Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JackMann posted:

Scale Creep's your friend there.

I know Olympian Games and Darkling Games both used to sell Coat D'Arms in Australia, but the former appears out of business, and I don't see any info about it on the latter's website. Pity, that.

Sweet, thanks! I can get chestnut ink again if mine dries up (it's somehow lasted since 2002).

Side thing: I stopped into a GW store today (the one in Orland Park, IL) on my lunch break and got some washes. I was expecting the clerk to be some goony redshirt like I was used to seeing, but he was pretty chill and didn't ask much other than what army I was painting. I was surprised at how small the store was too. Really wish there was FLGS in the area though, I don't think I'd play there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I want to like the GW paints, but this poo poo keeps happening to me as well. I opened my Foundation yellow the other day and it was a gummy mess. Hopefully some water will take care of that.

Regarding paints, does anyone have any advice on how to keep the paint in the tips of the Vallejo bottles from gooping up? Even if I store mine upright, they get gloppy and I wind up shooting a huge amount of paint out when the clog clears.

Also, any advice on storing paints? I have a case that is pretty nice and holds my Vallejo bottles well, but it's made to sit upright with the paints on their sides, which I think is not helping with the previously mentioned clogging issues. Ideally, I'd like something that holds both GW size and Vallejo sized bottles upright, and is easily moved (so no Paintier racks or anything like that.)

According to Vallejo, you should store dropper bottles point down. When ready to paint with them, instead of shaking them, you should roll them horizontally.

I've been doing this with my dropper bottles, since learning it, and it has helped avoid that burst of paint.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Any suggestions for water effects?
Making some swamp bases and after recommendations for decent easy to use water effects to make shallow swampy pools.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Serotonin posted:

Making some swamp bases and after recommendations for decent easy to use water effects to make shallow swampy pools.

A couple layers of ink and then a thin layer of clear resin or Mod Podge or something? You can alternate ink and clear layers for more (apparent) depth.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Serotonin posted:

I like Woodland Scenics. Their realistic water is good for calm stuff and there's a water effects one for whitewater.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/c1211/page/1

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I've done a lot of casting and mould making recently, is anyone interested in a tutorial?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I made a visual tutorial of sorts for painting, rust, and Chipping effects on a barricade. This could work on anything however, vehicles, armor etc. so I figured Id share it with you all.

Tools / Products Used:
Airbrush (not required but recommended)
Cheap paintbrushes (I used 3 total but you could use just one)
Matte Medium
Rock Salt w/ grinder
Vallejo Surface Primer - German Red Brown 73.605
Vallejo Model Air - Ochre 71.033
Vallejo Game Color - Gunmetal 72.054
Mig - Standard Rust Effects

1) Prime object with German Red Brown

2) Apply spots of Matte Medium, thick is fine, in fact when it dries it helps to add texture to the rust effect. This was experimental in that I had not see anyone else try to use matte medium for this effect, its usually suggested that people use hairspray. Matte medium is cheap and can be purchased in large quantities. While the matte medium is still wet apply ground rock salt over it, you want varied sizes and amount, some of it will fall off and that's fine.

3) I let it dry a while then tapped off the extra salt, and used my airbrush to blow away some excess. Then I applied a decent coat of Ochre, I didn't want it too heavy, some modularity is good for the visual effect.

4) Then apply water to all of the areas with salt, and let it sit a minute or so.

5) I then used an old stiff toothbrush and worked all the salt off the part, some spots got a little too much work and the raw plastic peeked through. This isn't an issue though and I will cover that in a moment.

6) Once it was completely dry I took an old stiff brush and some VGC Gunmetal and applied it to all areas that the plastic was showing through the primer, this was mainly at the hardest edges, I allowed it to go on fairly thick.

7) After that I applied a moderate amount of black wash and let it fully dry.

8) Finally I used the Mig Standard Rust Effect and applied it over the "rusted" spots. this was just a matter of dipping an old brush in the fluid and touching it to the areas I wanted it.

As you can see the rust looks pretty textured and has dimension to it thanks to the matte medium.

I personally think it turned out pretty well and this was my first real attempt to apply this degree of weathering.

Thoughts?

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 13, 2014

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I'm looking for a decent lasercut wood/mdf painting station yet most of the things I'm turning up with google searches are both far too expensive and shipped from Europe. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a webstore in the US that's good for that sort of thing?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Devlan Mud posted:

So I'm looking for a decent lasercut wood/mdf painting station yet most of the things I'm turning up with google searches are both far too expensive and shipped from Europe. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a webstore in the US that's good for that sort of thing?

