Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The first Battride War was quite fun, playing as the different Riders really felt like them. I never got around to beating it, but I enjoyed it enough to go in for the limited edition this time. While I couldn't read any of it, I'm pretty sure that the story isn't anything substantial enough for it to matter at all. The Battride War games aren't by Koei, though, so you can't judge how good this will be by comparing it to the Dynasty Warriors licensed spinoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
Also still really need to finish it, but I'd say I finished about half of it if not two thirds? Either way unlocked all the riders, and they did a great job of giving variety to how they play for having 18 playable Riders. Even smaller details like some of the riders having slower bikes (Ryuki is a loving tank, and moves as slow as one. Beast uses Falco to fly around and it looks so stupidly charming.) really add.

It does have very Decade like spoilers for everything, in you'll have a sorta reenactment fight with an antagonist for that rider in their mission chain, some of them late game final boss stuff like Kuuga, and on the other end you have Phoenix you get to fight. There is assorted other callbacks to their stories so anything you want to go spoiler free I'd worry about. It's all pretty satisfying, though my favorite thing is still to mow down Shocker goons and enjoy the cute little explosions when you kill them (each of the low level monsters have their own way of poofing, some better then others. Yummys bursting into coins is also high on my list)

My Japanese needs loooots of work, and I was mostly just enjoying my first time and saving trying to actually understand for another time. But I did read up a summery of the main beats, and overall plot is light, and does not at all tie into the plot for 2 from the looks of it. It's really more about the nostalgia and having fun playing as the various Riders. The gameplay is not that complex in combos, but they manage to hit a lot of key points? Den-o for example you unlock a form with each stage, and by the end you can switch between them freely. Some do work against certain mooks better then others, mostly with crowd control depending on the makeup of the crowd.

I grabbed the Sound Edition for the first one, and am glad I did with how much I like KR songs. It was around twenty bucks or so more, making a luxury treat even more costly, but with how much I loved when the songs kicked in while fighting I was willing. I likely will do the same this time, wallet willing.

...And now I think I'm gonna play some, because wow I forgot just how fun a game this was.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The Battride War games aren't by Koei, though, so you can't judge how good this will be by comparing it to the Dynasty Warriors licensed spinoffs.
Whoa, no kidding? I had no idea. I thought they were the only ones to do Musou-style games. Good to know, thanks. And thanks for the reviews, both of you. I was ready to skip it altogether and wait for 2, but since it's not prohibitively expensive on eBay, I may pick it up sooner and try it out. I'll definitely try for the TV sound one though, Riders aren't the same without their music.

More gamechat, but I heard the/some Showa riders were DLC? Is that still the case? Or is it 18 Riders before any DLC, if there was any?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

More gamechat, but I heard the/some Showa riders were DLC? Is that still the case? Or is it 18 Riders before any DLC, if there was any?

I believe the only DLC in the game are Wizard Infinity (who is really boring and doesn't even have the Shining Strike) and Beast Hyper (who actually reverts back to Beast Falco Mantle for bike action). No Showa Rider is playable.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The Showa Riders being DLC was just rumour or speculation, they're not included at all. The only DLC is Wizard Infinity and Beast Hyper, both free and separate characters from their normal versions since when the game was being developed they hadn't been revealed. The original includes all the Heisei main Riders plus Accel, Birth, Meteor and Beast.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wizard Infinity is also just kind of a win button that combos the poo poo out of everything.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The Showa Riders being DLC was just rumour or speculation, they're not included at all. The only DLC is Wizard Infinity and Beast Hyper, both free and separate characters from their normal versions since when the game was being developed they hadn't been revealed. The original includes all the Heisei main Riders plus Accel, Birth, Meteor and Beast.

Ah, so that's where the extra four were coming from. That's a shame, maybe Showa will be around in 2, even if they aren't as flashy. Kind of lame that Infinity and Hyper are DLC, they were in the last trailer I believe, but even worse that they're incomplete. No worries though, as long as the other modes are still in, those guys had plenty of forms to start with. Definitely seems worth a play with that many riders.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I never really took an interest in Battride War after I saw it was a Dynasty Warrior clone and those games bore me to death. Is there more to the game then just blasting through mooks? Any good boss battles or anything like that?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
This thing is dumb, ugly, AND tiny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8FAUcLvfM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I dunno, it's really starting to grow on me. I like the whole "all 5 dock side-by-side" thing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The new credit sequence is almost here!!! :dance: :f5:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And I like how clean it looks. It's especially apparent when they put it next to Kyoryuzin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like in the preview where the red smokestack obscurrs the robot's face and blows smoke everywhere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What's the best place to use for importing ToQ-swag? Preferably something with decent (and now exorbitantly expensive) shipping options.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

What's the best place to use for importing ToQ-swag? Preferably something with decent (and now exorbitantly expensive) shipping options.

all shipping from japan is expensive unless you get the super slow SAL method and if you do that you might as well wait for ToQ to get the Power Rangers treatment.

Also there's no guarantee that it'll arrive and it won't be insured.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

all shipping from japan is expensive unless you get the super slow SAL method and if you do that you might as well wait for ToQ to get the Power Rangers treatment.

I dunno...I got my GabuRevolver off Ebay and it only had like $8 shipping on it. Maybe I "overpaid" for the revolver itself though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

I dunno...I got my GabuRevolver off Ebay and it only had like $8 shipping on it. Maybe I "overpaid" for the revolver itself though.

Possibly. I bought the GabuRevolver/sword combo when they came out and paid $70+~30 shipping for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

Possibly. I bought the GabuRevolver/sword combo when they came out and paid $70+~30 shipping for it.

