Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And its not like Matt and Trey are terrible writers or anything, they may phone it when it comes to the show but this seems like a project that they really wanted to happen. They wanted Obsidian to make this game after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001

surc posted:

If you think the south park universe seems low-effort and just want obsidian to do everything on the game, you probably want this: http://eternity.obsidian.net/
Yes, I said a show intentionally made to look like cardboard cutouts happens to SEEM low effort. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Surprise you with mature themes (and blood and poop) with a crappy cartoon presentation?

quote:

I don't really get why people are surprised and/or disappointed at the idea of people who had a major beef with the way their IP was handled before with video games, and have said that any video game they made they would want complete control of (and who are writers), writing the game based on that IP themselves.
No beef, bro. But you realize they have a big writer's room helping them write all the funny jokes, right? There are some clips floating around of some workshopping being done for the Book of Mormon in a crowded room full of talented people.

This cult of celebrity where people want to attribute multimillion dollar efforts to one or two people is getting tiresome. You'd think Chris Avellone wrote Torment himself and that Warren Spector shat out Deus Ex over a weekend.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

general chaos posted:

No beef, bro. But you realize they have a big writer's room helping them write all the funny jokes, right? There are some clips floating around of some workshopping being done for the Book of Mormon in a crowded room full of talented people.

This cult of celebrity where people want to attribute multimillion dollar efforts to one or two people is getting tiresome. You'd think Chris Avellone wrote Torment himself and that Warren Spector shat out Deus Ex over a weekend.

This is a strangely Ayn-Rand-villain-esque complaint; Matt and Trey would love it.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This is a strangely Ayn-Rand-villain-esque complaint; Matt and Trey would love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j56IiLqZ9U

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

general chaos posted:

Yes, I said a show intentionally made to look like cardboard cutouts happens to SEEM low effort. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Surprise you with mature themes (and blood and poop) with a crappy cartoon presentation?

Normally you're right but South Park's continued success really is in large part due to Matt & Trey. They are still incredibly involved with it and do a lot of the work themselves.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Dunban posted:

They are still incredibly involved with it and do a lot of the work themselves.

general chaos posted:

Where did I say anything that would disagree with that statement?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Perhaps the STICK OF truth is somewhere in the middle?

:dance:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The closer Matt & Trey are to the writing, the better. Silent protagonists are way better than Bioware-esque Sassy Meathead Protagonists that say stupid poo poo for you, and as good as Obsidian is, their writing team couldn't make South Park 'better', just less like South Park.

I find some of the opinions in this thread really weird, I guess, because South Park is so much Matt & Trey's thing that you should probably just loving trust them to make the game they want to make, and accept that it's probably the only way you could get a good game out of South Park, if there is one to be made. If you're not a fan of the show, I get it, but if you watch it very little of these pre-release criticisms make any loving sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This game is going to be amazing. If you are a fan, doubly so.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

general chaos posted:

But... this has nothing to do with the writing?

Also, going with the design side of your point, Obsidian is getting animations from south park studios to ensure that they really maintain the look. It's been stated by pretty much everybody involved (and I'm pretty sure discussed in the thread) that they want somebody who just walks through the room while you're playing the game to think you're watching a new episode of south park. I don't really know why they would want Obsidian to make things less like that after both Matt & Trey, and people from Obsidian, have stated they don't want to.

general chaos posted:

They're being credited as the writers for the game. This generally means they are the writers for the game. I don't think they're going to be writing it in a vacuum, and I would not be super surprised if other people had input on the script, but unless there's some intentional obfuscation about it, it's hard to find a better way of determining who's writing something than the credits.

general chaos posted:

Ok.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Duh they have writers they work with. That doesn't mean it isn't their loving show or I don't know their legacy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like that your super power is the ability to make friends.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I suspect Obsidian came up with a general story arc and M&T handled the details, like "let's make the Elf camp a lovely kid's camp in a backyard" and all that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I suspect that the final battle will come down to unleashing a God-Fart directly into Saddam Hussein's mouth, and if you don't like farts, it may not work out so good for you. Cartman may even threaten to kick yew in the nuts.

Prrbtbbt

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Eurogamer released a bit of a preview thing and they speak pretty highly of the game and address some of the concerns people have been having in this thread.

Getting really excited now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like that your super power is the ability to make friends.
It's pretty reflective of real life. You gotta hone that poo poo while your young.

The game is going to be cool, I kind of miss the days where the protagonist said nothing and the characters just projected their will onto you.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Lots of previews coming out now.

Also, check out the first 15 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMh2nXPibtQ

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The first 13 minutes of the game.

