Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Dear Thread,

I bought tamarind paste totally on a whim. Tell me what awesome things I should do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Captain Trips posted:

This is the problem I have (and I think most others have). If it was renamed to omit the "chili" misnomer, I wouldn't hate it. But it pretends to be chili and that grinds my gears.

I don't get the issue with cincinatti chili, it has pretty much everything that "defines" chili but served with cheese ontop of spaghetti and it has beans in it. Is that so terrible that it can't be called chili?

Does that mean boston baked beans are not real beans? Or is California Rolls not real sushi cause it comes from California. Where does the idea that food cannot morph or modify end?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I don't get the issue with cincinatti chili, it has pretty much everything that "defines" chili but served with cheese ontop of spaghetti and it has beans in it. Is that so terrible that it can't be called chili?

It's the cocoa and cinnamon that define it as "not chili" in my mind.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Duxwig posted:

It was a standard recipe and already brown sugar in there as noted. Any other way to have a tad more caramel flavoring outside of the filling? I want to experiment with the filling to educate myself on making the caramel but goal wise I'd love to get to the point that the cake itself tastes a bit more caramelly and no filling. I understand the cake can't replace pure caramel filling but I know there's hope as a local cupcake joint has a nice caramelly flavor with a rich amber color and dense almost carrot cake like texture. I'm stubborn and only want to ask about their methods if I can't figure it out by trial and error :)

You could make a dry caramel, pour it onto a silpat then let it cool. Break it up and chuck it into a food processor. Run it until it's a fine powder. Sift out any bigger pieces. Use that instead of the brown sugar. Not sure if it would actually work, but it's something to try.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just don't make Cincinnati style chili because that poo poo's gross and an affront to chili.

I will loving fight you FGR. :colbert:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Save me jeebus posted:

Dear Thread,

I bought tamarind paste totally on a whim. Tell me what awesome things I should do with it.

It's common in Middle Eastern and East Asian cooking. I put it in Thai peanut sauce, and it adds a bit of umami sort of taste to homemade sweet and sour sauce. One of my best friends is Pakistani, and her mom makes tamarind potatoes. They seem like home fried potatoes, with some tamarind based glaze, and they are ten kinds of awesome. I would Google Middle Eastern and Indian food with tamarind and you will certainly find something to your liking. :)

So I had to Google Cincinnati chili. It sounds sort of like chili mac and mole sauce had some sort of bastard offspring. It sounds pretty good, whatever you want to call it. I'm married to a chili purist, so it would not be called chili in our house.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

There's cocoa in cincy chili? :psyduck:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

There's cocoa in cincy chili? :psyduck:

wikipedia posted:

Cincinnati chili (or “Cincinnati-style chili”) is a regional style of chili con carne characterized by the use of seasonings such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice or chocolate. It is commonly served over spaghetti or as a hot dog sauce, and is normally of a thin, sauce-like consistency, unlike most chili con carne.

It's really coney sauce, not chili.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Captain Trips posted:

Cocoa is a fairly good ingredient to use in Chili, it doesn't add much of a taste but infact enhances the taste of the other ingredients. Plus it's used in several varieties of mole, including my favorite, mole negro.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Save me jeebus posted:

Dear Thread,

The 1st thing I ever did with that was make pad thai.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Capers are awesome. Eat capers. Put capers on pasta, have capers with aged cheddar, capers are the best.

Capers on a bagel with cream cheese. Yum. Bonus if it's with smoked salmon and red onion.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Capers on a bagel with cream cheese. Yum. Bonus if it's with smoked salmon and red onion.

I stopped buying capers in brine (well, except for the gigantic ones because those are good in martinis) and am only buying the ones which are preserved in the big chunks of salt. Infinitely better.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Save me jeebus posted:

Dear Thread,

Pad Thai. Always.

It's also pretty good as a marinade for prawns. Get a half cup or thereabouts, add fish sauce and sugar to taste (about 3tb of each, but it will vary depending on what paste you have) and bbq them bitches. Serve over rice, squeeze on lime juice and maybe a light dusting of chilli.

