Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anatharon posted:

Or FE on mars.

What would the weapon triangle look like? Assuming they don't go with a sort of Star Wars faux-feudal system, I imagine characters would be more like modern shooter archetypes. Assault Rifles/Shotguns/SMGs with Sniper Rifles taking the place of bows? "Magic" characters use explosive like mortars, grenades and bazookas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They could just do away with the weapon triangle, y'know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But...but...then how is it Fire Emblem!? :saddowns:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lotish posted:

What would the weapon triangle look like? Assuming they don't go with a sort of Star Wars faux-feudal system, I imagine characters would be more like modern shooter archetypes. Assault Rifles/Shotguns/SMGs with Sniper Rifles taking the place of bows? "Magic" characters use explosive like mortars, grenades and bazookas?

Tanks beat Anti-Air beat Helicopters beat Tanks

Wait

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anatharon posted:

That's not too bad. I mean, certain other Fire Emblem games I can think of had straight up incest as a thing the plot revolved around, that's relatively tame.

I still find it hilarious that Awakening is the first time incest has ever made it outside of Japan, though. The entire series has this big reputation for it but you could never see it without playing FE4/5 until now. I suppose the internet is just unhealthily focused on people loving their relatives.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Sacred Stones was also really infamous for it thanks to the support conversations between Ephraim and Eirika.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ungulateman posted:

I still find it hilarious that Awakening is the first time incest has ever made it outside of Japan, though. The entire series has this big reputation for it but you could never see it without playing FE4/5 until now. I suppose the internet is just unhealthily focused on people loving their relatives.

What? It wasn't front and center or anything, but it was definitely in 7. Priscilla really liked her brother. Really liked him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ungulateman posted:

I suppose the internet is just unhealthily focused on people loving their relatives.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Artix posted:

What? It wasn't front and center or anything, but it was definitely in 7. Priscilla really liked her brother. Really liked him.

Eeeh, that one got a bit of an unfair rap. She's creepily clingy, granted, but it's more in a "Hey last known living relative, don't go get killed in a pointless crusade" way rather than "You, my bed, now".

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I was actually hesitating about mentioning Priscilla because I didn't want to display my in-depth knowledge of incestuous relationships in Fire Emblem so, y'know.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not really sure what to do with my Cynthia. Henry's the dad, so she has an alright class set, but doesn't get much in the way of good offensive skills outside of Galeforce. If I make her an Assassin she's just gonna be inferior to everyone else due to a lack of Swordfaire, Armsthrift, Aggressor, etc. Do I go with Great Knight, and just give her some utility skills like Dual Guard+ to round her out a bit? Or something else?

e: Regarding the incest thing, there isn't even any of that in Awakening unless you count Aversa being MU's sister sort of? And in Sacred Stones it was just mentioned in an ending that they were married, without anything else talked about or even hinted at alongside that, so...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I dunno. I never saw any incest between Priscilla and Raven. Family can care about each other without it leading there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You could just make Cynthia a Sorcerer, they're essentially the most broken class in the game.

As for Awakening incest, you could have Lucina and Owain S support each other, as well as some other combination with Morgan or Kjelle if he/she was a descendant of Chrom/Lissa. The game terms them as Companions instead of Husband/Wife in that case, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I dunno. I never saw any incest between Priscilla and Raven. Family can care about each other without it leading there.

She wanted to do some marraige thing in the C support? I don't really remember.

Also: Pull up thread, pull up.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

ApplesandOranges posted:

You could just make Cynthia a Sorcerer, they're essentially the most broken class in the game.

As for Awakening incest, you could have Lucina and Owain S support each other, as well as some other combination with Morgan or Kjelle if he/she was a descendant of Chrom/Lissa. The game terms them as Companions instead of Husband/Wife in that case, though.

Is the game smart enough to use Companion if go out of your way to pair up someone with their own uncle via Avatar = Lucina --> Morgan = Owain?

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 11, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yup, I think so.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess that's true, but she doesn't have access to Vantage or Armsthrift so again she'd be strictly worse than the four fully tricked out Sorcerers I already have. It's kind of a shame that she ends up getting screwed over by lack of options compared to the rest of the cast, and her one good father option (Chrom) is so much better elsewhere.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Make her a Bride and have her be a support, if you have that DLC. It's not the best canidate, but eh. Throw some combat skills in too because Brides are almost as good as Dread Fighters for fighting. Then you can never bother with Sages or Valkyries.

If you don't have the DLC, do it but as a Falcoknight, I suppose.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Make her a Bride and have her be a support, if you have that DLC. It's not the best canidate, but eh. Throw some combat skills in too because Brides are almost as good as Dread Fighters for fighting. Then you can never bother with Sages or Valkyries.

