Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

CannedMacabre posted:

You know what the best part of a Strat is? The pick guard.

Urgghhhh tobacco burst. I hate tobacco burst.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I knew a kid in high school who took a chainsaw to his BC rich and just cut away like, most of the body below the strings (below when you're holding the guitar), and it looked significantly cooler than any unmodified BC Rich ever has or will.

Anyway,

Somewhere, Liberace is blushing.

Edit:

Second Edit:

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol don't hate on Liberace that dude still owns

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

once you get to a certain level of flamboyant it really doesn't matter what you do you're immune to mockery

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

once you get to a certain level of flamboyant it really doesn't matter what you do you're immune to mockery

See also: Bootsy Collins

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

A Good Username posted:

I see you and raise

Ahhh, the good old Swop Shop. The fact that I immediately recognised the carpet in this photo tells me I spend way too much time (and money) looking at second hand gear.

Some other gems from their current stock:

Signed by Paul Stanley!

Ugh, okay Ibanez you can go back to making pointy guitars again...

No idea what this is supposed to be.

:stare:

:argh: Bassists!

Actually I kind of like this one...

Fat guitar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That B&W Acoustic 12 string is a mariachi guitar if I ever saw one. It's pretty common for mariachi players to commission or buy sorta goofy looking instruments in the B&W color scheme. They look stupid on their own but they sort of work once everyone is in goofy costumes and stuff.

That Gretsch bass is pretty good from a certain standpoint. They sound pretty great and are small but still have good sustain so some people like them. One of my old school teachers used to play one before he had a Tobias (nothing says "I'm a Dad in a Jam Band!" like a Michael Tobias bass).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Don't mind me, just strummin' out a tune on Han Solo's frozen cock.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CannedMacabre posted:

Don't mind me, just strummin' out a tune on Han Solo's frozen cock.

It'll do the Kessel Spice Riff in under 12 parsecs.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Declan MacManus posted:

All of Metasonix's poo poo is like that

I would literally kill someone to get one of their vacuum tube drum modules.

Alas, yeah, the main thing preventing me from liking Metasonix is that I'd have "FELCH" or "PROLAPSE" or something written on every other control, and frankly I don't want people to :stonk: looking at my gear.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Okay, now play F# down on the 11th fret. That's the pegasus rear end. No, the other pegasus rear end.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Terry Bozzio took a weird turn recently, huh?

Dec 26, 2012

Harry in Rio posted:

that baby is all mine, you jelly?

i am incredibly jelly re: your arshole

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

i'm seeing a Star Wars cover band, bass player has the same thing except it's lando calrissian

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

CannedMacabre posted:

Ovation electric acoustic

poo poo I completely forgot how much i hate these guitars

nothing says "megachurch worship leader" like a cherryburst ovation with those loving tacky-rear end plastic backs and stupid, ineffectual soundholes and bad action and crappy build quality

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I wasnt happy with the previous Djentstick that was posted, missed out on the mids and thats just not acceptable

Im using tone wood and the finest Bareknuckle Aftermath and Ibby 7 string pickups to maximize on said toneweood.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Harry in Rio posted:

At first I was like "lol valvestate" but then I was like "wait a minute, a CD input?"

So, am jelly.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Astrobastard posted:

I wasnt happy with the previous Djentstick that was posted, missed out on the mids and thats just not acceptable

Im using tone wood and the finest Bareknuckle Aftermath and Ibby 7 string pickups to maximize on said toneweood.

Put the pickups on a swivel so you can have them parallel or perpendicular to the string, thus maximizing your tone capabilities.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry in Rio posted:

more interested in the crate excalibur tbqh

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Sockington posted:

Put the pickups on a swivel so you can have them parallel or perpendicular to the string, thus maximizing your tone capabilities.

I was actually thinking I could pivot them on one screw for adjustable Tone™, I'll have to figure out how to wire them up considering I've never actually wired up pickups before but the actual build should be painless

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Astrobastard posted:

Haha, yessssss!!!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Astrobastard posted:

I was actually thinking I could pivot them on one screw for adjustable Tone™, I'll have to figure out how to wire them up considering I've never actually wired up pickups before but the actual build should be painless

A two pickup set-up is very easy to do, you should find everything you need here http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

I don't have PM's so if you need any more help, just shoot me an email; wfwild@hotmail.co.uk

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 14, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'd wire them both in series to the output jack for maximum br00talness

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
gently caress anyone whose bass drum doesnt have a blanket in it.

I also have rags duck taped to the bottom heads on all my other drums.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Do morally ugly guitars count?

I was learning guitar in high school and ended up with an Ibanez much like this:

I absolutely hated that piece of poo poo. Every single thing with it was a struggle. I don't remember the terminology for most of these things but:

- It had two little locking clamps up by the nut that were, I guess, supposed to help you stay in tune while thrashing or leaping around a stage or something. If I remember correctly you had to use an Alan wrench to unlock them.

- It had a "floating tremolo" (at least that's what the burnout at Sam Ash who sold it to me called it), which meant that the guitar was never, ever in tune, not even for the briefest of moments. One tiny tap of the whammy bar and every single string was off pitch, forever. I was a retarded teenager and found tuning a guitar to be a life-or-death struggle under even the most favorable conditions, but it was pretty much impossible with this horrible instrument.

