Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I have a 4th generation iPod which doesn't support iOS 7. I bought Clear and, of course, the later versions require iOS 7. Is there any way for me to download an iOS 6 compatible version without someone else sending me an .ipa or emailing the devs or something? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

echopenis is a retard, don't listen to him.

I'm shocked by you're arrogance and lack of ability to spell my username correctly

Cranbe posted:

Is there a reason you're being such a douche bag?

I wasn't being sarcastic when I told him I was happy for him. The next statement was a self deprecating joke about how the only thing on my social calendar is buying 'dew and that I don't need reminding to do so because it's the kind of thing I would have done regardless

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

echinopsis posted:

I'm shocked by you're arrogance and lack of ability to spell my username correctly

Probably shouldn't be calling people out on spelling if you yourself can't use proper grammar.

Here's a question. Has anyone seen or know a legitimate way to get a copy of an old app? There used to be Heroes II for IOS. I can still find pages and reviews for it, but it seems to have suddenly and quietly stopped existing. This has made me quite sad.

I've seen a few ways to re-pack old dos games to run on iOS but it seems very involved. Thoughts?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If the app is no longer available on the App Store and you did not purchase it while it was available (so that it might still be in your Purchased list), then there is no way to get it short of looking for a pirated version.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I bought "Reporter" because I like the idea of tracking my boring life but it is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. I bought it due to a glowing Fast Company review, presumably those guys don't get a lot of apps.

It's not terrible or anything just way too limited to justify the $4 price tag. Don't make the same mistake I did! Save your money.
Doesn't seem like the same thing but Rove is vaguely in the same category of "tracking my boring life" for free. It just does location tracking and keeps track of pictures by location, but if you move around and take enough pictures a day it essentially automatically makes up a daily diary.

Course since it relies on location it can eat battery, I'm on an iPhone 5 and get into the red by the end of the day with it vs rarely running it down that much without it before. On a 5S it uses the M7 so hopefully less of an impact on there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does the Awful App no long support the 4th Gen iPod touch?z

Edit: after tinkering with it, it's wants to give me the latest compatible version for my device, it just can't download it for whatever reason.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 14, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

japtor posted:

Doesn't seem like the same thing but Rove is vaguely in the same category of "tracking my boring life" for free. It just does location tracking and keeps track of pictures by location, but if you move around and take enough pictures a day it essentially automatically makes up a daily diary.

HeyDay also does this and it's also free.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I have a 4th generation iPod which doesn't support iOS 7. I bought Clear and, of course, the later versions require iOS 7. Is there any way for me to download an iOS 6 compatible version without someone else sending me an .ipa or emailing the devs or something? :suicide:

It finally worked after giving me a lot of trouble - the icon was on my iPod with the rest of my apps but stuck saying 'downloading'. I had to delete the app, go to the app store, find it in my Purchased and download it again, at which point it properly offered to download the latest compatible version. :toot:

Met posted:

Does the Awful App no long support the 4th Gen iPod touch?z

Edit: after tinkering with it, it's wants to give me the latest compatible version for my device, it just can't download it for whatever reason.

Similarly, does it show the icon on your iPod but it's showing it downloading stuck at a certain percentage? Delete it and then go find it in the app store and set it to download again, it might make it budge. Or try restarting your iPod first.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

TheJoker138 posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea they had an iOS version out now. This was my go to on Android as well, and while Grocery IQ is passable I'm totally switching back to this one now.

I saw several reviews about Out of Milk having syncing issues. If you use the syncing, can you post about how it works for you?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm looking for a good restaurant (or places in general) bookmarking app. Something that'll let me save places I like to eat and that I'd like to try. There are so many apps that kinda do this sorta stuff that I'm finding it hard to pick. I'm not particularly interested in social features but I don't mind if they're in there. Tagging would be a big bonus because, as an example, there are loads of pubs in my city that do 2-for-1 deals and if I was out with friends it'd be handy to be able to pull up everything nearby that I've tagged '241'.

A perfect example of what I'm looking for is Matchbook but it crashes so often it's verging on unusable. Anything similar out there?

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 14, 2014

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

I'm looking for a good restaurant (or places in general) bookmarking app.

I do this with Evernote Food: http://evernote.com/food/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Have you looked at the restaurant recommendation app Ness?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Am I missing it, or does the ability to tell Siri 'Remember this location' not exist? Would be incredibly handy to be able to add a location bookmark by saying 'Remember this location > (What is this location called) > Krogers in blahblah town name'.

Or maybe not. I'd like it though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ChetReckless posted:

I suspect it would be too simple for some, but I use Clear for my lists. No sharing, though.

Is there a desktop version you can since to?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there a desktop version you can since to?

I don't have a Mac but apparently they do offer a Mac version and it syncs through iCloud, apparently.

I mostly like Clear because its super simple and it looks pretty. It handles really intuitively with gestures, as well.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cool, cheers. Is there a PC version, anyone know?

EDIT: While I'm here. Any decent Apps for reading synopses of TV shows and tracking episodes? Trakt is pretty good but I'm wondering if there's an alternative out there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ICHIBAHN posted:

EDIT: While I'm here. Any decent Apps for reading synopses of TV shows and tracking episodes? Trakt is pretty good but I'm wondering if there's an alternative out there.

I use Episodes. It's not BURSTING with features or anything but I can add shows to my watch list, read synopsis, see schedules, and see (and then check off) what I've watched...