But seriously, pad thai.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 14, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Save me jeebus posted:

Dear Thread,

Tamarind paste is great as a sour, tart note in curries.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Possibly my favorite use for tamarind is to make Indian onion chutney.... mmmmmmm.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I stopped buying capers in brine (well, except for the gigantic ones because those are good in martinis) and am only buying the ones which are preserved in the big chunks of salt. Infinitely better.
This, times a billion. When I realised that salt-packed capers were A Thing, I never turned back.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tamarind paste is often a secret ingredient in bbq sauce.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

It defines midwestern cuisine.

404 mayo not found

Wouldn't that be hotdish or some sort of terrible jello salad?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Chili and capers chat all up in here.

Chili: I love peanut butter in my chili. I've started doing it fairly recently because it's reminiscent of the chili served at a chain back home and hot drat is it awesome.

Capers: I forgot I had a small bottle stashed away in the back of my fridge. It's been there for like three years. Can I eat it without fear of my innards escaping through my anus?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Save me jeebus posted:

Dear Thread,

Make a chickpea daal with it in. Delicious sour-y goodness.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

make nam prik pao with tamarind. spread on toast, stir fry foods with it, eat it with a spoon. unf

also make sinigang

or tamarindo agua fresca.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

kinmik posted:

I love peanut butter in my chili.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I can't even be mad at this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That would literally be me if you fed me that chili because I am allergic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kinmik posted:

I love peanut butter in my chili.

It's good in chicken mole or enchilada sauce, but you don't use enough to actually taste it, do you?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idk if I can call this chili but...

I just threw in some pinto beans, some onions, some pepper, salt, Red Rooster, and chili powder with a big hunk of chuck steak. Should be done in about 7 or 8 hours.

What even is chili anyways?

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Makin' crab legs for the boyfriend tonight for Valentine's day. Are there any particularly good/fancy ways to cook them or should I just boil them like my mom always did?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can do a lot with crab legs, steam, boil, bake, slow cook, poo poo I've even made them in the microwave. (Do not make crab legs in the microwave, rubbery as hell.)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

moechae posted:

Makin' crab legs for the boyfriend tonight for Valentine's day. Are there any particularly good/fancy ways to cook them or should I just boil them like my mom always did?

I've always steamed them...never heard of boiling them-not to say that's in any way wrong at all. I just always throw an inch of water in a pot and put em on top in a steam basket. I've tried with/without oldbay seasoning in the water and can't tell a difference, to be honest.

edit: Just saw the above ways to cook em...now, since they are already cooked, do they even taste different doing it all these different ways? Obviously microwave would have a negative effect on them, but I can't see the difference between the others.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Okay. I might just steam them...I was poking around on the Internet and saw some different ways like grilling them or baking and basting them with garlic butter every 5 minutes. I'm curious if the techniques actually make a difference, since, yeah, they come precooked. (Something I didn't originally know!)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moechae posted:

Okay. I might just steam them...I was poking around on the Internet and saw some different ways like grilling them or baking and basting them with garlic butter every 5 minutes. I'm curious if the techniques actually make a difference, since, yeah, they come precooked. (Something I didn't originally know!)

Definitely don't boil. That will just make them waterlogged. I'd steam them. You could season them but that won't penetrate the shell very well. You're better off serving them with garlicky butter or something.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
My very well-intentioned mother-in-law sent us some valetine's day stuff, like she does every year, but this year it's Valentine's themed funfetti cake mix, Valentine's themed funfetti vanilla icing, and cupcake papers / a cupcake tin. And, while I could chuck this in the pantry and throw it out when we move, I kind of feel like I could do something cool with it maybe, and she's so sweet I don't want to let her down by wasting it.

Obviously I am not making straight-up funfetti cupcakes, if only because I can count the number of times I've followed the recipe on a box on one hand. Thoughts on flavoring this so it's not all sugar and sprinkle flavor? I'm thinking maybe filling the cupcakes with a curd or cheesecake or something, mixing booze with the oh-my-god-so-many-stabilizers funfetti icing, and adding some booze and zest and god knows what else to the cake. Help me gussy this up, GWS!

fake edit: I also have tamarind. Tamarind?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Funfetti Prinzregententorte.

To be more specific: add either cocoa or instant coffee dissolved in a tiny bit of water to your icing and add rum aroma to your cake mix. Coat the outside with the traditional cocoa/chocolate icing. Have fun making tons of fancy layers.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 14, 2014

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

Make a chickpea daal with it in. Delicious sour-y goodness.

