Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really loved how he was able to tap into CCTV to put together plans of attack. And his HUD was very well designed in my opinion.

I almost feel like a traitor for liking this film so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Speaking of CCTV, I know its presence is what makes RoboCop so useful and its probably been in place so long that people are used to it, but I don't really buy that criminals would just sling drugs and commit crimes out in front of them without giving a poo poo.

But they flat out show you this murderer rapist dude who's been at-large for YEARS, so they're clearly telling you cops don't get around to everything. It just makes the entire police force look corrupt instead of a few players, which I think is a misstep.

The CCTV system is wholly useless until RoboCop shows up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

I really loved how he was able to tap into CCTV to put together plans of attack. And his HUD was very well designed in my opinion.

I almost feel like a traitor for liking this film so much!
I'll admit, I did like seeing quite a few shots with the red lines at the top and bottom of the screen like you were looking through Robo's visor. Didn't really dig the rest of the HUD design, though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/7/26/badass-robocop-geek-art

Here's a nice piece of art. I like the helmet better here amongst other things.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I watch Robocop 2 today because someone mentioned the sequel being better than I expect late-eighties movie sequels to be, and HOLY poo poo. It's amazing. The satirical elements were even better than the first. I'm surprised that a film that became so popular and well-known is so good in so many ways at once.

I love the way they contrast Robocop willingly frying himself to become free to enact actual justice with Cain seizing his own control device to authorise his freedom in order to simply take more drugs.

I will never watch Robocop 3 because I already know it doesn't involve Robocop burning OCP to the ground and heralding a new age of egalitarian freedom, and that is THE ONLY end to this saga there can possibly be. Does any movie legit have that kind of ending? Elysium?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'll admit, I did like seeing quite a few shots with the red lines at the top and bottom of the screen like you were looking through Robo's visor. Didn't really dig the rest of the HUD design, though.

I didn't really find anything there to like. It just looked like the film went anamorphic and had some trajectory graphics or a crosshair now and then. 80s and 90s era film HUDs with scrolling nonsense text and color overlay and scanlines got this one beat in that regard.

Well I guess the criminal background check things came up too, and that was pretty cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/7/26/badass-robocop-geek-art

Here's a nice piece of art. I like the helmet better here amongst other things.
Yeah that's very badass. Looks anime as gently caress and I.....like it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hbomberguy posted:

I will never watch Robocop 3 because I already know it doesn't involve Robocop burning OCP to the ground and heralding a new age of egalitarian freedom, and that is THE ONLY end to this saga there can possibly be. Does any movie legit have that kind of ending? Elysium?

Fight Club sort of?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Let's not forget the funniest line in the film, paraphrased:

"I can tazer you, causing you to flop around like a fish and cause you to poo poo and piss yourself, then arrest you. Or you can tell me where my target is. (Beat) Then I arrest you. "

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Let's not forget the funniest line in the film, paraphrased:

"I can tazer you, causing you to flop around like a fish and cause you to poo poo and piss yourself, then arrest you. Or you can tell me where my target is. (Beat) Then I arrest you. "

I don't know I thought "That was totally justifiable" after Murphy tazers Biggs when he has a hand grenade and he blows up was better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jay Baruchel was the best person to cast as far as "we need a guy to say funny stuff." Prior to seeing the film I was like "Well, Jay's in it so I'll enjoy that at least."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rhyno posted:

Jay Baruchel was the best person to cast as far as "we need a guy to say funny stuff." Prior to seeing the film I was like "Well, Jay's in it so I'll enjoy that at least."

"I'm just in marketing!"

Personally I loved Michael Keaton more than I knew I would. My favorite line was his response to Jay: "Well, that's just...embarrassing."

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
"What happens if I tazer an exoskeleton with a little rear end in a top hat inside?"