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

While I'm here. Any decent Apps for reading synopses of TV shows and tracking episodes? Trakt is pretty good but I'm wondering if there's an alternative out there.

I created an account on http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat , added the shows I watch to my favorites and added the iCal link as a subscribed calendar on my phone so the default iOS calendar automatically gets populated with shows I watch. Kinda basic but I use the calendar app a lot so having my tv shows in there is nice. It has episode descriptions but no way of marking shows as watched unfortunately.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

I use Episodes. It's not BURSTING with features or anything but I can add shows to my watch list, read synopsis, see schedules, and see (and then check off) what I've watched...

I'm a big fan of episodes except the part where you can't download it in the US anymore. I wanted it for my Mac but newp. I don't understand why. I'd be willing to throw money their way for the desktop version

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

I don't have a Mac but apparently they do offer a Mac version and it syncs through iCloud, apparently.

I mostly like Clear because its super simple and it looks pretty. It handles really intuitively with gestures, as well.

It baffles me that any tasks style app doesn't piggy back off Reminders as Fantastical does - it seems that with some effort you can get all the benefits of location based reminders but with a different interface.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Neurophonic posted:

It baffles me that any tasks style app doesn't piggy back off Reminders as Fantastical does - it seems that with some effort you can get all the benefits of location based reminders but with a different interface.

I believe I read somewhere that the devs of Clear started with all the bells and whistles (reminders, scheduled tasks, etc) but eventually stripped them all away.

To be honest that's exactly why its the one I use. I use it more as a 'list' app than a 'tasks' app, and I mostly just put in shopping lists and gentle "to do" reminders ("buy that song you heard on the radio" "look up that book you heard about on the podcast" "bring that thing to work one of those days") that have no urgency or time constraints. It's definitely not something you'll use to organize your life but I like how its uncomplicated and not distracting to use. I use a calendar for the other stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Brain Curry posted:

I saw several reviews about Out of Milk having syncing issues. If you use the syncing, can you post about how it works for you?

I don't usually use syncing, but next time I do a grocery run I'll test it out and report back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any Apps / tweaks that allow you to play to play two audio files at the same time?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is there a remote control app out there similar to Unified Remote for Android?

Not looking to have the screen replicated on my phone/iPad (ala VNC or Remote Desktop), just looking for something similar to touchpad capabilities.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

duffmensch posted:

Not looking to have the screen replicated on my phone/iPad (ala VNC or Remote Desktop), just looking for something similar to touchpad capabilities.

Like a mouse emulator?

RemoteMouse is decent. Not great, but it works.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
upit has suddenly and unfortunately stopped working – any recommendations for a very simple resize and upload image app? It doesn't have to be imgur-specific.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

duffmensch posted:

Splashtop Touchpad is currently on sale.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

duffmensch posted:

I use mobile mouse. It's not free but it works really well!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

tuyop posted:

I use mobile mouse. It's not free but it works really well!

I use mobile mouse too. Has a nice presentation setting for PowerPoint/Keynote.

I haven't used Logitech's Touch Mouse, but it's 100% freer.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-mouse/id338237450?mt=8

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a reminder app that uses the notification system? I'd like to make a note to myself and have it be a constant local notification until I acknowledge it. (IE: On the lock screen even if I unlock the phone and then relock it.)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

ihatepants posted:

Weblock, an adblocker for iOS, went free for the first time. This works pretty well for unjailbroken iOS devices, but it's limited to Wifi only.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/weblock-adblock-for-ios/id558818638?mt=8

I'm a bit late, but thanks for posting this. I've been using opendns to block the most common ad networks but this Weblock app is a much better solution. I'm surprised Apple even allowed it on the App Store.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

terre packet posted:

upit has suddenly and unfortunately stopped working – any recommendations for a very simple resize and upload image app? It doesn't have to be imgur-specific.

You referring to the constant crash when it tries to give you the URL in your clipboard?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

You referring to the constant crash when it tries to give you the URL in your clipboard?

Yep! I switched to Imgupr which works fine but doesn't have as streamlined an interface.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I didn't see it in the last few pages or the OP so I'd thought I'd ask what is the best ios comic book reader currently?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
One of my apps (Card Wars) had an update come out and is trying to force me to update.

I do not want to, is there anyway to disable it from forcing me to? I open the app but it says "new version available" and anywhere I touch opens the store.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Bonobos posted:

I didn't see it in the last few pages or the OP so I'd thought I'd ask what is the best ios comic book reader currently?

No idea if it's the best but I use Comic Zeal and it does everything I want it to. If there is a better alternative, I'd like to know as well.

You are talking about .cbr and .cbz readers right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For your own comic comic collection, Comic Zeal is still the best, I think.

If you're looking to start/switch to digital, Comixology is the way to go.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

goodness posted:

One of my apps (Card Wars) had an update come out and is trying to force me to update.

I do not want to, is there anyway to disable it from forcing me to? I open the app but it says "new version available" and anywhere I touch opens the store.

Turn off wifi/data and it'll let you play normally.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

croutonZA posted:

No idea if it's the best but I use Comic Zeal and it does everything I want it to. If there is a better alternative, I'd like to know as well.

You are talking about .cbr and .cbz readers right?

Exactly. I'll check out Comic Zeal, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Comic zeal is 100% the best comic app. Been using it for 4-5 years and had no issues.

• Locked thread