Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Awesome, I can't wait. I don't know why, but I'm way more excited for GotG than I have been for the past few Marvel movies.

If you're anything like me, then it might be because GOTG is something different. It's weird, most people on the street have no idea what it's about or who the characters are. Hell, I think your average comic reader probably doesn't (I don't). If someone told you X-men meets Star Wars, but in a good way, that might be close. Really, that's probably the best case scenario.

But it's not Batman (of which we've had 9 live action films) Superman (6), X-men (6-ish) Avengers (9 counting all solo films) or Spider-man (4). It's a long shot using an obscure reference book. It's something no one has ever seen before, and while the plot will likely follow a familiar path, it should be unique.

And if it works? Sky's the limit. Dr. Strange? Sure. Deadpool? (If he ever gets out of limbo) Almost a given. Wonder Woman? If DC can remove head from rear end.

Grem posted:

Citizen Kane was boring as gently caress and if Thor showed up and started whipping his hammer and hair around it would of been a much better movie.

Setting: Interior - An ornately decorated bed chamber. Lying on the bed, his life slowly ebbing away is Odin, King of Asgard

As Odin is lying there, he is seen gazing into an orb filled with vapor of many colors. As the camera zooms in, the vapor fades away and is replaced with a blurry image of a vast cityscape. His focus is entirely on this image, becoming clearer and clearer as the seconds pass. Suddenly his strength fails him and he falls back into his pillows. His arm, still clutching the orb falls to his side, over the edge of the bed.

ODIN (whispering): "Mjolnir..."

The orb falls to the ground, and shatters upon the floor, releasing a rainbow of sparkling mist that quickly evaporates to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

In an "i'll believe when I see it" Marvel are saying they are developing a Black Widow film but with no release date or further information I would presume it'll be the same as the Black Panther film they talk about sometimes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

In an "i'll believe when I see it" Marvel are saying they are developing a Black Widow film but with no release date or further information I would presume it'll be the same as the Black Panther film they talk about sometimes.

Yeah, I wouldn't assume it would happen anytime soon, but Scarlett Johansson kind of avoids the whole "movie studios don't want female-led films" thing by, you know, being Scarlett Johansson.

It probably won't be a superhero movie, though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Grem posted:

Thor was boring as gently caress and if Orson Welles showed up and started talking about peas it would have a much better movie.

FTFY.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't put a Black Widow movie as pie in the sky as Black Panther. She's had lead up roles, has name recognition and isn't named after a black power movement.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That sounds like a fairly likely development, honestly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

I wouldn't put a Black Widow movie as pie in the sky as Black Panther. She's had lead up roles, has name recognition and isn't named after a black power movement.

Oh I know but it's a film "their totally developing and not saying things because Cap 2 needs hype". Even though there's no chance of it coming out until at least 2017.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Marvel should consider adding a third movie slot to their slate. Movies with about half the budget of their blockbusters ($80-100M?). So you'd get a Black Widow, Hawkeye, Runaways, etc. movie hitting sometime around February/March, and keep your original April/May blockbuster slot, with your second new title/sequel blockbuster in November.

So in 2016 you could get something like Black Widow/Hawkeye in February, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in May and Captain Marvel in November.

Marvel finding something to do with Blade/Ghost Rider/Moonknight would also be nice. Maybe they're properties that could be explored in a Netflix Marvel "season 2" type deal. Where you get Blade/Ghost Rider/Moonknight and maybe Hellstrom or Cloak and Dagger getting 13 episode seasons, concluding in a Midnight Sons or Nightstalkers type team up.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Teek posted:

Marvel should consider adding a third movie slot to their slate. Movies with about half the budget of their blockbusters ($80-100M?). So you'd get a Black Widow, Hawkeye, Runaways, etc. movie hitting sometime around February/March, and keep your original April/May blockbuster slot, with your second new title/sequel blockbuster in November.

So in 2016 you could get something like Black Widow/Hawkeye in February, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in May and Captain Marvel in November.

There's a risk of oversaturating if they do that though, yeah people can't get enough right now but if the public start getting sick of superhero movies that'll blow up in their faces big time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Chompers posted:

There's a risk of oversaturating if they do that though, yeah people can't get enough right now but if the public start getting sick of superhero movies that'll blow up in their faces big time.