"I think we'd all like to find out."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hbomberguy posted:

You literally described the ending of Robocop 3, even though as a movie its pretty bad.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, one of the reasons I think Robocop 3 doesn't work is because it's got too much wish fulfillment in taking down OCP. I haven't seen the film since I was 11, and maybe the badness got in the way, but it just felt...dishonest.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The main reason RoboCop 3 doesn't work is because its loving boring!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm not surprised that people are complaining about Robocop not fighting more crimes. There's a certain type of person who thinks that if we didn't see it, it absolutely never happened. Go check out the Man of STeel thread where dozens of posters say that since Superman barely helped any normal civilians during the times of crisis that it 100% did not happen.

In 1987 violent crime was at an all time high in the U.S., so the basic premise of needing a Robocop to fight crime might have made more sense. Since crime has declined significantly since the early 90s, they're probably just dancing around this conundrum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Some Other Guy posted:

In 1987 violent crime was at an all time high in the U.S., so the basic premise of needing a Robocop to fight crime might have made more sense. Since crime has declined significantly since the early 90s, they're probably just dancing around this conundrum.

It still makes sense, just that in the modern day it's to reduce cost via automation rather than having a super soldier that criminals can't take down.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You don't need a crime epidemic to justify a robocop, but what I mean is this is probably why you don't see him fighting a lot of crime in the movie. Or maybe no I don't know

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Violent crime has declined dramatically, but incarceration has not.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well that's already the premise of Demolition Man

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would love to see what would happen if they remade Demolition Man.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would love to see what would happen if they remade Demolition Man.

They'll try to modernize the President Schwarzenegger joke and it will be emblematic of the failures of the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Some Other Guy posted:

You don't need a crime epidemic to justify a robocop, but what I mean is this is probably why you don't see him fighting a lot of crime in the movie. Or maybe no I don't know

A crime epidemic was not why Omnicorp wanted robots, they wanted them nationally for peacekeeping duties. And profits.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So, yeah, just got back from this, not sure if I liked it or not but it was DEFINITELY worth seeing. Some things to make note of:

-This movie is not meant to work in the same context as the original, it takes the base concept and runs with it in a different direction. Comparing the two on a point-to-point basis doesn't really work.

-This film is not satirical, it's allegorical. It's all about Authoritarianism, control, corruption and power. Note the repeated references to Robocop's porgramming as "the system."

I'm definitely gonna need to rewatch this, but all in all I think it was a lot meatier than expected, it's less about "being robocop" and more about another take on the idea of a Robot Cop in a corrupt system.

I can't say for sure if it succeeded but in general this is the kind of remake people SHOULD be trying to do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

They'll try to modernize the President Schwarzenegger joke and it will be emblematic of the failures of the film.

I think the only way it would work is if they tried to make it all gritty.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So the impression I'm getting from the thread is that it's at least worth watching with friends?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

-This movie is not meant to work in the same context as the original, it takes the base concept and runs with it in a different direction. Comparing the two on a point-to-point basis doesn't really work.

Comparing them thematically can be fun, though. In the original Robocop Dilbert-esque incompetence is a significant factor. OCP is constantly being ruined by dumb programming errors and loopholes, right up until the ending. In the remake, it's very clearly established that robots are totally perfect at their jobs- way better than people. But the corporate people are still done in because now instead of reacting to incompetence they're just smugly assuming invulnerability. It's honestly kind of hilarious that the OCP only figures out near the end of the movie that Robocop could easily use his magic murderer-catching technology to finger their involvement in all sorts of shady criminal underworld enterprises. It's just not something that's ever come up before since up until that point it had never occurred to anyone to utilize the technology that way.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Just saw it. drat, was NOT expecting to have enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm just glad they didn't try to go the same style as the original. It is definitely it's own thing. I will say this. I did cringe when they shoehorned two classic lines from the movie, but that was honestly the only "ugh" part. It's a good film. Go see it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Just saw it. drat, was NOT expecting to have enjoyed it as much as I did.
Same here. Really liked it, and for the same reasons as you, saw it in the mood of "Welp, not much else out there" and was shocked at how competently it was handled, especially after the trailers and posters made me roll my eyes - influenced no doubt due to the swarm of reboots lately. In the end it's kind of surprising how well the plotlines eventually mesh up with the original but they went about it in such a different way that it's almost a surprise.

quote:

