Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008

OAquinas posted:

I don't think he was saying that steroid use was not harmful, but rather that it was the more-likely harmful condition for young males than eating disorders...though these days I wonder if that's still the case.

He was just saying that he only ever saw PSAs about how bad steroids are, but never any PSAs about how bad eating disorders are, even though eating disorders are just as dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
Just saw this posted on facebook:

quote:

Colic a good reason for abortion?!? So now we justify abortion because babies cry, and ‪#‎aintnobodygottimeforthat‬ ? http://t.co/OTb2iXS8IQ

Democrat Legislator: A Colic, Crying Baby is a Good Reason for an Abortion
lifenews.com
The Iowa House of Representatives passed a bill recently to ban telemed abortions -- abortions...

Babbys should be aborted because they CRY?! :supaburn:

Badera fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 13, 2014

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If I heard something crying out of my vagina for three days at a time I might want to get it out of there as well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

namesake posted:

If I heard something crying out of my vagina for three days at a time I might want to get it out of there as well.

Banshees? In my vagina?

It's more common than you think.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

It had a revival a few years ago but it's probably not surging right now. I mean frankly it's more talking about a broader social problem than just He-Man and thinking it's just about He-Man is being kind of obtuse. The author probably just picked a figure from their childhood. But Boys ARE given these role models who are buff and teach that you should solve problems with fighting rather than talking. Whether it's He-Man, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, whatever the problem is still the same. Interestingly, similar to the Barbie problem girls have, look at Star Wars action figures from the 70s, theyre often a lot more waifish, whereas today theyre significantly more buff, even the same character will have put on some muscle in the past few decades.

I mean what we SHOULD take away from that image is "yeah both sexes are being given poor role models", even if that's not what the author intended.

Turtles taught me to solve problems by eating pizza and dancing with a boombox so I don't see the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFDtbk2teE

:colbert:

Who What Now posted:

Banshees? In my vagina?

It's more common than you think.

:ohdear: I can't miss this special report from my local news station.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Badera posted:

Just saw this posted on facebook:

Babbys should be aborted because they CRY?! :supaburn:

“I want to let you know that we as women know about babies. We love them. We adore them. But we also know that they have the challenges they bring. They have colic, the sleepless nights, the finances, the disciplinary challenges, the education challenges, the birth defects, the mental health issues, the learning disabled…the list goes on and on. And what women do know is that we know where our limits are. We absolutely know where our limits are –whether we’re ready, whether we’re physically ready, whether we’re emotionally ready, whether we’re financially ready to be parents– And we have the right to make those decisions.

The right to make personal decisions without the government deciding for you = COMMUNISM, because sluts :tizzy:

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

pd187 posted:

“I want to let you know that we as women know about babies. We love them. We adore them. But we also know that they have the challenges they bring. They have colic, the sleepless nights, the finances, the disciplinary challenges, the education challenges, the birth defects, the mental health issues, the learning disabled…the list goes on and on. And what women do know is that we know where our limits are. We absolutely know where our limits are –whether we’re ready, whether we’re physically ready, whether we’re emotionally ready, whether we’re financially ready to be parents– And we have the right to make those decisions.

The right to make personal decisions without the government deciding for you = COMMUNISM, because sluts :tizzy:

Same guy posted this:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just got out of a meeting at work about the various kinds of credit fraud to be on the lookout for, and a substantial portion of it was related to sovereign citizens and the various fake legalese they use to try to get out of paying their debts. As soon as the presenter used the phrase 'maritime law' I almost started laughing.

Thanks, thread.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Badera posted:

Same guy posted this:

Yeah we often forget that in countries with easy access to contraception the status of women in society declines substantially. Those poor meat socks.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If only they would give those poor nuns some kind of easy out... say signing some easily obtainable short disclosure that says they don't want to pay for birth control, and then they won't. Come on Obama. Easy solution.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Yawgmoft posted:

If only they would give those poor nuns some kind of easy out... say signing some easily obtainable short disclosure that says they don't want to pay for birth control, and then they won't. Come on Obama. Easy solution.

