Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Stroop There It Is posted:

The order of terminology (from the corebook) basically goes:

I mean that literally, not that I don't understand it. Ancilla is the word for slave girl. He's a Prince who's a slave girl, which is already two rungs up the vampiric ladder. That's nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

gatz posted:

This must be another Cain and Abel painting. It's different from the ones in the Venture Tower.

Actually it's the Peter Paul Rubens painting again, only not flipped. So while LaCroix's is definitely fake, maybe Strauss stole his from the Courtauld gallery.

Or maybe he just uses magic to make the painting seem to be there.

I remember the Elizabeth Dane mission as being tough as balls, but I've might've tried to stealth it with 0-1 points in stealth.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

MJ12 posted:

She might just have high willpower. The average human has a willpower of 3. Exceptional people can go up to 10, which is like .1% of the population. At that point you are ridiculously resistant to Dominate.
True! That's why I said "probably", since it fails no matter what.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I mean that literally, not that I don't understand it. Ancilla is the word for slave girl. He's a Prince who's a slave girl, which is already two rungs up the vampiric ladder. That's nonsensical.
Oh, okay. I figured it'd be good to lay out the terminology, since it comes up relatively often. Apparently a less common, less literal alternate definition of ancilla is "an auxiliary or accessory", which is what the English term "ancillary" is more directly related to. I'm guessing it has more to do with that definition (ancillae are there to serve their elders) than female slaves/maidservants specifically. But I'm willing to bet it was chosen to be condescending (I found another definition saying that it's an "opprobrious of man"). However, my knowledge of Latin is abysmal, so I'll trust what you know over internet definitions. :)

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 14, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Napoleon is the Canadian girlfriend of French vampires.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Barf Wight posted:

Actually it's the Peter Paul Rubens painting again, only not flipped.

You're right. Why didn't I catch that? Fixed.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Barf Wight posted:

I remember the Elizabeth Dane mission as being tough as balls, but I've might've tried to stealth it with 0-1 points in stealth.

There is a way to accomplish all your objectives on the Elizabeth Dane that bypasses most of the trouble in the mission. It is a lifesaver.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I just wanna say these info dumps are pretty damned interesting.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tithin Melias posted:

I just wanna say these info dumps are pretty damned interesting.

Glad to provide them. Later I'll have a fun one about the plausibility of sewers in video game settings!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LeJackal posted:

Glad to provide them. Later I'll have a fun one about the plausibility of sewers in video game settings!

From what I recall, the ones in this game are some of the most bizarre and impractical I've seen.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Tiggum posted:

From what I recall, the ones in this game are some of the most bizarre and impractical I've seen.

That's saying something. I'm thinking of Super Mario RPG in particular, but I'm sure there are others.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hey, do most people get asked before their Embrace or is it "Oh by the way vampires are real and you're a vampire."
Is it common for ghouls to get 'upgraded'?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rockopolis posted:

Hey, do most people get asked before their Embrace or is it "Oh by the way vampires are real and you're a vampire."

It absolutely depends on the siring vampire. The Nosferatu, for example, rarely ghoul anyone they don't intend to embrace later, which is good news for Knox. Honestly the Nosferatu are the least dickheaded clan out there, short of the Salubri.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Rockopolis posted:

It depends on a multitude of factors.

Clan tradition is one of them. On one end of the spectrum, we have the Giovanni clan. The vast majority of Giovanni received their Embrace after serving the family for decades as ghouls. (Yes, family - Giovanni pick their ghouls/childer from the ranks of their own mortal descendants). On other end, your typical Caitiff generally wakes up inside some dumpster with a heart that no longer beats and a sire who didn't bother to stick around and explain stuff.

Sect traditions are also a thing. For example, embracing ghouls is very uncommon among the Sabbat, mostly because ghouls (outside of battle monstrosities fleshcrafted by Tzimisce) are considered to be literally subhuman bags of poo poo. A Sabbat equivalent of 'promoting' a ghoul would be giving Creation Rites to a shovelhead, elevating them to the status of True Sabbat.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Fatal Attraction, the "guide to ghouls" has a whole list of the clans and what ghouls and domitors are generally like. I can share some here.

Brujah: These ghouls are usually just muscle, as the clan aptitude for Potence and Celerity makes a nasty combo among mortals. All ghouls are drawn into the Brujah's "cause", but only the ones who actually embrace it on an intellectual level, the activists or collegiates, are the ones really considered for the embrace. The rest are just lackeys and bullyboys who often cause more problems than they're worth. Those are usually picked from the ranks of the homeless or gangs.

Gangrel: For the most part, Gangrel ghouls are animals. The few human ghouls who show up are misguided attempts at reconnecting the domitor with their fading humanity. But they're abandoned almost every time. Most neonates are Embraced then left alone to either succeed or die.