I'm just glad they didn't try to go the same style as the original. It is definitely it's own thing. I will say this. I did cringe when they shoehorned two classic lines from the movie, but that was honestly the only "ugh" part. It's a good film. Go see it.
Yeah, there was so little of that - I expected a lot more obnoxious callbacks and winks, those two were very low-key and quickly over. Verhoven is Verhoven, and it was a different time. It seems a lot of reviewers wanted an imitation just with better special effects, it just wouldn't work in my view. I thought most of the dialogue was surprisingly...adult. Keaton was great, while near the end he has his stroking-cat "evil" moment to some extent, few if any of the characters are cartoons - I got the sense through most of the film his drive was much his own ego and legacy concern rather than being an outright sociopath - more like unbridled greed and narcissism.

Sure Rorschach was as close as we got, but due to his position it's not that unbelievable for his character to be formed as such, and still the way he was written most of his anger seemed to be disgust at what he saw as meddling in a program he truly believed in and had his ego heavily invested into, as compared to say the SA mercs in Elysium who were true bug-eyed frothing psychopaths.

Love how Oldman's character is slowly corrupted in increments and the congnitive dissodance he communicates so well as he keeps going further until his moral barometer finally pops. I tells ya, that kid's going places! He's gold, baby - gold!

They also avoided the downfall of many films with kids as a prime motivator for the hero "breaking th system" - most can't act, so they wrote the kid as basically a mute born through shock and confusion which was the right choice IMO.

One things for sure, never was a fan of Roeper but sweet gently caress after reading his review I'm reminded of a Patton Oswalt bit where he tells a story about realizing the point you know you absolutely have to leave a small town is when the only local film reviewer is completely befuddled by virtually any modern cinema that isn't absolutely literal. Roeper was seriously confused as to the point of Samuel L. Jackons character, and felt the film was too "cynical". You've got to be loving kidding me - it's cynical because it should be given what's happening with the media, the militarization of policing and the military's use of private contractors currently. Yes it's a "cinematic trend" but it's a trend for a reason. Samuel's character was just a more honest O'Reilly with a slightly more blatant corporate propaganda network, in 10 years if things keep at their pace it will barely be able to be seen as parody. He basically comes close to calling the film Anti-American.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly, I really liked it. I found it really disappointing in social commentary, but the added just sheer loving horror of what was done to him and the emotion and man vs. machine was great. I wish that it had stronger villians and I still don't understand some things

Wait , why was it bad that he talked to the press? Why did they want to kill him? Because he exposed corruption? He readjusted his own dopamine and was in control again? I'm still unclear on the motivation to kill him because it seemed to me that he got better once he overwrote his own programming. I dunno, just wish it had better villians

Very different movie in tone and scope, it was really more drama and I enjoyed that. Maybe not as great as the original, but still I enjoyed it.

Also, the technology level was totally loving believable and the first scenes of Gary Oldman's character was fantastic the whole loving rehab clinic.

The tech in the film was completely believable , it was not just "magic".

The CCTV thing was loving insanely scary when you think about it.

Also HOLY poo poo The scene, you know which one. Where he's just a loving head and lungs and hand. Holy poo poo! That was loving gruesome and terrifying

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 15, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

computer parts posted:

It still makes sense, just that in the modern day it's to reduce cost via automation rather than having a super soldier that criminals can't take down.

The 80s version was equal parts Gordon Gecko styled 'we're gonna sell a FUCKTON of these' and 'unstoppable mantank takes back The Streets'. With the American Built subtext, its also a dig against Japanese murderterminators destroying America.

The thing about Fighting Crime in the Verhoven version is that it absolutely shows what a ridiculous overreaction a RoboCop is to societal(economic) problems.
He stops a rape by shooting a dude in the nuts (badass!) And gives a hysterical victim a generic 'please hold. Your mental sanity and emotional well being are important to us' that is practical but soulless.