The last few times the public got sick of superhero movies was because the ones coming out loving sucked. As long as no one puts out any more "Tim Allen teaches superkids" or Schumacher Batman films, Marvel should be ok.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teek posted:

Marvel finding something to do with Blade/Ghost Rider/Moonknight would also be nice. Maybe they're properties that could be explored in a Netflix Marvel "season 2" type deal. Where you get Blade/Ghost Rider/Moonknight and maybe Hellstrom or Cloak and Dagger getting 13 episode seasons, concluding in a Midnight Sons or Nightstalkers type team up.

Then you'd have a Marvel film overlapping with Star Wars and Disney doesn't want that.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

She's had lead up roles, has name recognition and isn't named after a black power movement.

trying to resist pedantic impulse

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 14, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The last few times the public got sick of superhero movies was because the ones coming out loving sucked. As long as no one puts out any more "Tim Allen teaches superkids" or Schumacher Batman films, Marvel should be ok.

Even if they didn't there would still be no loving end to the minority of the audience shouting from the rooftops how sick of these movies they are (even though they still manage to show up for each one). I wonder if there was a similar minority back when Westerns were the big thing.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 15, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

Even if they didn't there would still be no loving end to the minority of the audience shouting from the rooftops how sick of these movies they are (even though they still manage to show up for each one). I wonder if there was a similar minority back when Westerns were the big thing.

The funny thing about this and in-built fan base is this was the assumption about YA books getting turned into movies. Studios saw Harry Potter (and loving Twilight) making huge money and figured they could adapt any YA book into a novel and get money back for it.

In some instances it worked, in others not so much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Try bringing up zombies anywhere, see what happens.

What I find funny is that things like "half-assed rom-com shot in two weeks" and "action movie about a cop or former cop having to shoot a million people" are far more overdone and uninspired than ninjas, pirates, robots, zombies or superheroes, but you never hear people decry them.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think that's because those genres of movies are so ensconced into the slate of movie releases year-in/year-out that to most of the movie-going public that's just what movies are in their minds, while the minority has actually learned that you are not in fact obligated to pay and watch them even though the same lesson seems to elude them when it comes to the blockbuster slate.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I think that's because those genres of movies are so ensconced into the slate of movie releases year-in/year-out that to most of the movie-going public that's just what movies are in their minds, while the minority has actually learned that you are not in fact obligated to pay and watch them even though the same lesson seems to elude them when it comes to the blockbuster slate.

Soon our nerd movies will be on the same level.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, that's what I was implying. The only difference between superhero movies and the Louvre is that not everything in the Louvre is great art.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Scarlett Johansson's star keeps rising, and the film could probably draw an audience just for her name. It's pretty smart, plus she'll have been in 3 Marvel films already so her character is well-established. It's probably easier to get that off the ground than Captain Marvel or whatever other female hero Marvel thinks could carry a solo film.

It's like how X-Men lucked into getting Jennifer Lawrence before she blew up and are making her character a lot more important now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
A Black Widow film could be a modern super spy thriller like old school Bond movies with gadgets, lairs and jumpsuited henchmen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should probably be a prequel. Just make it Salt 2.

Otherwise, what can Black Widow possibly do that Quicksilver or The Vision can't?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It should probably be a prequel. Just make it Salt 2.

Otherwise, what can Black Widow possibly do that Quicksilver or The Vision can't?

Espionage. Diplomacy. Seduction. Dirty deals. Killing people.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Be a female lead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

No she's not as powerful as Thor, Iron Man, or the Hulk therefore she is useless. Don't you know anything about how to solve a problem? The heaviest, most powerful tool in your arsenal should always and forever be the only thing you ever need to use no matter how delicate, small, or mundane the problem is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally like the definition of the Avengers and SHIELD right there.

Lurdiak posted:

I think you are underestimating The Vision.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 15, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I was gonna say that he couldn't do seduction, but then I remembered that Vision managed to have two kids...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

Literally like the definition of the Avengers and SHIELD right there.

I dunno. Cap is like completely outclassed by cosmic poo poo and he's still flying around in a space ship dealing with things that are way better than he is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dexo posted:

I dunno. Cap is like completely outclassed by cosmic poo poo and he's still flying around in a space ship dealing with things that are way better than he is.

