs. But they're Confident Vet just like most other German divisions (but don't suffer from 'Reich Divided' when they pal up with proper Luftwaffe or Fallschrimjagers).

If you want Reluctant Trained, you'll have to go Blood, Guts, and Glory, or Desperate Measures, but you'll be dealing with Pz.IVJs not Hs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

YF19pilot posted:

BF posted a preview for the new plastic Pz.IVH kit coming out. Naturally the forums have erupted into bouts of spergy rage over everything from the 8 spoke flywheel to the ground wheels being "too inline", the schurzen and whether or not the front glacis plate is too sloped. It's hilarious.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the kit. May be time for me to get a Panzer force going.

Looks like they've owned up to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am kind of tempted to email and ask for some even without buying the box, given how bloody impossible it is to get those drat supports off the sprue in one piece.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
God those old Schurtzen sprues are terrible, I put one set on a Panzer IV and then hated how it looked so I just left them off for the rest of them.

They :airquote:fell off:airquote:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Germans removed their Schurtzen for the fighting in Normandy since they kept getting caught in the shrubbery :eng101:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

I'm always quite impressed at Battlefront's willingness to say "yes, we hosed up."

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
They have had plenty of practice.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I'm always quite impressed at Battlefront's willingness to say "yes, we hosed up."

I actually did the first House subscription thing last year and they would charge my account at odd times with no warning and the houses were ready "whenever", it really put me off buying from BattleFront directly and I certainly would never, ever recommend any type of recurring subscription with BattleFront. I ended up getting my houses but it's just too risky and I wasn't completely satisfied on the quality, most houses needed a touch up because the paint was streaky and inconsistent (especially white) and I needed to modify some of the joining surfaces to get some rooves to sit properly.

The bonus villagers and fences etc. were nice I suppose but I don't really do dioramas so it's kind of wasted on me. I'd rather have had the houses delivered on time without nasty "By the way, we have 3 houses ready so we're going to charge you for that now" out of the blue.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Which book should I get for FoW Mid War germans?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Which book should I get for FoW Mid War germans?

You basically have only two choices: North Africa and Eastern Front. It boils down to, do you want to play DAK forces, or fight the Russian hordes?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I dunno, whatever lets me use Panzer IV G/Hs

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DJ Dizzy posted:

I dunno, whatever lets me use Panzer IV G/Hs

The Germans used the Panzer IV in every theater and period of the war. So you can pick a book and it will have Panzer IV's in it, though there are some big differences between a Panzer IV in 1939 and one in 1945...

So ether book will work if that is your only criteria.

Most people will state that the German lists out of Eastern Front are better as they have more variety in their support choices and represent the German army a little later in the war than the units that fought in Africa.

A Panzer IV F2/G/H/J's are pretty much interchangeable model wise. The H and J's tend to have skirts by default but otherwise the only visible differences are stuff like hatch shapes, the exhaust system, etc... that you might notice if you looked closely.

Keep in mind that the Panzer IV F2/G is very expensive points-wise in Mid-War so don't expect to field many of them. They are armed with what for the period might as well be a rail gun and that makes them pricey. Most people run them in platoons mixed with Panzer III's because of this. There are other Panzer IV's in midwar of course but other than the F1 variant (Direct fire smoke), I wouldn't recommend them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
To add to what numlock said, a platoon of five Pz.IVHs in the North Africa book (it's a Tunisia/Italy list, H's aren't available to DAK forces), you'd be paying 825 points, and it's an additional 25 points to include schurzen. So, 850 points in MW for what is 475 points in LW. But just remember that Shermans and most other common LW medium tanks will be equally expensive. PIIIs and PIVFs are still very viable tanks in this period. Tiger Is are still scary, too.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I got my first historical minis this weekend, a Legionnare Command by Warlord Games; loved the minis, but they seem rather small for a 28mm. Are Warlord minis generally the smaller of the 28 mm range? I was going to buy a bunch of them, but if Perry or Gripping Beast are slightly bigger at Middle Age/Late Antiquity I might give them a chance.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Seems someone got their hands on the new Italy "compilation".
http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/2014/02/review-italy-battles-fw229.html

Not sure if this is BF's big Italy revamp, or if we'll see an updated Dog's & Devils/Cassino. The reviewer mentions historical lists are included, but I guess it's not a full on points briefing. Actually something I'm interested in seeing more of, to be honest, so I'll probably pick up a copy.

