Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

gently caress da Mods posted:

Benny, I know this will take you 3 weeks to respond to, what with your busy life and all, but what happened with your other story? Johnny Magnum, or whatever it was called.
You mean the one that was posted here without my permission? I've started writing more about it. I've had this idea since 2009 and even entered it in a creative writing class. I got good reviews from my classmates. Maybe I'll post it here. Oh and I'm gonna enter in the Thunderdome again. This week's prompt is going to be easier for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Have you looked into something like that? Could help you find a job you can actually do, or at least help you learn to work around your mental disabilities.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh and I'm gonna enter in the Thunderdome again. This week's prompt is going to be easier for me.

Good job Benny! I look forward to learning more about your life.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

I rushed it so I could meet the deadline and now I regret posting the drat thing in the first place.

Yea, it's too bad you have been so busy with your unemployment and "writing an hour everyday for a year" that you couldn't put out 600 words correctly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ms. Happiness posted:

Good job Benny! I look forward to learning more about your life.

God Over Djinn posted:

Thunderdome LXXX: "Why don't you ask your huge cock?"

Nota bene: If your story contains one whiff of whiny woe-is-me bullshit, I will give you something to be sad about. You have been warned.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, did you read the critiques of your writing in this thread? Are you going to take them into consideration when writing your next story?

We get that being immune to criticism is kinda your thing, but maybe take some advice about this.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Can't you have your mom or your brother act as an editor? Everybody needs gut-checks, especially a retard-cock gobbler like yourself

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I want to thank the thread because, like a lot of you, it caused me to read the Thunderdome and decide to enter this week. I'm pretty sure what I've written has too much set up, and I've noticed that I stay away from dialogue because that's a weakness of mine, but hell it's the first time I've actually finished a story in 5 years.

Thank you, Benny! I will dedicate the harsh but helpful criticism I receive to you.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Honestly, Benny's not the worst writer I've ever seen (sophomore creative writing class) -- I think a lot of folks are exaggerating for comedic effect.

The thing is that I feel like he's got enough experience that what he wrote should have been much better than it was. I'm not sure what I can really say other than 'read a lot, write a lot (for that matter, apply for jobs a lot -- do the first two things only when you're out of ways to do the third one),' and that he should try to be receptive to criticism even when half of it's just ribbing.

I know what it's like to write something because I'm obligated and have it turn out lovely -- a week ago I spent about seven-eight hours banging out a pretty awful first draft for something I fortunately don't have to work on again, and a lot of the time when I hack out something for a soundtrack it's pretty obviously just not good -- so I'm trying to be cordial about this even though I've made fun of Benny a couple times in-thread.

Hopefully he's not going to take the pity and run with it though (what am I saying?), because it's really the criticism he should be doing that with. Good luck next Thunderdome, Benny!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Benny the Snake posted:

You mean the one that was posted here without my permission? I've started writing more about it. I've had this idea since 2009 and even entered it in a creative writing class. I got good reviews from my classmates. Maybe I'll post it here. Oh and I'm gonna enter in the Thunderdome again. This week's prompt is going to be easier for me.

Entries close soon, so get on with it. If you're having trouble then ask for a flash rule - they can, weirdly, make it easier to write by constraining the possibilities.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Benny, what do you do all day?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Can't you have your mom or your brother act as an editor? Everybody needs gut-checks, especially a retard-cock gobbler like yourself

The placement of the hyphen is what makes this joke extra funny. Make a note, Benny.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

nerve posted:

If we could get an answer to this I would be so happy.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Aqua Bear posted:

Do you really think the answer is anything other than "consume X media through X device?"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

E: eh let's focus on benny

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 14, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

natetimm posted:

Do you really think the answer is anything other than "consume X media through X device?"