He is a TACTICAL GENIUS, DAD. GET OUT OF MY ROOM IM TOO MAD TO TALK RIGHT NOW

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Speaking as a dude who gets movies for free, I'd totally pay to see a smart, competent, non-racist Black Panther movie. I mean, I don't know much about the character, but from skimming the Wikipedia article, what's not to like? A genius-level IQ for goofy super-science, the action and stealth capabilities of Batman, weird mysticism to introduce bona fide magic to the MCU, an interesting and original homeland to set the action in--I mean, I'm sure :foxnews: would raise a stink about the name, but they tried to say the loving Lego Movie, a 90-minute toy commercial, is anti-capitalist. No one under 60 gives a poo poo, and how many of those cranky geezers were going to a comic book movie anyway?

Then I remember those cranky geezers also probably run the company that can make this or not. :(

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dexo posted:

still the goofiest part of Infinity:

where did you come from, Cap
how are you swooping down from the heavens
did you have Carol carry you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair Cap does tend to jump from ridiculous heights, often without a parachute. It's literally in the last Cap trailer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

still the goofiest part of Infinity:

where did you come from, Cap
how are you swooping down from the heavens
did you have Carol carry you

Cap always jumps out of planes and poo poo without any parachute or anything.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

Speaking as a dude who gets movies for free, I'd totally pay to see a smart, competent, non-racist Black Panther movie. I mean, I don't know much about the character, but from skimming the Wikipedia article, what's not to like? A genius-level IQ for goofy super-science, the action and stealth capabilities of Batman, weird mysticism to introduce bona fide magic to the MCU, an interesting and original homeland to set the action in--I mean, I'm sure :foxnews: would raise a stink about the name, but they tried to say the loving Lego Movie, a 90-minute toy commercial, is anti-capitalist. No one under 60 gives a poo poo, and how many of those cranky geezers were going to a comic book movie anyway?

Then I remember those cranky geezers also probably run the company that can make this or not. :(
BET had a Black Panther animated series that was pretty dope. It even had Djimon Hounsou as T'Challa and a Stan Lee cameo!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair Cap does tend to jump from ridiculous heights, often without a parachute. It's literally in the last Cap trailer.

I know, but part of the setup of that fight was that they'd just wrecked their plane and had to proceed under their own power.

The image is more amusing than the context, anyways

let's have us a fight between like six or seven Spacegods and, somehow, Captain America
nobody in-universe feels the need to comment on this, because Captain America!

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 15, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dude, Captain America once stood up to Thanos who had just wrecked a shitload of powerful heroes and he had the Infinity Gauntlet. His whole deal is that the guy will never give up fighting no matter how badly the odds are stacked against him.

Like what was written one time, Cap has the voice that could command a god, and he does (Thor).

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
I wish he'd get absolutely wrecked a couple more times, like the aforementioned Thanos fight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Dude, Captain America once stood up to Thanos who had just wrecked a shitload of powerful heroes and he had the Infinity Gauntlet. His whole deal is that the guy will never give up fighting no matter how badly the odds are stacked against him.

Like what was written one time, Cap has the voice that could command a god, and he does (Thor).

Bingo. I wonder if the people ragging on Cap are the same people who like Batman because he's "realistic" and don't question him doing poo poo like taking out White Martians solo.

And that was Frank Miller during the "Born Again" arc of Daredevil, commanding Thor to put out fires that Nuke (the Captain America of Vietnam, with all that implies) started.

I liked how they paid brief homage to that scene in the Avengers movie when Cap told Thor and Iron Man to stop slapping their dicks together, although I don't think Chris Evans quite sold it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, the thing about command is that there's a whole lot more to it than (physical) power. A lot of it is charisma, which Cap is supposed to have coming out just about every place things can come out of. He may not be able to stand up for long in a fight against most of his allies, but he's got the charisma and will to lead them all the same which is what's far more important.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's also supposed to be a tactical genius, which JLA/Avengers displayed very well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mind the walrus posted:

He's also supposed to be a tactical genius, which JLA/Avengers displayed very well:

Justice League, Lambaste! is missing a little something.

• Locked thread