If you don't have the DLC, do it but as a Falcoknight, I suppose.

This is a really good idea, actually. I can throw Lancefaire on her and have her be my team's sole dedicated lance user, alongside Owain being the only axe user. I always overlook Bride as having nothing relevant for anyone but rally bots, but it's a pretty solid class to end up in if you can't cut it as an Assassin or Sorcerer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm not really sure what to do with my Cynthia. Henry's the dad, so she has an alright class set, but doesn't get much in the way of good offensive skills outside of Galeforce. If I make her an Assassin she's just gonna be inferior to everyone else due to a lack of Swordfaire, Armsthrift, Aggressor, etc. Do I go with Great Knight, and just give her some utility skills like Dual Guard+ to round her out a bit? Or something else?

e: Regarding the incest thing, there isn't even any of that in Awakening unless you count Aversa being MU's sister sort of? And in Sacred Stones it was just mentioned in an ending that they were married, without anything else talked about or even hinted at alongside that, so...
I have a Cynthia with Henry as the dad and gave her Counter (via Henry), Galeforce, Pass, Movement +1 (to be exchanged with Limit Breaker soon enough) and Lethality. She's currently sitting at level 18 with a Skill of 51 that's still yet to be capped. Needless to say, Lethality triggers a fair bit. She's turned out to be quite the death machine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Get Innocuous! posted:

Sacred Stones was also really infamous for it thanks to the support conversations between Ephraim and Eirika.

The only thing that implied incest was that they were twins.

Also, I don't really remember any in Awakening. Who is it that you can pair up?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Shortest Path posted:

I guess that's true, but she doesn't have access to Vantage or Armsthrift so again she'd be strictly worse than the four fully tricked out Sorcerers I already have. It's kind of a shame that she ends up getting screwed over by lack of options compared to the rest of the cast, and her one good father option (Chrom) is so much better elsewhere.

Actually I think Henry is her best dad - Gaius just overkills her with a speed overdose and while Chrom passes down Aether, which is nice, Cynthia doesn't desperately need it and Lucina has better mothers. Henry can give Cynthia an exclusive skill from the Barbarian line, and allows access to Lifetaker, Dual Support+ and Tomebreaker. He also gives her more Magic in case you want to keep her as a Dark Flier.

Momomo posted:

Lucina/Owain, Owain/Kjelle (fathered by Chrom), and Morgan using uncle/aunt shenanigans, or Owain/Morgan if she was fathered by Chrom.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 11, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Momomo posted:

Lucina + Owain is the easiest one. The other one is if you have Chrom marry Olivia or Maribelle, then you as a male avatar marry Lucina for a third gen Morgan and have her pair up Inigo/Brady. I checked and the game DOES write it up as a "Companions" bond though!

Edit: fb, kinda. We both missed Chrom!Cynthia + Owain. Does Lucina!Morgan + Owain count too?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Hurray I finally managed to pass Stage 6 finally. I particularly enjoyed the parts where the enemy had dark mages which had a skill to lower my accuracy and evasion. That was a fun time. Aggressive use of chokepoints won me the day eventually.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I finally beat the stage where you get Severa in Awakening after many, many tries of her killing herself on the enemies and only AFTER that do I remember that Rescue staffs exist. :suicide:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So is it just me or is everyone in Sealed Sword completely loving blind. Lot, you should not have a 29% chance to hit the big fuckoff General with a Steel Axe.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

LordHippoman posted:

So is it just me or is everyone in Sealed Sword completely loving blind. Lot, you should not have a 29% chance to hit the big fuckoff General with a Steel Axe.

Weapons in Sword of Seals have really bad accuracy and Thrones giving an extra 30 avoid on top of it doesn't help anything. That Steel Axe? Only a 50% chance of hitting before you add in the enemy's avoid. Stick to swords and lances if you ever want to hit anything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Artix posted:

Weapons in Sword of Seals have really bad accuracy and Thrones giving an extra 30 avoid on top of it doesn't help anything. That Steel Axe? Only a 50% chance of hitting before you add in the enemy's avoid. Stick to swords and lances if you ever want to hit anything.

Well hey it's better than that Fire Emblem game where they give you an Axe as a reward and you have no Axe users in that game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just a fancy looking bag of gold.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Volt Catfish posted:

Well hey it's better than that Fire Emblem game where they give you an Axe as a reward and you have no Axe users in that game

That same game also gave you a legendary lance right before you're thrust into several maps where the only lance users you have are Generals because FE3 forced mounted units to dismount and lose their ability to wield lances because they're indoors.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e: wait that was just a dream

---
Is Onmi's avatar new?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anatharon posted:

e: wait that was just a dream

---
Is Onmi's avatar new?

