Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My favorite Morrowind dwelling was the Ashlander Yurt mod. It gave you a Yurt item that you could drop to "unpack" your yurt wherever you wanted. You could then go inside and it had a bed and a bunch of chests, so you had your home and a place to stash loot with you all the time. A magic yurt.

Yurt yurt yurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Can someone who uses the Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul post their Morrowind.ini? Long story short, mine got overwritten by the default and I want to make sure everything is okay.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Here you go:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77543666/Morrowind.ini

There's a couple additional mods in there, but everything else should be the same.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I only have one complaint about MSGO: it's too dark at night (or in caves). I've tried both lightning settings and then finally disabled them but it seems the same regardless. I basically need a torch to explore caves, which is a problem since I was thinking of using Spears this time.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Elman posted:

I only have one complaint about MSGO: it's too dark at night (or in caves). I've tried both lightning settings and then finally disabled them but it seems the same regardless. I basically need a torch to explore caves, which is a problem since I was thinking of using Spears this time.

Why not skill into illusion enough to use night eye or light spells? Or use potions.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Enchant helm constant effect night eye

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think the unique finery mod adds a store in one of the vivec canal works that sells a pretty cheap constant effect 10-15 pt night eye belt.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Here you go:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77543666/Morrowind.ini

There's a couple additional mods in there, but everything else should be the same.

Awesome, thanks.

Last question: is there a hotkey mod that adds "take all" functionality like the later Fallout games and Skyrim? I really miss that. I found this but it causes me to crash whenever I hit the button.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Enchant helm constant effect night eye

Open menu, turn up gamma. CHIM is magic

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is there some reason why Wrye Mash isn't reading the esp load order within my save games correctly?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a hosed up mod setup so I can get back to playing my game but whenever I go to the save tab to see the how things were sorted before it just shows me the current load order.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Enter Char posted:

Why not skill into illusion enough to use night eye or light spells? Or use potions.

I'll do that if I have to, but if my lighting mods are disabled the game shouldn't look that dark. I did choose the dark setting at first cause i didn't, I just feel like changing the options isn't changing my lighting at all.

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 15, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I'm having some sort of strange issue with morrowind that I can't seem to put my finger on. I'm using MGSO and whenever I start up the game in fullscreen there's a border around it, and when I load a save or start a new game, the bar loads but then the screen just hangs. I can interact with the world and all, but the screen is frozen at the loading screen being full. It does work in windowed mode though, it seems. Any ideas?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My favorite Morrowind dwelling was the Ashlander Yurt mod. It gave you a Yurt item that you could drop to "unpack" your yurt wherever you wanted. You could then go inside and it had a bed and a bunch of chests, so you had your home and a place to stash loot with you all the time. A magic yurt.

Yurt yurt yurt.

Same.

The MGSO, increased starting run speed, and Ashlander Tent mods are my three cannot-play-without mods. That tent mod is just too awesome.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

I'm having some sort of strange issue with morrowind that I can't seem to put my finger on. I'm using MGSO and whenever I start up the game in fullscreen there's a border around it, and when I load a save or start a new game, the bar loads but then the screen just hangs. I can interact with the world and all, but the screen is frozen at the loading screen being full. It does work in windowed mode though, it seems. Any ideas?

Oh god I had that error for the longest time, it's a fairly common thing but I can't remember what I searched for to find the answer. I know a complete reinstall I did years later fixed it, but I think I did a fake borderless windowed thing.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Ugh. MGSO was so hard to get working the first time around. To say nothing of getting my mods working again. I can only hope there's another option.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Just MGSO is fairly painless these days? I've never had trouble with it at least. What was the problem?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I recall a lot of problems getting it to work right without crashing my game. I had to install it so many different times. I also remember having to do a lot of complicated tweaking and problem solving to get it all to work right.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Just got MGSO up and running for the first time, and boyhowdy did it hit performance harder than I expected. Trying to reconfigure now to see if I can't get some more acceptable framerates, but in the meantime is adding some of the recommended mods on top of it relatively painless? Or should I be sweating conflicts?

edit: I'm also poking around for a fix for the tribunal assassins showing up too early, so any good choices there would be appreciated.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 15, 2014

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I never played Morrowind when it was new, and got it as on Steam a while back. Had problems getting it to run smooth with the recommended mods and unistalled it.