There are not ~any~ One of the reasons I have been musing about getting mine set up.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LumberingTroll posted:

There are not ~any~ One of the reasons I have been musing about getting mine set up.

That's kind of what I was afraid of, which is a shame, because I've got a relatively small apartment, and if I could consolidate my hobby area into a workstation, I could end up having a lot more room by changing furniture. I just don't want to spend close to 100 dollars all told to do that.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Pilgrimski posted:

I like Woodland Scenics. Their realistic water is good for calm stuff and there's a water effects one for whitewater.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/c1211/page/1

Out of curiosity, what did you do to get that stone texture? I mean it looks like a (really smooth!) base coat of grey, and then a light white drybrushing? It just really makes the detail "pop" while still being kind of stylized.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

The rust effect looks very...splattered. As if someone had opened up MS paint and used the airbrush tool. This is mostly in the smaller areas. They just seem a bit too 'rounded' (for lack of a better term).

I've done this technique using hairspray to decent effect. If you don't want the previous layer to rub down and expose the plastic, hit it with a coat or two of varnish; matte should do, but if you're doing it heavily I'd go for gloss instead.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pilgrimski posted:

I've done a lot of casting and mould making recently, is anyone interested in a tutorial?

Yes! I was looking into it this week. I'd be all over it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I haven't sculpted or painted much real miniatures stuff in a while, and I haven't played a nerd game in for loving ever, but I'm going to restart both. Here's something I sculpted for Zoofights VI:

Yessssss Murducken :black101:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Anyone with recommendations on a ultrasonic cleaner for stripping models?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yessssss Murducken :black101:

Not gonna lie. I'd pay good money for zoofights miniatures.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Serotonin posted:

I'm also interested in water effects suggestions.

The problem I'm having with them is that they won't seem to set worth a drat for me. I'm talking weeks of "touch it and you'll see your finger print in it". I have one base that took months to dry to the point that I could handle it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Another squad finished!

Only 24 to go!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Tequila Ranger posted:

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...rasonic+cleaner and it works well enough. With a small size jewelry cleaner like this even the nicest ones won't be doing the stripping work for you really; you can't just throw a model into it and have it come out clean. You still need to Super Clean/Simple Green soak the models for a while to break down the paint. The ultrasonic cleaner helps loosen the paint out of the crevices (and also break up glue bonds) and after 3 cycles or so (the cleaner only runs for 3 minutes at a time) you can basically rinse 90% of the paint off with water and scrub the rest off pretty easily. It can hold about 10 space marine models total, the biggest vehicle that could fit in it would probably be a Piranha...maybe. Also you can clean your airbrushes in it which is incredibly useful, you'd be surprised just how dirty your airbrushes are even if you take really good care of them.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pacheeco posted:

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...rasonic+cleaner and it works well enough. With a small size jewelry cleaner like this even the nicest ones won't be doing the stripping work for you really; you can't just throw a model into it and have it come out clean. You still need to Super Clean/Simple Green soak the models for a while to break down the paint. The ultrasonic cleaner helps loosen the paint out of the crevices (and also break up glue bonds) and after 3 cycles or so (the cleaner only runs for 3 minutes at a time) you can basically rinse 90% of the paint off with water and scrub the rest off pretty easily. It can hold about 10 space marine models total, the biggest vehicle that could fit in it would probably be a Piranha...maybe. Also you can clean your airbrushes in it which is incredibly useful, you'd be surprised just how dirty your airbrushes are even if you take really good care of them.

my buddy picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from an industrial used electronic lab equipment store. It fits a large handgun and is about 6 inches deep. Got it fairly cheap too.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Serotonin posted:

Go buy a box of Envirotex Lite. You'll get a ton of product for cheap that works great for water effects. I just dab in paint drops to colour it whatever shade I wanted before pouring.

Pardon the dust.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

LingcodKilla posted:

my buddy picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from an industrial used electronic lab equipment store. It fits a large handgun and is about 6 inches deep. Got it fairly cheap too.

What a strange metric to use. Americans are weird.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah, seriously, when will the US stop using Imperial units?

With a bit of leave, I have a four day weekend this weekend. I am going to try to get my Kharibdyss finished.. I have two severed heads and four lizardman skinks to paint up, plus a bunch of basing to do. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm planning to use to give it a nice jungle vibe, so hopefully it'll look as good as I'm hoping.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Big Willy Style posted:

Desert Eagle large or M1911 large? The plastic army man painters must know!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah man get on this so you can take my money!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Got some test pics of the big ole dragon.