Last I saw, he didn't even have an avatar, so maybe?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Artix posted:

At least the FE6 thrones don't also give a flat 10 bonus to defence (in a game where all stats besides HP cap at 20).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lotish posted:

Last I saw, he didn't even have an avatar, so maybe?

Yeah I feel sorry for whoever brought it. The bushfires started up about the time so I was more worried about my house burning down than a silly avatar. I sincerely hope they got a good laugh out of it though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

At least the FE6 thrones don't also give a flat 10 bonus to defence (in a game where all stats besides HP cap at 20).

Thracia gives you way more ways to hit through both high defense and high avoid than Sword of Seals gives you to hit through high avoid. I'll take Gustav and his 54 HP/30 Defense but relatively low avoid over Gel and his 97 avoid in a game where most units struggle to break 120 hit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Look at that, we're not dead! (Believe me, we're surprised too :ssh:) We're working on getting the actual plot for Chapter 1-6 inserted into the ROM, and development is pushing forward on Chapters 7 and 8. Maps are completely done for Act 1, so it's just a matter of putting enemies down on them and setting up the events. Hopefully that should be done in the next month or so, but I'm not going to make any promises. Here's a few updates on various things going on:

On my end, Hard Mode is done up through Chapter 5, but I'm probably going to back and redo Chapter 2 because I'm not happy with how it turned out.

Anyway, I don't know if I ever really went into what I'm trying to do (and going to miserably fail at, but let's not get ahead of ourselves). This is the prologue on normal mode - all of the enemies are soldiers (which have been buffed since we have a playable soldier, but they're still not super dangerous...yet), and they only ever move if you get in their range. Judith can effortlessly solo the chapter, to say the least.

But here's the hard mode version. For starters, I've swapped out one of the solders for a fighter; still not very dangerous, but this is only the prologue. I've also tweaked their AI a bit - now all of the enemies will charge you at once, and because the fighter has been pulled back a little bit, he and the boss arrive at roughly the same time, rather than with the front soldier.

As another example, here's part of Chapter 1. The village in the center holds 3000 Gold, but it's not particularly difficult to rush over to it. A bandit spawns down in the bottom-right corner on turn 2, but you have to try pretty hard to let him get there before you can.

But again, enter Hard Mode. I haven't actually added any enemies here, but I've moved the mercenary much closer to the village to keep you from rushing Judith over there. In addition, that bandit is now there from the start (because I hate you).

And speaking of maps, here's Chapter 9 - the final map in Act 1. This chapter takes place in the Athanian palace, and is actually only half the complete palace map. There's an upper half for a chapter that also takes place in the palace in Act 2.

Lastly, a couple portraits to share. Edgar is a mercenary, a man willing to do any kind of odd job as long as the price is right.

Fia is a mage with a bit of a pyromania streak. She's an alchemist of sorts, but that's usually just an excuse to make things explode.

Finally, Melanie is a peg knight from about halfway through the game. One look at her tells you pretty much everything about her.

PoorlyWrittenNovel posted:

Nothing can happen at all, no A prompt, start does nothng.

Accidentally Loaded Lowen over Oswin

Can't load 5 units, game will break

Coding things can be silly (text is filler)

Like 3 things went wrong (textbox size, loaded Oswin over Lowen, yes/no prompt)

I enjoy making silly faces

ddinkins112 posted:

The tactician is always an important part of Fire Emblem
our support writer, ladies and gentlemen

As always, you can come hang out with us in the Awful Emblem IRC channel. We're going to do a balancing release once we have all of Act 1's gameplay set, then a full release once we have plot, supports, and everything else ready.

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #awfulemblem

Artix fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 3, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
In all fairness, dinkins is pretty good when he isn't channeling the spirit of Ballz. I have to edit his stuff and I only yell at him sometimes.

e: I'm sorry Ballz!!. :negative:

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 3, 2014

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

In all fairness, dinkins is pretty good when he isn't channeling the spirit of Ballz. I have to edit his stuff and I only yell at him sometimes.

I'll have you know that his name is Ballz!!. The exclamation marks are mandatory, something you'd understand if you stopped yelling at me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ddinkins112 posted:

I'll have you know that his name is Ballz!!. The exclamation marks are mandatory, something you'd understand if you stopped yelling at me

It's good to see that, even at this early stage, we're looking at a rich and diverse setting, filled with deep themes and fleshed out cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

chiasaur11 posted:

It's good to see that, even at this early stage, we're looking at a rich and diverse setting, filled with deep themes and fleshed out cultures.

And the rich colors! I call this one "A Rainy Night in Falnor".