Malkavian: Oh, dear... These ghouls come from just about anywhere, depending on the Malk's desires or "instincts". The Lunatics' blood causes derangements in their ghouls, so every one of them is mad, though not to the extent of their domitor. Many ghouls come from mental institutions or were otherwise already broken before the Malkavian gave them their vitae. Perhaps that's why they were drawn to the ghoul in the first place. An Embrace is just up to the whim of the domitor. If they don't need a childe, they don't make one. If they do make one, they probably couldn't tell you why.

Nosferatu: As stated before, the Nosferatu take great care in choosing who to ghoul. The same amount of forethought goes into choosing who gets an Embrace, so if they ghoul you, you're worthy of being one of them.

Toreador: Socialites and artistes are the ones most likely to be ghouled by the Toreador, and all of them will butter up their domitor's ego. Of course, you have to go with the latest trend, darling. You don't want to have last season's ghouls hanging around, do you? That alone is a reason for a Toreador to cut off the supply of vitae. True artists, workers of masterpieces, those are the ones likeliest to get the Embrace from the bevy of ghouls that hang on to their domitor's every word.

Tremere: Ghouls of the Tremere clan are often used as expendable resources against the clan's enemies. They get tatted up with a ritual thaumaturgical symbol and sent on nightly errands that just so happen to bring them in contact with, say, an Assamite or Tzimisce plot. Then the magic activates and... well, that's probably it for the ghoul. The remainder are used as research assistants. The ones that truly grasp blood magic are the ones most likely to be Embraced.

Ventrue: Ventrue ghouls range from yes men for their domitor to unwaveringly loyal right-hand men. The clan prefers to ghoul older mortals, usually sick, to ensure loyalty by avoiding the painful death the vampire prevented. Men and women with the right mind for business and politics are given the real tests of loyalty, ensuring they're right for the Embrace.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

What happens if a vamp cuts off the supply of vitae for a ghoul, anyway?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheMcD posted:

What happens if a vamp cuts off the supply of vitae for a ghoul, anyway?

I believe the answer given earlier in the thread was that the ghoul rapidly ages to whatever they would naturally be if they hadn't been a ghoul, so if they've passed their normal human lifespan then they die.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
So Malkavian ghouls go crazy, but Nosferatu ghouls don't go ugly? Weird.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Tiggum posted:

I believe the answer given earlier in the thread was that the ghoul rapidly ages to whatever they would naturally be if they hadn't been a ghoul, so if they've passed their normal human lifespan then they die.

How rapidly? Are we talking Last Crusade fast, or could a "young" ghoul potentially have enough time to find another vampire?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PFlats posted:

So Malkavian ghouls go crazy, but Nosferatu ghouls don't go ugly? Weird.

Nosferatu ghouls do go ugly. Not as ugly as Nosferatu, but it doesn't help. This may have been contradicted by later sourcebooks, but it shows up in Hunters Hunted (where there's a ghoul biker gang roaming the US and mugging vampires for their blood).

NullBlack posted:

How rapidly? Are we talking Last Crusade fast, or could a "young" ghoul potentially have enough time to find another vampire?

Not that rapidly. First the ghoul has to burn all of their blood, which isn't a fast process if the ghoul isn't activating disciplines or healing.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Vicissitude posted:

the clan prefers to ghoul older mortals, usually sick, to ensure loyalty by avoiding the painful death the vampire prevented.

Does that mean ghouls can't become sick?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

They can't get sick or age. It's one of the few good things about being a ghoul.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

gatz posted:

Does that mean ghouls can't become sick?

They also can't conceive children.*

*May not apply to bullshit splatbook rituals.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ulmont posted:

Nosferatu ghouls do go ugly. Not as ugly as Nosferatu, but it doesn't help. This may have been contradicted by later sourcebooks, but it shows up in Hunters Hunted (where there's a ghoul biker gang roaming the US and mugging vampires for their blood).
Gotcha. That's what I expected, but Knox didn't seem particularly deformed.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

UrbicaMortis posted:

They can't get sick or age. It's one of the few good things about being a ghoul.

I wish my cat could get ghouled, he always has a cold.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

PFlats posted:

You should have seen him before.....

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

PFlats posted:

Maybe has has bacne, or stretch marks, or, like, eight nipples. Something that he can cover with his goofy vampire jacket or heavy make-up. Nosferatu ghoul disfigurements are nowhere near as pervasive or obviously supernatural as the kind that comes with being embraced into Clan Ugly.

Or maybe he's just relatively new. Ghouls don't need feeding too often to remain ghouls, so if he's only being fed enough to maintain his ghoul-ness it can take quite a while for deformities to start cropping up.