Trying to find a good bone recipe. Coming up with nothing so far, I hate painting whites though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah man get on this so you can take my money!

I really would like to, its a matter of time right now. Most of mine is spent at the studio getting this game done. That and its been below zero for the past few months so I haven't wanted to go out to my garage to mess with my laser cutter.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tequila Ranger posted:

I have this one from Harbor Freight (though I don't remember it being that expensive.) Obviously, use a coupon to get it cheaper.

As previously stated, it isn't going to strip your models magically. It's helpful as an additional tool, but a good two- or more day soak in Super Clean is going to be the best way to strip paint.

Now, on the flip side, I had primed and painted some models, and I didn't like the way they were coming out as I was painting them. I soaked them for 30 minutes in Super Clean and did a 5 minute hot bath of Simple Green in the cleaner, and the paint and primer came right off when I used a brush on it (yes, you will still have to scrub.) Obviously, the newness of the priming was a huge factor, but I do believe that the cleaner was able to loosen things up a bit more.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
When using the sonic cleaner, do you use Simple Green in the machine or water? Will Simple Green tarnish or harm the bath?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone had any experience with using GW's Agrellan Earth technical paint on models? My thought is that the cracked effect might look really cool on a Circle of Orboros Wold (Stone Construct), to give an aged/cracked look to it, but I'm not sure if it's meant to be painted over.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

When using the sonic cleaner, do you use Simple Green in the machine or water? Will Simple Green tarnish or harm the bath?

I've got Simple Green in there right now, with seemingly no ill effects. I don't know if water would do the same thing, but I figured SG wouldn't cause any harm to the unit and might help with the stripping process.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SRM posted:

This old Tigurius model took me a while to paint. There's a lot of detail on this old fig, and I honestly like him a lot more than the current sculpt. The robes were really fun to paint, even if it was just blocks of yellow and orange wash. I probably should have left the backpack off, since it made painting the Ultramarines icon kind of difficult, so it's a little wonky looking. Other than that I'm pretty happy with him!

You used yellow instead of gold paint. It's a little gaudy to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

Got some test pics of the big ole dragon.

Trying to find a good bone recipe. Coming up with nothing so far, I hate painting whites though.

Squeeeeee! Or similar.

Looking great thus far.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

I soak my models in some Super Clean in tupperware for a while before I run them through the ultrasonic cleaner and then I just use water usually. I've put Super Clean in the cleaner and left Windex in it for like a week straight and there didn't seem to be any tarnishing. The "tub" is usually made of stainless steel if I'm not mistaken.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Baron Bifford posted:

You used yellow instead of gold paint. It's a little gaudy to me.

Let me tell you about a time.

A simpler time.

A more colorful time.

Some may even say a better time.

It was the 1990s. 40k was in its second edition. That's the aesthetic I'm trying to capture with my Ultramarines.

It's gaudy and colorful and like a saturday morning cartoon and I love the hell out of it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

SRM posted:

A simpler time.

A more colorful time.

I think I have most of those models upstairs, from my teenage years...

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

gilljoy posted:

Its very good stuff though I've noticed with a lot of GW paints mine are becoming a gloopy mess in the bottle.

My ceramite white looks like this, pretty much separated into a solid mass with some liquidy stuff left, same thing happned with my yellow.

Is this fixable? I've switched to using grey undercoat and Reaper white but I still have an almost full bottle of ceramite w/ the black and white gloop. It's weird how the paint is white but when it separates it's an oilslick in there.

SRM posted:

(awesome space marines)

It's gaudy and colorful and like a saturday morning cartoon and I love the hell out of it.

Any tips to painting in this style? These are really awesome and I definitely like it better than the ultra gritty style.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Those 90s-style warhams pictures are making me nostalgia like gently caress, it's great.

Where are the paper back banners though?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Verdugo posted:

Is this fixable? I've switched to using grey undercoat and Reaper white but I still have an almost full bottle of ceramite w/ the black and white gloop. It's weird how the paint is white but when it separates it's an oilslick in there.

You can stir it up really well and it's fine, but it'll separate again. At a certain point if you let it goop up too much it may be unrecoverable though. It's not fixable in the sense of getting it to stop doing that, as far as I know. It's just a problem with their formula (and several other companies formulas as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SRM posted:

GAAAAH!!

Well, I certainly can't fault your technical skills. You are pretty darn handy with a brush.

• Locked thread