Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Speaking of Vicky 2, how do I Austria? :saddowns: I'm good at internal management, but terrible at war and diplomacy, so I've always played relatively out-of-the-way countries, and this is one hell of a challenge. Austria is so beset on all sides it's crazy. And I have no idea how to hold off Prussia when they come for me, they have so much more and better troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Guildencrantz posted:

Speaking of Vicky 2, how do I Austria? :saddowns: I'm good at internal management, but terrible at war and diplomacy, so I've always played relatively out-of-the-way countries, and this is one hell of a challenge. Austria is so beset on all sides it's crazy. And I have no idea how to hold off Prussia when they come for me, they have so much more and better troops.

Austria is imo the easiest country to play. :) Start the game by getting an alliance with Poland/Lithuania. Once you've got that offer royal marriages to Hungary/Bohemia, then claim their thrones one after another. (Will cause stability drop but it is easily upgraded again) Once you've got those 2.. Congratulations, you will have no more problems for the rest of the game. Keep watching for big countries which have thrones for the grasping through royal marriages, as this is the way Austria is excellent in. You can either wait and hope to get a personal union through waiting, or get one through force like you did in the beginning with Bohemia and Hungary. It is extremely easy to get land once you've got a hang of it, good luck. :banjo:

edit: Oh wow I am blind, I thought you were talking about EU4. :3: Ignore what I said, have never played Vicky.

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 14, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dutchfool posted:

edit: Oh wow I am blind, I thought you were talking about EU4. :3: Ignore what I said, have never played Vicky.
In your defense, giving an Austria player EU4 advice for his Victoria 2 game seems pretty country appropriate.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Guildencrantz posted:

I've never really had a problem with Austria. Just day 1 wardec Prussia before they can get ahead of you in military tech and absolutely crush them until nothing is left but the pulp on your shoes. With all of Germany in your sphere and Prussia completely destroyed (You did gently caress them up so hard they would never recover, right?) you can go from there. France usually wont try and gently caress with you now, and Russia is usually pretty amicable. If not, Russia's easy to beat with a tech advantage, and you can just bait France into the alps and watch them kill themselves. And always encircle.

e. and watch rebels. Usually if you're winning and playing well they wont be a real big problem, just keep in mind one misstep and you could find yourself at the receiving end of a rebel death spiral.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 14, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I've never really had a problem with Austria. Just day 1 wardec Prussia before they can get ahead of you in military tech and absolutely crush them until nothing is left but the pulp on your shoes. With all of Germany in your sphere and Prussia completely destroyed (You did gently caress them up so hard they would never recover, right?) you can go from there. France usually wont try and gently caress with you now, and Russia is usually pretty amicable. If not, Russia's easy to beat with a tech advantage, and you can just bait France into the alps and watch them kill themselves. And always encircle.

Maybe you can even do the reverse thing a Prussia player can do: keep them occupied so long they drop out of GP status and then just sphere them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Become best friends with either Russia or France and use them to beat up Prussia for you. If you need more land, conquer some from the Ottomans because they're usually in decline the entire game and can't manage to defend themselves.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

And remember- more land in Europe is always good (doubly if it's taken from rivals). If they don't like it, they can emigrate!

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How do you change government to communist, fascist etc in Vicky2?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

maev posted:

If it's elected you can try pushing your states towards that party. If it's not you have to wait for rebels to capture and hold your capital for a year. You can also type "break" into the console and your country will break to whatever rebellion is ongoing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

maev posted:

Communist and Fascist rebels that break your country will turn it into the corresponding dictatorship. I think there's also events if they get in power democratically where they turn the country into a dictatorship.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

Communist and Fascist rebels that break your country will turn it into the corresponding dictatorship. I think there's also events if they get in power democratically where they turn the country into a dictatorship.

Just fascist for the events, but yeah. It fires if your upper house is over 30% fascist, not if your ruling party is fascist.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Welp, this helped, thanks. You can't day 1 wardec anymore since you have to justify war, but October 1836 and French help were enough. It took a few tries since Jesus gently caress the Prussian army is huge, but I eventually figured out that Silesia is great for encirclements. Now I just have to to occupy Prussia completely!