Ooh. The suggestions of "pad thai" did not fall upon deaf ears, but as I'm nursing a pretty nasty cold (and being a little pathetic about it) daal sounds much more doable at the moment.

GrAviTy84 posted:

make nam prik pao with tamarind. spread on toast, stir fry foods with it, eat it with a spoon. unf

Oh yeah. Gonna do this.

Thanks dudes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm the dude who was asking about picnics earlier--thanks a ton for your suggestions, guys.

Asking my SO what she wanted for Valentines she said 'nothing, any gift is a good gift, I just want you!' This is sweet, but it is a trap. This year I decided to call her bluff. Since she works tonight we decided to have our Valentines celebration a day early. I showed up last night empty handed and said "you're right, we don't need to spend money on each other to prove our love," stuff like that. Originally the plan was to go on a hike where I'd have a visible balloon on a side trail, we'd go check it out and there would be a picnic basket with her name on it. Due to the last minute change of plans and inclement weather I decided to leave it under a gazebo in a local park we frequent. After she gave me my presents I suggested we head there and go on a walk. She was super surprised and thanks in large part to the suggestions of this thread, pretty impressed as well.

In the basket I had a bag of crusty rolls, some a few slices of calabrese in case the serrano wasn't a hit, and some manchego and another cheese whose name I don't remember. I also packed a hummus spread and a fruit cup along with a knife, two mini wineglasses and a corckscrew and brought with me hidden in my coat a bottle of wine. Laid over the top was a single red rose. I originally was going to have a baguette instead of the rolls but it wouldn't fit in the drat basket.

I'd never bought food from an actual market before, always getting meat and cheese from the grocery store, so this was a pretty cool experience and meat/cheese/bread from the deli is so much better it's actually insane. Sorry for the long and only vaguely relevant post, I just wanted you guys to know your suggestions worked out beautifully, thanks!

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 11, 2017

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

It's good in chicken mole or enchilada sauce, but you don't use enough to actually taste it, do you?
Nah. More or less, it lends a creamy note. I mean, you can definitely tell that it's different from your usual chili, but it's supposed to be adapted from a Hawaii restaurant chain that's super popular.

Sharzak, that's the :3:est Valentine's Day story I've heard today.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
:siren:HOT SAUCE QUESTION.:siren:

I've been packaging my hot sauce in 5oz woozy bottles for a long time, but I get a pretty low re-use rate on them on account of giving a lot it away combine with not always being able to get them completely clean for re-use. So I'm thinking of moving to a either plastic woozy bottles of 8oz squeezies clear plastic squeezies like you put custom sauces in for the kitchen. The thing is, I sometimes might need to store these sauce for a year or so in the final packaging before they get used/given away. Does anyone have any experience with long term storage of hot sauce or other vinegar based sauce in plastic containers? What flavor effects are seen?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:siren:HOT SAUCE QUESTION.:siren:

I've been packaging my hot sauce in 5oz woozy bottles for a long time, but I get a pretty low re-use rate on them on account of giving a lot it away combine with not always being able to get them completely clean for re-use. So I'm thinking of moving to a either plastic woozy bottles of 8oz squeezies clear plastic squeezies like you put custom sauces in for the kitchen. The thing is, I sometimes might need to store these sauce for a year or so in the final packaging before they get used/given away. Does anyone have any experience with long term storage of hot sauce or other vinegar based sauce in plastic containers? What flavor effects are seen?

I've had numerous ancient bottles of old Mcilhenys Tobasco sauce in plastic and glass that I've used. I know for a fact many of them were 3-5 years old. The main things I noticed were that they discolored to a browner tone and they took on more of a vinegar flavor than fresh batches. They were still useful and didn't taste bad, just different. I did not notice a difference between plastic and glass. This is just for that one type of sauce.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What's a good recipe for vinegar coleslaw? I wanna put together a sandwich. :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

kinmik posted:

Nah. More or less, it lends a creamy note. I mean, you can definitely tell that it's different from your usual chili, but it's supposed to be adapted from a Hawaii restaurant chain that's super popular.

Sharzak, that's the :3:est Valentine's Day story I've heard today.

You're saying Zippy's puts it in their chili? Hell no, braddah. Goin' get false crack talking li' dat.