Otherwise, updated Infantry Aces and random terrain generators for Italy. I just love random terrain generators :suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
They're definitely coming out with two new books, which will be called "Road to Rome" and "Fortress Italy". I believe that rather than simply updating Dogs and Devils and Cassino, they're reorganizing them so that Road to Rome will focus on the Allied advance and Fortress Italy will cover the German defense, much like Overlord/Atlantik Wall, Market Garden/Bridge by Bridge, and Red Bear/Grey Wolf. Wonder if they'll do the same for Nuts/Devil's Charge so that they'll have fancy two-book sets for all of the major late-war campaigns: D-Day, Market Garden, Italy, the Bulge, Bagration, and maybe far off in the future one for the Battle of Berlin.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 17, 2014

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to do a FoW soviet force in winter gear but Battlefront seems to only sell the basic strelkovy in greatcoats, no mortars or artillery or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
First game of Flames of War ever trip report:

The Japanese are off to a strong start, having defeated the filthy Russian hordes. My tanks were largely just mobile machine guns that did dick to his land battleships, but my Nikuhaku squads killed four tanks on the assault only losing one to improvised tank assault, and after basically daisy chaining through his artillery in an assault I ended up being able to plant on top of an objective without him being able to do anything about it. I enjoy Nikuhaku more than I originally anticipated, and may drop my anti-tank gun entirely and just bring a truckload of the Niku's in the future.

Flamethrowers are terrifying, but conscripts are waaaaaaaay less terrifying, so that was nice to learn, and I really wish I had a bunch more static guns so I could be a fortified company. I want the middle and late war books to come out so I can slap booby traps and crazy tunnel systems all over the battlefield.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

vintagepurple posted:

I want to do a FoW soviet force in winter gear but Battlefront seems to only sell the basic strelkovy in greatcoats, no mortars or artillery or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

I think Peter Pig is your best bet.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In a fit of madness I've decided to made an Udarny Strelkovy list from the new Red Bear. My problem at the moment is I'm finding it hard to pick a decent support for the two big companies. I've got scouts, a Tank Destruction Company and a battery of Katyushas planned but I don't know if I should get some IS-2s/ISUs, a bunch of T-34/76s, or just go full tankless and get an Engineer-Sapper Company for killing armour in the most :ussr: way possible (assaulting it).

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Just got my shipment of Perry Italians in sunhats for some Bolt Action/Chain of Command. Very nice models, always happy with Perry sculpts, I guess it shouldn't surprise me any more.

Any suggestions for making a north Africa table that isn't, well, boring? Sand and dunes, some scrub-grass is easy, but needs something to make it interesting. I made a Russian village with a blown up railroad passing through it, with crop fields and such for our eastern front games, so want to do something other than just another village.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Mr.Booger posted:

Just got my shipment of Perry Italians in sunhats for some Bolt Action/Chain of Command. Very nice models, always happy with Perry sculpts, I guess it shouldn't surprise me any more.

Any suggestions for making a north Africa table that isn't, well, boring? Sand and dunes, some scrub-grass is easy, but needs something to make it interesting. I made a Russian village with a blown up railroad passing through it, with crop fields and such for our eastern front games, so want to do something other than just another village.

An airfield or similar military installment? Then it makes sense to fight over it, and you can make everything from normal village house to bunkers, barracks, landing strips and fuel depots, to mix things up. But I have no idea how north african military bases looked.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

lilljonas posted:

An airfield or similar military installment? Then it makes sense to fight over it, and you can make everything from normal village house to bunkers, barracks, landing strips and fuel depots, to mix things up. But I have no idea how north african military bases looked.

Basically fenced in depots with earthen defenses. Though the Italians and British, especially in the big named battles, used a lot of old ancient forts (as in Greco-Roman, Islamic Expansion, Crusades, etc.) which were in various stages of disrepair.

I finally broke down and bought a box of BF M4A3s. They are pretty, but I've been real hesitant about running an armored company out of Blood, Guts and Glory, mostly because of it's saturation, and I really don't want to run Jumbos. I want an effective armored list, but I don't want to be forced into what everyone else is doing, if that makes sense. I'll probably start ramping up my collection once the plastic Shermans come out.

Otherwise, I'm debating starting a 21st Panzer Division in Normandy list. Sounds like a fun list, and a good excuse to try to "find" the Golden Panzer. Anyone ever run this list out of the Earth & Steel/Atlantik Wall book?

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 21, 2014

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, I'm debating starting a 21st Panzer Division in Normandy list. Sounds like a fun list, and a good excuse to try to "find" the Golden Panzer. Anyone ever run this list out of the Earth & Steel/Atlantik Wall book?

Er, yeah sort of. Never really used much of the special vehicles though. Come to think of it, I might as well just run a normal Panzergrenadier company. I tried the Reihenwerfers and they were awful.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just played a 1750 Flames of War game today, US Airborne vs. 21. Panzerdivision. The Airborne company is a loaner for my friend, so he can try the rules before comitting to a company. I didn't do a full battle report, but just wanted to share some pictures of all my brand new FoW table.

The table.

The main road cutting through the mid point of the table.

Deployment. Nazis on the left, US on the right.

A P-40 Warhawk stands in for a P-47 Thunderbolt, as it stalks the German Panzers.

The Paratroopers move into the village...

...while the Grenadiers and Panzers wait for them on the other side.

The US troops are African themed Mid War guys, so the list is pretty horrific for Late War, there is simply not enough anti-tank capability. It doesn't have a single AT-gun and no decent artillery. Air support is alright, but it's so inconsistent you can't count on it.