How much of the 'Morrowing experience' would I be missing out on if I just played it through Morrowblivion?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
To me, part of the 'Morrowind Experience' is having a view distance of a few feet, but I'm weird like that.

Really though, Oblivion's UI is awful and especially bad for all the piles of text Morrowind uses. Another thing is Morrowind's dialog box system allows for clicking on key phrases in the text itself, as well as on the dialog options tree to the side. Makes things easier when someone has 20 dialog topics.

Morrowind also has a much more advanced equipment system, like say MMOs, where armor consists of a chestpiece, shoulders, pants, gloves, two rings, etc. Plus you can wear a full set of clothing with them, which includes robes that cover up the chest/pants you're wearing if you so wish. Oblivion can't really emulate that either.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like a view distance of 12, it is a good compromise between vanilla and ~~~ max graphics~~~~

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

Ugh. MGSO was so hard to get working the first time around. To say nothing of getting my mods working again. I can only hope there's another option.

You're going to love it now.

You basically run an exe and an easy to use configuration wizard asks you what options you want, with picture examples when necessary, and when you're done it just does everything for you.

It's actually weird how pain free it is compared to what you'd assume it would be.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dear god, Tamriel rebuilt is overwhelming. What's a good place to go as a brand new lvl1 character? I heard there's a half-finished Fighter's guild questline, would that be a good way to get started?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I like a view distance of 12, it is a good compromise between vanilla and ~~~ max graphics~~~~

Yeah, being able to see across the continent is cool and all but there was something special about the fog of war in Morrowind. The default distance is a little low admittedly, but the world was designed to make far apart places be relatively close to each other while seeming fairly far apart, and the fog of war was instrumental in providing that effect. It meant you could easily walk from one place to another, but without being able to see most places from other places.

Totally removing the fog and revealing the whole world at once is really cool on a technical level but I think it takes away from the charm of the game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Black Pants posted:

To me, part of the 'Morrowind Experience' is having a view distance of a few feet, but I'm weird like that.

I always felt that no-fog mods and stuff like that breaks my immersion by showing plainly how super tiny Morrowind actually.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Mod Organizer worked for Morrowind. :(

I also wish Telespheros' List/Empirical Morrowind still had working links. They were the GEMS of Morrowind.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 15, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, being able to see across the continent is cool and all but there was something special about the fog of war in Morrowind. The default distance is a little low admittedly, but the world was designed to make far apart places be relatively close to each other while seeming fairly far apart, and the fog of war was instrumental in providing that effect. It meant you could easily walk from one place to another, but without being able to see most places from other places.

Totally removing the fog and revealing the whole world at once is really cool on a technical level but I think it takes away from the charm of the game.

I thought it added charm as you were able to see Red Mountain and the ghost fence from almost any point on Vvardenfell, so now it was obvious that there was this centerpiece tying the whole island together.

I remember playing with vanilla view distances way back and when I finally had to go on the other side of the Ghost Fence I was like, "wow, what a trip!" and then looked at the map and saw I was actually only fifty feet away from Aldruhn :smith:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I wish Mod Organizer worked for Morrowind. :(

I also wish Telespheros' List/Empirical Morrowind still had working links. They were the GEMS of Morrowind.

You *can* get it to work kinda, but yeah it would be awesome.

http://mw.modhistory.com/
(search for any mods in either list here)

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I've been following the Modding guide and stopped right before I install the graphic extender. When I load up the game I am getting

quote:

One of the files that "BetterClothesForTB.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_1.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_5.
TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\pa\pa_dc_jot.NIF" tex not found "textures\pa\pa_dc_jot.dds"!

Any one have an idea what it is asking for?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Berke Negri posted:

I thought it added charm as you were able to see Red Mountain and the ghost fence from almost any point on Vvardenfell, so now it was obvious that there was this centerpiece tying the whole island together.

I remember playing with vanilla view distances way back and when I finally had to go on the other side of the Ghost Fence I was like, "wow, what a trip!" and then looked at the map and saw I was actually only fifty feet away from Aldruhn :smith:

I felt the same way about Arkngthand. It seemed like such a big journey to leave Balmora and travel all the way to the bridge in vanilla. Then I install MGE and it turns out it's just one hill over.

Fat_Cow posted:

So I've been following the Modding guide and stopped right before I install the graphic extender. When I load up the game I am getting

Any one have an idea what it is asking for?