Ah, but they would then be making others provide contraceptives! :monocle:

quote:

The form has two pages, not one, and it’s the language on the other page to which the nuns object. Page 2 declares that the form is the “instrument” that triggers the requirement that a third-party administrator provide contraceptive coverage. The nuns don’t want to take any action that (they believe) involves them in facilitating immoral acts, which includes causing other people to perform immoral acts. Signing the form would (in their view) do that. Note, by the way, that houses of worship, which are truly exempt from the administration’s contraceptive mandate, do not have to sign any such form to get that exemption. That fact makes a hash both of Greenhouse’s claim that the Little Sisters of the Poor are “exempt from the mandate” and her (and the administration’s) claim that certification is the only way to prevent the exemption process from sliding into “chaos.”

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Badera posted:

Same guy posted this:

As opposed to the good old days when they were viewed as heir factories.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Now that I know babies cry, I have lost all interest in fatherhood. Thanks for killing that dream, thread :mad:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Obviously you are correct, but there are followup questions. What does a female power fantasy look like? Or a female sex fantasy?

The difference between the two is literally a costume change.

He doesn't even change his hair. I think even Superman managed that.

He-Man's magic takes his clothing and puts it on his gigantic cat. That is all it does.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Has this image come up in the thread before? An acquaintance posted it on facebook and it makes me mad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I know what you're getting at but this feels like one of those instances where a diplomatic "Y'know, you're right, we should fix both these" would work instead of "man up you babies".

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Breadallelogram posted:

Has this image come up in the thread before? An acquaintance posted it on facebook and it makes me mad.

Change the bottom one to an old man with a walker.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pretty sure both the image and that response have come up before, but it's still funny.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pacerhimself posted:

I have fallen through a time warp to the last time this exact conversation occurred (though I can't find the edited version of the image).

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

pacerhimself posted:

This is correct seeing as people under the age of 50 tend to make up less than 25% of voters (depending on the election).

If they're supposed to be voting for a living, they're not doing it very well.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I commented with this, but it might not be good enough:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

pacerhimself posted:

Yes it has come up, and here's the usual response.

You can also point out that we spent vastly more on old people, in the form of Social Security and Medicare, than we do on working people, between SNAP, TANF, Section 8, WIC, and every other welfare program. Or that moochers living off the system are vanishingly rare. The majority of improper payments are bureaucratic errors, either eligibility/entitlement or documentation. Of the remaining actual fraud, the majority is committed by service providers, like hospitals claiming for unnecessary procedures or grocery stores buying food stamps for cash. Of fraud committed by beneficiaries, the majority is people claiming to work less than they are. And finally, as much as the other person will complain about how welfare favors black folks and Mexicans, people choosing not to work are the only group that welfare actually screws over.

Plus that image is slightly racist; its depiction of "dude who votes for a living" appears to be young, black, urban, rather than the more common old, white, rural.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

pacerhimself posted:

Change the bottom one to a guy in a top hat handing a Congressman a bag of money.
Far more accurate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah but the type of people who would post that image macro are also generally on board with the idea of shooting government officials so you'd just be reinforcing their point.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
ETA: ^^ That too. They'd blame the Congressman at least as much as Uncle Pennybags. ^^

Zemyla posted:

Far more accurate.

More accurate, but harder to argue. You have to go through the realities of corporate lobbying, the fact that tax breaks are still welfare spending, and the fact that the rich don't really earn their wealth.

Alternatively, you can explain that a) we spend a fuckuva lot on old people compared to young and working people, and b) old people vote more than young people. Actually you can probably just use that last article on its own, because that's the argument in a nutshell.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The Crotch posted:

I have fallen through a time warp to the last time this exact conversation occurred (though I can't find the edited version of the image).