Or maybe his deformation is the overwhelming urge to say 'aw man' constantly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LeJackal posted:

They also can't conceive children.*

I'm not sure about this one - I thought that was actually how the revenant families were created, though hundreds of years of inbreeding ghouls?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ulmont posted:

I'm not sure about this one - I thought that was actually how the revenant families were created, though hundreds of years of inbreeding ghouls?

More like breeding families from which to select ghouls, but let me get out my oWoD books to double check. I know in nWoD they can't normally conceive.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PFlats posted:

He's got yellow eyes.

Edit: Also I want to say it's ghoul women who can't bear a child to term without coming off the vampire blood. Ghoul men can father children. I think.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

He's got yellow eyes.

Edit: Also I want to say it's ghoul women who can't bear a child to term without coming off the vampire blood. Ghoul men can father children. I think.

I've got Fatal Addiction open and we were all wrong in one way or another. Ghouls can fall ill, though the Vitae in their body slows or diminishes many symptoms. The process halts cancer in its tracks, at least. Ghouls do manifest, subtly, effects or flaws of their clans, though this effect varies. Finally, ghouls can breed*, though a fetus will be ghouled instantly and so cannot be brought to term that way - no problem for male ghouls, though, they can impregnate all they'd like.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ghoul dump!

Vampires burn blood every night--1BP/night just to wake up and "be alive." Ghouls burn 1BP/month to retain their ghoulness. This blood use is on top of any other blood that is burned to heal, power disciplines, etc.

The Vampire Blood in a ghoul's system is "separate" from their own blood--considering they typically ingest it, that shouldn't be a surprise. You can't get a step towards a blood bond to the ghoul's master by draining one, for example.
As mentioned, ghouls don't age, don't tend to get sick, and can heal almost as good as vampires, provided they have enough vampire blood in their system. That's why Mercurio was able to hold it together despite being used as a pinata--and why he said that the vamp blood stopped working. He blew through the amount in his system to heal the most mortal of his wounds.
Ghouls automatically get a dot of potence--so even the scrawniest of ghouls or smallest rat is surprisingly strong. Brutes become almost inhumanly strong.
They can also pick up other disciplines their domitor (vampire sugardaddy) has. The physical disciplines (celerity, potence, fortitude) are easier, but any discipline could be learned with enough training and time. Beware Tzimisce fleshcrafting ghouls. They are limited in how many "dots" of a discipline they can learn--it's dependant on the generation of the vampire blood they are given. So the ghoul of a low generation elder could be more powerful than a common high gen vampire.
In terms of procreation...male ghouls have it easier. Because the blood induces a quasi-static state for your body, and pregnancy is a highly transformative condition, most female ghouls either can't get pregnant, or it lasts for a long, long time...this is really one of those "really??" questions that crop up that doesn't have a hard answer.

Ghouls can also reflect their domitor's clan flaws. Nosferatu ghouls develop skin conditions or other deformations. Malkavian ghouls get unhinged or some other random strength disorder. Brujah ghouls tend to have anger issues, etc. Ghouls of some clans don't get much of this at all (tremere and ventrue, for example). The longer one is a ghoul, the more this develops.

Which brings us ghouls running out of blood. If one does for whatever reason (no more supply, blew through it healing or powering disciplines, etc), a few things happen. First, of course, is that they lose access to the perks of ghouldom--disciplines, healing, resistance to injury and illness, etc. Over the course of the next few weeks they'll start to "Catch up" to their natural age. This is a real concern for Mercurio as he's over 50 but looks to be in his 20s-30s. Here's hoping he gets resupplied soon. If they do get resupplied the reversion process halts, but whatever aging has occurred remains.
If the ghoul is really old (80-100+) he'll likely drop dead within a week or two. If truly ancient (200+) he might only have a few days, if that. Less "Last Crusade" and more "Forever Young" (the mel gibson flick from when he was known as a handsome leading actor and not for being King rear end in a top hat).

Ghouls can survive going from vamp to vamp to get their fix, though that can get difficult since most vamps don't hand out their blood willingly. Ghouls are also susceptible to the Blood Bond--extremely so since they require a regular infusion to keep going.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Because the blood induces a quasi-static state for your body, and pregnancy is a highly transformative condition, most female ghouls either can't get pregnant, or it lasts for a long, long time...this is really one of those "really??" questions that crop up that doesn't have a hard answer.

The Fatal Addition FAQ suggests that it was deliberately left out.

quote:

Q: Can ghouls get pregnant?