E: Nuts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wish the transitions between gameplay and cutscenes were smoother. That split second of blackness sort of comrpimises the 'playing an episode' feel.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Preview is awesome.

I thought Amazon was sold out of the Grand Wizard Edition for the 360 but it's showing in-stock at the moment, so I went ahead and paid an extra 20 dollars for a Cartman figure and cloth map.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Furism posted:

I suspect Obsidian came up with a general story arc and M&T handled the details, like "let's make the Elf camp a lovely kid's camp in a backyard" and all that.

Writing individual scenes and being able to give them a specific purpose and arrange them so they work towards a longer somewhat non-linear interactive are completely different skills.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve2911 posted:

Wish the transitions between gameplay and cutscenes were smoother. That split second of blackness sort of comrpimises the 'playing an episode' feel.

I noticed that too. It doesn't seem like it'd be annoying or anything, though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jew class confirmed! This might be a good'un, just might be, don't let us down Obsidian!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I love how your character's name has to be "Douchebag" so they can call you by name in the dialogues :)

Vitamin P posted:

Writing individual scenes and being able to give them a specific purpose and arrange them so they work towards a longer somewhat non-linear interactive are completely different skills.

I think that's what I said. Obsidian probably did what they're good at, which is to make a RPG story, and M&T did what they're good at, which is to make that silly and South Park-y.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Furism posted:

I love how your character's name has to be "Douchebag" so they can call you by name in the dialogues :)

I think that's what I said. Obsidian probably did what they're good at, which is to make a RPG story, and M&T did what they're good at, which is to make that silly and South Park-y.

Yeah I was reiterating, I agree.

I'd love it if playing as Jew had long term repercussions with the Cartman sect.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Leinadi posted:

Lots of previews coming out now.

Also, check out the first 15 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMh2nXPibtQ

Did they change the release date? That video says the 7th, but steam says the 4th?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
It's the 4th in the US, the 6th in Europe and the 7th in Australia I think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Did they change the release date? That video says the 7th, but steam says the 4th?

Probably the usual difference between the US and EU.

Edit: Beaten.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah I was reiterating, I agree.

I'd love it if playing as Jew had long term repercussions with the Cartman sect.

I hope the Jew class has a passive like the merchant job ability in bravely default that gives you more gold after battles.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Something about South Park awakens my inner manchild. Loved every moment of that preview.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah this looks awesome.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That looks like a great battle system. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to get over my intense dislike of South Park to play it, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sector_corrector posted:

That looks like a great battle system. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to get over my intense dislike of South Park to play it, though.

Scientologist spotted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sector_corrector posted:

Are you a fan of alien probes and abortions? Because the Australians aren't.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you a fan of alien probes and abortions? Because the Australians aren't.

This is loving fantastic. A crying koala?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm still not quite getting why there are people who hate South Park but are following this game's development and this thread really closely. They watch every video, read press releases and early preview articles, then go on to say "well I just don't like South Park so I don't know if I'll be getting this".

Do they just feel compelled to play every single game that Obsidian releases because it's Obsidian? Most of the appeal of this game is going to be because it's South Park, and fans of the show will like it because it captures the feeling and humor of the show. It being made by a company with a good track record is just a nice bonus. I happen to like Obsidian, and South Park (and Trey Parker and Matt Stone in general), so I'm definitely looking forward to this game. But if you're not don't just force yourself to get it and play it for nebulous reasons because "gameplay" or "it's Obsidian".

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

King Vidiot posted:

I'm still not quite getting why there are people who hate South Park but are following this game's development and this thread really closely. They watch every video, read press releases and early preview articles, then go on to say "well I just don't like South Park so I don't know if I'll be getting this".

Do they just feel compelled to play every single game that Obsidian releases because it's Obsidian? Most of the appeal of this game is going to be because it's South Park, and fans of the show will like it because it captures the feeling and humor of the show. It being made by a company with a good track record is just a nice bonus. I happen to like Obsidian, and South Park (and Trey Parker and Matt Stone in general), so I'm definitely looking forward to this game. But if you're not don't just force yourself to get it and play it for nebulous reasons because "gameplay" or "it's Obsidian".

Obsidian is responsible for one of my favorite games ever, New Vegas, and I also like the Mario RPGs (which is one of the influences of the battle system). I mean... why play a game if not for the gameplay?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

I have this question about lots of things on the internet. People seem to really like telling everyone just how little they enjoy whatever is being discussed, how they were never into it, and how they hope it somehow works out but they just don't get all the hype. It's a sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It looks like it'd be good for chill multiplayer. But I guess that goes for every turn based game as opposed to action based games.

Maybe this will finally be the thing to get my GIRLFRIEND playing fun video games with me.

• Locked thread