Not really. You're probably right.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

nerve posted:

Tries to decide what kind of tweed jacket he'll wear when he's a professor, or a best-selling author.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

nerve posted:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Allright, I'm back from the job fair. There were five job recruiters present and a list of the jobs available. I could only apply to three, given how most of the positions were engineering and mechanical jobs and because of transportation constraints. Unfortunately, one of the recruiters left early for the day so I only applied to two. One of the positions is working as a customer service rep at a warehouse right down the street. Also the job recruiter worked in the same political campaign I volunteered for. So I know to go to this guy for jobs at the very least.

EDIT: I did read the criticism of my short story. Particularly Sitting Here's.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 14, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

But did you learn anything from them? And will you apply what you learned?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just a note, Benny, if you want to enter Thunderdome, you need to do it soon as I think the deadline is coming to a close.

Be aware that most people who judge or read your story are going to take your piece at its own merits - most readers are not interested in knowing the writer's backstory or excuses. To claim you have rushed something and put up a poor effort doesn't do anything to salvage it, but rather makes you appear to grasp for flimsy alibis to excuse your writing. Since I notice you have a movie review website, you should be aware of the Death of the Author concept. Write a good story, let it stand alone, and don't tell us whether other people gave it good reviews or anything. Let the reader be the judge.

Also, please don't write a pity party story this week okay.

Good luck on the job-hunting!

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day
I believe Benny is completely immune to criticism of any type, for those speculating on the subject. He messaged me today to tell me that he had seen my story here and that he thought it was better than his. He then declared it was okay because he has a sense of humor about himself. I would like to reiterate here that Benny is a really nice guy and I am glad we are still AIM BFF's but I can't tell if this is a coping mechanism or some kind of amazing superpower that I wish I had.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Either way, he could probably make a fortune on the talk show circuit promoting his self-help book about having healthy self esteem and believing in yourself.

the irony being that he'd probably never get around to writing the book because he's so apparently comfortable with where he is in life

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Robot_Rumpus posted:

but it was no where near the worst.

Well hopefully those people have the rest of their ducks in a row. Like having a day job.

Aqua Bear posted:

Yeah, the best thing he ever wrote was the attempt at an hour by hour account of his time, and there would be the huge voids that he would never fess up to.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Benny the Snake posted:

So I decide to take a break for two days and my thread blows up under me.

I knew that "The Oracle" was a piece of poo poo. Posting it was the worst thing I could've done. I rushed it so I could meet the deadline and now I regret posting the drat thing in the first place. I'm just glad I got a bad story out of me.

gently caress you Benny. Every thing you post has had the "well, I didn't really try so..." taint about it. Your story ending brought to mind the image of a nerd who upset his entire computer desk upon hearing the 'ding' that declares to the world that his hot pocket is finished microwaving.

You critiqued a movie without investigating any of the directors past works. You can't be bothered to make up a good lie for the sake of your income, let alone proofread something you entered for the sake of your 'passion'. I have the suspicion that you don't even like to read.

I always want to see people who post on e/n get better, but your bullshit makes me want to punch a kitten.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I got it, I'm like a 100 pages late.

Pretty much it's their house man. Grow up and go somewhere else.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Attention family, I have written a story. It is about a guy who kills his whole family. Even though I harbor a murderous resentment towards all of you, I'd like your input.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a job at a different grocery store and learn to drive. When you apply at grocery stores don't mention your degree or job at target.

Right now you have nothing but time on your hands, you can use this time to learn how to drive so you can apply for more jobs.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Arian_Samurai posted:

Get a job at a different grocery store and learn to drive. When you apply at grocery stores don't mention your degree or job at target.

Right now you have nothing but time on your hands, you can use this time to learn how to drive so you can apply for more jobs.

He's right! Driving is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. And it's something you'll never forget how to do, just like riding a bike or guiding a shopping car....

Oh god Benny, please never get a license.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Tasty_Crayon posted:

gently caress you Benny. Every thing you post has had the "well, I didn't really try so..." taint about it. Your story ending brought to mind the image of a nerd who upset his entire computer desk upon hearing the 'ding' that declares to the world that his hot pocket is finished microwaving.