Man, I play much too conservatively by instinct, I was always letting other countries have the initiative. No more!

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Speaking of Victoria II, I love that game but have a hard time getting into it again because rebels are just so stupid. I'd love it if there was like 4-5 HUGE rebellions every game, but having an easy to beat revolt every year where parts of your army joins so you have to rebuild it simply isn't fun.

I've been digging around in the defines.lua and tried to change around some values. The only thing that really has any effect is to drastically increase the amount of militancy lost when defeated as a rebel, but even then I still end up with a country that's split into two parts: One that's insanely mad at my regime with 10 militancy and one part that's extremely content with 0. Anyone got any tips on how this could be modded? The best way to do it I feel would be to have a maximum militancy on a POP based on the amount of militancy it's gaining, but I don't think that would be modable.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm strictly speaking about how the victors experienced huge social upheaval after the Great War. France was very close to being taken over by fascists and Britain was just a mess. The United States sent in tanks to scare off starving veterans and threatened to bomb coal miner towns. What we saw in Germany was that same upheaval in the complete absence of a power structure, which lead to the formation of dozens of localized movements and militias. I'm just saying that it made sense that my boys marched home from a hugely expansionist war -- a war where I seized every inch of India from Britain -- to face massive unrest and rebellion.

maev posted:

Vicky 2 is the game where you let the rebels win.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So I basically have to let my country be overrun by rebels without fighting?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
You're free to lie down without a fight. I like to fight back, though, because if my people cannot beat my fascist stormtroopers then do they really deserve democracy? :colbert:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Patter Song posted:

Just fascist for the events, but yeah. It fires if your upper house is over 30% fascist, not if your ruling party is fascist.

I'm pretty sure I've seen events for communists and reactionaries as well, but that might be a NNM thing.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

And remember- more land in Europe is always good (doubly if it's taken from rivals). If they don't like it, they can emigrate!

Ryuku is clearly the most valuable tract of land in the world

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

axeil posted:

-The North seceded from the South in the Civil War and formed something called the Free States of America. Montana, the Dakotas and Idaho join the Confederates for some unknown reason :confused:

The CSA will sometimes get cores on those areas via event I think, before the Civil War starts. If you want to fix ugly borders you can use the console command "showprovinceid" and then "changeowner [country tag] [province id]"

Also,

:holymoley:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wanted to play a game as the CSA, but I'm finding myself unable to survive for long in the aftermath of the civil war. I started out in 1836 and did everything I could to stack the deck in my favor: all new states were admitted as slave states, so by the time the war kicked off I received the entirety of present-day America sans Missouri and all the default Northern states; I disbanded any Yankee regiments and replaced them with Dixie regiments; and I upgraded all of the infrastructure in the South while leaving the North untouched.

I have no trouble beating the North after the nation splits, but it's impossible to press the advantage since I'm automatically fighting for the status quo and can't add war goals. The North sues for peace in less than a year, which is fine, but then when they declare war on me again five years later they have at least double the manpower I do and can field much larger armies. While I'm able to trick them into attacking small regiments in mountain regions and then piling in with the remainder of my army to take advantage of the defensive terrain bonuses, I simply can't keep up with their reinforcements and I have to settle for a white peace at best. This seems to be the end result even after setting my national focuses on soldiers.

What can I do that I'm not already doing? I tried going for the King Cotton event, but no one seemed particularly interested in helping me out.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Spakstik posted:

I wanted to play a game as the CSA, but I'm finding myself unable to survive for long in the aftermath of the civil war. I started out in 1836 and did everything I could to stack the deck in my favor: all new states were admitted as slave states, so by the time the war kicked off I received the entirety of present-day America sans Missouri and all the default Northern states; I disbanded any Yankee regiments and replaced them with Dixie regiments; and I upgraded all of the infrastructure in the South while leaving the North untouched.