That was my first thought too. :allears:

That said, the D&D Pictures thread took a different tack about a year ago:

I'm a fan.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It had a revival a few years ago but it's probably not surging right now. I mean frankly it's more talking about a broader social problem than just He-Man and thinking it's just about He-Man is being kind of obtuse. The author probably just picked a figure from their childhood. But Boys ARE given these role models who are buff and teach that you should solve problems with fighting rather than talking. Whether it's He-Man, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, whatever the problem is still the same. Interestingly, similar to the Barbie problem girls have, look at Star Wars action figures from the 70s, theyre often a lot more waifish, whereas today theyre significantly more buff, even the same character will have put on some muscle in the past few decades.

I mean what we SHOULD take away from that image is "yeah both sexes are being given poor role models", even if that's not what the author intended.

I think another subtle difference between media aimed at boys and girls is that, for the most part, boy's cartoons/games/toys can also draw in a female audience- think of how many women play video games or read superhero comics, despite how obviously slanted the marketing is in favor of the male demographics. Meanwhile, the attitude toward the inverse is that is would be exceedingly odd for a boy to show interest in media aimed specifically at girls. (Plenty of parents probably took their young girls and boys alike to see TMNT, but probably fewer parents of just boys took them to see, say, the Little Mermaid.)

I don't know if Barbie is still as blatantly sexist as the comical 1950's (doesn't she get to be a doctor and an astronaut and all kinds of stuff now at least?) but I don't think it's as simple add the toys make bad role models. I think the weird way marketing handles girls as some weird other species encourages boys to adopt a zero sum outlook, hence the active raging resentment some seem to show women who get into comics etc. ("fake nerds")

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just can't stop giggling at "THIS IS HE-MAN" being read in a full voiced shout apropos of nothing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lemma posted:

I think another subtle difference between media aimed at boys and girls is that, for the most part, boy's cartoons/games/toys can also draw in a female audience- think of how many women play video games or read superhero comics, despite how obviously slanted the marketing is in favor of the male demographics. Meanwhile, the attitude toward the inverse is that is would be exceedingly odd for a boy to show interest in media aimed specifically at girls. (Plenty of parents probably took their young girls and boys alike to see TMNT, but probably fewer parents of just boys took them to see, say, the Little Mermaid.)

The problem with that, though, is that some studio executives don't even want girls in the audience for cartoons directed at boys. As that quote says, part of why the cartoon Young Justice was cancelled was that the audience started to skew too far towards girls, and rather than start marketing toys for that segment of the audience as the executives thought they'd have to (even though, as you say, toys directed towards boys can still draw a female audience), they figured it was better to scrap it entirely.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

These popped up on my facebook.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

Hahaha wow, a toy set that teaches spatial reasoning and self reliance? Holy poo poo, my toys were just good for mock-fighting each other.

I get what they're going for, but saying he-man toys somehow teach boys critical life skills is loving dumb.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sentientcarbon posted:

Hahaha wow, a toy set that teaches spatial reasoning and self reliance? Holy poo poo, my toys were just good for mock-fighting each other.

I get what they're going for, but saying he-man toys somehow teach boys critical life skills is loving dumb.

They're talking about stuff like legos for the spatial reasoning thing. Being a super awesome muscle man that murders the bad guys is self-reliance though.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

TGLT posted:

They're talking about stuff like legos for the spatial reasoning thing. Being a super awesome muscle man that murders the bad guys is self-reliance though.

Or as the brilliant Zach Weinersmith put it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A response to a comment I made on Media Matters post on Facebook:

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

I commented with this, but it might not be good enough:

I don't think this is a good argument because it's by percent and not actual population.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TGLT posted:

Watch out, that girl is going to grow up to be an architect.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I can only hope that one of my daughters wants to build :catdrugs: lego buildings with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TGLT posted:

The kind of self-reliance that's actively detrimental to one's success as a member of society, perhaps.

I'm a little skeptical of the extent to which such messages are internalized, but teaching boys that physical violence is what solves conflicts probably isn't doing them any favors.