IIRC, you can ignore those errors. It means that it can't find a specific node in the NIF files for placing those meshes on character models and a texture for a book. The only problems you should get from that is an NPC with invisible feet if they have those shoes equipped or a book that looks all white (assuming those objects are even in the game).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sometimes the game looses meshes and textures even though they are present in the .bsa files (I think no one knows the reason why). What you need to do is download some BSA unpacker and unpack those missing files from BSA files to your data folder. If you don't do that those shoes will look like a massive exclamation mark.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I felt the same way about Arkngthand. It seemed like such a big journey to leave Balmora and travel all the way to the bridge in vanilla. Then I install MGE and it turns out it's just one hill over.

And personally I like the dwemer ruins looming over the town. Plus with TR the game by no means feels "small" and it still takes like, probably a good half an hour or more to walk from one end of Vvardenfell to the other.

Though ultimately I understand this just comes down to taste. Those who played Morrowind a lot back in the day probably will appreciate the shorter view distance more while others like myself who got into it after playing Oblivion and Skyrim want to be able to see everything. I still appreciate a good morning fog effect or dust storm in the ashlands though.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there a mod to suppress those error messages so I don't have to deal with them on every start up?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

I never played Morrowind when it was new, and got it as on Steam a while back. Had problems getting it to run smooth with the recommended mods and unistalled it.

How much of the 'Morrowing experience' would I be missing out on if I just played it through Morrowblivion?

A lot of it. For starters, even though Oblivion's engine is technically superior, there's this weird rounded shininess to everything that I find makes it uglier than either enhanced Morrowind or Skyrim. But also you miss out on a bunch of systemic things (I gather they did manage to put back in levitation and teleportation, but there's still stuff they're not replicating) and of course all of the Morrowind mods, including Tamriel Rebuilt which is apparently pretty awesome.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Berke Negri posted:

And personally I like the dwemer ruins looming over the town. Plus with TR the game by no means feels "small" and it still takes like, probably a good half an hour or more to walk from one end of Vvardenfell to the other.

Though ultimately I understand this just comes down to taste. Those who played Morrowind a lot back in the day probably will appreciate the shorter view distance more while others like myself who got into it after playing Oblivion and Skyrim want to be able to see everything. I still appreciate a good morning fog effect or dust storm in the ashlands though.

It's a cool side effect, sure. It just mostly makes me feel bad that 14-year-old me couldn't even beat Snowy Granius. The most climactic epic journey ever of conquering an old foe now reduced to "just walk over there and strafe a couple times".

I also recently re-encountered the dramatic change around the Ahemmusa camp, which goes from a remote camp in the wilderness to a slum of Tel Vos with LOD on. Might be a few potential mod ideas in there somewhere.

Edit:

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there a mod to suppress those error messages so I don't have to deal with them on every start up?

You can fix it for some of them (like the ones you posted), but not for the vast majority. My installation decided that it can't find the enchantment for the Hair Shirt of St. Aralor for some reason and I need to click Yes every time I start. Some day I'll find out which mod causes it.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 15, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

malkav11 posted:

A lot of it. For starters, even though Oblivion's engine is technically superior, there's this weird rounded shininess to everything that I find makes it uglier than either enhanced Morrowind or Skyrim. But also you miss out on a bunch of systemic things (I gather they did manage to put back in levitation and teleportation, but there's still stuff they're not replicating) and of course all of the Morrowind mods, including Tamriel Rebuilt which is apparently pretty awesome.

You're going to have to spend as much time modding Morroblivion as Morrowind before you can get started playing, honestly. It comes down to preference but Morroblivion is kind of just a novelty playthrough in my opinion and in no way supersedes actual Morrowind.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Berke Negri posted:

One of my favorite experiences is to install the real-time boat travel mod and travel the coastlines on the Eastern side of Vvardenfell and just... look around. To the west is Vvardenfell, to the east the mainland. When you do that, the world feels big.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What mod is that? The real time boat travel one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Gyshall posted:

What mod is that? The real time boat travel one.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42270/ - boats
and http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42267/ - silt striders

Boats supports TR, has an addon for TR places, and river striders too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I don't care so much for the silt strider animation, but did anyone else get head tracking disabled with the boat mod? It drove me nuts that I had to disable it which socks because I like it a lot :(