I have no trouble beating the North after the nation splits, but it's impossible to press the advantage since I'm automatically fighting for the status quo and can't add war goals. The North sues for peace in less than a year, which is fine, but then when they declare war on me again five years later they have at least double the manpower I do and can field much larger armies. While I'm able to trick them into attacking small regiments in mountain regions and then piling in with the remainder of my army to take advantage of the defensive terrain bonuses, I simply can't keep up with their reinforcements and I have to settle for a white peace at best. This seems to be the end result even after setting my national focuses on soldiers.

What can I do that I'm not already doing? I tried going for the King Cotton event, but no one seemed particularly interested in helping me out.

Don't sue for peace immediately in the Civil war, crush them utterly. Kill every regiment they have, occupy every province. Destroy their industry, let the unemployment run rampart so that every year another rebel rises. And befriend Great Britain/Canada.

Before the Civil War you can build Yankee irregulars and cheap clipper transports, then send them to their deaths in the middle of the Atlantic. That way USA would not have soldier POPs to build army regiments.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Disco Infiva posted:

Don't sue for peace immediately in the Civil war, crush them utterly. Kill every regiment they have, occupy every province. Destroy their industry, let the unemployment run rampart so that every year another rebel rises. And befriend Great Britain/Canada.

Before the Civil War you can build Yankee irregulars and cheap clipper transports, then send them to their deaths in the middle of the Atlantic. That way USA would not have soldier POPs to build army regiments.

The one time I've seen the AI CSA win the Civil War without my aid (if I'm playing Mexico I'll sphere CSA and force USA to white peace, then return CSA's cores in the next war) was a time that the Civil War struck right when the USA was invading Brazil over something or another and USA's professional army was attriting to death in the Amazon while Lee walked into Washington D.C.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Disco Infiva posted:

I wouldn't do the second part as it's rather gamey, but the first part is key: Just because you can't add wargoals and they're suing for peace doesn't mean you have to end the war, If you can defeat their armies, occupy the entire country until their prestige tanks and the industry collapses and the country just falls into total chaos. You might not be able to add any territory, but all that they retain can be rendered useless. It'd be like RE Lee adopting the tactics of Sherman except it's a March to the Great Lakes and then to everywhere else.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Play NNM, one of its many useful events has the USA lose its cores on the CSA if it survives the war.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Patter Song posted:

The one time I've seen the AI CSA win the Civil War without my aid (if I'm playing Mexico I'll sphere CSA and force USA to white peace, then return CSA's cores in the next war) was a time that the Civil War struck right when the USA was invading Brazil over something or another and USA's professional army was attriting to death in the Amazon while Lee walked into Washington D.C.

Interesting. Do you usually play with any mods on? I typically play vanilla, but I've seen the AI CSA win unaided a few times. It's not often, sure, but it's something that does happen sometimes. It's just that the CSA typically doesn't survive too long afterwards.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Going to give this a shot, thanks guys!

E: The above advice worked like a charm. I'm in the late 1910s and the CSA is ranked third among the Great Powers, close behind the United Kingdom (but unfortunately a good distance away from Germany, which has turned into this ridiculous juggernaut). After letting some rebels have the run of the country, I joined the Soviets--my new best friends in international communism--in their war against the UK and Poland-Lithuania (though not Poland which, strangely enough, also existed at the same time). I ended up teaching Britain a very hard lesson about the merits of military modernization.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 16, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Meanwhile on the Hearts of Iron IV forums, one poster has a brilliant idea: What if, at your whim, you could choose to zoom in to a tactical map with even more provinces?

quote:

Would it be possible to have the normal map, but it has an icon near a historic battle site (Kursk, Stalingrad etc etc). I want to play the historic battle. I click on the icon, and the many-more-province-battlescenario map pops-up. I can then continue to use this map ... from the normal map. And when I'm done with the battle, it can all revert back to the normal map.

:suicide:

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Meanwhile on the Hearts of Iron IV forums, one poster has a brilliant idea: What if, at your whim, you could choose to zoom in to a tactical map with even more provinces?