In the end I won (nazis) because I could just back away from his many many bazookas. I rolled an extremely lucky shot on his 4 Sherman tanks with 3 6's out of 3 dice, so he lost almost all his punch in a single round. After that I could just pick off the remaining one, weaken his single platoon camping on one of the objectives, charge in and wipe him out.

It was my opponent's second game of FoW, so it was still very much a learning game. I'm very rusty too so we're talking things through a lot. I explain what I do and why I do it, give him advice how to counter my moves and stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So Battlefront just updated their page with design notes on Fortress Italy and Road to Rome, both of which look like they've have a bunch of new options in them as well as updates to armies from the old books and web briefings. Of particular note is that they cover the timeline up to May of '45, which makes it the latest-war book out there IIRC.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Picking up a Tiger 2 platoon and a Panther G platoon for Flames of War. Like the models, and does not want to invest too much time/money to paint all the infantry - so going with a tank heavy/only force.

I understand River of Heroes has a list for King Tiger - are there others? 1 that has both that and Panthers, perhaps?

Some browsing about tells me I am probably going to lose badly against my friends without infantry, well, 1 friend specifically, the other one is planning to go for a soviet tank force too. Should I get some Hummels to mix things up?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Weissritter posted:

Picking up a Tiger 2 platoon and a Panther G platoon for Flames of War. Like the models, and does not want to invest too much time/money to paint all the infantry - so going with a tank heavy/only force.

I understand River of Heroes has a list for King Tiger - are there others? 1 that has both that and Panthers, perhaps?

Some browsing about tells me I am probably going to lose badly against my friends without infantry, well, 1 friend specifically, the other one is planning to go for a soviet tank force too. Should I get some Hummels to mix things up?

Most of the Late-War German books allow for KT's, including Grey Wolf (The go-to book for Late-War German lists, and includes and updates the German lists from River of Heroes), Devil's Charge, and Desperate Measures. In pretty much all those books you can take either a Panther company with KT's as Divisional Support and vice-versa, though of those only Devil's Charge allows you to take Panthers and KT's in your combat platoons, IIRC.

As to playing without infantry, you can do it, especially if you're playing casually, but you'll want some good anti-infantry options so that you can defend against or root out enemy infantry. Artillery is good for pinning them down, and self-propelled artillery like the Hummel or the Grille have Breakthrough guns that can negate enemy saves, which is always nice. Flamethrower vehicles can also be fairly effective, though you only get one shot with them. Really, the best thing to do is look at each book to try and figure out what list you want to run, and then tailor your support option purchases to those lists.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd get a platoon of infantry just to tag along and assault bazookas/shreks; German platoons are small enough that a single one won't be too onerous to paint. Also if you're looking at using more than one KT I'd recommend at the Panzer Ausbildungs list from Desperate Measures; you lose a bunch of special rules and get Confident Trained, but it means you can afford more than one big cat without unbalancing your force like woah.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'd also add, if you want something that's good Anti-Infantry, but can serve dual roles, maybe look into some SP AA guns like the Ostwind, etc. Keep them away from other tanks, though, as they're weakly armored, but keep them close enough you can use them as mobile MG wagons and to keep air support off your back. Especially if you're playing against Americans who can take Air Superiority.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If I was going to go with a British army, what mid and late war books would I be best off looking at?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

NTRabbit posted:

If I was going to go with a British army, what mid and late war books would I be best off looking at?

Mid-War, there is only one book for Brits and that's North Africa.

Late-War, there are only two books with Brits, the D-Day book and the Market Garden Book. Of the two, the latter has the newer, more powerful weapons. So, it really comes down to what you want to run.

e: Oh, yeah, forgot about the Brits in Italy. They'll be in the new Road to Rome book as well, coming out here in the next month or so.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

YF19pilot posted:

e: Oh, yeah, forgot about the Brits in Italy. They'll be in the new Road to Rome book as well, coming out here in the next month or so.

Everyone forgets about Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk

For an actual question, will there be a 2nd Polish Corps list in Road to Rome? How do they stack up against other Late War lists?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Wargames Illustrated for March has a sweet pictorial on some guys 6mm 1:1 Waterloo.

(And next month is about the Romans fighting Macedonian Phalanxes, so I may have to bring that in to work.)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Beardless posted:

Everyone forgets about Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk

For an actual question, will there be a 2nd Polish Corps list in Road to Rome? How do they stack up against other Late War lists?

From the notes on the website, yes the Polish will be in Road to Rome. Also, there was this bit at the end of both articles:

Battlefront posted:

Also keep an eye on the website for more Italy content, including updates to the Brazilians, Jewish Brigade, and Italian CIL, as well as new briefings for the US 10th Mountain Division and Indian Reconnaissance Squadron.

It is funny that the RSI will be in the Fortress Italy book, but the CIL will have to wait for a .pdf update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks for the responses above!

Looking at the army lists online (the panzer list from Desperate Measures), it seems the point drop for german tanks going from CV to CT is quite drastic - though, is the drop in veterancy worth the additional tanks?