I'm thinking, especially with CCtvision, its more of a 'look at how pervasive modern technology is we hardly notice... And its cheap!' approach.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if they really wanted to make a socially accurate version along the lines of "what works" at effective crime control, robocop would just be an automated prison system. that's probably already a movie too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The more I think about the film the more I like it, because while yes Michael Keatons character got a little cartoonish toward the end there. Pretty much everyone in the film were pretty much well competent The fact is though is that the technology worked. It was working, the whole point of the movie isn't to make a super robot to stop crime, they can do that fine. They just wanted political points.

Just like Robocop the original was based around the excess of the 80s, this one was exactly about our culture today and there by really it's a perfect reboot reimagining whatever. Because it fits the time. I think that's why people seem to have trouble with it. It's all about how interwined corporations are in our lives now and persistance of the surveillance state.

It's a drat good film, it has a few low points but its really good.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hollismason posted:

Honestly, I really liked it. I found it really disappointing in social commentary, but the added just sheer loving horror of what was done to him and the emotion and man vs. machine was great. I wish that it had stronger villians and I still don't understand some things

Wait , why was it bad that he talked to the press? Why did they want to kill him? Because he exposed corruption? He readjusted his own dopamine and was in control again? I'm still unclear on the motivation to kill him because it seemed to me that he got better once he overwrote his own programming. I dunno, just wish it had better villians

It seemed like the screenwriters realized they needed a big third act climax, but couldn't quite fit the necessary pieces together to make it work. I think taking down the head of Omnicorp would have worked better in a sequel, instead of forcing it in. That way they could have actually developed Keaton's character more and given the audience a reason to hate him.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

There's actually only one screenwriter for this movie- Joshua Zeturner. Which I think goes a long way to explaining why there's such an unusual amount of narrative cohesion here for a studio film. It makes sense when you consider the franchise. Robocop's a big name, sure, but how exactly do you design it by committee when the appeal of the original is so difficult to discreetly quantify? A lot of it's just in how the concept sounds really cheesy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the only way it would work is if they tried to make it all gritty.

Yeah, make the Demolition Man be resurrected in a time where society has gone all super-fascist and the police routinely arrest, shoot, extort and torture people with little justification and accountability and he's brought back in because the only law enforcement officer who has a memory of what proper police work actually was (even though he's a loose cannon that followed his own rules). He has to take apart a system in which he himself created through his actions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One little thing I liked is when Murphy gets in the suit and runs away Oldmans orders "Murphy come back" isn't announced with the usual *krrrzt* style radio transmission signifiers. Its crystal clear to the point where it just sounds like a conscience in Murphys head or something.

Hollismason posted:

That was the problem, he got better a robocop who lowers crime rates by shooting gang members in the face is one thing. A robocop who's good enough to actually investigate crime higher up in the system is another.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 15, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have to disagree with goonsensus here. This movie was hot garbage. all the dark humor and bitter violence of the original has been replaced by lukewarm melodrama between Murphy and his wife. The original robocop is not a perfect movie: it raises existential questions that it doesn't know quite how to answer, but the production as a whole is so strong that you hardly notice. Great villains, terrific lead, great pacing. This movie lacks all of that so when it struggles to decide if it's a philosophical debate on national security or an action movie it fails at both. When it needs a joke to lighten the load, like the ED209 tripping down the stairs, it instead tries to tug at your heart strings. When it needs someone to get ripped in half with an automatic rifle because it would be cool, instead it gives you a limp shoot out between robots as endless bullets ping off their armor indicating nothing. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones remake, its almost in line with what made two of those movies good but missed that critical ten percent which gave scenes weight. The new Robocop is joyless as a viewing experience and lacks thrill or threat to the characters you're supposed to care about.

Long story short, this is its own movie. And if the original did not exist I think everyone would recognize that this is a movie with good ideas wasted on a weird production. The best bits are Oldman and Keaton but they can't hold this thing together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

echronorian posted:

Long story short, this is its own movie. And if the original did not exist I think everyone would recognize that this is a movie with good ideas wasted on a weird production. The best bits are Oldman and Keaton but they can't hold this thing together.

Thats pretty much how I see it now, its just that I'd prefer to talk about the things I liked than the parts that failed in comparison to the original.

• Locked thread