You critiqued a movie without investigating any of the directors past works. You can't be bothered to make up a good lie for the sake of your income, let alone proofread something you entered for the sake of your 'passion'. I have the suspicion that you don't even like to read.

I always want to see people who post on e/n get better, but your bullshit makes me want to punch a kitten.

This is why I can't stand people like Benny. It's as though 75% is the most he will ever do, at his best effort. On average he's a 60-65%. It's as though he'll always reach the government mandated "You need X points to pass" minimum and nothing more.

He just does things until he loses interest, then calls it quits. There's no real painstaking effort in anything. I don't even think he has a concept of what "actually trying" is. I don't think he has ever or will ever risk anything to gamble on himself, in order to obtain what he desires.

He didn't proof his story or have someone else proof it. He doesn't take constructive criticism. He likes the creative writing process but doesn't wanna put in the actual work of fine tuning his work to make it complete. If writing was really his passion, he'd be doing everything he can to make his lame story the best possible lame-rear end internet story he possibly can.

His life revolves around the idea of looking busy when the boss is watching.

Seriously, what possible job would want someone like Benny?

cname fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cname posted:

His life revolves around the idea of looking busy when the boss is watching.

Seriously, what possible job would want someone like Benny?
I think this might just be most people actually.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah but when they get home they have hobbies and poo poo they actively try to improve. Even if it's teabagging angry nerds in COD.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

cname posted:

This is why I can't stand people like Benny. It's as though 75% is the most he will ever do, at his best effort. On average he's a 60-65%. It's as though he'll always reach the government mandated "You need X points to pass" minimum and nothing more.

Case in point: Benny knows he wants to meet three people at a career fair, but instead of showing up early he comes at the end of the day when 1/3 of the recruiters has already left.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Jeffrey posted:

They key part of acting busy is not being noticed and, most importantly, not loving up. I'm pretty sure Benny would find a way to cause a mail cart accident even if he worked in a cube.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Yeah but when they get home they have hobbies and poo poo they actively try to improve. Even if it's teabagging angry nerds in COD.

Oh sure, I think there's something more going on with Benny. His behavior is far enough off from expectation that I have a hard time putting myself in his shoes, he just goes above and beyond in his apathy. I hope he finds some way to get money for more therapy because I think he desperately needs it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jeffrey posted:

Oh sure, I think there's something more going on with Benny. His behavior is far enough off from expectation that I have a hard time putting myself in his shoes, he just goes above and beyond in his apathy. I hope he finds some way to get money for more therapy because I think he desperately needs it.

If you think he's been saving for therapy and not blowing any money he gets on comic books and other crap, you're out of your loving mind.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Let's start a kickstarter for therapy for Benny. I'll donate my kids Christmas gifts to start us off.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

in_cahoots posted:

Case in point: Benny knows he wants to meet three people at a career fair, but instead of showing up early he comes at the end of the day when 1/3 of the recruiters has already left.
No I showed up fifteen minutes early dressed professionally and with my portfolio ready. There was a huge line of people so it took two hours for me to see the job recruiters.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Challenge:

For the next week chronicle everything you do from the time you are awake to the time you sleep.
Write down everything you are doing on the hour.

Example:

10am Wake up
11am Look for job listings
noon Apply to jobs
1pm Apply to jobs
2pm Lunch

Something like that.

If you do this people may be able to better help you organize your time. YOU SHOULD DO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

you have about 8 hours to sign up for Thunderdome if you're going to do it again.

If you want to be a writer, you will. Don't make excuses about time and rushing for deadlines. You're unemployed. If this is really your passion, you will MAKE time for it. Almost all of us have full time jobs or are students, or both, and make time to polish up our stories for TD, because we like writing and want to get better.

It really sucks getting negative feedback, no matter how much you try to pretend that you "knew it sucked." You WILL get better if you keep entering.

• Locked thread