My revolver was $65 + 8.80 shipping, so yeah, looks like I part of the item cost paid for the shipping.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
You can get insured SAL at AmiAmi. It's not much more expensive than non-insured but still much cheaper than EMS. That's where I bought all my Gokaiger mecha from and I think I ended up paying about $110-120 with shipping on the bigger stuff like GokaiOh and Gozyujin, and that was when the exchange rate was still around 79-82 yen = 1 USD. The smaller stuff I've ordered (Rider henshin belts, sentai changers) were usually only like $10-15 for shipping.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

I think what bugs me about it (the toys I've seen anyway) is how the lack of knees and elbows make it look stiff as hell.

EDIT: The train boner in the preview frame is rad as hell though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Fooley posted:

I think what bugs me about it (the toys I've seen anyway) is how the lack of knees and elbows make it look stiff as hell.

EDIT: The train boner in the preview frame is rad as hell though.

Yeah, I'm used to the robots not having much flexibility, but this might as well be a fixed pose model, the range of motion is tiny.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."

HKR posted:

I never really took an interest in Battride War after I saw it was a Dynasty Warrior clone and those games bore me to death. Is there more to the game then just blasting through mooks? Any good boss battles or anything like that?

You blast through the bosses, or they blast through you. If you don't like that style of game I wouldn't bother. You do have combos for the various forms, but button smashing works, you'll just get hit more. I was playing on normal, and died several times, but your Rider still levels up even if you fail the level so it wasn't painful. There is a challenge mode but that doesn't change the gameplay, just does thing like boost how powerful enemies are or take out healing items.

Actually just finished story mode (turns out I only had 4 more levels) and the end is pretty much all boss rush. Bosses themselves are not that exciting, some are more fun to fight, some are harder, and some are just cheep. And mixes of the above of course. I'd say it's more who you're fighting, the fun of beating up Phoenix for example, then the fighting itself.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rena posted:

You blast through the bosses, or they blast through you. If you don't like that style of game I wouldn't bother. You do have combos for the various forms, but button smashing works, you'll just get hit more. I was playing on normal, and died several times, but your Rider still levels up even if you fail the level so it wasn't painful. There is a challenge mode but that doesn't change the gameplay, just does thing like boost how powerful enemies are or take out healing items.

Actually just finished story mode (turns out I only had 4 more levels) and the end is pretty much all boss rush. Bosses themselves are not that exciting, some are more fun to fight, some are harder, and some are just cheep. And mixes of the above of course. I'd say it's more who you're fighting, the fun of beating up Phoenix for example, then the fighting itself.

If the end of that battle doesn't involve me kicking Phoenix to the sun then no sale :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly Haruto can't perform All Dragon's finisher in-game, so they can't recreate that scene. For some reason, Wizard's final form is All Dragon, but its finisher is just attacking with the Dragon parts before finishing it with a fire blast. It's lame.

Not quite as lame as the weird-rear end drill kick they gave Kiva Emperor, mind you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's some gameplay from the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57H_3ClJmzE

It doesn't seem like any of the environments are series-specific, so no Fuuto brawls. Just generic quarries and cities and poo poo. It's come to my attention that this quarry is from Decade x W. Shows how much I know.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't seem like any of the environments are series-specific, so no Fuuto brawls. Just generic quarries and cities and poo poo. It's come to my attention that this quarry is from Decade x W. Shows how much I know.

I think I might be more disappointed that the game's stages aren't wholly Backlot Quarry, Abandoned Factory (and Right Outside Abandoned Factory), Nondescript Forest, Underground Parking Lot, and Walkway Outside That One Stadium.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Don't forget That Overused Amphitheater and That One Bridge!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still wanna know exactly where That One Warehouse (Yes That One) is located. Not that I plan to visit it when I eventually take a vacation to Japan, oh no.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

I think I might be more disappointed that the game's stages aren't wholly Backlot Quarry, Abandoned Factory (and Right Outside Abandoned Factory), Nondescript Forest, Underground Parking Lot, and Walkway Outside That One Stadium.

You're forgetting On Top Of That One Building and Meadow Clearing Inside Forest

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My favorite has always been Inside That One Stadium but it's used pretty rarely these days, I think the last time it was used was Super Hero Wars Z when Haruto meets the Kyoryugers and I can't even remember the last time it was used before that.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite has always been Inside That One Stadium but it's used pretty rarely these days, I think the last time it was used was Super Hero Wars Z when Haruto meets the Kyoryugers and I can't even remember the last time it was used before that.

It was a plot point twice in Go-Busters.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wasn't that the place where the Decade vs everyone else thing went down

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I think that was where the Akibarangers staged their Dairanger remake too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, so Super Megaforce is on, and do these guys ever shut the hell up?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so Super Megaforce is on, and do these guys ever shut the hell up?

gently caress no.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was the first time I've watched Power Rangers in at least 15 years.

The gently caress happened? Was it always bad?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Waffleman_ posted:

It was always goofy and sometimes bad, but at its worst it was never this terrible. I enjoyed watching the Disney seasons as an adult and now I really regret the enthusiasm with which I greeted Saban's reacquisition of the franchise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Before Power Rangers was always aimed at like 8 to 11 year old boys.

Saban for whatever reason decided to aim at PreSchoolers now-and for some daft reason, thinks that to aim at preschoolers means that you must always have your characters saying something at all times because of bullshit.

Apparently Dino Chargers is going to be aimed back at 8-11 so maybe they'll up the ante of the writing back to the previous goofy.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWI7uZG6-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Before Power Rangers was always aimed at like 8 to 11 year old boys.

Saban for whatever reason decided to aim at PreSchoolers now-and for some daft reason, thinks that to aim at preschoolers means that you must always have your characters saying something at all times because of bullshit.
Are you sure that's not what 8-11 year old like now? Angry Orange is a thing that's just as much useless taking

• Locked thread