About ten years later I traded it in for a $99 Fender acoustic guitar, which was a lot more fun and infinitely more playable.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Gilgameshback posted:

I absolutely hated that piece of poo poo. Every single thing with it was a struggle. I don't remember the terminology for most of these things but:

- It had two little locking clamps up by the nut that were, I guess, supposed to help you stay in tune while thrashing or leaping around a stage or something. If I remember correctly you had to use an Alan wrench to unlock them.

- It had a "floating tremolo" (at least that's what the burnout at Sam Ash who sold it to me called it), which meant that the guitar was never, ever in tune, not even for the briefest of moments. One tiny tap of the whammy bar and every single string was off pitch, forever. I was a retarded teenager and found tuning a guitar to be a life-or-death struggle under even the most favorable conditions, but it was pretty much impossible with this horrible instrument.

About ten years later I traded it in for a $99 Fender acoustic guitar, which was a lot more fun and infinitely more playable.

So you had a Floyd Rose or similar? Correctly setup they never ever go out of tune no matter how much you dive bomb or whatever. That's sort of the whole point with those.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My mom got pissed because I kept using her throw pillows.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Klas posted:

So you had a Floyd Rose or similar? Correctly setup they never ever go out of tune no matter how much you dive bomb or whatever. That's sort of the whole point with those.

In fairness, if you don't know how to set up a floyd rose then they can be a bit of a pain. The cheaper licensed ones can be squiffy too, especially when they get worn.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Dr. Klas posted:

I believe this was a real bargain basement Floyd Rose (the guitar cost about $200, if I remember), and it certainly wasn't set up correctly. My guitar teacher mostly played acoustic jazz and could barely figure out how to string the guitar, much less get the tremolo working right. And I knew nothing at all about it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Klas posted:

Well, I have an Ibanez with a lopro edge (supposedly high end Floyd Rose clone) and that poo poo just would not be in tune no matter how many springs etc with heavier strings. I tried everything for a few years untill I blocked it. I put a Tremol-no in it a few years ago and it was still a piece of poo poo without everything locked down.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

W424 posted:

Well, I have an Ibanez with a lopro edge (supposedly high end Floyd Rose clone) and that poo poo just would not be in tune no matter how many springs etc with heavier strings. I tried everything for a few years untill I blocked it. I put a Tremol-no in it a few years ago and it was still a piece of poo poo without everything locked down.

The cheaper copies are made out of this cheapo soft metal that wears really easily. For a Floyd-Rose to work properly it really needs to use decent steel and the ones on the cheaper Ibanez's are loving terrible.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 14, 2014

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Gilgameshback posted:

Do morally ugly guitars count?

I was learning guitar in high school and ended up with an Ibanez much like this:

Those RGs were far superior to anything that the other manufacturers produced 8-10 years ago. Wizard neck, pretty decent pickups, floyd rose (dont forgot your tuning comb), not bad for the price at all. Was pretty funny in our band though because the 2 guitarists used to have to switch from an (£800ish) RG and a £2k PRS, to a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Squier Strat because one of the songs was in Drop C. Thanks locked tuning

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently this was owned by Porl Thompson of The Cure

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

Apparently this was owned by Porl Thompson of The Cure

this at least explains why their basslines are so fun to play, dude's a huge nerd

e: actually what the gently caress instrument is that anyway some sort of electric banjo bass monstrosity? i like those string smacker buttons though

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dewgy posted:

this at least explains why their basslines are so fun to play, dude's a huge nerd

e: actually what the gently caress instrument is that anyway some sort of electric banjo bass monstrosity? i like those string smacker buttons though

apparently some guy makes this contraption that you can attach to your guitar to play it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFdf2Dh4RH0

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Your recording engineer will thank you. I know I would.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

The cheaper copies are made out of this cheapo soft metal that wears really easily. For a Floyd-Rose to work properly it really needs to use decent steel and the ones on the cheaper Ibanez's are loving terrible.

pretty much the only floyds worth a poo poo are the original and gotoh licensed ones

jackson's older licensed floyds were alright, but ibanez's have never been very good

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

pretty much the only floyds worth a poo poo are the original and gotoh licensed ones

jackson's older licensed floyds were alright, but ibanez's have never been very good

They are cheap to replace at least, you can get a replacement of the same quality for just over £20 if you know where to look, you can reinforce the pivot points by cutting and filing a stainless steel washer in half and gluing it on with epoxy, makes them last twice as long but looks a bit goofy.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
All of my guitars are ugly as heck. I do have an Ibanez Jem 555 thing, plays well but it's got a lovely monkey grip thing, and the fretboard looks like frilly poo poo. It's got one of those floating tremolo things though, and it stays in tune really well. I don't know much about guitars, but power chords sound nice on it.

Here's an unrelated ugly / comfy guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ball Cupper posted:

All of my guitars are ugly as heck. I do have an Ibanez Jem 555 thing, plays well but it's got a lovely monkey grip thing, and the fretboard looks like frilly poo poo. It's got one of those floating tremolo things though, and it stays in tune really well. I don't know much about guitars, but power chords sound nice on it.

Here's an unrelated ugly / comfy guitar

I miss my furry guitar :(

Check out this thing, it's like a burrito. A tone burrito!

yours for $3000

• Locked thread