A: I've had a couple of people email me asking this question. There are definitely sources that say the nature of the blood enhances the sex drive of ghouls, often the addiction of the blood transferring to other perverse addictions, including sex. Males don't tend to have a problem as far as reproduction is concerned, for a female however, carrying a baby to term is problematic. Remember that vitae slows (halts) the aging process, by extension, a child conceived would never come to term as long as the mother was imbibing. If a female was ghouled after she was pregnant, the growth of the fetus could also be stunted. Another possibility, is the shock of the fetus gaining vitae through the placenta would result in a miscarriage - this might just be the easiest way to go - this is the World of Darkness and not a great place to raise a ghoulchild. Of course, the Storyteller has final say in these things, and if you really want your ghoul character to be a mother, I suggest you work something out with your ST. A compromise could mean a stamina roll when blood is drank, to determine whether the unborn ghoul can survive the process. Another alternative, if you look at revenant physiology is that the gestation period can take an extremely long time, as the growth of the fetus is stunted, but not halted. "Ghoul: Fatal Addiction" left this area vague, maybe because all in all, the subject is touchy and can even be somewhat offensive.
http://www.fataladdiction.com/faq.html

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. There are a number of Really, Really Dumb™ questions that shouldn't need to be asked/answered from a systemic view. It would be like going up to Stan Lee and asking him if the Thing's dork is made of the same orange rock as the rest of him.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

To think; they wouldn't have these questions if they realized that aging is a separate phenomenon from gestation and maturation. Aging is the body bit-by-bit breaking down and not repairing fully (and so makes sense that ghouling/vamping would halt it); gestation and maturation are the body building up.

I realize, I've just brought science into fantasy; a kitten somewhere is dead now.

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!

OAquinas posted:

Ghouls can also reflect their domitor's clan flaws. Nosferatu ghouls develop skin conditions or other deformations. Malkavian ghouls get unhinged or some other random strength disorder. Brujah ghouls tend to have anger issues, etc. Ghouls of some clans don't get much of this at all (tremere and ventrue, for example). The longer one is a ghoul, the more this develops.

Ghouls can survive going from vamp to vamp to get their fix, though that can get difficult since most vamps don't hand out their blood willingly. Ghouls are also susceptible to the Blood Bond--extremely so since they require a regular infusion to keep going.

So a ghoul opportunistic enough to feed from multiple domitors could develop Brujah mood swings, Nosferatu boils, and Malkavian paranoia?

Better than getting some Giovanni/Lasombra/Ravnos hybrid Aspergers, I suppose.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SpookyTurtle posted:

So a ghoul opportunistic enough to feed from multiple domitors could develop Brujah mood swings, Nosferatu boils, and Malkavian paranoia?

Better than getting some Giovanni/Lasombra/Ravnos hybrid Aspergers, I suppose.

Essentially, yes. There's actually a section in Ghouls: Fatal Addiction where a free ghoul who's taken to hunting vampires gives other free ghouls advice on how to take out vampires and tells them what the different vampire clans' blood will do to them.

Bear in mind though that the oddities of the blood will usually only become very pronounced when a ghoul has been drinking a particular clan's blood for a few months. And AFAIK there aren't any actual effects in the system for drinking the blood of one vampire or another, it's just flavor.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. There are a number of Really, Really Dumb™ questions that shouldn't need to be asked/answered from a systemic view. It would be like going up to Stan Lee and asking him if the Thing's dork is made of the same orange rock as the rest of him.
The Player's Guide to the Garou has a pretty terrible one - "what happens if two pre-First Change Garou make the beast with two backs with one another?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

NullBlack posted:

I realize, I've just brought science into fantasy; a kitten somewhere is dead now.

To late. White Wolf already did that. Dr Netchurch, Malkavian researcher, discovered the Blood Point in Time of Thin Blood. He called it the 'vitae efficiency unit'.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

NullBlack posted:

To think; they wouldn't have these questions if they realized that aging is a separate phenomenon from gestation and maturation. Aging is the body bit-by-bit breaking down and not repairing fully (and so makes sense that ghouling/vamping would halt it); gestation and maturation are the body building up.

Ahh, but wait! Vamping explicitly stalls the maturation process (just ask Claudia), so it makes sense that ghouling would as well...

...drat, there went another kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

To late. White Wolf already did that. Dr Netchurch, Malkavian researcher, discovered the Blood Point in Time of Thin Blood. He called it the 'vitae efficiency unit'.

Nah, that's perfectly fine; it's like the Thaum. It's applying existing scientific laws to fantasy that kills kittens.

ulmont posted:

Ahh, but wait! Vamping explicitly stalls the maturation process (just ask Claudia), so it makes sense that ghouling would as well...

...drat, there went another kitten.

Yes, but it's not THAT it explicitly stalls it, it's WHY does it stall it? Aging makes sense, given that it's effectively the sum of billions of tiny, tiny injuries over time; vampirism boosts the healing process, thus negating the injuries such that they can't accumulate (The fact that ex-ghouls catch up with their chronological age is another problem, but can be ignored because it's cool). Maturation isn't an injury; it's practically the polar opposite.

Now I'm just imagining an infant being embraced. Eternally young and eternally stupid, given that the brain isn't fully developed.

Kittens are overrated.

Who's Claudia?

• Locked thread