:suicide:

I actually kinda liked the 2 province islands in DH, although that is just insane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paradox, please create a highly detailed and completely unique battle map for every single province in the game, thanks. I won't demand too much in the way of royalties for this great idea, so feel free to use it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Paradox, please let me zoom into any location on the world and play an RTS there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paradox, please either buy out or merge with Wargaming.net and integrate the "World of" series with Hearts of Iron. Also let me relax in-game by playing historical sporting events with Madden et. al.

EDIT: I just realized the OP of that thread is one of the biggest Darkest Hour modders. poo poo is going to go down in that community once HoI IV comes out.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 16, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Paradox, please put in an option to have Jazz Boatman do live narration on whatever is happening in game. Its only fair.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
In Victoria 2, how do I take a colony from a dominion? I'm playing PoD as USA (thanks again Sybot for telling me that PoD makes immigration NF work, Yankees everywhere are loving hilarious) and I'm trying to take New Caledonia from Canada which is a British dominio. I can't justify war directly against them because they're a "puppet or substate" and if I justify place in the sun against Britain, New Caledonia does not show up in the list of possible war goals.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Nozzle posted:

Paradox, please put in an option to have Jazz Boatman do live narration on whatever is happening in game. Its only fair.

Would pay real money for that DLC.

"Your panzers cruise smoothly into the Ukraine, cool as can be. They ain't looking for trouble, but it turns out... trouble's looking for them."

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is it possible to have empty provinces in HoI3? I think one thing that might actually get me into it is transplanting other Paradox maps onto it. CK2 for Europe, EU4 when that runs out, and Vicky 2 to fill in the gaps and then fudge the rest. I have no idea what the ideologies would become. Christendom - Dar Al Islam - Dharmic, maybe? Ideally there would be a separation of Indian ideology, if not Hindu and Buddhist from Confucian outright, but lumping Europe in with the Muslim world in order to do that wouldn't make sense either. Or maybe I'm looking at that wrong, since alliances would then form in regional blocs and not a patchwork of warring principalities. I dunno, it's not something I'm going to actively work on so I can mull it over.

*e* It'd make more sense to revolve around the key players. So one for the HRE, one for the Caliphate, one for the Ming or whoever has control of Beijing?

Kavak posted:

Paradox, please either buy out or merge with Wargaming.net and integrate the "World of" series with Hearts of Iron. Also let me relax in-game by playing historical sporting events with Madden et. al.

EDIT: I just realized the OP of that thread is one of the biggest Darkest Hour modders. poo poo is going to go down in that community once HoI IV comes out.
Hearts of World of Iron

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 16, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GrossMurpel posted:

In Victoria 2, how do I take a colony from a dominion? I'm playing PoD as USA (thanks again Sybot for telling me that PoD makes immigration NF work, Yankees everywhere are loving hilarious) and I'm trying to take New Caledonia from Canada which is a British dominio. I can't justify war directly against them because they're a "puppet or substate" and if I justify place in the sun against Britain, New Caledonia does not show up in the list of possible war goals.

It's probably their capital state, so you won't be able to take it until they control no states adjacent to it.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

Fintilgin posted:

"Your panzers cruise smoothly into the Ukraine, cool as can be. They ain't looking for trouble, but it turns out... trouble's looking for them."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

It's probably their capital state, so you won't be able to take it until they control no states adjacent to it.

Naw it isn't. I actually cannot demand any dominion colonies with a place in the sun CB.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fintilgin posted:

This is perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
So. First ever game of Vicky 2 where I didn't descend into a debt spiral in the first two years as Belgium. After an easy war, I now own what was formerly Moroccan Agadir ... but I'm struggling to get anyone to become a bureaucrat in the province even with a National Focus attached. I assume that because they're not a primary or accepted culture it'll take longer, but is there any way I can speed the process along, and/or speed up coring Agadir (or getting the Moroccan cores on Agadir cancelled?) E: It's 1855 if that matters.

• Locked thread